Highmark Health Employee Reviews

Training is tough but fair
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 16, 2019
It was a pleasure working there. The security guards were nice, trainer was great. My supervisor was wonderful. I left under good standing due to personal reasons. I reapplied and hoping to return! Have nothing but pleasant experiences to tell.
Pros
Pay & benefits
February 19, 2019

We are thrilled to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad you're enjoyed your experience as a Customer Service Associate and would love to see you join us again!

Interning
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 13, 2019
The management and Human Resources department did nothing to help with issues. If approached with a question, they just gave you a generic answer which didn't help at all. They don't care about treating interns kindly.
February 19, 2019

We appreciate your review. Know that management remains committed to encouraging a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees and will be sure to share this feedback internally.

Lead Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAFebruary 7, 2019
Management was after their own power trip and was trying to find a reason to get rid of any employee they could. They worked to micro manage anyone they could.

currently retired
Assoc. IT Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAFebruary 6, 2019
Enjoyed working at Highmark for 18 years along with the staff and management. Worked in the Desktop Services Department, which is very busy and fast paced. Retired in 2016.
February 11, 2019

We are extremely honored to receive a five-star rating from an employee that has spent 18 years as part of the Highmark Health family! Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Hardest Part of the job
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVOCATE (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 5, 2019
The hardest part of the job was to be in a department where we had to handle performance guarantee groups ans also take calls from other departments as well as dealing with peoples personal lives with their claims that could be a huge burden to the member
February 11, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate your feedback.

Great benefits
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVFebruary 4, 2019
This employer has many great benefits to offer, including PTO and health insurance. Getting to work directly with our members is a great way to increase customer service skills.
February 11, 2019

Thank you for your review! We are so glad to hear you're enjoying the benefits, and your work environment with your co-workers!

Overworked
IT Technical Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 31, 2019
This company has high demands on their employees which makes it very difficult to have a home/work life balance. Upper management have very unreasonable expectations of their employees. The pay and benefits are good, but be prepared to be over worked.
February 5, 2019

Worst Company Ever Worked for
SENIOR INVESTMENT ACCOUNTING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2019
This company was horrible to work for at the time.
No worklife balance, unfair advancement opportunities, payscale is ok but could be better.
There is not a lot of good to say about this experience other than what type of employer NOT to work for.
Pros
A job
Cons
Unfair advancement
February 5, 2019

We appreciate your review. Know that we remain committed to encouraging a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees and will be sure to share this feedback internally.

Great Benefits but Senior Management is not helpful.
Senior Q (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 18, 2019
You come to work and get busy with your assignment.
The Co-Workers are very helpful and they have this atmosphere of mentoring new hires. The Health benefits are great.
Benefits
Cons
No Job Security
January 25, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review. We will be sure to share you feedback internally.

productive and fast paced with a gym
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 15, 2019
cool place to work, good $, great benefits and awesome incentive, potential for advancement and to work from home after 1 year.....i do not know the daily grind
Pros
45 minute lunch, paid holidays and vacation
Cons
no empathy, terminate like they have no concern for others lifes
January 25, 2019

We appreciate your review. Know that we remain committed to encourage a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees and will be sure to share this feedback internally.

Working for Highmark
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PA 17089January 9, 2019
Overall I loved working for Highmark. Working there gave me 90 percent of my current skill set that I currently have. I was trained to do every position that I held while working at Highmark. I enjoyed every position that I held while working there.
Pros
Training
Cons
Time that I had to work in a week. 50 - 60 hours a week
January 25, 2019

Thank you so much for your recommendation of Highmark Health. We really appreciate you taking the time to submit such a detailed and thoughtful review.

Negative place to work
Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 8, 2019
I started this year in June as a temp to perm. I liked the job but when i got on the floor i had a team lead who was sarcastic and ignorant as heck who i had to go to for questions. Not only that but she picked her favorites who to help more then others. She walked around stating how she hated the company openly and wanted to be fired around boss's and other sups. Then one day they moved her away from us because of this. As far as our job is concerned our first QA is usually good until they QA calls and the will give you a 0 for the whole call based if one thing you've done wrong which was unfair. You had QA and sups monitoring you and if you were not in a click they find anyway to fail you. I had several good QA and one that was not good. Was told to bring it up next thing you know im fired. This is also after they hired 3more classes after me. Never gave me a chance to raise score which was unfairly computed anyway. Very two faced company. Cant trust know one in the Pittsburgh office especially doing Provider Dept. They smile at you then get rid of you.Lastly you had certain lunch breaks. If you go over or under your out of adherance which is another issue of set up to fail. What are you suppose to do hang uo on a call??
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else

January 25, 2019

Great company that cares about customers, employees and business partners
Senior Vice President (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 30, 2018
Highmark Health is a fast moving company that is working hard to transform healthcare. There is a lot going on within the company, providing tons of opportunity for leadership. Everyone from CEO down is focused on doing what is right for the customer. If you want a chance to provide a voice in the transformation of healthcare in the US, Highmark is a great company.
Pros
Leadership opportunities, transformational, fast-paced.
January 14, 2019

It makes our day to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad that you enjoy our leadership and opportunities!

Great Place to work.
Senior Call Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 27, 2018
Good Place to work overall. Great benefits and some positions offer work at home and flexible. Also gives employees the opportunity to advance to other positions.
Pros
Some positions have work at home
Cons
Not as much advancement for remote offices as there is for corp location
January 14, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review. We will be sure to share you feedback about career advancement internally.

Great place if youre all about image not substance
Administrative (Former Employee) –  PADecember 18, 2018
Generally, Highmark is ok as far as compensation and benefits. There are definitely more companies out there with better compensation and benefits. Overall, the theme of this organization is terminate, hire, terminate, hire etc. Additionally, Highmark is generally so focused on image and looking trendy that their decisions often lack substance.

Management is a huge problem here. A lot of favoritism being played. People who slack off but are too social will get picked for promotions and projects over people who do not steal from the company by socializing all day. Those who work hard and thorough tend to get overshadowed by those who appear productive by their socializing. There is a difference between being social and polite yet still productive and then being too social to a point to appear productive. Appearance versus substance.. most companies value image while requiring substance and quality... not Highmark. Suck up to management and be overly social while your coworkers pick up your slack.. that's how you get promoted here. Management does not care, neither does HR, when you report issues. No one cares. Favoritism and nepotism win over everything else.

They are very big about talking up the future.. yet when it comes down to it, all that talk is just talk. Big opportunities and career growth does not happen. I've heard this for several years now personally, and they're all talk. If you want real opportunities and to be valued for your hard work and expertise, look elsewhere. There are many other companies who will want you.
Pros
Decent benefits, flexible time
Cons
Management, lack of career growth, favoritism, questionable ethics
January 14, 2019

We appreciate your review. Know that we remain committed to encourage a fulfilling and meaningful career for our employees and will be sure to share this feedback about management internally.

okay
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 17, 2018
This company is good to work for if you are willing to be a robot and just take call after call without catching a breath in between. The coworkers are great. The location is not, you have to pay crazy amount of money for the parking garage.
January 14, 2019

We appreciate your review and take it seriously. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR about your concerns.

do not work here
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PADecember 17, 2018
This used to be a great company to work for. Highmark has no respect for their employees. Unless you enjoy working on your days off you have to schedule vacations out of the country to not take a laptop with you.
Cons
no work life balance

contact employee
Celerity Consultant (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PADecember 4, 2018
as a contract employee depending on what unit you are in will depend how you are treated. my expereince was good in all positions i held at highmark. the only disadvantage was that we would get knee deep into a project and then they would cut the budget and let the contractors go.
January 14, 2019

We appreciate your review. Know that we remain committed to encourage a fulfilling and meaningful career for all employees, including contract employees, and will be sure to share this feedback internally.

Great compensation and benefits in Pittsburgh.
COMPLEX CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Work from home- PADecember 3, 2018
Working at Highmark provides great opportunity. In nursing, you have much flexibility in your schedule, and in my position can work from home. The culture is very diverse and inclusive. Management varies depending on the manager. It is very collaborative. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with patients and helping them to achieve their health goals. The most difficult is having to meet the numerical standards and the call load.
Pros
financial benefits and work from home
Cons
call demands
January 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate your feedback!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 3, 2018
My typical day at work consisted of answering customer questions about benefits and claims processed. I would sometimes reach out to the provider to find out codes to make sure I was quoting the propoer benefits. I would send claims back to reprocess and notify the provider that the claims were being reprocessed.
Pros
great pay and great benefits
Cons
being on the phone all day long
January 14, 2019

We are thrilled to receive your five-star recommendation of Highmark Health! We are so glad you enjoyed your position as a Customer Service Representative!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highmark Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight