Highmark Health Employee Reviews

Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 9, 2018
Once you were higher in management you were expected to work 12 hrs daily plus weekends. You were expected to have your cell phone at your bedside. It was also expected that when the phone rang you were to get in on the first ring. There was no work life balance.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Management - if you weren't in their click it was miserable
Very Competetive
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 4, 2018
Great colleagues. Good benefits including a terrific health plan. Requires most jobs to be in office and could be more flexible about working at home. Lots of meetings, slow to get things done.
Pros
Pay a lot of attention to promoting a small group of people.
Cons
Could pay more attention to typical good employee.
Horrible company
Business Analyst 3 (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAOctober 2, 2018
This company does not try to balance family life and work. It is all work all the time. They stopped caring about their employees. They would take employees that had been there over 10 years and gather them up and tell them they were no longer needed.

Very stressful company to work for.
Cons
Lack of caring for employees
Cut throat culture with little fun among employees
Application Developer Lead (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 1, 2018
My typical week at Highmark consisted of 36-38 hours per week in meetings leaving me to get work done either late from the office. Senior management consistently changed directions causing middle management and their employees to scramble to adapt. The environment felt like chaos from my perspective.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Perceived lack of direction from upper management
I should've stayed at their competitor
Senior Markets (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 29, 2018
l wished l would've stayed at my previous job.I got sold like l was buying a car.No one ever has an answer to basic questions,even though they tell you to ask questions.Everyone is miserable or highly obnoxious.l only went because l enjoyed being around my co workers.Too many clicks like high school.Alot of verbal confontations amongst adults which is absolutely repulsive.They brag about what they do for the community,but lack that same support for their employees.Lack of communication is a big issue.Low morale and lots of corner cutting.Lord,don't ever have medical issues.They don't care.Training,long winded speakers come in and blah about the company.They always throw mud at their rival so much l think l am at a school yard fight.They show you their appreciation with a dry cookie.They do not accommodate physical disabilities so don't bother.It was the most regrettable decision l ever made.
Pros
My co workers and the view of PNC park.
Cons
Commute, parking, does not value employees, micro managing.
Awful
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 26, 2018
The company is garbage. They cater to a yuppie melenial crowd and bullet and push out older employees because we become too costly. Management is horrible there. They do not know but from a hole in the ground. Employees are cutthroat. They will do anything to screw you.
Pros
Cons
You name it
October 3, 2018

We appreciate your review. Know that we remain committed to encourage a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees and will be sure to share this feedback internally.

Professional Micromanagers
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  WVSeptember 25, 2018
You will be micromanaged and criticized to the point of insanity. Every move you make is constantly monitored. You cant even go to the bathroom. Even when you are performing better than most in your department they will look for things to say you are doing wrong
Pros
Good Health insurance
Cons
everything else
October 3, 2018

We appreciate your review and take it seriously. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR about your concerns.

Care coordinator
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoy my job. Upper management is sociable. It takes a year to apply for another position. Unless your manager wants you in another position. Its a position that requires organization. Cant complain. They will negotiate your pay.
Benefits
Cons
Takes awhile to get another position.
October 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! We understand the importance of opportunities to advance your career and the important role managers play in the employee experience. If you haven't already, we encourage you to discuss your career goals with your manager or to speak with a human resources representative.

customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WV 25305September 17, 2018
My date to date was to come in clock in at 8:15 and be ready to work at 9:00, I was to take calls for 8 hours from members, providers and facilities so the member could have either a procedure or any out patient testing that they need, I would do authorizations also for skilled nursing, home health, or any other procedure that the insurance requested for a test to be done or any out patient, I would enter there info in two 3 different programs and note the case with my notes and enter any corrections that needed to be done for the member which would include address, phone number or change in there coverage. I myself would take between 90-120 calls per day.
Pros
heath insurance
Cons
pay
AGH company issues
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2018
Too many hostile and nasty mean upper management and neoptism! Better management is needed all through this company, especially within the hospital on the Northside! Start treating your hard working employees fairly with more dignity and respect! Promote people within and stop having upper management block your transfers and black ball you! For a total of 20 transfers to be blocked is very appauling when you are an excellent employee! If you have a bullying policy inplace, upper management should have to adhere to the policy as well!
Pros
Cons
Healthcare
October 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to encourage a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees. Your concerns about management are taken seriously. We encourage you to reach out to your Human Resources Representative.

Don't do it!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 9, 2018
Most depressing place to work ever! Training is inadequate. They promise to pair you with an employee who has been there a while before you actually start on the phones. That was a lie. New employees help each other instead of being paired with an experienced employee. Most of management treats employees as if they're stupid.
October 3, 2018

We want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We want to express our gratitude for the service contributed and wish all continued success with future endeavors.

Good Benefits and a desire to change culture
IT Architect (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PASeptember 9, 2018
Culture is in transition. In many ways, they are stuck in the past but are trying to move forward. Employees are overworked as they are assign to many projects (more than 5 and up to 12). Change is slow and tedious.
Pros
Benefits are good. Allow you to work from home when needed. Offers training
Cons
Employees are overworked as they are assign to many projects (more than 5 and up to 12), Change is slow and tedious
September 12, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. You're right that we're in a culture transition, as we're working hard to improve communication and teamwork within the Highmark Health family. We encourage you to discuss your workload with your manager and/or your Human Resource representative.

Toxic environment
Utilization Manager/ clinical coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 8, 2018
Toxic work environment. Embedded racism at Wilmington DE location. Supervisor uneducated. Unable to manage talented licensed professionals hired for their expertise. Toxic. Constant Bullying. Ignorant 10 hour workdays makes you sick. Under appreciated. Dead End job. No room for advancement.
Pros
Talented professionals in Utilization Management.
Cons
Supervisor unable to manage talented professionals No room for advancement
October 3, 2018

We believe in building an inclusive culture. We know it is critical to advancing business, satisfying customers, retaining talent and driving innovation. To that end, we take your feedback seriously and will escalate this to the proper Leaders.

ASSOCIATE CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAAugust 30, 2018
Assisting members with calls throughout the day. I learned how to effectively communicate over the phone, and anticipating what the members are calling for. Effectively working with supervisors, adjusting to the work environment. Learning, new personalities. Most enjoyable part is assisting he members with their needs.
September 12, 2018

We are thrilled to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad you're enjoying your position as an Associate Customer Service Representative!

Good company going through transition
Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 29, 2018
Plenty of opportunities to influence and improve things. There is a lot of legacy baggage that needs to be cleaned up, but they are doing the right thing for the community and generally for the employees. Like any other large organization, there are pockets that are highly effective and others that are not as much.
September 12, 2018

Thank you so much for your review. We are definitely in a period of transition as we push to improve communications and teamwork.

Great team members, upper management fails in setting a clear direction which fosters distrust
Team Manager - IT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 29, 2018
Everything was "immediate", a concept fostered by upper mgmt, even when it wasn't. This caused more issues with the final product. This was proven and provided many times to mgmt but no changes were made.
Pros
Wfh, great/knowledgeable team members
Cons
upper mgmt
September 12, 2018

We appreciate your insights and will be sure to share your feedback with our IT department.

Enrollment & Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, paAugust 28, 2018
Flex schedule, great training. The Enrollment department was a great place to work. The clients you work with are great. Also great benefits for employees.
Pros
Training
Cons
Downsize
September 12, 2018

Thank you for your review! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed a flexible schedule, benefits and training!

Good benefits
LEARNING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2018
Highmark Health offers good benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401k, tuition reimbursement and more. The people I worked with were friendly and intelligent.

Working at Highmark is dependent upon your direct area and manager. Some managers are very good to work for and provide a positive work/life balance while other areas are cut throat, fast paced and provide little to no work/life balance. Work from home opportunities are few and far between.
Pros
benefits, Pto, employee discounts, fitness centers
Cons
stressful environment at times, no consistent training for roles other than customer service, no direct career path, undertrained management.
Highmark, Community Affairs Director
Executive Director, Community Programs and Events (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PaAugust 23, 2018
• Provided leadership for continuous program growth and enhancement, which included the development of productive partnerships with local, regional, state, and national health care communities.
• Established internal and external relationships at all levels of the organization resulting in long term program development and growth.
• Managed a budget of $6,000,000 and a staff of 5 in 49 counties.
• Improved employee morale, clarified job roles and responsibilities while accomplishing the social mission of the corporation.
• Managed and implemented projects and events:
• Highmark Walk For A Healthy Community , over 100,000 participants; raised in excess of $7,000,000 to support community organizations
• Highmark Fun, Fit, Fabulous Women's Health Conference , over 10,000 participants
• Highmark Partners For A Healthy Community, served hundreds of at risk families through free health, vision and dental services and screenings
Community Health Specialist
Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield 2001 to 2005
• Provided project management (planning, coordination and implementation) for community programs and events that promoted health and disease prevention strategies for uninsured and underinsured populations.
• Promoted company image and communications through networking with community and business leaders, hospitals, and federally qualified health centers to develop opportunities for access to care for at-risk communities.
• Expanded and strengthened corporate wide volunteer opportunities through strategic programs throughout the community.
A typical day is arriving at 7:00
  more... a.m. and reviewing past projects plans and review of past weeks responsibilities for self and staff.
Usually between 8:00 and 9:00 preparing for any morning meetings which could include my staff, other department meetings, regional meetings and/or meetings with any departments with which we have working relationships . These can include up to 20 to 30 departments within the organization. also on a daily basis. We are constantly meeting with outside community groups, individuals, non profit organizations, corporations, political figures, churches, funders, etc. we are responsible for activities in 49 counties in PA. and have staff in Pittsburgh and Harrisburg which keeps us traveling often throughout the state of PA. The culture is good because our staff of six works as a tightly knit group and is the personification of the word TEAM. As a team we have been exceptionally successful internally and externally ( community ), providing services for the underserved, uninsured, underinsured,
non profit organizations, churches, health centers, etc...........
Pros
pay, bonuses, benefits
Cons
not enough trust of some employees and too much jealously
Typical Day
Pharmacy Analyst - Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 19, 2018
Usually busy from the time you come in until the time you go home which is a positive in my opinion because the day goes by very quickly and you are constantly getting something accomplished.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highmark Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight