Highmark Health Employee Reviews

2.8
Ratings breakdown
strong company
Vice President of Operations (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 14, 2018
highly matrixed environment, company financially stable, employee development, promotes from within, great employees, very committed employees, would recommend
terrible place to work. too many dinosaurs. no talent in IT
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 11, 2018
avoid this place like the plague!! too many old fashioned duds w/o current skills. all trying to protect themselves until retirement. couldn't give a lick about the company
Pros
gym
Cons
lack of talent
Stay away if you value your sanity
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 24, 2018
Don't work here unless you like to be micromanaged to the point that you cannot even use the restroom unless it's your scheduled break. You'll get nothing but the standard 2% raise no matter how hard you work but the company will send you daily emails about how much money they're making. Unless you're a snake and tattle to your supervisor, you will never advance. It's worse than high school when it comes to clicks and drama. There is no support and you are expected to be perfect at your job.
Daily Life...blah...
Senior Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 8, 2018
Your basically stuck in a cube all day, popping your head up like a gopher looking around at nothing but other cubes, taking calls and helping members wasn't bad, but you only saw your supervisor probably once a week, or if you did something bad, or had a bad call. I liked working there but managers knew how to be managers, and knew very little about the job.
Pros
45 min lunch, pay
Cons
management
Great benefits
Director, Compliance (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMarch 26, 2018
Time off policy better than most; communication was an important part of the job. Lots of opportunity, if you are willing to self promote. Matrix type reporting structure.
Healthcare is complicated and you never have all the answers.
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMarch 24, 2018
It is an ever changing field to work in. It can be demanding and complicated. The pay is ok. You have no sick time, so if you call off 7 times in a rolling 12 month period, you will be terminated.
Pros
Pay is fair, Decent health benefits, Gym and Doctor office on site with pharmacy in building.
Cons
limited room for growth, could have better health benefits
No work/life balance
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2018
There is no balance between personal life and work requirements. Great pay and lot of PTO compared to other healthcare providers. However, management requires employees to work 10-12 hours a day plus weekend and holidays.
Pros
Pay and time off
Cons
Many long work days
Treated like children horrible computer system
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMarch 7, 2018
If you want to work where your treated like a child this is the place for you. You can't even use the bathroom without them questioning you. They force you to use a computer system that doesn't work most times. You can't get days off and if you call off they give you occurrences like your in 5th grade. They keep adding things to do on calls to make them harder and never ask service for their input. Management needs to do the jobs they have no idea but they keep making it harder. Raises are a joke 2 percent while upper management t gets bonuses off the millions they make every year. Then they have people in India watching your every move and if you aren't on a call right away they are questioning what your doing telling you to hurry up. This from people who have never done the job. . Horrible horrible company
Pros
Time off when you can use it
I'm comfortable
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 24, 2018
The training period is 8-10 weeks in a classroom setting. On a typical day, we are on the phones all day. You have two computers as a Customer Service Representative. Management expects a lot, but you should expect a lot from yourself as well, as you are providing service to people in regards to their health. Rewarding position if you think about how many people you help every day to navigate through the very dynamic--and often confusing--world of health insurance.
Pros
Compensation if fairly good for this type of position, Lots of overtime available but you are rarely ever forced to work OT.
Cons
Your schedule needs to be following down to the seconds.
Alright
Associate Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 23, 2018
Working at Highmark has been a decent experience. The on boarding process is terrible however. I was basically thrown to the wolves when it came to learning the job. I had to make mistakes and hear it from my boss before I got a handle on the job.
no summary provided at this time
SR Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 8, 2018
At this time, my decision is to decline the option of leaving a review on Highmark Health. This is not to be taken as a negative toward Highmark Health, just my option to continue to keep opinions to myself.
Worst Job I’ve Ever Had In My Life!
Associate Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 3, 2018
You would think working for a health insurance company, they’d value their employees more. If you have kids or get sick, forget about it. You’ll be out the door. Don’t waste your time!
Pros
Starting pay
Cons
Everything else
Environment has turned toxic
BUSINESS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 31, 2018
Environment has become increasingly more toxic as they slash roles due to budgets. Loosing a lot of institutional memory, morale is at an all time low and it's challenging to work with people who are constantly afraid they will be next
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
poor morale
Stressful
Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 25, 2018
There was no work/life balance, Often would be required to work holidays, weekends, even on days that were scheduled off. Was often told that you should expect to work 24/7 and if you can't put the customer first then you should leave,
I worked with some good people who would work 15 - 17 hour days, who were committed to help others. These people were not awarded for their service. Employees were often not allowed to bid out on jobs because their management would not approve it. Very sad. I left because I could no longer work in this time of atmosphere, Very toxic.
Benefits
Cons
No work/life balance.
Need New Management
Associate Oscar Benefit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 25, 2018
Didn't have any work to do for three months don't complain or they will let you go. People I worked with had smelly shoes and told the manager but then a week later I was left go.
Pros
Non
Cons
Not enough work to keep busy
Daily requirements
Senior Market Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2018
Typical day started with concluding previous days work. Able to assist with projects given from management. Hardest part of job is quickness of phone calls that are recorded to quality assurance.
Pros
Great benefit packages
Cons
Poor management
Ok place to work for new people
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 19, 2018
Once you have so many years they will find a way to terminate you before you can retire. Otherwise good place to start your career at, just leave to further yourself.
Pros
Flex schedule
Highmark is a great place
Senior Business Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 14, 2018
Highmark is a great place to work. Good people and the company over all is great to work for. My concern was security because at the time there was constant cuts going on.
Bigger isn't always better
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 8, 2018
Started in January of 2008 when it was Blue Cross Blue Shield of DE, thought it would be a company I'd eventually retire from. The Highmark "merger" was hyped for months by management as something that was going to be a great thing & very beneficial to growing the BC/BS brand. It was far from it. Once Highmark took over, things quickly changed to being micromanged for your entire workday. For example, If you checked out one minute past your scheduled end of day time, you'd receive an email from your supervisor reminding you to leave on time.

They rarely do on-site training if you're not in the Camp Hill, PA office. It's done remotely over the phone. I was moved around from one line of business to another, to another, then back again, but still expected to maintain the same productivity standards. I mentioned this fact to my supervisor & the business analyst who was assigned to answer my questions on several occasions

Other than being fired in April 2017 & not leaving on my own terms, I don't regret no longer working for Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Delaware one bit.
Going downhill quickly
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2018
Such high turnover. Unnecessary stress from management. Employees are just numbers but management is untouchable. Could go on and go. just stay away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highmark Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight