Hiawatha Academies Employee Reviews

toxic work environment Ineffective leadership, blatant favoritism, very low pay
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 25, 2019
There are several reasons and it is very hard to narrow it down to just a few things. Primary reasons I left was the very poor and downright clueless leadership team, the lousy pay and long hours and the very rigid almost cult like thinking.

One day we received and e-mail stating that we should never question or undermine the leadership team. And although we were never explicitly told to right positive reviews on a different site we ere incentivevised to "balance out" the negative review that were written about the school. Many of the people in charge have no business being in their positions with many people having little or no experience or a degree or any background in their position.

I often found myslef working alone in the office overwhelmed and frustrated that my counterpart was never on time and spent more time socializing than working. when i complained to the principal she acknowledged that her personal relationship with that person made it hard for her to do anything about it. Not only was this person not fired but was ultimately promoted .

Hiawatha likes to talk about it's mission to eliminate racism and biased however all of the leadership staff are wealthy upper middle class white people who do not understand the challenges and the culture of the students that they work with. The school loves to disparage Minneapolis public schools for being ineffective but Hiawatha academies performs far worse than MPS and the rest of the state by any objective measure.

The school is only concerned with compliance and with test scores. You are also expected
  more... to be on call 24/7 and will work well over the amount of hours you are told.  less
Pros
Cons
low pay, awful leadership
No organization
Hiawatha College Prep / Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 2, 2018
I worked there for only a short period of time because I could not deal with how unorganized this company was. It was not a school but felt more like a business. There was no investment in the children. Also there was no away of holding the kids accountable for their behavior. They ere working on being restorative, but for got to give consequences.
Pros
the kidos
Cons
the whole organizational structure
A positive and high energy work place with the need for Spanish and English-speaking abilities
Spanish Translator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 31, 2014
A Spanish Translator will be on-call for each work session, which takes place on evenings when there are parent-teacher interactions. Through working here, I learned about what it means to utilize my knowledge of the Spanish and English languages to help people that would otherwise not be able to communicate. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility (if you cannot work one evening, there is no penalty) and the appreciation from the parents and teachers for translating each language. The most difficult part of this job is that I must be fully attentive at all times and no breaks are provided.

In the near future, there will be an increased demand for English-Spanish translators because the schools are expanding.
Pros
Welcoming environment and generous salary
Cons
Short or no breaks

Want to know more about Hiawatha Academies?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hiawatha Academies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5