Hernando County Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

Loved the Job, not the cliques
Dispatcher, Call taking, Teletype (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLFebruary 18, 2018
I absolutely loved my job and what I did, and I even miss it a lot. The cliques however are abundant with a lot of favoritism. It is so bad that the turnover has been very high for over a decade. There are postings online constantly with an article even recently posted with the demand for so many dispatchers. If you are a gentleman who wants a foot in the door, you have a much better chance and will be treated better. As a female, as long as you know what you are in for and plan to use this position as a stepping stone, you can do this. If you like cliques, then this is the place for you too. Personally, I enjoy doing my job without any added drama and hypocrisy if at all possible.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Little to no overtime
productive and rewarding job
Operator (Current Employee) –  Brooksville, FLAugust 21, 2017
I really enjoy working here and have learned how to get people help quickly and accurately. We assist the public on emergencies/ non-emergency situations.
Pros
healthcare, helping people, great supervisors
Cons
long shifts
good career opportunities
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Hernando County, FLMay 10, 2017
The Hernando County Sheriff's Office is a good career opportunity For individuals that want to work hard and in return get great benefits and pay. I would recommend the Sheriff's Office for anyone interested in making something of themselves
Pros
benefits, job security, and pay
Cons
work schedule may be hard for a family life
Constant revolving door, wrong people get promoted.
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLNovember 16, 2016
The crossing guard Sgt. yells at his employees and is a horrible person, there is a revolving door and they are always short handed.Most dep. are good
Pros
Cons
Sucks, very limited hours
Great Job
Telecommunicator I (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLNovember 23, 2015
This was a great experience, helping people, learning, using tools that are needed and resources to help people. A great life lesson and good people to work with overall.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
The dangers and stigmas swing shift.
Professional Environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLJune 7, 2015
Dependable team members stive to be the best they can and give back to the community. The office has a very professional environment.
A professional and innovative organization
Forensic Science Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLJune 16, 2014
As the supervisor of the Forensic Science Unit opportunities were presented to apply new technologies and work with other sections of the organization to identify best practices and evaluate performance on a regular basis. Expectations were high as they should be in an acredited agency, however employees were supported in the assignments they were given. The hours could be long at times, but the Forensic Unit worked together to complete tasks in a coordinated effort with a very high degree of accuracy.
Pros
Excellent coworkers
Cons
Constant exposure to the harsh reality of what human beings could do to one another
The job and working with the Deputy's was great.
ARMS Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FL 34601May 13, 2014
I enjoyed taking the phone dictation from the Deputy's for their reports.

The hardest part of this job was flipping from days to nights every 8 weeks.
Benefits
Cons
The flipping from days to nights every 8 weeks.
Communications Officer/911 Dispatcher
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLMarch 21, 2013
A good place to work, but too much drama in the Communication Center. New people were treated poorly until they got to know you. I loved the work and most of the people I worked with. After not working there for 12 years, I am still friends with a lot of the deputies and communications officers.
I worked full-time and attended the law enforcement academy. I received numerous commendations and meritorious service awards on my job performance. I also received a quarterly plague of Certificate of Appreciation. I resigned once Sheriff Mylander retired and receieved a Letter of Recommendation from him personally.
Pros
12 hr shifts. overtime available, very good people to work with
Cons
a little drama in communications center.