Higher Achievement Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
workplace culture
Center Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 13, 2017
Higher Achievement has a very strong culture and I believe that the organization differs greatly from organizations such as the YMCA and the Boys and Girls Club.
Filing and Scanning
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 20, 2017
I was a receptionist and a file clerk. I scanned paperwork to upload into there digital system. I had to organize everything by date and year and give customers directions for where to go.
Pros
It was a great area to work in because of the location
Cons
My boss was not easy to work for.
Great place to grow as a young professional
AmeriCorps Achievement Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2017
Great place to grow as a young professional, but roles are limited for growth after a year. It is a fun place to work and they want you to grow and are open to feedback.
productive place
Patient Transporter (part time) (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJune 2, 2017
a great place to grow in the company. the training prepare you fo whats to come . you are able to be your self and you are not being micro managed but to each their own .
Fun fast paced environment
Preschool/Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 22, 2017
Meeting and working with new co-workers and staff. Interviewing, hiring/replacing and training new staff members. Working of productions and customer service while maintaining a clean store/restaurant for customers and staff. Boosting sales.
Great way to gain experience with high risk of burn out
Center Director, Lakeland Achievement Center (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 19, 2017
Note this review is for the Baltimore affiliate.

Higher Achievement is an organization that is great in theory, but horrible in practice. Since arriving here, there has been multiple turn over in higher positions resulting in a lack of direction and management. There is a lot of pressure from the National side of the organization to achieve goals that are often impossible due to lack of funding or extreme funding requirements. Furthermore, the work required cannot be completed in 50 hours and often interferes with time off, including weekends and "program leave." It's a great way to break into the education nonprofit scene here in Baltimore, however, as people don't tend to stay long it seems as though its becoming a revolving door of people gaining the experience they need before quickly and promptly moving on.
You will love the scholars!
Center Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2017
Working at Higher Achievement was at times tough, yet a rewarding job. Although my average rating is a 3, I rated them a 4 because of the quality of programming offered to students/scholars. The team work among the Center staff and other co-workers was a huge motivator! Like-minded individuals coming together for the greater good created the energy to move through each day. The hardest part of the job was keeping tabs on the many moving parts that occurred outside of the work being accomplished with scholars. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching students excel in ways they could not have imagined. Reading about their acceptances into top high schools in Washington, DC was the ultimate reward for a scholar's job well done. Along with their mentors, you become an integral part of their daily lives and create long lasting bonds. Some days, the scholars breathe life into you as they share their thoughts, feelings and emotions through poems, songs, activism. Whether big or small, these actions pulled you back to work with them another day. Any adult applying to work at Higher Achievement must remember to always be open to learn from the scholars. They have more to teach us than you think! If nothing else, they will teach you about yourself.
Pros
Great healthcare, team environment, staff accomplishments celebrated
Great Entry Level Experience in Youth Development
Afterschool Academy Coordinator/Mentor Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 9, 2016
Great program going through some transition currently.
Excellent work experience builder.
Great work schedule.
Relaxed attire.
Typical Day at Center
Scholar Mentor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2015
Higher Achievement seeks professionals, college students, and retirees to volunteer for their Afterschool Academy. Adults participate in Study Hall, Mentoring, and High School Placement of Middleschool youth from under-served communities in the DC Metropolitan Area.
Awesome
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 9, 2014
Great Place to work
Love the students
Fun
Management is great
Great people, felt apart of a community
Achievement Coach (Current Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 14, 2014
There is no typical day with middle school students. They can be doing well one day and screaming at you the next. In this job there is also a lot of outreach with teachers, mentors, and parents. This is something that is constant every week. I am writing emails and making phone calls to different members who can help with the student. This is a job that I really enjoy. The care that is shown for the students through Higher Achievement is refreshing in a big city like DC. The creation of a community is also something that can be difficult to find in the city.
Pros
Learning patience, great support
Cons
odd hours, middle school students can be a lot of work
fun work place, high energy,nice people
Mentor/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 6, 2014
Higher achievement summer program gave me a chance to use my office skills as well as work with children
The future
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2014
I begun mentoring after I came back home to D.C. I wanted to give back to an organization that focused on uplifting and encouraging children to learn and grow as young adults.

I was blessed to have a mentor in my younger days in school and wanted to show kids that people similar to their background can go to college and succeed.
Pros
once a week, great kids
Cons
was in grad school and had to stop going
Premiere afterschool program
Program Assistant and Center Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2013
The scholars/students are truly at the center of the work that occurs here. This organization is very mission focused and superb!
The Scholars are so much fun.
Achievement Coach (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2013
The management and coworkers are a joy to be around. The hardest part about the job when you have to deal with attiudes but they are easily fixed with scholars. A typical day of work for me is helping the scholars with their challenges on homework.