Hexion Inc. Employee Reviews

great work environment
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILNovember 5, 2018
A relaxed work environment built on a lot of trust. As long the job was completed in a respectable manner, I was able to work at my own pace and get things done my way.
Very nice place to work
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAJuly 23, 2018
Learned a lot and became a professional chemical operator. Got to meet some good people and make a good wage. Staff was very helpful. Co-workers were a great help when needed or asked to help.
Pros
People, and pay
Cons
excessive O.T. at time
Collaborative environment, self directed task management
Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORJuly 19, 2018
Great people and every day is different, not really repetitive work (R&D building). Company has had some layoffs due to accumulated debt. Otherwise, good place to work.
Pros
Freedom to self manage, occasional free meals and snacks.
Cons
Medical benefits are terrible.
Ok place to work
worker (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 5, 2018
I wouldn't refer anyone to work there, it is a cutthroat environment. The morale is terrible, it used to be a great place to work but it has gone downhill
good job
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAJune 28, 2018
good place to work, opportunities for advancement. fellow operators were always helpful. good amount of overtime and seniority is a definitive plus. just wish plant hadn't shutdown.
Flexible schedule, smart people, casual atmosphere
Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMay 30, 2018
Good place to work. Flexible management, close knit group. Speaking specifically about the R&D building. Summer company BBQ, decent 401k matching, employees hang out after hours often.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule and tasks
Cons
Tight budget, few perks.
Lots of potential.
Global Supply Chain Process Leader (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 28, 2018
Solid businesses with a bright future. Being owned investment firm with while heavily leveraged has its downside. Company culture is great. Management cares about the associates.
Great coworkers, increasing corporate pressure.
Chemist Intern (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMay 17, 2018
My coworkers are great! Everyone in the building is skilled and hardworking.

Corporate however is of course focused more on its profits than its people.
Pros
great coworkers, understanding management, varied work
Cons
corporate pressure
Plan for the future
Customer Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 29, 2018
Hexion has become more about the numbers than the customer! There was so much unnecessary work added to the customer service department to where we could not focus on the customers need 100%. Meetings to put on a show on how CS will be given more authority to make decisions yet management did not and would not let CS do their job! The job has become a joke! Constant fear of losing your job because you are not perfect (being human is not a good fit) management is constantly to busy pointing out errors than what you accomplish and that was the only time you would see your managers
Pros
Pay
Cons
Live in constant fear of being let go, have to pay for parking but did not receive any compensation
Great place for community
Process Improvement Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 27, 2018
For a large company, they are very open and communicative across all job titles. There biggest downfall is not having very open communication across the various business units. But the people are very willing to help advance your career.
Global opportunity, must be willing to wear a lot of hats
Global Marketing Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 13, 2018
Private equity owned company with minimal staff. Be prepared to work hard with minimal support. Company is going through a lot of changes and downsizing.
Great company with great people
Materials Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAApril 12, 2018
Hexion is full of greta people who will take care of you! Benefits and pay are amazing as well. They are strict on safety and love hearing from the lower level guys.
Its a job
Company Person (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXApril 9, 2018
The pay is ok. Could be a lot better. Benefits suck. It's only 5 operators in the whole plant. Single man operation. Which means you do everything. Board operator, lab work, loading and unloading, outside work, etc. Nights, your the only person there. Its a job until you find something better.
Pros
Cons
Read my review....
Cool place to work
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LAMarch 14, 2018
Not a bad plant to work. Pretty safe and laid back. I would have liked to stay but I wanted to change careers because I got an engineering degree but they wouldn't let me change/move around to change.
Wonderful place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 28, 2018
Great place to work, family oriented, very laid back, but very safety conscious. Good opportunities for advancement. Great management and training opportunities.
Pros
great environment
Cons
had to lay off
Okay place to work, good pay
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 24, 2018
Typical day at work is shift change, then work on your batches. You learn a lot about processes here, it's very interesting work. It's outside in the heat, working with hazardous materials and substances, high pressure and heat. It's definitely worth working there for the high pay and if you are able to work fast and safely and follow direction well.
Management is distant from the operations crew. They see and care about their numbers. It's very easy to get reprimanded for even a minor mistake such as a paperwork error or stating opinion. It's definitely a product and customer focused environment.
Workplace culture, the operators are stressed and on edge about management lot of joking about being fired over mistakes, and are constantly upset about the amount of overtime they have to put in. The amiability of your coworkers will vary greatly from person to person and how well they cope with stress.
The job isn't difficult. It's not very demanding if you are in good physical condition and you are okay with working in the heat in fire resistant long pants and sleeves lifting 50-100 pounds.
The most enjoyable part of the job is probably learning new things all the time.
Pros
good pay, lots to learn
Cons
Long work days, swing shift, outside, the people
Productive Place to work
Global Quality Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 8, 2018
Learned a tremendous amount about directing a global organization. Had the ability to hire and develop a very effective global team and to organize and direct a global matrix organization.
Pros
Global Organization
Cons
Consolidation
Good job
Bulk shipping (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 8, 2018
Great people to work with and very good pay good teamwork and opportunities to advance I will miss HEXION I still hope they call me back and need me...
Pros
Great pay decent benefits lots of training
Cons
Don't make mistakes or you won't last to long
This company no longer exists.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 3, 2018
This company no longer exists. When it was open I was assigned a chemist with whom I worked with in the development of UV curable inks. Everyday there was something new to work on. I felt like I was truly a part of something exciting.
Pros
Cons
This company no longer exists.
My job was to provide analytical work to some of the companies who purchased the glues (wood-products industry) that we created in large volumes.
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 28, 2018
It was a good place to work; in addition to completing my lab duties I was responsible for maintaining seven first aid kits for the R&D lab. The major part of my work was for the tech service dept. in the lab. If time allowed, my services were available to any of the other 7 depts. in the R&D lab.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hexion Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight