Highmark Health Employee Reviews

Great compensation and benefits in Pittsburgh.
COMPLEX CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Work from home- PADecember 3, 2018
Working at Highmark provides great opportunity. In nursing, you have much flexibility in your schedule, and in my position can work from home. The culture is very diverse and inclusive. Management varies depending on the manager. It is very collaborative. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with patients and helping them to achieve their health goals. The most difficult is having to meet the numerical standards and the call load.
Pros
financial benefits and work from home
Cons
call demands
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 3, 2018
My typical day at work consisted of answering customer questions about benefits and claims processed. I would sometimes reach out to the provider to find out codes to make sure I was quoting the propoer benefits. I would send claims back to reprocess and notify the provider that the claims were being reprocessed.
Pros
great pay and great benefits
Cons
being on the phone all day long
A company that is always evolving
Routing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA, USDecember 2, 2018
It is a great company to start a career and try to advance. However It needs more work on balancing life and work. The managers and coworkers do their best throughout the day, but "mandatory overtime," to meet compliance needs creates a lot of stress in the workplace.
Pros
Overtime, benefits, plenty of hours
Cons
"mandatory" overtime, no work life balance
Early Contract Termination
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PADecember 1, 2018
I accepted a 6-month contract to complete Software Development projects. My team performed much better than management had anticipated. After 3 months we were closing in on the 6 month goal, and, the fiscal year closing soon, the team was downsized and 5 members were laid off.
Don't do it
Outreach Representative (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 29, 2018
To start with get everything in writing! You can't trust verbal communication and keep records! You can be hired for one position and then they tell you that's not so. If you're not friends with the higher ups it's a waste of time to voice your concerns because they ignore and demean you! It is hard to know who to trust within the organization even when it comes to Corporate. They verbally encourage you to read the policies for yourself on meetings but when you do and don't agree with them making up policies as they go along they speak to you as if you're dumb and try to bully you. If you're not friends with the right people, the right shade or management then you can't possibly be smart. When you don't let it go you can expect retaliation.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
Productive place to work
Medical Policy Clinician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 27, 2018
I really enjoy working at Highmark Health. Core values are an important aspect of every day work life. There is room for growth and I feel as though my work and input is appreciated.
Cut Throat, Political and Discriminatory
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 19, 2018
Highmark is the worst company to work for in Pittsburgh! They provide zero training and zero direction. Don't be fooled by so many women being in leadership positions, it's still an "Old Boys Club". You can receive a great review and then three months later be told you aren't doing your job!? When they go through reorganizations, they just start looking for anyone to cut. Their work-from-home policy is misleading. They say that they permit it but then you get critized for doing it - there are different rules for different people. Managers frequently take employees behind closed doors and harass them where the employee can provide no proof to HR - for example management stated to a new mother who had to leave at a specific time each day to care for her child, "you always act like you have somewhere more important to be." Heartless, souless company!
Pros
Good salary, inexpensive benefits
Cons
Political, Constant Harassment
Good so far
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 19, 2018
There are opportunities for growth. The company has a lot of seasoned people so lots of tapping into their knowledge base. The company is focused on changing for the better and growth of its employees
EDI Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PANovember 13, 2018
Good company with nice benefits. Was able to work from home on permanent basis. Manager was supportive and kept me involved. Particular tasks a bit monotonous, Provided ITIL Foundation certification class,
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Particular tasks a bit monotonous
Horrible
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 13, 2018
This company is very cut throat and there is little to no training. The people put in a position to help you are consistently mailing you about your errors that effect you wage at the end of the year. We are given errors for things no one ever trained us on. Managers make up policy’s to enforce and went asked to view the policy nothing is provided. Hostile work environment does not come close to this company. Human Resources is on department you should be able to trust but you can’t,most time they never respond to your messages.
Pros
Great pay and work from hom opportunity
well balanced
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PANovember 9, 2018
some departments will allow flex schedules, benefits are reasonable, big on united way, the hardest part is if you work in Customer Service a lot of employee do not make it through training class. Production is very hard to meet.
November 21, 2018

We really appreciate you taking the time to submit such a detailed and thoughtful review. We will be sure to share your feedback internally about production and training classes.

great job
Care Connect elite (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 9, 2018
Promptly answers multiple line telephone system; processes complex confidential medical service requests with strict adherence to policies and procedures.
Proactively participates in special projects and campaigns in collaboration with leadership
Utilizes independent judgment and protocol to refer a patient to a physician or specialist
Maintains department productivity levels for customer satisfaction.
November 21, 2018

We are thrilled to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad you're enjoying your position!

I worked from home so there was very little physical interaction with my peers
FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PANovember 8, 2018
Flexibility to work from home was ideal for me . Workload was manageable. Potential advancement is based on department. Most employee contact was enjoyable.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No advancement within department
November 21, 2018

A solid health insurance company.
Lead Facilities Consultant (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PANovember 7, 2018
Highmark is doing great to posture themselves in the part of the marketplace to attract both families and companies to contract their services. Highmark remains competitive and appealing to a broad market.
Pros
A leader in the world of health insurance.
Cons
Removed free fitness programs for employees.
November 21, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate your feedback.

Very few departments have good working environment
Business Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 7, 2018
Very few departments have a good working environment. Some areas do not take care of the employees. In many areas the work life balance has been non existent and employees are required to put in many hours of extra time in the evenings and weekends without any added compensation. The feed back of employees are not taken into consideration. There are a handful of departments that have good working environments with capable and efficient management.
November 21, 2018

We appreciate your review and take it seriously. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR about your concerns so that we can partner with you on a solution.

Understand the Difference between Highmark Inc and Highmark Health Options.
Fraud Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 6, 2018
Highmark Inc is the primary company ( Great Company!). Highmark Health Options is a subsidiary of Highmark Inc. (Good Company!). BIG TIME DIFFERENCE!!!!.

Highmark Health owns the contracts, but subs out to Gateway Health Plan. Gateway Health Plan is ship without a rudder or sail. The management team at Gateway Health Plan is constantly struggling to keep Highmark Inc, and Highmark Health Option properly informed. Their claims system has not proper performed since 12.31.17, which has made this job impossible to do with any success. The Gateway corporate culture in tends to be in a vacuum of the unknown. Highmark Health Options leadership is strong, but is constantly being mis-lead by Gateway Health Plan management as to day to day accountability.

The C-Suite executives at Gateway (i.e. CEO, COO, CFO, etc..) have all been walked out the door. In the last two months.

Leadership within the PI/FWA/SIU department is varied in experience. The Sr. Director is a solid person, and one of the best in the industry! Sr. Director is Honest, Loyal, and dedicated. I really enjoyed working for him, the overall company not so much.

Gateway HR department is substandard and never vets issues in detail. HR is remote and does not know the people, culture over all. From the day I was onboard till now, Gateway Health Plan is the worst I've seen.

Overall: If Highmark Health distances itself from Gateway Health Plan, I believe it will improve the overall morale and performance of the company. Unfortunately, Highmark Inc. and Highmark Health Options good name is being hit hard by
  more... it association with Gateway Health Plan.  less
Pros
Great place to start Healthcare FWA/PI/SIU career.
Cons
Gateway Health Plan runs Highmark Health Options day to day....
November 21, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review with your insights on Gateway Health. We will be sure to share your feedback internally.

Nice place to work
Computer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAOctober 30, 2018
It was pleasure to work for Highmark. Good working condition, free parking, nice cafeteria.
Coworkers were nice, meetings were short (agile methodology!).
Pros
Free parking, flexible hours.
Cons
Managers have limitted techical knowledge
November 5, 2018

Thank you so much for your recommendation of Highmark Health! We'll be sure to share you insights on your experience.

Horrible
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVOctober 30, 2018
Bad company, bad attitudes, horrible customer service. Do not treat employees with respect. You are treated as a child. Your complaints go unseen and unheard
November 5, 2018

We appreciate your review. Know that we remain committed to encouraging a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees and will be sure to share this feedback internally.

fair working evironment
various positions (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 20, 2018
I loved my co-workers and the supportive environment from the management staff that was provided. The inclusion of our diversity was phenomenal. The knowledge that I was able to raise my family with the security that was afforded me through my superiors appreciation of my work ethic was the best experience.
November 2, 2018

Thank you so much for your recommendation of Highmark Health! We'll be sure to share you insights on your co-workers, diversity and management.

Leading Managed Care Company offering competitive insurance products, and network of area hospitals.
RN, Associate Managed Care Analyst, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2018
This company provides adequate in-house training for both medical and non-medical positions. Mentors are available if needed. Working in the Utilization Review department provided good opportunity for medical decision making on cases. Management is supportive with an "open-door" policy. Good opportunities for remote/work from home positions. Competitive pay per industry standards.
Pros
Well established, progressive managed care insurance company.
Cons
Medicare daily case compliance can lead to frequent unpaid overtime for salaried staff.
October 24, 2018

Thank you so much for your recommendation of Highmark Health. We'll be sure to share your insights on trainings, compensation, and management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highmark Health. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss