Highland Hospital Employee Reviews

Nice stepping stone
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 15, 2018
Highland is a smaller hospital so it's nice that way. Everyone is basically very friendly. Its a perk to be near the park in the summer as there really is no place to decompress due to lack of space. So spending a half hour in the park alone is a huge deal.

I say stepping stone because if you are looking to make more money, then this isn't the place for you. Compared to other places, Highlands pay scale is on the lower end.

Off-site parking is inconvenient but affordable. Privacy is an issue as there is a lack of space. Literally have to go outside to take a personal call as they place 3-4 people per office.

Overall, it is a nice place to work. No other complaints.
Pros
Small hospital, friendly staff
Cons
Pay, lack of privacy
Good for volunteering
Office Assistant & Patient Service Navigator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 31, 2018
Since I'm only a volunteer at Highland Hospital, I don't know what it's like to work for full-time, so this review should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I have greatly enjoyed my time volunteering there: I like my co-workers, supervisors, and patients, and I've gotten the chance to get skills and experience in a professional environment.
Absolutely horrible
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Kanawha City, WVOctober 29, 2018
Literally the worst place ever to work! Extremely poor management. They do not care about their staff, they are extremely understaffed. The patients are very out of control and more behavioral then anything. You will honestly get beat up every day you work.
Cons
Everything!
This is job that you need to love, in order to help.
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVOctober 18, 2018
There isn't any solid structure. Even though there is a planned routine, the patients usually are regulars and do not receive the help they need. To have to hold a child down, for me; was too hard on me mentally, spiritually and physically
Highland was an In depth learning experience
Internship (Former Employee) –  1411 E 31st St, Oakland, CA 94602November 4, 2018
The time I spent working in Highland Hospital were some of the most eye opening months of my life. I will never for get the feeling of smiling and keeping professional while taking to patients, no matter how angry or bad they would behave.
A very professional place to be employed
LVN (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 28, 2018
I enjoyed my employment at Highland Hospital. Although it is closed now, I enjoyed working for this hospital. I was given many opportunities to work different areas of nursing. I was a patient care nurse, medication nurse, occassional charge nurse, endoscopy nurse and emergency room nurse. The nursing supervisors were top notch nurses.
Pros
experience, off every other week-end
Cons
it closed.
patients are great management not so much
BHT (Former Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVJuly 28, 2018
The work environment was very stressful. I was hired close to the time of opening. No matter what you did, you was never thanked, but you was always told what you did wrong. I was passed up several times for positions that I applied for over friends and family members. I was always stuck working the weekends and holidays over new hires.
stressful
Operating Room Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 14, 2018
fast pace, stressful, not enough time in the day to complete your work load
making sure having implants for upcoming patient surgeries .
following backorders, constraint orders , when inventory is not available.
under new management,
Pros
my hours / 6am 2:30pm
Cons
stressful
Very Interesting place to work due to the patients but not good administration
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 10, 2018
I enjoy working at Highland Hospital because I have experienced a wide range of psychiatric disorders which better prepares me for my future in graduate school and the field of psychology. However, I disagree with the administration on various topics, staffing, and policies.
Enjoy the work and the patients
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 16, 2018
Love the patients and level of care that is required. Helps me to stay active and think quickly. I enjoy the flexibility in the schedule and working as a team.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Minimal option for moving up
Not a good hospital
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALNovember 27, 2018
The don't train you on anything you are supposed to do,they show you once the turn you loose like you are supposed to know where everything is and where is it supposed to go
Great Hospital, Okay Pay
Registered Nurse - Medical/Surgical (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 28, 2018
Great teaching hospital to get your feet wet, and a lot of room to advanced in certifications. Not very competitive wages and staffing can be poor. Would recommend working as a travel nurse.
PCT while going to nursing school.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 15, 2018
The people I worked with were great. I gained skills that helped me as a nurse. I was per Diem so I did not run into a lot of drudgery that happens with full time.
Pros
Great place to learn.
Very Busy Office
Patient Registration Associate (Former Employee) –  1000 South Ave. Rochester, nyJanuary 9, 2019
Very Busy Surgery Department. The office was remodeled which made the atmosphere brighter. The doctors, pa's, nurses, techs, and office personnel were great.
Consider working somewhere else
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 4, 2018
This job is not worth the stress and drama. The doctors are extremely nice to work with and the hours are good but when it comes to working with co workers, you need to watch your back.
Workplace culture
Nurse Director (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 2, 2018
I loved the culture of this hospital staff. Employees are committed to caring for the people of Oakland. They worked hard and strived for excellence and growth.
Pros
Physician partnership
Cons
Serveral Senior Leadership changes
Was the best place for me to begin my career
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 13, 2018
My experience was the best fit for me to Begin my career. The seasoned technologists where always ready to help with questions and opinions. it was an overall great experience.
Ping pong
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 25, 2018
Wonderful place, very friendly, good employees. Very clean, excellent patient care, very diverse, teaching hospital,affiliated with university of Rochester. Great cafeteria, as well as boars head deli, lots of wonderful things in the gift shop. Our maternity ward is one of the best in our area.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Benefits
Outpatient clinic does not offer room for advancement
Practice Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 23, 2018
The outpatient clinic for Highland Hospital is very fast paced and stressful. Current management is inconsistent in providing support to their respected teams. Long days, often required to work overtime.There is a culture of "dumping" when providers are behind or don't know how to help a patient and are more interested in moving on to their next rather than learning the workflow processes of staff in other positions on their team.
It's aight.
Activities therapy aide (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WV 25304October 1, 2018
They pay you, and if you don't mind getting assaulted by psychotic patients it's a real easy job. There really ain't that much more to it than that. It was a good experience.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Combative patients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highland Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.5Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight