HIGHLANDS MEDICAL CENTER Employee Reviews

Sad work culture
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  ALMay 23, 2019
Over the years this place has seriously gone down hill. Co-workers I encountered had very low satisfaction. Seldom saw anyone seem content. Down trodden.
Cons
Poor work environment
I loved working with the patients!
Admissions Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALMay 6, 2019
I would still be there if the pay was better. I loved doing what I could to help patients stay as comfortable as possible during their wait. Also I was working 12 hour shifts and that was getting harder to handle.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low wages
Busy job
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALMarch 14, 2019
I enjoyed working at Highlands Medical Center because it was never boring. I always had something to do. I dealt with all kinds of patients. It is a depressing environment because there are so many unwell people.
Pros
Lunch discounts. Gym memberships. Insurance. Team work.
Cons
Long shifts. Depressing environment.
good place to work
Remote Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALMarch 8, 2019
Highlands has been a good place to work. Everyone is friendly and easy to work with. I have worked for the hospital for 3 years now and I have no issues with anything.
Low pay
Emergency room RN (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJanuary 15, 2019
Pay not comparable to other entities. High med/surg work load. NP's are not very professional to staff RN's. The hippa regulations not followed very closely by other staff RN's when it comes to neighbors and other family members knowing your business.
Pros
small hospital enviroment
Cons
Pay
Everyday is different
Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALNovember 19, 2018
Working in EMS is a calling. You never forget the faces you treat. You will experiences things on the job that you would never experience at any other job. The job is rewarding but it can also be not so rewarding. The hardest part of the job is death. You never forget. This particular company has its ups and downs. The benefits are good. The pay is not so great.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Awful Pay
Overall a good place to work
Clinical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALOctober 11, 2018
I found my job to be fulfilling and satisfying. I thrive on challenges. I was given the opportunity to provide training in management to personal. I had the opportunity to be weekend and 2nd shift supervisor.
Pros
Self motivating ang punctual.
Cons
Lazy people
unrealistic expectations
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALSeptember 24, 2018
This was one of the worst places I've ever worked. No recognition, no lunch, unrealistic expectations. The people I worked with were great. I became very discouraged with my job in the ER.
Pros
it was a job
Cons
unrealistic expectations
Enjoyed my 5 years work as a circulator in the OR
RN Circulator (Former Employee) –  ORJune 28, 2018
Only left to further my education and seek PRN status at a larger hospital. Loved the hometown feel that Highlands provided vs larger hospitals in the area.
Not an environment to thrive in
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJune 25, 2018
HMC is a place to gain work experience but not a place to stay. Co workers were malicious and unwelcoming of new nurses, supervisors did not participate in the team but seemed to try to do the least amount of work possible. Working in ED rarely got an actual lunch break, always short staffed with constant overtime. Overall morale is very low and the constant cycling in and out of upper management and whispers of the doors closing make for an unstable environment. I believe HMC could be a good place to work if it had better leaders and if those leaders worked to make the facility a better place for employees. Firm believer in if you take care of your employees, they will take care of your business.
Pros
Good place to gain experience
Cons
Low pay, bad management, poor morale, catty co workers
Small facility with a lot of potential
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Sparta, TNMay 18, 2018
This is a facility which has the potential to grow and be something special for its community. It has undergone so many changes in the past few years that it is just not the same community hospital it once was.
Usually busy with different types of patients: Especially likes Outpatient Surgery
RN (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALMarch 1, 2018
Worked almost 30 years there in several different areas: Gained lots of experience and made lifelong friends

Most of time under sound management but d8d have a few years n9t sure of job security
Pros
Stable : satisfying job close to home: Good work environment
Cons
Sometimes had to take call and work long hours; difficult to take days off when desired at times
Housekeeping
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJanuary 31, 2018
Working there as an housekeeping I loved it. I loved my co-workers they where all so nice and they even helped me when I needed it or when I was confused about something. The only thing I didn't like was I was I lived 40 minutes from my job. I'm looking for something closer.
Not enough long term employees
RN (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJanuary 20, 2018
Some colleagues are much more approachable and helpful than others. Just like any workplace. But sometimes they can make you feel like your useless and don’t know anything.
Very bad place to work, especially for a mid manager
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJanuary 16, 2018
This facility was the most poorly run hospital I ever worked at. Department heads were ignored by upper management except when something happened. Then, it was the fault of the department head. In my case, since our Center had to be accredited, I had certain standards to meet. Upper management told me to lie to the review board about compliance. When I refused, I was terminated. This is an example of the environment. By the way, it took three people to replace me.
Pros
Pay was okay
Cons
Upper management completely incompetent.
So Glad I Left
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALDecember 29, 2017
The only thing I miss is my coworkers. Management made it clear that employees were replaceable and did not seem to truly care about them. The staffing ratios were dangerous a lot of times with nurses caring for way too many patients to be safe. When approached, management would dismiss concerns. Would not go back as an employee.
Excellent place to work good to patients and it's employees
Office Manager/ Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALNovember 27, 2017
Highlands Medical Center is a hospital located in Scottsboro, AL I enjoyed my time there. I just could not work that swing shifts that was required of me at that time. Having to work 1st, 2nd and 3rd shifts all in ine week was hard to get adjusted too.
Pros
Gave Paid time off when needed
Cons
Some hours as Admitting clerk was why I had to quit
Could be great but sadly is under terrible management.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALSeptember 24, 2017
Pay scale is way off in all departments. Unless you are in administration. Management doesn't care about their employees. Taking more and more benefits away and never increasing the pay. If you get hired in at a low wage you are stuck there. Highlands is not what it used to be. Laid off over 40 recently and spent half a million in ambulances.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Low pay. Selfish employer. Constant stress. No job security.
very high passed
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALSeptember 20, 2017
always on your toes as soon as you get done with one thing there is 3 more to do but I loved it. My grandparent died when I was young so by working here it was like having 15 grandparents and being able to help them with the things they need help with on a daily basis was a very wonderful feeling. The hardest part of this job would most definitely be when a patient was lost or when one recovered enough to go home and the two of you had become close that one would be tough but also be enjoyable because you knew they were going back home to their family and continue on.
admissions
Admissions (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALSeptember 13, 2017
ER admissions clerk, I work with people as they come in for emergencies through the emergency room department of highlands medical center. I am a PRN so I work different shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HIGHLANDS MEDICAL CENTER. Our community is ready to answer.

HIGHLANDS MEDICAL CENTER Reviews by Location