Highmark Health Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
temp never hired on permanent
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 17, 2018
I was a temporary employee to me management was not sympathetic to my personal issues. I wasn't properly informed when I was let go. Came into work on a Monday and was never informed that I was let go the previous Friday.
Work day
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 17, 2018
Great place to work. A great deal of opportunities.

All management is different and have very different ways of managing their workforce.

Helping customers is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Administrative Assistant to the Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 16, 2018
Highmark is an excellent place to work. I have been at Highmark for five years as an administrative assistant and I have loved every minute. Highmark has great employees.
Highmark growing company, productive, Gym provided
EOS Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 11, 2018
A typical day very busy, juggling many duties. I learned hard work often pays off. Management always depends on who you work for and your attitude. The hardest part is juggling many duties and many new duties added. The most enjoyable part is working with great people.
Productive working environment.
Sr. ETL Developer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2018
Wonderful work location to learn new things.
A very good work Ambience.
Good support from Manager.
Very good Management who supports the employees all aspects.
Everything is intentionally convoluted-you will never have a real sense of accomplishment here.
Associate Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJune 26, 2018
I wanted to like this job, but it became more and more difficult every day. Let me give you an honest look into the position.

The first thing I found odd about this company is that you have to pay for parking. They do not offer any parking to their employees, and parking in the garage across the street is very expensive. You think the pay is good at first, but once you realize that you'll be paying approximately $100 a month just to park, you realize it's not really that good. It's especially not worth the hassle of this position.

There is a 9 week training class before you are released onto the floor. The training was honestly great and I felt like I had truly learned a lot. Unfortunately, let me tell you, as someone who had a perfect average in the training, it is nowhere near enough to do the actual job accurately. Your first day on the floor, you are given a huge list of numbers with zero explanation on when to use them. Seriously, three sheets of paper, front and back with just a ton of numbers. There are so many different types of policies, it's almost impossible to tell when you should actually handle a call or transfer. And then when you do have to transfer, it's an internal number only so you have to explain to the member they have to call in and get transferred every single time just to reach the correct support area. Makes sense, right? All of these people are going to most likely give you negative survey results too, even though it is 100% out of your hands.

The calls you actually do support aren't much better. Everything is so completely convoluted and
  more... bogged down with red tape it's almost impossible to get anything done. Even just sending back simple claims for adjustment is a chore because the claims department will send things back for no reason or explanation. A lot of them seem to be outsourced and send back single sentence explanations in broken English. If you ever need help there is a department you can ask if you're on a live call, but outside of that good luck. I've had simple questions and asked my lead if they could stop by my desk, only to be told to instead send them an email that wasn't answered for 2 days.

You are expected to have first call resolution but this is oftentimes simply impossible. I've had calls where the member does not have procedure codes, so I try contacting the provider for them but cannot get through. In this situation your stats are screwed either way-you can tell the member to call back once she has the codes, or you can try calling the provider over and over, driving up your "handle time". You cannot win. I have a hunch the stats are designed the way they are so they don't have to give significant raises. I would rather be told straight up I would not be getting raises, rather than be subject to silly, arbitrary metrics.

Most days are extremely busy and there is literally 0 downtime between calls, not even a few seconds to simply collect yourself. You will handle 45+ calls a day attempting to answer the most convoluted questions. All of the scenarios you go over in training are cookie cutter, best case phone calls. You are in no way prepared for the out of the ordinary calls you will mostly be receiving, and this is from someone who passed the training with a 100% average. It is just not enough and leads are nowhere near as helpful as they're made out to be in training. You are also expected to "follow up" on any open items you have. However, you are only allotted a very small amount of time daily to do this, and if it is a busy day (every single Monday) that time is taken away completely.

With all that being said, there are some positive aspects. The pay is okay for the area, benefits are decent, you get a lot of PTO, there is a free gym. You technically don't get sick days, but you can accumulate approximately 7 occurrences before you are terminated. Your occurrences count against receiving a raise, but believe me even if you're there 365 days a year you won't meet their absurd metrics, unless you are extremely lucky and never talk to a member who is upset about something out of your control. (hint, everything is out of your control. Agents basically exist in order to placate members and prevent supervisor calls, not actually accomplish anything.)

All in all, I don't think this is a completely horrible job, but it certainly isn't good either. You are at least picking up some valuable medical billing/insurance terminology experience. Unfortunately the system itself is very frustrating and you will never have a real sense of accomplishment here. It can be a stepping stone into the medical/healthcare field but not a job I would want for very long. 45+ calls a day is mentally exhausting no matter how positive you try to be, and the almost intentionally confusing way health insurance is designed just makes it that much worse. I would leave work in a daze and spend the time at home mentally preparing myself for the next day.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, Pto, free gym, fairly large desk area with two monitors
Cons
Lack of support, demoralizing metrics, very high call volume, mentally exhausting, high turnover/constantly short staffed, no sick days, constantly changing policies you are given no time to review, paying for parking
Relaxed working environment, management nice but slow to resolve issues at times, position not stressful compared to bedside nursing
CARE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
Management is appreciative and expresses that daily. Working environment is not stressful. Sometimes have expectations that are difficult to achieve but they are approachable and will listen.

Sometimes management is very slow to address issues, but eventually they do.

Hardest part of the job is expectations that may be difficult to achieve with the software provided to perform your duties.
Pros
relaxed environment, management approachable and helpful
Cons
never had time to take lunch, but able to take breaks when needed
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJune 20, 2018
Resolved customer inquires and complaints via written, telephone and face to face communication in a timely and accurate manner. Prepared adjustments for services not properly processed either systematically or by forwarding to the appropriate area for follow up and resolution.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Lack of medical knowledge on my part
Pittsburg is hub of the wheel
Manager, clinical services (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 18, 2018
If your office isn't in Pitts, you miss out on a lot, i.e, free health screenings, onsite health clinic and onsite pharmacy - satellite offices not treated same.
Cons
no work life balance - we work weekends, holidays when no other payors do
Not a good company for those people looking for long term commitment and stability.
Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 13, 2018
Not enough employees to handle workload. Employees expected to work evenings, weekends. Employees expected to make up time upon return from vacation.

Long tenured employees are not valued. Company prefers young, inexperienced people who leave within 3-5 years.

Promotions are mainly in Pittsburgh and no other locations.

Many jobs have moved offshore. Company no longer values the communities it serves.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Promotions go to external candidates. No work/life balance.
Treated like highschool
Provider Services (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 12, 2018
If your not friends with the higher ups they give you a hard time. Not very professional and the rude behavior is brushed under the rug for those who don't agree they are afraid to speak up. Your getting bullied until they make you want to leave.
Not a place to work
Associate Decision Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJune 3, 2018
If you're looking for false hope, come here. They tell you you can advance after a certain time period but when that comes they put a freeze on your move.
Very good learning experience.
IT BUSINESS SYSTEMS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2018
Very happy to have been a part of the Highmark Blue, Blue Shield team. I learned a lot while working there. Workplace was very pleasant. Hardest part of the job was to get the right people at the right time in the testing and implementation phase in SDLC cycle.
Pros
Good training tools.
Cons
Allow more days to work from home.
Stressful production and quality standards.
Info Tech (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMay 30, 2018
I liked my work but had too many job functions with different production levels with job apps that were slow to function at times. I was able to work at home and I believe my server may have also been slower than Highmark's even though it was supposed to be high-speed. This also may have been part of the cause of production standards being almost impossible to meet.
The hardest part was keeping track of each job function, how long it took, how often and how long the systems were not available. The hardest part of the job was getting assistance when needed, or getting guidance on how to perform better.
Most enjoyable was being able to work from home.
Pros
work from home
Cons
System availability. Each job function I had required getting into different systems.
good
Customer care assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 29, 2018
its ok Not a great place to be, coordination is good,
not an exciting place not a discriminating place. overall relatives kind of new and welcoming group.
Good People to Work with
Lead Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 16, 2018
I was employed for a brief period. Too many rules to follow and yet too much ambiguity to perform on the job. Orientation and on boarding totally absent.
Pros
laid back culture
Cons
Basence of proper systems
strong company
Vice President of Operations (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 14, 2018
highly matrixed environment, company financially stable, employee development, promotes from within, great employees, very committed employees, would recommend
terrible place to work. too many dinosaurs. no talent in IT
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 11, 2018
avoid this place like the plague!! too many old fashioned duds w/o current skills. all trying to protect themselves until retirement. couldn't give a lick about the company
Pros
gym
Cons
lack of talent
Decent place to work
Direct Pay Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 11, 2018
There are good opportunities at Highmark, however, I feel people are hired for jobs based on popularity/ referrals instead of merit/skill. I like the people I work with- they are very helpful and friendly. The company seems to lack good leadership; open door policy is non-existent even though leaders claim to be available to you.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Lack of good leadership
Customer Service Rep
Associate Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 11, 2018
Sitting most of the shift answering call after call....I learned a lot about the health benefits that i use today even though im not working there anymore the hardest part of the day was not knowing when your breaks and lunch were until you clocked in
Pros
Status in the City, Pay and Benefits
Cons
Stressful enviroment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highmark Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss