Highgate Hotels Employee Reviews

2.4
Ratings breakdown
It was a mistake working here
Chef/Cook (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJuly 9, 2018
I took this job thinking that it would be a great opportunity. It ended up being a huge mistake. Poor management from the corporate mainland bosses all the way down to the general manager. Communication was not good at all, and things would constantly change by the day. Too many people trying to steer the ship. Lack of clear direction and consistency. Upper management is very two faced, telling you one thing but doing something else behind your back. Worst work environment that I've every been a part of.
Pros
Health benefits, co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Where to start...
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 22, 2018
Horrible, toxic company to work for. Huge disconnect on all levels from the owners, to corporate, and trickling down to the hotel executives down through to the managers. Too many high level persons giving directions with no regards to operational efficiency or the workers. Bottom line it's all about cost and not about the guests and guest service. Success in the company is based upon favoritism and how much you are willing to suck up and not performance based. Very deceitful company as they lie or bend the truth on all levels.
Pros
Full health benefits, 401K, Competitive Pay Scale
Cons
Lack of direction, toxic work environment, No transparency
This is the hardest place to work No Backup No Support An at times No Breaks ...
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 17, 2018
Bad place to work No Backup ,No Support . They have a too high expectation on the staff ,
To create miracles to take care of business an everything in fastest pace possible, Especially when short staffed. , an it's never good enough , You are a Server, Bartender, Cashier , an for a nightly event what you have to do for your job , should be the Higher Salary ?? Rather Than. Min. Wage ,?? Tips , Monetary Value was also lacking , not great for what you have do, an go through every shift ?? Management never do what they supposed to do , An their lack of understanding ,we have to endure , which make everything you do so much harder .No communications from department's management in hotel.
Pros
Meal Discount, Hotel Discount, Medical, Dental, Vision, Care
Cons
Short Breaks, or No Breaks
Not a people company
Sales (Former Employee) –  HawaiiJune 11, 2018
They have no clue about the Hawaiian culture or its people. Management has little respect for employees that have worked for the company and basically lie to its employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor management
Productive and fun place to work
Complex Director of Security (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2018
HIghgate hotels is a work hard play hard environment. Plenty to do as we continue to grow as a brand and management company. The most enjoyable part of the job is implementing new innovative programs and seeing the fruit of the labors.
Pros
great work environment
Great co-workers, poor management
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMay 21, 2018
Co-workers in every department were wonderful. Management is horrible. GM has no idea what is going on in his own resort. The only time management cares is when someone from Highgate is coming in. Working with the guest (good & bad) is something I enjoy.
Co-workers are like extended family.
Instead of hiring from inside, they tend to go out and then hire people that are not qualified for the job.
If Highgate would pay more attention to what goes on it would probably be a great place to work. Pay scale is reasonable and benefits were good.
Pros
Co-workers
Good benefits
Accountant (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 14, 2018
Highly qualified senior management. Growing company. Opportunity for advancement. Opportunity to travel all over the world. Opportunity to gain international experience.
Okay work...scheduling is terrible
Taj Boston, Steward (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2018
Okay work...scheduling is terrible
You don't always get a 40 hour week, even if you are a full-time worker, while some workers with longevity get overtime
It was a good place to work for
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 28, 2018
The Christmas parties was fun every year plus every month they would have food and cake for the employees birthdays the work wasn’t that hard once you got the hang of it the hours was good the employees was cool once you got to know them i was there for 20 years
Pros
Free lunch every month
Cons
Good health care
A Mistake Defines You
Front Office Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2018
No matter what good you do they only see the negative. There is nothing that you can do, it's never enough. I loved working there, they didn't like me
Pros
The People
Cons
The People
Director of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2018
Management was very focused and very supportive. A sales and revenue driven company. Management provided the tools necessary for us to perform in a competitive marketplace and attain our goals
Very fast-paced but fun!
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, NYMarch 12, 2018
Great experience working here, management was always helpful. Very fast paced environment, challenging at times but fun! Highgate was always there for it's employees. Would have never left this job if I didn't have to relocate.
Awful place to work
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  AreaMarch 3, 2018
Split Rock Resort, Terrible place to work, management treats you like dirt. HR dept was another joke, getting paid accurately and on time was another problem. They import foreign workers from different countries to do American jobs that are out of work in the area.They are managed by Highgate hotels.
Pros
none at all
Cons
none at all
ok place but poorly managed- They take advantage of their employees
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CAFebruary 26, 2018
Many days working there with no lunch break or any break.
Extremely short staffed and management doesnt care
Supervisor/Manager unqualified. Kinda a mess.
Many employees just walk out.
If tolerated it can be a ok place as some of the staff and
guests are great. But not run well. Free lunches but you dont really get an option. Schedule changes on a daily bases. HR takes days to respond. They expect you to work 14-16 hour days without any breaks. Made me want to never work at hotels again. Extremely poorly managed. They dont care about their employees. Very Very high turn over. No security at night for overnight staff.
Pros
nice staff, great guests, working with no supervision.
Cons
No breaks, No benefits, hostile management
Hilton Garden Inn - Completely Mismanaged!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLFebruary 2, 2018
Awful management! Tried to help out and identify problems in F&B but got on the short list really quick. I started to feel the squeeze immediately. Tried to call timeout and relocate within the system but the HR over the Keys Collection didn't see me as a valuable employee.
Pros
Nice benefit package
Cons
Horrible management. Not valued as a team member.
wonderful place to work
Senior Project Manager (Full-Time Consultant) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Really enjoyed working at Highgate. All my bosses were great people. I have worked here a few times and each time was great. if they needed me I would go back no problem.
Fun work place with pool room
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 26, 2018
Its doing the same thing avery day , learned how to work as team ,my manager is nice give feedback,when I dont have all the items I need,team work
Pros
Free stay at the hotel
Cons
Health care
Upper management provides not support
Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FL( Washington Park)January 26, 2018
The property I was just got a new general manager when I got there. The front meeting with all the departments he made is known that he did not want to provide training for the new employees. He was also presented that he did want us making many mistakes. This a complete contradiction. If you want thing to go well you have to invest in your employees.
Cons
Upper management is very shady
Selfish
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Tannersville, PAJanuary 22, 2018
They don't care about their employees. They are very shady. Camelback owners were disgusting. Only gave us less than 2 weeks notice for laying the department off. Not to mention they had no details for us.
Banquet Bartender (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA seeJanuary 19, 2018
I enjoy working there I like working with the public Managers work with you to give you the tools to work. My co workers are friends o mine see My finngers are tired from writing all this unnecessary drivel
Pros
Good people
Cons
Travel time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highgate Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight