HGST Employee Reviews

Management Isn't Leadership
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Central USMarch 9, 2018
HGST was acquired by Western Digital about five years previous and just rolled up on the WD umbrella. The management at WD were experienced, industry savvy and people who recognized the value of the "employee" to the bottom line. Executives in HGST had run the company into the ground and were bleeding out when WD purchased them. Unfortunately, the management of the "new" WD are all from HGST and are NOT leaders. The new management are selfish and look for how they can be successful and actually work very hard to "not pay" their people for the work they do. They are also hiring a lot of young inexperienced workers for low wage, rather than having a strong experienced workforce. Experience is key in technology to prevent issues and solve issues when problems do arise. Yes, new blood is important to the long life of any company, but an experience workforce and a management philosophy of empowerment strengthens a company thru challenging times and keeps the company out of the ditch. Certainly there are smart managers at the company, but there are few leaders in management. The cultural difference between the old WD and new WD is that what was a "family" feeling where employees worked and shared in the wins/losses of the company has now become less empowered, threatening, controlling, micromanaged, big brother over your shoulder, what have you done for me management work environment...far from the old WD. From an ethics point of view, I'd be very cautious where I worked and for whom I worked if thinking about joining the new WD. Certainly there are some fine people and  more... managers within the new WD, but if you have other options, maybe look elsewhere!  less
Pros
Products, new corporate HQ, benefits
Cons
Pay, executive management, integrity of management, incentives, personal-work life balance, infrastructure, Big Brother watching every employee, cafeteria, arrogant toward customers
poor management
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 1, 2017
1. poor management in every aspect
2. company just wants to maximally exploit employees
3. no open communication
4. complaint is like yelling to a wall: nobody cares
Great environment and professional group to work with!
Principal Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 31, 2017
Great place, with abundance of helpful knowledgeable workforce eager to help anyone in their professional growth. I recommend the company to anyone who is in the Computer Engineering field.
A lot of tension because everyone was worried that they woul move engineering to Japan.
Contract Engineer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 5, 2017
Very difficult project that was behind schedule when I got there and there were too many unknowns that they were learning as they went along. Manager was ignorant of what the project took so kept making unrealistic goals that couldn't be met. The work was challenging
Pros
Free Friday lunches
Cons
Uncertainty about future work continuing
Productive, good benefits and fun place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 27, 2016
Productive, good benefits and fun place to work with i enjoy working with my employees, they are very helpful in teaching me with our daily work
Excellent
Software and Firmware Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNDecember 25, 2016
Smart people, disciplined and focused teams.
Focused management enabling creation of cutting edge, top of the line products.
Pros
Great people and great projects to work on.
Cons
Minnesota weather.
great work environment and great people
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 28, 2016
a day at work was rarely stressful and there was always someone there to help you out! It felt like a team :)

I learned a lot while I was working there which thanks to my manager who was willing to teach me a lot of the tricks I now know (in Excel, emails, etc.)
Productive and good working environment
Senior Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 12, 2016
* Testing and debugging issues
* Gaining product knowledge
* Excellent Management
* Excellent communication w/ co-workers
* Very long Hrs
* Technology
Clash of Company Cultures for Now -- WD, IBM, Hitachi, Sandisk
Global Senior Manager, Self Servo Write (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 21, 2016
There still is clash of culture, corporate politics due to multiple mergers in the past.
Due to declining revenue of core HDD business, there will be constant pressure to reduce workforce in foreseeable future.
There is no guarantee in job security and it will no fun during the next few years.

This is all dependent on how fast the company will transition to solid state drives (SSD) from HDD -- how to invigorate Sandisk business and how well compete with Samsung SSD business.
Pros
Top management decision to prepare for the future
Cons
Declining HDD business -- regular layoff next few years
HGST a Western Digital manager are poor.
Sr Metrology Equipment Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 17, 2016
HGST a Western Digital company managerment team so poor.
Managementem do not care the employee. They want chinese engineer only.
Pros
N/a
Cons
n?A
HR Support Rep (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2016
Overall good experience and great people to work with. Growing and changing company. Commute was good for me since I live near by. A lot of change is happening within the company so there is no job security there.
SAP ABAP/Fiori/Success factors CONSULTANT With strong Functional experience
Lead SAP ABAP/Fiori Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 22, 2016
I am having very good experience in SAP ABAP,Fiori,UI5,Successfactors,CRM,BAPI,BADI,User exit,ALV,OOps ABAP,RFC,ALE/IDOC,Workflow,Webdynpro,SD,MM,FICO,PM,CRM,CRM,SCM
Fun place and a lot of learning
SoC Integration Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 8, 2016
Felt very comfortable doing my internship and I learned a lot of useful and important stuff. My assignments helped me a lot during full time interviews.
Great work life balance and decent benefits
Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 24, 2016
Its a good place to work with decent benefits and competitive pay. Management is very ambitious and progressive. Co-workers largely helpful with some exceptions. Job security is a constant concern at this job due to consolidation among competitors and overall industry challenges.
Pros
Free lunches once every week
Cons
Job security, StorageIndustry challenges
nice workplace and learned a lot of things related to data analysis
Big data analyst (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 22, 2016
I learned how to analyze data in a real industry instead of only cases in books. Besides, I learned how important the communication and discussion with team members is.
Fine place to work, Interesting projects & effective cross functional teams. Team building culture is high on CEO's priority.
Sr. Mech Design Eng'r, ME (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 20, 2016
Excellent place to work. Work & home balance wise and interesting projects. Management is effective, strong and concise in implementation. Multi cultural representation in all groups.
Pros
Corporate culture, equipment, interesting work, calibre of people.
Cons
No stock options offered to Eng level.
Not bad and not good
senior hardware development engineer (Current Employee) –  san jose, caMay 18, 2016
Benefit is as other company.
Unlimited vocation.
Good working environment.
Have internal Gym
Poor documentation
You will pretty much do the same thing everyday.
Pros
unlimited vocation
Cons
not much growth opportunity
on site gym
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 15, 2016
Ok company.
managerment and coworker, case by case.
Most are good, some are....
Industry is going down slope. More lay off coming up.
It's a nice company to work with.
Front End Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 12, 2016
HGST is a storage company with a long history that Initially was belong to IBM. People are really nice and good work-life balance
A Job not a Career
Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 11, 2016
HGST Management spends ZERO time on "People" management. There is no time spent on employee enrichment, development or career building activities. Management only worried about the fires of the day and micromanaging employees.
Pros
Interesting Technologies
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Benefits, Average Salaries