Highline Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Love for kids
Communications Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAAugust 5, 2018
HPS is a great place to work. It is rewarding and worth every effort. The work is hard and you are continuously learning but the students make every hard day worth it.

Workplace culture is dependent on your site. I thoroughly enjoy where I work and the folks I work with.
It’s okay.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAJuly 25, 2018
If you like working with kids then this is the job for you! It’s a pretty easy and laid back job. You don’t get a lot of hours but if you want to make some easy money on the side then this would be good for you, especially if you’re a teen.
Cons
Short hours
Holidays off, 10 month year if you choose. Excellent benefits if you have qualifying bid hours.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAJune 6, 2018
Split Shifts, often committing to 12 hours a day to receive 8 hours of pay. Teamsters Union, bid routes, heavy traffic challenging route timeframes. I have provided 17 school years of service.

Patience is a virtue. Children are challenging boundaries daily.

I have not received an annual review in 3 years by current management.

High turnover, bus driver shortage, no air conditioning or access to restrooms in route.

I have had the pleasure of driving many wonderful children. I have driven my grandchildren during my route as well as taken them to 6th grade camp.
Pros
Driving my grandchildren
Cons
No air conditioning, no access to restrooms while doing route.
Challenging yet rewarding.
Full time contracted substitute (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 17, 2018
I was a contracted substitute, working every day, but paid on the teachers pay scale. On most days, I found out where I was teaching after I left home. I learned how to motivate and educate students despite not having a daily experience with them. Managing my students initially was the biggest challenge, but it became less stressful as my time in the position lengthened. Not knowing where I would be was still the hardest part of the job. I could be in a calculus class one day, and a pre-K class the next, and a class of severely handicapped the third day. You learn to adapt very quickly. That actually became something I enjoyed. I still had tough days, where a few students felt that, as a substitute, I did not have as strong a line of discipline as their regular teacher. You learn what battles to fight, and which ones to let slide.
Pros
A new group of students just about every day
Cons
A new group of students just about every day.
Pretty Good District
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, WANovember 19, 2017
Being new to teaching I do not have much to compare it to. It seems like a good district. It can sometimes be bureaucratic, but I am assuming that is typical.
The district is improving
Math and Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burien, WAAugust 31, 2017
The Highline School District is making great gains under the new superintendent. She was able to get a bond passed this year to rebuild a high school that is currently housed in a 90 year old building.
District thinks about teachers
ELA/SS Teacher (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAJune 16, 2017
From teaching and learning, Highline makes certain that teachers are taken care of. A great benefits package highlights a well-thought out plan of action for student success.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Can be long hours
Budgets dictate work
Tier 3 Technician, Team Lead/Logistical Support (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAMarch 23, 2017
Until the State of Washington gets their act together and fully fund K-12 education, school districts in general will always be in fear of running into budget deficits. It can be a roller coaster of emotions for any employee about "will I stay or could I be cut"
Pros
GREAT benifits, enough work to always keep busy. Likelyhood of the business closing is NIL
Cons
Incompetent management as with most places.
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Burien, WAFebruary 2, 2017
Very productive place around work. Very friendly work environment. Provides appropriate and very beneficial job training. A very welcoming family oriented work facility.
Pros
Vacation pay, sick pay, personal time off pay
Growing district
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burien, WADecember 13, 2016
Highline Public Schools is a growing and diverse district. It is fairly spread out and divided into areas. Class size has not remained low. Some bonds do not pass. Some buildings are old and falling apart. Some isolation is felt from school to school.
Pros
3 recesses per day in elementary school.
Cons
Schools and curriculum need to be updated.

Want to know more about Highline Public Schools?

Ask a question
Dedicated staff
Student Success Dean (Current Employee) –  Burien, WADecember 1, 2015
Learned about many struggles of English language learners. Challenging demographics. Engaged learners in spite of difficult challenges.
Organized and productive track and field season
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 28, 2015
The typical day at work was raking down the sand for the next jumper and giving the exact measurement the jumper received. Learning the basics of Long and Triple jumping. Having very sociable co-workers making work time go by faster and more enjoyable.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Outside weather
Busy, yet comfortable. Tedious, yet satisfying.
Tier II Technician (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAApril 6, 2013
From early morning to early afternoon, waves of students flood the hallways as I'm greeted by teachers happy to see that I'm checking on the technology in their classrooms. From laptops to document cameras, it's always a busy environment to ensure every device is working correctly. Two years of this passing by has taught me not only valuable information on operating systems, network troubleshooting and computer hardware and peripherals, but also how to engage your clients on a daily basis. Keeping up with mounds of emails and making sure every person is connected to each other throughout both schools is daunting, but if kept on top, it's a breeze. Establishing a trusted partnership with your co-workers is only hard if you display no effort in the work you do. In some cases, a little bit a passion in the daily efforts you squeeze out can go a long way. Even though I'm still a pawn in the scheme of things, I feel like I still have the empowerment for making my voice loud and clear in the meetings that my department conducts. After all, I help make things happen in my two schools and I'm proud of that. So any chance I get, I'm willing to get down to brass tacks to keep the educational value of our school district at it's optimum.
Pros
flexible lunches and breaks, my own offices!
Cons
no mileage reimbursement for travel between work locations
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 22, 2012
Most days started with the teacher writing the day's subject matter on the chalk board, then the students were placed in work groups at the tables. During this experience, I learned the value of lesson plans and the joy of watching student's faces when they realized the could read the book they had chosen for the library basket. The teachers and support staff were very supportive and welcoming.
Pros
good selection of materilas to work with
Cons
i experienced no cons