HHS Employee Reviews

no just no
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXNovember 4, 2018
I specifically told management on the paperwork they gave me that I have BACK PROBLEMS and other health issues to the point where I can only do a minimum! I left on the first day. They have not done anything about that it’s like they just completely ignored my issue. And overall, it’s too strict. I took my nose ring out and I took off my nails! My nose ring was still healing and it swelled up my nose and I had to cover up my tattoo. Why does it matter how we look as long as we do our job?! I decided to work at this place because it seemed like a great opportunity for me, but I was wrong. I will definitely not do this again.
Pros
20% off lunch, beautiful hospital
Cons
Bad management...
November 6, 2018

Every new team member who is hired with HHS is required to complete an essential functions test, or EFT, which gives the team member the opportunity to perform all of the movements that are required as a part of their job, such as lifting heavy boxes, touching toes, and more. As these movements are essential to the job duties, this is a time for the manager to ensure that the team member is able to perform the movements, and for the team member to ensure they are comfortable performing these movements as a part of their everyday tasks. Our dress code is clearly outlined and provided to team members upon hire. Working in a healthcare environment, it is important to be mindful of your surroundings and adhere to the same dress requirements that are set forth by our hospital partners.
I’m sorry things didn’t work out with HHS, but I wish you all the best in your future career.
Bobby Floyd, CEO, Healthcare

Love the facility that I have been contracted
Director, Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNOctober 30, 2018
I enjoy the training that I have received and the guidelines and resources that I have received since I have worked for HHS. I feel that the cleaning of our hospital has upgraded.
Pros
Good benefits
November 2, 2018

I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience working with HHS and that you’ve found value in the training and support that you’ve received. Thank you for all of your continued hard work and dedication.

CDM, Food Service Director, Senior Living
CNS Director, CDM, Senior Living (Current Employee) –  Brazil, INOctober 29, 2018
Although I’ve only been with HHS 6 months, I find this company very decent to work for! Compensation for a job well done is great! There is also great support from my Seniors!
Pros
Pay, Pto, excellent insurance benefits (Director), Very family oriented culture
Cons
Slight apprehension if a contract is ending about a new location maybe requiring a transfer
November 2, 2018

I’m glad to hear that you are happy with your career with HHS, and that you’re satisfied with your compensation, benefits, and the culture that you’ve found within the company. We work very hard to make sure all of our team members feel great about our company and culture .I understand your apprehension about the possibility of needing to transfer locations as this is oftentimes a reality in our industry. Since we are a company that is spread out across the country, it sometimes means needing to relocate in order to advance within the company. The key is working hard to care and serve our residents to the best of our ability and we keep our contracts for a very long time .If you have questions or concerns I would be happy to speak with you about it. Please feel free to contact me directly at ksvagdis@hhs1.com.
Kevin Svagdis, CEO, Senior Living Division

It was ok
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee FloridaOctober 27, 2018
I enjoyed working there up until the Time I was injured ,after that it went down hill,my complaint about the company is they still expect you to come work with you in pain or just come in even when medicated,I just couldn't put my life on that track I was afraid I was going to hurt myself worse this company has no compassion for anyone who gets hurts and just show the workers that they care about them I hope this was enough
Pros
No freebie
Cons
Staff unfair
November 2, 2018

Team member safety is our number one concern at HHS. Our safety faculty researches the latest best practices and ensures that all HHS teams are committed to jobsite safety. While we do everything we can to ensure our team members stay safe, injuries still do occur from time to time. When that happens, we adhere to doctor recommendations for when a team member comes back to work. Oftentimes, a physician may approve a team member for “light duty,” which may involve completing administrative tasks or other work that is scaled back from the team member’s typical job duties. When a team member is having difficulties at work after an injury, it is important to report it your manager, and to a doctor so that they can make a proper medical evaluation to share with HHS.
I’m sorry that things didn’t work out with HHS, and I wish you all the best in your future career.

Poor management and VP clueless
Dietitian (Former Employee) –  TXOctober 17, 2018
I have worked with quite a few contract foodservice companies and never have I seen such a poorly executed opening plan and operation. No one was asking the important questions or putting a plan into action. Once the management team was at the hospital, it was clear to see this was in fact their first rodeo and although the may have been a good hourly employee, they were far from the management material they had been promoted in to. There was no engagement or empowerment for the employees. When inquiring and making suggestions about how to make a broken process better, no one wanted to try and fix anything. I guess they were too focused on leaving for the day and just in survival mode. I know other employees from this company (at other hospital accounts) who feel exactly as I do about the lack of strong management and their poor promotion decisions. I almost believe it’s a tactic to keep salaries as low as possible (hire within no matter what, even if it means sacrificing a good outside candidate with more experience because it will cost more $).
Pros
Health benefits and 401k reasonable
Cons
See above
November 2, 2018

I’m sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with HHS. Our company has been in business for more than 40 years, and our leadership team has decades of combined experience and has successfully started up hundreds of accounts across the country. Of course with any opening there can be some unexpected hiccups, but that is why we bring in a strong leadership support network to assist on-site team through the startup process. We have implemented new team member selection, on boarding and training processes to help prepare our leaders to succeed. These processes are new and are already starting to work. We are also implementing new proactive account opening systems. We just opened a new account this week with the new processes and it's going very well. We are currently working on updating all of our operating procedures and standards. We will be training all of our team members on these new standards which will help us execute consistently.
Kevin Svagdis, CEO, Senior Living Division

Orderly (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLOctober 11, 2018
I liked working with the team. But I really liked interacting with the patients. It was very fast paced due to you had to clean out rooms for discharge in a quick and timely manner so the next patient could get a clean and sanitized room, I also liked working with the employees of the hospital as well.
Pros
working with the patients, the fast pace made the day fly by.
Cons
working every holiday. Hospitals never close.
October 12, 2018

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with HHS and that you liked working with your team and other hospital employees as well as interacting with patients. It's true that hospitals are fast-paced work environments, and that's something that anyone should be aware of before coming to work with HHS. As you mentioned, part of working in this industry sometimes means having to work on holidays. HHS has six recognized holidays throughout the year, and our expectation is that most team members will work about half of the holidays and take half of them off. All team members receive double time pay for holidays worked.
Thank you for sharing your feedback, and I wish you all the best in your future career.

It sucks
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 9, 2018
They will take a patient to side or something you didn't do and they will fire you you also don't get paid vacation you don't get any benefits with this job they cut your hours I would not recommend this job for anybody that is looking for a good job
October 17, 2018

Without knowing the details of your particular situation I am unable to provide much insight regarding the patient complaint you may have received. However, if you felt you were being treated unfair, you have the opportunity to escalate the issue to your Regional Vice President or the HHS OneTeam Helpline by calling 800-229-2028. Regarding PTO and benefits, we provide both to our full-time employees. We do not cut hours from team members, as you mentioned, however there may be times where we ask team members if they would like to voluntarily go home early when the facility is running a low census.
I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you at HHS but I wish you all the best in the future.

The management is horrible
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLOctober 8, 2018
I had picture prof that I was getting everything done in my area, but the day time manager was still saying I didn’t get anything done. I had even asked multiple times to hear the voicemails from the nurses that were complaining and they couldnt find one voicemail. I wouldn’t even recommend this company to someone how needs a job badly.
November 2, 2018

I’m sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with HHS. Hospitals are dynamic environments, and there are times when managers may ask team members to take care of duties that are not listed on their job description to support the patient population, and it sounds like that may have been the case here. If you would like to provide more information about this situation so that we can look further into it, I ask that you call the OneTeam Helpline at 800-288-2028. I appreciate your hard work, and I’m sorry that it didn’t work out with HHS.

Worst job ever
Houskeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Quitman txOctober 4, 2018
I accepted the job with the understanding that I would receive training and a raise after 90 days both of witch never happened. I had no support from my management team. I put I countless hours of work covering shifts only to be reprimanded for doing so. It seemed like they were more worried about overtime than making sure the shifts were covered. I was told by the customer that I was an asset to the hospital but not so much to the company.
Pros
Hospital staff
Cons
To many to list
October 12, 2018

The facility in which you worked is part of a larger system of locations, and our model is to rely on the on-site supervisor to manage the day-to-day operation, with the regional manager supporting/training/developing on a weekly basis. It sounds like that frequency was not often enough to develop the necessary skills to make you successful, which is unfortunate. Regarding overtime management, the supervisor should first look to staff open positions with available staff, and as a last resort they can fill the role and incur OT. As an organization, we do have to hold our leaders accountable to managing within their budget.
I appreciate your feedback, and I am sorry you did not have a successful career with HHS. Best of luck.
Regards,
Bobby Floyd

An ok job,but its a dead end job that dosent secure your future.
Tristar skyline hospital (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 30, 2018
HHS is an ok job,but to me its only meant as a starter job.As a 25year old male im looking to find a job that could secure my future with 401k.im looking for a job with a staff that is motivational,and is equipped with managers who notice you and your efforts to put in good work.
Pros
Kind nurses.
Cons
Bad management.
October 4, 2018

Moving up in the company does require a lot of motivation, dedication, and overall hard work - but the majority of our promotions come from within. If you are interested in growing your career with HHS, please speak with your manager to learn what may be needed for you to advance your career, or your regional vice president (their name and number is posted on the electronic message board in the break room at your hospital). We are always looking for motivated individuals such as yourself, so I hope that you will look further into this.
Thanks and best of luck!
Bobby Floyd, COO

Very motivated on moving forward
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Tyler, texatexSeptember 28, 2018
I recently been employed by hhs at it northeast hospital for 3 years transferred to East Texas medical center hospital name has changed to uthealthealtheasttexas hospital a year. Recently working under hhs as va housekeeper. I have experienced in coordinating managing a team. I'm still waiting on opportunity for coordinator to come available so I can move up instead of backwards.
October 4, 2018

Thank you for your years of dedication to HHS and the UT Health System. It’s great to hear you have a goal to move up in the organization. We have some programs available to help you develop the necessary skills to take the next steps. If you haven’t already, please speak with your director, and potentially the regional vice president about your aspirations, and hopefully we can work together to make it happen!

Not recomended
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Turkey Creek, TNSeptember 15, 2018
Not enough workers on my shift so the few workers had to pick up slack. In 20 min i was asked to do 4 things, not human possible,not worth it . They don't care about workers.
Pros
Cons
to many
September 26, 2018

I’m sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with HHS. Being short staffed on a shift is not an ideal situation and I understand how that would create a frustrating work environment for you. As a company, I can assure you that we do care about our workers, and we are constantly working to give better tools and support to our leaders so they can be more successful in recruiting, onboarding, and training new team members to fill open positions and be available to support when we have call-outs.
Best of luck to you in your future.

Teamwork
EXECUTIVE CHEF (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GASeptember 12, 2018
It is a great work environment for chefs to get a better quality of life and to break away and further career outside of the kitchen envirnment.
The culture at HHS is an open door policy. From the CEO to the dishwasher technician, everyone is willing to help each other out. Can reach out to anyone with a problem or a task that you might not get.
There is constant relocating, in order to move on up the corporate ladder, which after a while can become tiresome.
October 1, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your time with HHS. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the quality of life that you found working with the company and that you found a work culture where everyone was able to help out wherever needed. We take a very hands-on approach to the company, and as you mentioned everyone is expected to help out where they are needed, however they can. It is true that oftentimes to move up within the company it is necessary to relocate. As a company that is spread across the United States, it may mean that the new position is located in another city or state. But if you are able to relocate, it can be very rewarding and lead to bigger and better opportunities. If someone is not willing nor does not want to relocate, many times we are able to work with that person to be able to have a successful career at the local facility.
Thank you for all of your hard work, and I wish you all the best in your future career.
Joe Terry, CEO

Company is full of empty promises...
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 11, 2018
H.H.S. was a company that lead me to believe I would move up into a higher position for a few months but never followed through with their word. Other employees were unreliable and caused problems among all employees. The hospital staff was fantastic in Salt Lake but the company itself was full of empty promises.
September 13, 2018

I’m sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your experience with HHS. We do provide ample opportunities for our strongest team members to advance within the company, and have promoted over 20 individuals from hourly positions into salaried positions in the past 12 months. Sometimes this can take some time, so it does require some patience as well as continued hard work and dedication. Many of our leaders began their careers with HHS in hourly positions, and we are proud of this history. I’m sorry to hear that you left the company before you had the opportunity to advance. I wish you all the best in your future career.

Successful Managers must be committed
Director (Current Employee) –  Central FloridaSeptember 5, 2018
Overall good company. Friendly relations with other leaders inside the hospital and other facilities. If you are Managing well and your customer likes you, upper management will let you run your operation. There are policies and guideline to follow but you are able to hire your own staff to fit your style if you are there long term. Creating a team that takes pride in their work is enjoyable. Managing and motivating low wage employees can have its challenges but also great rewards when you are able to promote the diamonds that are out there. Making a pleasant environment for Patients and seeing them thankful and smiling, is also a great reward for anyone who enjoys customer/patient interaction. Health Benefits could be better for such a growing company.
Pros
Autonomy, Good salary and bonus plan, hire your own staff.
Cons
Hours, Always on call 24/7, Benefits are not good for Management
September 25, 2018

I’m glad to hear that you’ve enjoyed your experience with HHS thus far. As you mentioned, we give a lot of autonomy to our managers which is an important part of our operating philosophy. We strongly believe the leaders running their accounts know who best to hire and should manage all aspects of their business. HHS provides all of the tools and trainings, but it is ultimately on the shoulders of each director at each account with the help of their regional team to put those ideas into place to build a successful department. I can tell that you take great pride in what you do and I’m sure your team does as well.
Our benefits package is industry competitive, but is always something we address and make changes to as we can. Please know this is a high priority issue for us. We have recently made some improvements to our benefits plans, including increasing the number of PTO days and decreasing the monthly premium for health insurance, both of which were some nice improvements. Thank you again for providing your feedback and all very much appreciated, Joe Terry, CEO

Director of Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaSeptember 5, 2018
HHS is a great company to work for. The training provided is better than other contracting companies provide. It's not a field for anyone who's lazy and doesn't want to get your hands dirty. If you're wanting a desk job this is not for you. Hospitals run 24/365 and you're expected to be available when situations come up.
September 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you are satisfied with our training program. We have invested a lot of time and resources into building a comprehensive training program, and I am proud to say that it is the best in the industry. I also agreement with your assessment that this an industry for people who are interested in working hard. As you said, working in healthcare is a fast-paced environment that does not sleep, so it’s important that our managers be up for this sort of challenge.
Thank you for your continued support and dedication.
Bobby Floyd, COO

Worst company to work for!
RVS Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carthage, TrxasAugust 30, 2018
Upper Management is useless and clueless. Supervisor is a fall guy for anything and everything wrong. You are not given the tools or authority to run the business correctly and pressed for results. Training consists of videos that do not tell you everything you need to know. There is no support and nothing but stress. They also illegally “adjust” your time card to avoid overtime. And after all that they fire you if the client complains.
Pros
Cons
Hours, no training, stress, no tools to do the job, idiot Directors with no education or training
September 6, 2018

I’m sorry to hear that you were not happy with your experience with HHS. Your accusation that your manager adjusted your timecard to avoid overtime is serious. As you said, that is an illegal practice and is not something that HHS condones or accepts at our job sites. I’d like to ask that you please utilize the Open Door Policy and contact the OneTeam Helpline at 800-229-2028 to provide more details on your account and this situation so that we can look further into it.
All of our managers undergo an intensive two week training at the beginning of their time with HHS. This period helps to prepare them for the rigors of the job so that they can better understand the expectations that HHS has for our managers and for our team members. Upon graduating that program, they receive monthly training in all aspects of HHS policies, procedures, and management practices. Our training program for team members includes a series of training videos, which were completely revised and updated last year, as well as on-the-job training. These HHS training programs are routinely recognized as industry leading. If you ever find yourself back on the HHS team, please share this type of feedback in real-time so we can provide you a better experience.
Bobby Floyd, COO

Enjoyed helping people fell better.
Supervisor ( Director ) (Current Employee) –  Seminole, OKAugust 27, 2018
I would work on making sure my employees were ready for the day. Ensure a safe workplace. Focus a lot of time on customer care and improving customers life.
September 6, 2018

Thank you for all of your hard work with HHS. I appreciate your dedication to safety, caring for your team, and supporting our customer.

Best As A Short Stop Between Trains
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 27, 2018
HHS is the bottom-feeding product of hospitals that are hemorraghing financially and are desperate to cut costs without regard to the long-term effects on their customers or the in-house staff they jettison to HHS. Hospitals can't get away with contracting out their nursing staff without serious consequences so tend to do so with "non-professional" departments such as EVS and Food Services. HHS can offer instant cost savings to hospitals because the hospitals no longer have to provide typical healthcare coverage to the staff they jettison. This can be serious money for a large hospital. Of course, HHS doesn't provide anything close to adequate healthcare coverage and certainly not at a cost a typical front-line worker can afford. HHS will also come in, survey the facility and cut staffing based on worthless productivity data that renders all housekeepers to be robots that never break down, don't tire or have their work interrupted over an 8-hour shift nor go to the bathroom. That's assuming all the robots show up for work and that there are no position vacancies. Of course, that's never the case and the daily operations are then typically chaos on steroids. HHS uses the term Assistant Director in their hiring ads but one must understand this position is pretty much the same thing as a Supervisor. You will have direct reports and other assorted responsibilities including cleaning toilets, stocking supplies, hauling waste and soiled linen, and the multitude of other oppressive managerial duties corporate buries AD's with. These duties can easily translate into 10 - 12 hour days.  more... As an added bonus, corporate has AD's and Directors complete monthly, on-line busy work in the way of articles and associated quizzes that you'll end up having to do on your own time if you're in a busy hospital or chaotic situation. This can easily translate into another two to three hours of your life on top of your 50+ hour work week.Hospitals are also duped by contractors such as HHS to believe they have the magic bullet to greatly improve poor HCHAPs scores. This is, in most cases, poppycock as the three hospitals I worked in never moved the needle. Scripting staff, turn-down services, etc., are generally worthless when trying to improve scores. Of course, no one trying to sell these services to a hospital will admit to this but this is the bottom-line truth. Various HCHAPs consultant companies have made fortunes from the utopian vision of positive patient responses they profess to know the secrets to. They then tell you if your scores don't move that you're not doing it right, need to replace department management, hire a contractor, etc. In other words, they don't really have the answers but they've been successful milking hospitals for millions which could have been used to keep their departments in-house. If your hospital is 30, 40 or 50+ years old, you are going to be in the bottom half or quartile of all hospitals in the database no matter what tap dances you try to perform. HHS doesn't have an honest solution to poor scores either but will hold managers responsible and mandate additional busy work (i.e. patient interviews) to ensure that you know they think it's your fault and the poor scores can only be due to your incompetence. My message to hospitals is that by renovating small, cluttered patient rooms with small bathrooms and small windows looking out onto rooftops with air conditioner condensing units, pipes and other rmechanical equipment will never get you there, either. Building a new hospital or gutting your existing facility to the exterior walls is the real answer. Scripting and patient interviews will get you what you're paying for (i.e. no improvement). I haven't worked for HHS for several years now but I can see from other recent reviews that nothing has changed. For most people, HHS will be a short stop between trains due to low pay and working conditions for front-line staff and poor work/life balance, chaos due to staff turnover and desperation, leadership hiring into peer and superior positions for management-level openings. HHS, from my experience, has a knack for hiring unconscious incompetents into AD and above level positions. These tend to be people that perceive themselves to be bosses instead of leaders. This leads to the misery expressed in many of the front-line staff reviews. The boss types are usually twenty-somethings from tough neighborhoods hired into AD positions who are anxious to let everyone know they're in charge and know everything there is to know. They are clueless and a cancer. The good people leave and the cancer survives. This is the story of HHS.  less
Pros
Finding another job
Cons
Not being able to find another job
September 13, 2018

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your experience with HHS. You listed quite a few concerns, so I would like to respond to each of them to let you know what we’re doing and how we support our managers, our teams, and our partners.

One of the biggest reasons that our partners choose to work with HHS as a contracting company is because of the expertise we are able to provide. Our hospital partners are experts in clinical care, but they oftentimes do not have the background or support network needed to run a successful EVS or foodservice department. With our national support network, executive teams with decades of experience, and extensive training programs, HHS is well equipped to run a top-notch support service program. Our training program is the best in the industry, and the monthly training packs you mentioned are filled with relevant information that helps our managers to do their jobs better. We are cognizant of the added time these training packs add, which is why we aim to limit them to just 1-2 hours of work per month.
As far as our staffing model, we have compared HHS staffing levels to both in-house programs and our competitors, and in most cases the HHS model/recommendation for staffing is greater than the others.

As you mentioned, we do require hands-on work from all of or managers. This is not a job for someone who wants to sit behind a desk all day. You will get your hands dirty in this position, and we fully expect managers to pick up a mop and clean the floors when needed. Most of our executive team and our ownership group has spent time working  more... as a director or even as an hourly team member, so we have all experienced the type of work you are describing. Having this experience helps each of us to better support our teams and understand the rigors of the job.

I’m sorry to hear that you did not see improvements in HCAHPS at your account while you were with HHS, but your statement about us not impacting scores is not accurate. We have many facilities which have improved cleanliness scores and we are frequently asked to provide this information to our hospital partners. This is one of the reasons that our partners choose to work with HHS and contributes to our 97% account retention rate. Hiring caring team members who greet patients with a kind and attentive attitude absolutely can affect a patient’s perception of cleanliness and service. For our partners who have older buildings, we can still make a big difference by ensuring that room and restroom are clean, and patients receive great customer service from the EVS team. We have many older facilities that score in the 75th percentile or above in cleanliness scores.

We have a diverse team of leaders throughout HHS, with individuals from all types of backgrounds. We do our best to train them in the technical side and help them grow. I am proud of the team that we have built, and continue to build, here at HHS. We are fortunate to have so many long-term, caring employees and leaders who have helped to push this company forward. I’m sorry that HHS was not the right fit for you, but I wish you all the best in your future career.

Best, Bobby Floyd, COO

Great People
Transporter and Discharges cleaning (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 17, 2018
Everyday was amazing and new challenges come up but the people I worked with were amazing and treated each other like a family. I meet a lot of people.
September 26, 2018

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your time working with HHS and that you formed good relationships with your coworkers. As HHS is a family run company, I am glad to know that you were able to find your own family connections within your team. Thank you for all of your hard work, and I wish you all the best in the future.
Bobby Floyd, COO

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HHS. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss