HIGH SIERRA POOLS Employee Reviews

Good people, but too many workers
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 18, 2018
There was always a surge of international workers that cut into the hours that were given to the local guards, making it difficult to make good money.
Pros
Lots of down time, talking to guards and patrons
Cons
Poor salary, not enough hours
Nice work place
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 19, 2018
Work there not for too long, but really liked it.
Employees are friendly and helping each other, management team is great and really focusing on whats really important.
Pros
Ability to travel, flexible hours
Cons
sometimes long hours before the season
100% Disappointed
Area Pools Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MAAugust 11, 2018
I was lied to from day one ... if you are an American ... you are not going anywhere with High Sierra.
If I could give zero stars ... I would.

(Approve of High Sierra's CEO? No idea who he is ... do not even know his name.)
Pros
worked with Good people on a daily basis
Cons
management ... no potential for advancement ... zero job security
International Students are not your slaves !
Former lifefuard (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 9, 2018
This company doesnt have any regard for international students as they are not equally paid they pay international students. $9 per hour which is way below minimum wage in this current state and now they are advertising jobs for $13 an hour.

International students should be paid just fairly as you pay others.

Stop using us High Sierra
Pros
Good hours lots of over time
Cons
Poor management unfair pay
Overall great work experience
POOL OPERATOR/LIFEGUARD (Current Employee) –  Crofton, MDNovember 21, 2018
I loved working for High Sierra Pools. I had a great manager that loved my work ethic. I would go out of my way to get more time to work there every single week because the pay was so good. I did have to travel sometimes but it was never too far out of my range to drive to.
Productive and fun workplace
Supervisor swimming pools facilities (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 6, 2018
Dynamic working days
Learned how to be a good manager
, How to train people
The hardest part was working under pressure and having to deal with hard to deal employees
Very friendly workplace and team-oriented coworkers
Fun Summer Job
Lifeguard/Facility Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 21, 2018
Workplace culture is great. This job is an awesome opportunity for a lot of people from different countries to come and work over the summer.

Most enjoyable part of the job - getting to know people, networking, and making friends
Pros
Relaxed job
Cons
Low pay
Relax and Fun place to work for a teenager
Assistant Manager / Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  South Riding, VAJanuary 8, 2019
I worked over the summers when I was in high school for High Sierra pools and it was a great time. Pool-side for 8 hours a day could not be better for a teenager in high school. I highly recommend.
best place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22204October 25, 2018
Loved it here. The staff was always helpful and friendly. The checks always came in on time. Great bonuses. Good instructors for the lifeguard test at the beginning of employment. Safety is #1
Pros
Nice supervisors, very patient
Cons
The patrons can get needy
Fun welcoming environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Olney, MDNovember 19, 2018
High Sierra was a fun yet intense experience as I had to overcome a few obstacles and figure out how to do certain things myself. It helps you stay patient and grow in appreciating the outdoors.
Pros
lunch
Cons
hours
Good first Lifeguarding job
Head Lifeguard/Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2018
I live in New York and was recommended this job from a mutual friend and thought to give it a go. I completed the certification at the High Sierra Pools office and proceeded to work in the HR department for the next week. Lifeguarding is great however, the schedule makers for the company are very flaky and often times give schedule the day of work. Other than that it is a good first experience for lifeguards. A very international company as a lot of lifeguards are on work and travel program from Europe.
Pros
Great Pools, Good Office Exposure
Cons
Company Housing, Schedule Makers
Good work environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2018
Pretty straight forward work system, you have certain task throughout the day that must be completed. Daily interactions with patrons. Could be better with lunch breaks and things of that nature.
Pros
Good hours, and friendly staff
Cons
No lunch break at most pools. Sometimes hours can be extensive
Very good summer job
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Arlington County, VASeptember 15, 2018
The team was good to work with. The accommodation provided was nice and I had a lot of fun working there. The company organizes nice events where people can meet and share experience.
Excellent company with a friendly enviroment and good benefits.
Pool Technician (Former Employee) –  2704 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VirginiaMay 31, 2018
It began with a cup of coffee at the office, while we wait for our tasks, departing to the assigned job site, sometimes with a helper, tools and the right material to fix the problem. Identify and solve the problem, making sure that we fix the problem by testing equipment in the minimum possible time. Call the office and report that everything was alright and proceed with the next task. Present reports by the end of the day.
Flexible working environment
Human Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 20, 2018
HSP is very accommodating when it comes to peoples work schedules. They allow for flexibility when you arrive and leave, even working from home. I would recommend this company.
work and travel program
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 31, 2017
Working from 10 am till 8 pm every day.
Usually one day off during the week.
I improved my english language skills.
Poor working environment.
Minimal salary.
Long working hours.
Meeting and talking to new people.
Freedom at work.
Pool Company with lots of friendly people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22204March 11, 2018
Pool Surveillance at the pool to make sure Pools were safe.

I learned to be even more attentive with my work and make sure things were safe and tidy. I was a pool operator/manager

The workplace culture was diverse.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the machinery.
I would rather do office work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being in my comfort zone since I was a swimmer.
Pros
Nice enviroment
Cons
Hard Boss/Manager to follow - Alexandria, Va
Best in the pool industry, with a diverse, multinational staff.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 5, 2017
I worked for High Sierra Pools for five years, and I learned a lot from the company about legal compliance, safety, and business in general. Staffing is sometimes a problem in this industry, but High Sierra Pools provides better service for their clients than their competitors do. I wish them well, and I recommend their services to anyone who is looking for better quality.

The management team tends to value good workers. If you are a good worker, then you will probably be recognized as such fairly quickly, and possibly offered more responsibility as a result.
Pros
Nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it.
Cons
Hr, please don't forget to send out W-2 forms at tax time to your former employees.
Good place to work but need to include benefits for full time lifeguards
Lifeguard/Pool and Spa Operator (Current Employee) –  Arlington VA 22204December 6, 2014
Work environment is okay, good supervision and management. The more difficult part of the job is working with no brakes. Overall good company but needs to include benefits for full time lifeguard.
Pros
Flexible Shifts
Cons
No benefits
Official response from HIGH SIERRA POOLS
July 31, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to share that High Sierra Pools, Inc. has offered benefits to full time lifeguards for two years now. For more information, please call HSP HR Department.

Best Regards,
High Sierra Pools, Inc. HR Department

A great environment to grow as a worker independently
Lifeguard/Pool Operator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 25, 2015
you work alone unless you work at a multiguard pool.
Checking pool levels and keeping pool clean make you very happy when do things yourself you didnt know you could do
Pros
Room to learn and grow, great salary
Cons
Poor communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HIGH SIERRA POOLS. Our community is ready to answer.