Highgate Senior Living Employee Reviews

Fulfill a calling, but stressful circumstances.
Memory Care Giver (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTSeptember 22, 2019
Refer to resume for more details. Daily tasks include but are not limited to assisting senior residents with most tasks related to diet, hygiene, routine, communication, hobbies, etc - we are there to give care, and keep everyone as comfortable and engaged as possible. I learned a lot about empathy, patience, and communication. The most enjoyable part is the genuine love that is shared between caregivers and residents - we all become family. The hardest part is a never-ending list of responsibilities that seem less and less to do with resident care, and more and more to do with saving the company money on hiring adequate staff with quality training. I have had 6 managers since I started work 18 months ago, which, I believe, speaks for itself.
Poor management
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 16, 2019
Great Residents, Free food and met many great co-workers. Terrible Schedule’s no regard for home work life balance. Underpaid for the work performed no appreciation from management. Terrible micro management, a stressful working environment because of management.
Pros
Residents and Care Partners
Sucks
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WASeptember 14, 2019
They hired a new maintenance manager and he is super lazy and does not fix anything. He has been there for like 2 months and no one has seen him fix anything and tells the residents he’s too busy to help them. When in fact they are the reason we even have jobs. Don’t know what Highgate was thinking when they hired that idiot.
Productive workplace
Front Desk Receptionist/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTSeptember 8, 2019
Very busy at the front desk. It is a pleasure to help the residents and their families. I am able to remember everyone's name and build relationships. Lots of team members to work with and help.
Terrible place to work
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAAugust 26, 2019
I worked at the Yakima, WA Highgate. It started out great. the residents are absolutely amazing, I loved working with them. And a couple of my co-workers were great as well. But the management is terrible. They don't train well, and they don't use logic when they do. They would rather run the center as a medical institution versus the resident's home. When those changes came, it turned the place upside down and made the work environment so chaotic that no one wanted to work in it. The management also plays favoritism with certain employees, so beware, if you dont fit in that clique, you will become everybodies slave, and thats not just from my own experience but from several others experience as well.
So if you want to work somewhere with no chance for advancement, no chance for a pay raise, and having to deal with constent stress and highschool drama, apply at Yakima, WA Highgate Senior Living.
Poor
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAAugust 12, 2019
Over all the best thing about high Gate is caring for the residents that choose to live there, even though they tell them the food is gourmet, fresh, that is a lie. Frozen, boxed, and sometimes prepared days ahead in advance. Head nurse for medication Tech. Says if the residents are breathing don't call her at home unless there is a real emergency, not very professional if you as me. EDalways
Pros
The residents
Cons
Management, pay, favoritism, and lies
Highgate summary
Server (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 11, 2019
Overall highgate was good as a temporary job. 11.67$ an hour was nice, but nothing big enough to advance myself to where I want to be. It was amazing to get to know some of the amazing residents and all of the friendly staff.
Worst Management Ever
Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJuly 28, 2019
My previous manager was the worst manager that I have ever had! She started rumors, gossiped, lied about many things and was often not completely honest. It is always understaffed and has a very high turnover rate. When people would complain about our manager to our overall boss for that location they would act like it was new information that they never heard and would still do nothing about it.
Carepartner (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAJuly 24, 2019
Very home like wonderful staff always smiles I love Highgate of yakima. They go above and beyond for there residents and staff. I've never loved a job like this one.
poor management
Activity Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAJuly 20, 2019
The director and one of the upper management was horrible. Would yell at employees, start rumors, cause drama, put employees down, gossip. Large turn around rate due to those 2 people. The rest of the management and employees are very nice to work with and it’s a team
Effort.
Unfortunately unfair workplace.
Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJune 28, 2019
I worked here for almost a year. Love the residents and how rewarding it was to see them everyday. But, unfortunately management was one of the worst I have seen. Lots of favoritism towards care partners from the main coordinator, causing leads not to do their jobs successfully or correctly; or in some cases throughout the time I was there, doing their job at all. Along with the management problem, it also includes changing employment status from full-time to part-time without any consultation or saying anything for that fact even as I kept asking for hours over and over.
I worked over in the cottage side, and it was very hard to get help for transfers. Especially from leads and care partners from the manor when there was short staff on my side and we were both occupied with residents.
I made some great friends and relationships with some co-workers and Residents, but it really was more stressful days/nights without anyway to have days to yourself because of lack of management. Hopefully other people will have better experiences.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Long hours sometimes, extremely poor management and communication.
Unproductive
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJune 12, 2019
I enjoyed working at Highgate the first 2 weeks out of 4 months being employed. My training only lasted 2 days before they put me on the schedule by myself. When I had a family emergency and gave more than 2 hour notice of calling in prior to shift, Highgate still makes their workers come in and work. Med tech's there are not very experienced, especially in emergencies. Med tech positions seem seem to be offered based on seniority and not actual work experience. Med techs don't offer to help, they go home at an earlier time when they are done with their work and except the caregivers to handle emergencies. Highgate does not seem to value your personal life outside of work, only value the shifts that need to be covered. Most likely will schedule you on the floor by yourself, leaving the shift to be short staffed.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
High turnover rate, insincere with personal lives or family emergencies
Disaster when I left on My own accord
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAMay 30, 2019
5 of 7 division managers either quit of gave notice and left employment there when I worked there for 6 months!
Complete disregard for any decorum or genuine manners.
A stressful and disorganized atmosphere for both staff and residents.
A few family members of residents confided in Me (as they removed their loved ones from there) that they couldn’t wait to get out of that place!
I was shocked at the callous attitude of the career management who were brought in from other facilities that are part of this 9 facility organization!....it was all about MONEY with the false smiles to potential ,as well as current residents and their families.
In closing, I would rather go gently into the grave then stay 1 day in this place!
Pros
One meal per day
Cons
Stifling of One’s will to participate in working in this place
Nice residents
Certified Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZMay 17, 2019
Poor management. It's just another corporate environment, all about the bottom line. The employees and residents are just numbers to the. I love my coworkers but can't stand the management.
Poor managment
CP (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTApril 3, 2019
Management is poor and work culture is high paced. Such a rewarding and fun job with residents and their family members, but management does not support the rest of the team.
Poor Management
Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 23, 2019
For as much as management screams that Highgate is a family, they do not care about you as an individual. This is a highly stressful job that is extremely high paced. You have to be ready for that. And Highgate will ask for more until you burn out and have NOTHING left to give. Do not give them an inch, they will ask for miles.

The only redeeming part of this job is the residents. The feeling of satisfaction you get from helping those sweet people will be the most rewarding part of every day. Also, the chefs are phenomenal cooks. They provide meals for the staff and nine times out of ten the food tastes amazing.
Fun job
Housekeeper/Laundry (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTFebruary 7, 2019
Lovedl all the residents supplied. We’re abundant
My fellow housekeepers worked well together. It definitely is a long day but well worth it. I really love. Highgate in Bozeman
Pros
Safe place to work in
Cons
Relax and fun workplace with friendly people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 28, 2019
Doing volunteer at Highgate Senior Living is an amazing experience. Working in this place, you can have chances to learn about how to take care of elders, respect people with different cultures, and be active listening. Everyone in there is friendly and willing to help each other.
Productive and fun work environment
Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTDecember 11, 2018
Had to leave due to my husbands military orders. The staff and the residents were very professional. I received many experiences with this company, but our time was cut short due to receiving military orders for Florida.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No breaks
Poor management
Care Partner/Medication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MT 59405November 18, 2018
A typical day at work was always walking on ice with the staff and the management as everyone always had something to complain about. The residents were a delight, they made the job bearable. There were a few whom I had grown to love and the hardest part was watching them go down hill and eventually pass on. What I learned working for this company for about a year is that, in order to work in this kind of work you need to have: kindliness, affection, warmth, gentleness, concern, care; consideration, helpfulness, thoughtfulness, unselfishness, selflessness, altruism, compassion, sympathy, understanding, big-heartedness, benevolence, benignity, friendliness, hospitality, neighborliness; generosity, magnanimity and charitableness.
Pros
free food on the morning and afternoon shifts
Cons
Poor management, nearly impossible to request time off or vacation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highgate Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight