HIGHLANDS MEDICAL CENTER Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not an environment to thrive in
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJune 25, 2018
HMC is a place to gain work experience but not a place to stay. Co workers were malicious and unwelcoming of new nurses, supervisors did not participate in the team but seemed to try to do the least amount of work possible. Working in ED rarely got an actual lunch break, always short staffed with constant overtime. Overall morale is very low and the constant cycling in and out of upper management and whispers of the doors closing make for an unstable environment. I believe HMC could be a good place to work if it had better leaders and if those leaders worked to make the facility a better place for employees. Firm believer in if you take care of your employees, they will take care of your business.
Pros
Good place to gain experience
Cons
Low pay, bad management, poor morale, catty co workers
Small facility with a lot of potential
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Sparta, TNMay 18, 2018
This is a facility which has the potential to grow and be something special for its community. It has undergone so many changes in the past few years that it is just not the same community hospital it once was.
Usually busy with different types of patients: Especially likes Outpatient Surgery
RN (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALMarch 1, 2018
Worked almost 30 years there in several different areas: Gained lots of experience and made lifelong friends

Most of time under sound management but d8d have a few years n9t sure of job security
Pros
Stable : satisfying job close to home: Good work environment
Cons
Sometimes had to take call and work long hours; difficult to take days off when desired at times
Housekeeping
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJanuary 31, 2018
Working there as an housekeeping I loved it. I loved my co-workers they where all so nice and they even helped me when I needed it or when I was confused about something. The only thing I didn't like was I was I lived 40 minutes from my job. I'm looking for something closer.
Not enough long term employees
RN (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJanuary 20, 2018
Some colleagues are much more approachable and helpful than others. Just like any workplace. But sometimes they can make you feel like your useless and don’t know anything.
Very bad place to work, especially for a mid manager
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJanuary 16, 2018
This facility was the most poorly run hospital I ever worked at. Department heads were ignored by upper management except when something happened. Then, it was the fault of the department head. In my case, since our Center had to be accredited, I had certain standards to meet. Upper management told me to lie to the review board about compliance. When I refused, I was terminated. This is an example of the environment. By the way, it took three people to replace me.
Pros
Pay was okay
Cons
Upper management completely incompetent.
So Glad I Left
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALDecember 29, 2017
The only thing I miss is my coworkers. Management made it clear that employees were replaceable and did not seem to truly care about them. The staffing ratios were dangerous a lot of times with nurses caring for way too many patients to be safe. When approached, management would dismiss concerns. Would not go back as an employee.
Excellent place to work good to patients and it's employees
Office Manager/ Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALNovember 27, 2017
Highlands Medical Center is a hospital located in Scottsboro, AL I enjoyed my time there. I just could not work that swing shifts that was required of me at that time. Having to work 1st, 2nd and 3rd shifts all in ine week was hard to get adjusted too.
Pros
Gave Paid time off when needed
Cons
Some hours as Admitting clerk was why I had to quit
Could be great but sadly is under terrible management.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALSeptember 24, 2017
Pay scale is way off in all departments. Unless you are in administration. Management doesn't care about their employees. Taking more and more benefits away and never increasing the pay. If you get hired in at a low wage you are stuck there. Highlands is not what it used to be. Laid off over 40 recently and spent half a million in ambulances.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Low pay. Selfish employer. Constant stress. No job security.
very high passed
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALSeptember 20, 2017
always on your toes as soon as you get done with one thing there is 3 more to do but I loved it. My grandparent died when I was young so by working here it was like having 15 grandparents and being able to help them with the things they need help with on a daily basis was a very wonderful feeling. The hardest part of this job would most definitely be when a patient was lost or when one recovered enough to go home and the two of you had become close that one would be tough but also be enjoyable because you knew they were going back home to their family and continue on.
admissions
Admissions (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALSeptember 13, 2017
ER admissions clerk, I work with people as they come in for emergencies through the emergency room department of highlands medical center. I am a PRN so I work different shifts.
Highlands medical center
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALSeptember 13, 2017
Well, ever since our unit manager and DON have retired, the place really has had no management worth a spit. The hospital does provide good care and the staff are great. However, the pay is low, no raises and god forbid, you waste any money there.
Pros
none anymore
Cons
everything
Remote position
Outpatient Coder (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJune 30, 2017
A typical work day for me was to get up early and start working from a wordlist list provided by the employer. My supervisor was very nice and knew I would perform my daily duties independently each day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working remote and having my work available each day.
Enjoyed employment
IMAGING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJune 2, 2017
The time I spent working at Highlands is a highlight of my adult working life. I looked forward to going in every day. It was a pleasure to assist the patients as my primary responsibility was to transport them to x-ray ect..
Pros
Most everything
Cons
management was lax.
Wonderful people to work with!
Internship (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALMay 24, 2017
My time here was as an intern. The people who I worked with were very helpful and generous with their time and instruction. I would love to have a job here!
I really liked working here, stupid for leaving
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prestonsburg, KYMay 6, 2017
Had great benefits, a nice supervisor, enjoyed what I did. the work was very enjoyable, I worked at my own pace, Learned a lot.

The company encourage you to further your education, offered advancement, gave raises,.
Pros
got breaks, pay was good, good insurance, 401 k
Cons
there really wasnt much except for politics but that is everywhere
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALMarch 1, 2017
Great people and very friendly work environment. It is a very busy environment and there is tremendous learning potential. Management is easy to work with as well as all staff members.
Nice work environment
Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALNovember 30, 2016
I enjoy the work environment the staff is very friendly and helpful. My co-worker has been very helpful and training me. My boss is a very nice lady.
Pros
Benefits and work environment
Cons
Setting for to long
Small underfunded hospital
STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALAugust 27, 2016
Great co workers, professional. This hospital was underfunded, they were always calling me off work. The pay was not up to industry standards.
Productive and great place to work.
Environmental Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALNovember 23, 2015
Learned new skills in housekeeping and sanation in a medical setting. Had great co-workers that were lovely to work with. Most enjoyable part of the job were meeting new people and helping people.