Highlands Behavioral Health System Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
experiece at Highlands Behavioral Health
Patient Account Rep (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 21, 2018
There is not enough staff and there is a work over load. Work is fast paced from the beginning to the end of the day. I learned how to handle patient account with insurance and accounts payable. Everyone stays to themselves. New management started off overwhelming, not really knowing the job, with unrealistic expectations.
Stressful environment with little teamwork
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COApril 13, 2018
While the staff and patients are wonderful to work with, management generally seems to fail at supporting staff or fostering an organized and smooth-running workplace. Training is inefficient and there is a major us vs. them mentality between departments.
Pros
Great benefits, opportunity to work with a great population of patients
Cons
Understaffed, stressful, disorganized
Unsafe & chaotic.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMarch 24, 2018
No structure in that place. Nurse/patient ration insanely wrong! Poor communication. Culture of gossip & pointing fingered at each other instead of working as a team! Unsafe, chaotic place to work.
Pros
Helping the ones in need.
Cons
Unsafe & chaotic.
Terrible staffing
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMarch 21, 2018
Multiple mandatory double shifts, not enough staff. Major incentives to pick up shifts but always at the risk of having to stay over for a double. Reminded more than once that it is considered patient abandonment to not accept mandated double shift.
Profit-driven at the expense of quality patient care
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJuly 12, 2017
Typical day = 11-13+ patients with main emphasis on case mgmt
Facility is chronically understaffed as a business model/practice to maximize profits (hiring temporary, p/t employees which = high turnover, minimal training, and considerably fewer 401K company payouts).
Social worker leading "therapy" groups solo with 25-30 patients (including kids!) which is NOT quality treatment; this is more like babysitting. PHP charges patients approximately a few hundred dollars/day for treatment, which is facilitated by unlicensed counselors (fresh out-of-school) who lead groups without a curriculum, often without a plan, and frequently hired for the day (on a PRN basis). Programs are not run according to quality, evidence-based practices, which is a poor standard given the needs of higher acuity patients. Social workers are so busy with case management that they have no time to meet with patients for the minimum of 30 minutes sessions 3x per week (required for Medicaid and Medicare contracts/reimbursement?!). The parent company, UHS (Universal Health Systems) is being federally investigated for fraud (and other issues).
This system offers an incentive for RNs who elect to stay for 3 months, again at 6 months and for a year (which speaks volumes about this system). I have known nurses injured on the job, as well as others who managed caseloads of 1 RN to 15 patient (1 to 30 or 60 sometimes, which is two units, on overnight shifts). Behavioral techs, who are the least-trained employees, often manage units and lead groups (with inadequate credentials and training - to no fault of their
  more... own).  less
Pros
Clinical exposure pre-licensure
Cons
Quantity over quality, excessive case loads, unsafe patient-to-staff ratios
High Turn over
Lead Behavioral Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 15, 2017
Don't care about staff safety. Have high turn over rate of staff. They do care about patient safety just not the people who work for them. I find that this is common in all UHS facilities
Learned alot
Behavioral Health Advocate - Full-time-Nights (Former Employee) –  coloradoMarch 3, 2017
pretty good experience I was working nights and it just was not for me but overall good company. the only down side is that their company is entirely paper based.
Love helping others
Charge Nurse and Floor/Med Nurse (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 28, 2016
I feel like I get to use my talents and training here at Highlands Behavioral System and would love to work at another UHS facility.
Pros
I work with an amazing group of intellectuals with big hearts I am lucky to be a part of this group.
Cons
Early mornings
Great begining residential treatment facility for college students or recent graduates
Adolescent Counselor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ColoradoJanuary 4, 2016
Excelsior has been open for a very long time. The environment is very therapeutic. Management is supportive, understanding and open to new ideas. The benefits package was wonderful which included a cost of living raise each year, Christmas bonus and several hours of personal time off and vacation hours. You were offered x2 pay and 1 vacation day, x3 pay or regular pay with 2 vacation days on holidays. Recreational outings were very fun, staff were offered opportunities to receive paid continue education, or 75% of tuition reimbursement if "C" or above. Meals were provided, outings were paid for and you were always treated with respect by fellow employees. 9 hour shifts with OT if desired.
Pros
Steady therapeutic environment, great benefits package
Cons
Hardly any opportunities for advancement as everyone loves to stay at Excelsior
Highly stressful environment doing intake and admission on psychiatric patients coming primarily from emergency rooms
Intake Social Worker PRN (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJanuary 4, 2016
Despite the difficult environment, I liked this job. However, the management changed and there were a number of cutbacks. I was unable to get enough hours to make the commute and the work worth it.
Pros
Good Manangement
Cons
Not enough hours
Bhs
Receptionist, Medical Records (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COAugust 10, 2015
A typical day at Highlands consists of answering the phone and directing the calls to their desired office. As families and patients walk in it is my duty to help them with questions and concerns. If it is a patient then certain departments need to be notified and escorted into intake. Everyday is different and you have to be ready for a slow or a busy day.
Negative culture
RN (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, ColoradoJuly 19, 2015
Not enough staff, no support from upper management, negative work culture. High staff turn over rates, work load is too high and not enough people to help get basic tasks completed.
A lot of stress related to this job
Behavioral health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 23, 2015
This was a great place to work only because the patients if you enjoy helping patients. The only reason I left is because I was leaving the state.
Do not Recomend
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  littleton CO.May 20, 2015
If you enjoying working with nice adults who don't gossip then do not apply!
If you need more than a half a days training before achieving perfection in your position than do not apply!
If you enjoy being treated as a human in the cafeteria than do not apply!
If you enjoy life in general then do not apply!
Pros
Its a job.
Best coworkers TERRIBLE management
Behavioral Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 23, 2014
I worked for UHS for about a year and while I was there I learned a lot about mental health and inpatient treatment. The staff is (mostly) amazing which is even more impressive when you consider that the facility fails to provide them with even the most basic of necessities - think hygiene products for patients, pens, sticky notes. We were constantly understaffed and reprimanded when we had to stay late in order to finish work. The management doesn't care about patient safety, their employees needs or creating a positive and supportive work environment. The main goal of the hospital is to make money regardless of the cost. On top of all of this there was inconsistency between managers/units and the pay is far below competitive. Mental health is an incredibly stressful but rewarding field but if you're looking for an employer that will appreciate the hard work you put in: look elsewhere.
Pros
Amazing staff, cheap meals, flexible shifts
Cons
Short breaks, understaffing, terrible management, overworked and underappreciated employees, low pay
Behavioral Health in patient facility
Director PI, IC , Education and lab (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, ColoraadoMarch 6, 2014
Director of Quality process improvement throughout the facility. Worked with State and Federal representatives ongoing basis to keep facility compliant.
Managed the Infection Control department for facility employees health requirements.
Monthly and weekly education for physicians , nurses and behavioral health specialists.
Liaison for laboratory requirements with contract company LabCorp.
Interim Director of Nursing from December 2013 to end of February 2014. Prepared in-going DON for the requirements of her position.
Okay if you can work in a fast paced, high demand job
Behavioral Health Advocate (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 17, 2014
Constantly on your feet and eyes open as wide as you can because lives literally depend on it. Some nurses and BHAs are amazing co-workers, some are more of a pain than the pay is worth. But at the end of the day, the kids are what matters and watching them discharge in a good mental place is worth all the sweat and frustration.
Productive and caring facility for the community
Patient Representative (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 21, 2013
A typical day at work for me consists of coming in and completeing any chart audits for that day. I then check messages and follow up on any patient or family complaints, From there it is really just what comes up. I am either working on physician shedules, updating forms, following up with our DON and Nursing Executive to see if they need anything done, typing up grievances in preparation for the next month's meeting and completing any requests that come up during the day. I have learned how to manage my time, maintain professional presentation even when frustrated or having a difficult day, work well with all types of people from all different backgrounds, and to multi task very well. The hardest part of my job is attempting to resolve a grievance or concern where the family or patient isn's sure what it is that they would like to see as a resolution. This is difficult because the most enjoyable part of my job is to have a patient or familiy member walk away from our facility and their experience here with a positive feeling. If they are not sure what it is they are hoping to get thorugh our grievance process then it makes it difficult for me to work towards that positive feel.
Pros
healthcare, benefits, hours
Cons
Large turnover, a lot of changes currently with upper management
Medical records clerk (Former Employee) –  Littleton, coloradoOctober 11, 2012
The physicians worked very hard with every patient and it was a pleasure to work side by side with them. Assembled charts after patient discharge and processed release of information for further patient care. Processed patient records and purged files as well as auditing every chart. The staff was wonderful to work with and I learned a lot about mental illness and its symptoms.
Pros
great staff
Cons
no room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highlands Behavioral Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Highlands Behavioral Health System Reviews by Location