Hermitage Hall Employee Reviews

It is what it is... Yes it's tough, but these kids need you.
management (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 28, 2018
They serve the most abused and neglected children anywhere! Those kids others turn away, those kids learned to survive. They save and change lives.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
long hours at times
Dangerous
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 25, 2018
Dangerously understaffed. The kids have violent tendencies and can seriously hurt you. You are often left alone on the unit and are outnumbered. Prepare to be in physical fights daily.

There is no structure in place. It's actually more trauma being heaped upon the poor children. Some kids genuinely fear for their life there. This place needs to be shut down.

It was so stressful working there I almost developed stomach ulcers.

Dont work there. Force them to close their doors.
Pros
None.
Cons
Dangerous, understaffed, witness child abuse
You make the call
Caring Employee (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 5, 2018
Life is about choices. Hermitage Hall was a choice I made with no regrets. I find most people who bash previous jobs probably were terminated. The kids were awesome and I enjoyed my tenure there. Management has a job to do like anyone else. I had no complaints about management because I was allowed to do my job without being micro managed. The experience at HH was truly appreciated and those children touched my heart.
Pros
Do your job and you will have no problems
Cons
Can never get caught up on work
Place is a joke
Employee (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 20, 2018
Not enough staff, and they dont appreciate the staff .CEO brings in kids who are dangerous, and doesnt care when staff get hurt..High Turnover for MHAs as well as nursing.. too many kids on the units, too many fights..We are supposed to be helping kids, but in these conditions, their sole purpose is to fill beds..the girls cant even get decent sanitary napkins.. Nurses for the most part seem geuinely concerned, but a couple have nasty attiudes to the staff and kids. At night, there may be one staff to 25 kids.. how safe is that?? Running off good staff.. Some staff really try.. they care, but upper managemnt for the most part are jokes.. They need to be investigated, and hoe are they not on the news? Seriously??!
Pros
A few caring staff
Cons
About everything else
Professional
Professional (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 4, 2018
First of all if you want to help the kids and don't mind being bitten, hit, and cursed at then go for it!!!! Most staff nice or great to work with. Others, have not so great. Some need to be there themselves.
CEO you will never see! Paid average. At times, you work by yourself which is a unsafe environment. There is no security so beware!!! Enter at own risk.
Pros
trying to make difference in kids lives, flexiable work sch, most people are great to work with.
Cons
short breaks, forced to stay over, shortage of staff, have to work per self at times, needs security at place all 3 shifts due to violent nature of some of the kids.
Out numbered by students and no help daily
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 27, 2018
You may go 10hrs with no lunch or bath room break. When I Exspressed that I was not happy about my work environment, my boss hid my paycheck and I did not receive it until the day after payday. I had to threaten legal action to get my paycheck. It’s a shame because the kids you work with are the great part about the job. It’s the adults throwing around the little power they have that make it a miserable place to work.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Every thing besides the kids
Do not work here.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 19, 2018
It's not the kids. I repeat: the reason people don't stay at their job here really has nothing at all to do with the residents. At all. It's the nonsense that one has to deal with while working there with management.

Ask a question and expect 10 different answers.

People are not adequately trained.

People do not have necessary certifications or licenses that are needed in their position.

Say something about what is wrong and then you'll be targeted.

I have never worked in such a poorly managed work environment. Hostile work environment. CEO literally does not care what happens as long as money is coming in.
Pros
Working with the kids
Cons
Where to even begin...
Unethical
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 16, 2018
Unstable work environment. The kids are out of control, hit staff, not allowed to call the police. Upper management only cares about money and not the staff or kids. Not allowed to file CPS reports unless you get permission.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Unethical
Terrible management
MHA (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 1, 2017
The management is terrible you may have a few good supervisors who would actually care to help you while at work then you have the kids and it not there fault but it does get very challenging . The building needs to be re-evaluated and something better needs to come from this place.
Pros
Free food, building good relationships with some good kids, networking
Cons
Short breaks, low pay for all the stuff you have to deal with
Stressful and no structure
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 9, 2017
They did not follow all rules. Stressful and no structure. The patients didn't have therapeutic structure. No growth, and could possibly cause one to be career less because of the lack of knowledge when dealing with children
Pros
A place to work
Cons
Terrible terrible
NO Comment
Intern Therapist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 25, 2017
No comment. I was placed here for 6 months as an intern. I picked up several invaluable skills as a new therapist and am grateful for my experience there.
Working at Hermitage Hall
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2017
My priority is the Residents. It's important for them to have structure however it's also important for them to feel safe. Hardest part of my job is when we get a new Resident trust is a huge factor in my profession. Our culture is different than the real world we are there because of the trauma our Residents have been through so it is our job to meet them where their at no matter what level that may be and work with them so they can learn to trust again and love their selves once again. Not all the time is it that easy because some residents have not only trauma but mental health problems so its our job as a team to work with them no matter what it takes to help them find their way back to themselves in a positive matter. The most enjoyable part of my job is to watch a Resident walk out of the facility being a new and improved version of their self. What I have leaned about management is that each supervisor has a different way of doing things and when your on their shift it's best to know their likes and dislikes it will make your shift a lot better. There no reason to get upset everyone has their own way of doing things.
Pros
making a difference
Cons
consistency with supervisors
hard work
Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 29, 2017
hermitage hall was a challenging work place due to its high turn over rate with keeping employees.Was a stable environment for the kids to live in and receive therapeutic help.
Pros
kids completing program
Cons
no help running building
Risky business
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 15, 2017
You're supposed to work with 8 kids (state law) but if we're understaffed you can work with more. Some of these kids don't care about you, and will push, punch, bite, spit at, throw stuff at you. And what are you allowed to do? Write them up. Management acts like they can't be bothered to help you. Staff here is mostly awesome and honestly they are what makes the job worth it. That and the free food you get (what the kids eat). You can be mandated to stay, so if you worked 8 hours you could end up staying another 8. Most people work double shifts anyway. You get to make a lot of overtime.
Pros
Free food, awesome staff, doing good for the community
Cons
Management, pay, stress
Not a Good Look
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 16, 2017
only good thing about this job is the help that your giving the children. Management and work culture is terrible. they have a high employee turn over so you can get a lot of overtime with time/half pay!
Refused to apply
Mental Health Technician applicant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 28, 2016
After reading the reviews, I most definitely wont be applying for a job there. This is awful and my heart melts for those poor kids. No love, just an asset for the greed of the mouths of upper management that represents pure evil. God, please deliver those poor kids from these demonic people.
Kids were amazing
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 23, 2016
It was wonderful working with those kids but staff overall is not very great. Those kids just really need love. People to show them they are cared for.
Run in the opposite direction!!!!!
Former teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 9, 2016
do not apply! This is not a good place to work! Management is horrible and they do not support the staff! The students or may I say inmates will set you up and cause you your job!
to much overtime.
Special ed teacher (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 5, 2016
many times were required to stay and work as mha for a paycut and work 16 hours and still required to come in and do your regular job the next day, left very little time for planning and grading papers and other responsibilities
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
to many hours but no time to do actual job
Best work enviornment I've ever worked in
Sr. Counselor/Interim Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 22, 2015
Best work in environment I've ever been in. Every level of management was great. Only complaint was that I wish I was making more money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hermitage Hall. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3