hibu Employee Reviews

Toxic Culture
Marketing (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 7, 2019
Hibu used to be a nice place to work. It is now terrible. People are resigning in droves.

Current executive leadership is out of touch with employess and management. More and more work is piled on without compensation or work/life balance. Senior Management is misearable becuase they have no authority and are managed under a microscope. Management is given impossible direction with no resources.

Work is being sent over seas and then onshore empoyees have to cleanup the mess.

Stay away!
Poor Customer service and support
Digital Marketing Executive (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAOctober 26, 2018
This company is the former yellow pages in California. Since they would only have to visit the customer once per year they really didn't care about the customer until the following year came around. Now that the yellow pages are gone they have still carried the same concept over to digital marketing. The are very focused on selling the customer a new form of advertising but they do not do any sort of follow up with customer service. Customer is told to call customer service and frown upon the rep assisting then since it takes them away from making new sales.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
management no ability for advancement.
Customer comes first-not
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2019
The compensation plan only paid you to sell NEW business, so the company didn't pay you to renew a business agreement or incentivize you to keep a customer. Their comp plan created a behavior that was detrimental to their future success. The CEO once talked about "Customer for Life", then it never came up again.

Their marketing support was phenomenal! Their instructors were awesome too.
Pros
Great Marketing and Training
Cons
micro-managed sales force, only the top 5% made their objectives.
fun working enviroment
Digital Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 17, 2019
i absolutely loved working at hibu, my team became my second family. Team mates are typically willing to help others and you can work with management to modify schedule
Pros
gym
Cons
promotions based on who you know, drinking culture
Overall rating (3 out of 5)
Distribution Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 28, 2018
Able to work from home. Manage your own schedule. Compensation is average. Year-end profit sharing ranges from $900 - $2,000. Distribution sector for hibu is winding down as company shifts to digital advertising. Management has not reveled their plan for distribution markets through 2019.
Pros
Freedom to set your daily schedule
Cons
Lack of input from management on future for Distribution managers
Local Management very hands on and helpful. Team culture and many bonus incentives based on productivity.
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  VirtualOctober 17, 2018
Enjoyed many advancement opportunities and accolades during my 14+ years (primarily during the Yellowbook years before name change to Hibu). While the transition of the business from print to all digital services has had it's ups and downs, local management has remained fairly consistant and is the core strength of the salesforce.
Not an ideal modern work environment
Digital Service Consultant I (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 21, 2018
If you need a job, this is a perfectly acceptable job in the short term. Hibu doesn’t care enough about employees to offer any real incentives to stay. Unreasonable expectations on performance, terrible communication from management, old systems, outsourced everything (products, cs, IT) and a bad overall business model are among the problems you’ll eventually come to find here.

Honestly the only nice thing I can say is that the people who work here are really nice.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Old systems, not enough opportunities for advancement.
Unrealistic sales quotas
Account executive, 2 yrs (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 12, 2018
After working for a short time at hibu the sales quotas were increased so much 90% of the sales force weren't accomplishing even the minimums, at least if you were a relatively new rep. The senior sales reps had their quotas decreased in new quotas. How backwards is that? They had no idea how to compete in a business environment with literally thousands of competitors (digital advertising). They have been in a world of only having 5 or six competitors at any given time (phone books). Management was grasping at straws while the ship sinks and blame the sales reps for a dying product, phone books. I lost my job because of a lack of production in the product they felt we should sell this month, meanwhile I was in the top 3rd of the nation in sales of their bread and butter product, the one that could actually pull them out of the disaster that is there financial position. I have nothing good to say about this company, period!!
Pros
non
Cons
everything
Best part of the company is the people that work there..
Account Executive, Digital Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 26, 2018
Great culture great work-life balance. Has a lot of the same downfalls you typical experience with large corporations and the bureaucracy that goes with.
Was a great place to work years ago
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 21, 2018
After the company underwent a restructure, the culture became unbearable. Upper executive management stole from the company's assets in order to fund their pet projects. It was never the same.
Benefits
Cons
compensation
Not horrible
Associate Campaign Analyst (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJuly 31, 2018
Overall not a bad place but not a lot of promotion or room to grow. A lot of promises were given by upper management and never kept. Were better off not promising things getting better or promotions than not giving them after always bringing them up.
Continuously learning!
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Covina, CAJune 28, 2018
I learned to cold call effectively and close deal with the right tools as well as the efficient programs that are needed. The culture is team driven and continuously improving. The hardest part of the job was the competitiveness however I enjoyed helping customers benefits from the advertising we provide.
Great management and culture
Digital and marketing specialist (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCOctober 31, 2018
Great training with local trainers and management.
Excellent products and support. Great selection of products. Minimum interference from management.
Front line technology for advertising executives.
Pros
Local territory, great people and products.
Cons
Too many accounts given to the reps
Challenging
Account Executive - Business Development (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 18, 2018
Hibu was a hyper-competitive sales environment, with daily, weekly, and monthly targets.

I honed my knack for proper goal setting, as well as organization, whilst having a stage to interact with businesses to provide value to them through critical-thinking, strategic planning, and a competitive spirit to champion dynamic results.
No room for growth or advancement.
Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMay 17, 2018
friendly work environment for most teams but some, not so much.

No room for career advancement,and senior management not transparent with employees. It seemed that management worried more about how to make money quickly than the long term goal.
Pros
WFH opportunity
Evolving Let Down
Digital Service Consultant/Account Manager (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 6, 2018
Hibu started as my savior from an unpleasant collections job, I enjoyed my job and it's fast paced energy up until the beginning of this year when they announced we'd start doing collections on our accounts. Aside from being tech support, customer service, retention, and account manager we're now doing this job as well. The culture sucks, everyone is miserable, upper management is seeking out ways to "catch" you in the act of something they're not even sure of and there is no additional pay for doing all of the additional jobs listed above. You're the "go to" guy for the client, but you're also the fall guy for any and everything that can possibly go wrong with an account, without exception.
Pros
Na
Cons
Stress
Hibu was a great company
SEO Analyst (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMarch 27, 2018
Hibu was a great company to work for as they allowed room for advancement and provided a lot of training. The culture was positive and management was all very willing to help you get through your work.
I have no oppinion
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 9, 2018
I worked there for 3 months and i wasnt able to sell anything so they gave me a choice to either quit or be fired if i couldnt sell anything.. perfectly understandable
Complete disregard for employees as individuals
Digital Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 29, 2018
When I started as a DSC, I actually enjoyed the job. as the company changed the goals and the manager of my department started to take duties from other departments and put them on us, then triple our workload because they didn't want to start the appropriate corrective action for those not following the rules.. instead, there would be creative corrective action imposed on those that spoke up or tried to change things, which I believe was part of the reason for my termination. Several people in the department were working 10 -12 hour days just to finish their daily work, not to mention the additional work being piled on. These agents should be getting paid $20+ per hour, and are starting at $15. its absolutely ridiculous.
ok place to work
Digital Sales Consultant Partner (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 13, 2018
management varies, sales planning is horrible about giving us any information we get our comp plans changed at least 2 times a year on average. Took away yearly bonus 2 years ago.
Training is excellent
pushing orders is complicated always changing systems.
must be very flexible and adjust quickly to new procedures and systems.
Some flexibility on schedule is nice, not a super positive environment
stressful at times
Pros
no weekends, adjustable schedule to some degree, good benefits
Cons
constant change in commissions, changes in structure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at hibu. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight