Highway Transport Chemical Employee Reviews

My dispatcher sucked and so did the equipment.
driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh paApril 21, 2018
I was out of the Pittsburgh terminal but my dispatcher was in Michigan which I thought was strange. Also had so many problems with my truck. Broke down on me a few times. Also not a real terminal in Pittsburgh you park at the qualawash. It's a joke.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, bad equipment, very frustrating.
great place to work!
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 8, 2018
This is the best place to work. I intend to retire here. Management is very fair and easy going. Highway always tries to promote from within. Highway Transport is growing and I plan to grow with them.
Pros
Great managment
Cons
No Christmas Bonus
Got a little tanker experience
Class A CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYFebruary 4, 2018
Usually out and back trips, most of them will have you home at some point during the day. They offer longer over night trips, some of which are not in the best areas to go....i.e., Baltimore, MD.
Decent company to work for, gain some tanker experience, and if you do not require a lot of home time, you can do well here.
Pros
Experience, decent pay
Cons
Handling chemicals
Goid company.
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 25, 2017
Management was for the most part fair to all drivers. Safety is Number 1. Maintenance could use a little tweaking. Very understanding about needing home time.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
No dedicated runs.
OK company to work for
CDL chemical tanker driver and Drive trainer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN 37909September 29, 2017
Driving for Highway was ok great hours Guarantee pay and a friendly work atmosphere. clean up to date equipment. No real problems other then annoying terminal manager, who is no longer there
Pros
n/a
Great place to work, strong management team.
BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 2, 2017
The management culture was very relaxed and easy to deal with, I delegated assignments fairly and with respect to employees and instilled in them that they were the most important part of our company.
Pros
Employee lunch onece a month and I enjoyed working with the driver force.
Cons
There were no cons, every day was a good day to be at work.
Stay far far far away from this company
Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Croydon, PAJuly 15, 2017
This company absolutely sucks. After they took away the guarantee and personal days it was down hill. They expect you to do more work for less money. It use to be a time where the local regional drivers were local regional...now they have made the local regional drivers more like system drivers.
Pros
Cons
The company they are the cons
It was great till they took away the guarantee.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 15, 2017
Since they got rid of the guarantee they play favorite's. If your a road driver you pull alot of load's out of Knoxville that are 400- 600 miles. The favorite's get better load's. You go to Texas and you see regional driver's getting load's to California,Arizona and your getting a load to Georgia,Tennessee,or the Carolina's. Then you go back to Knoxville and layover. When a regional driver take's a load going east they load them right back. This weekend there was a load to Oregon and a Knoxville regional driver went to Oregon.
Pros
They take care of the equipment.
Cons
To much favoritism. Insurance you have to meet deductible before you have co-pay.
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 3, 2017
Treated with kindness and everyone in management encourages that. In my interview my supervisor mentioned how important it was to have the highest regard for drivers. Drivers are what makes this company possible! I have met the owners also and they are very kind, caring and giving people. I love it here and plan to spend the rest of my life working here if I can!
Pros
Appreciated for your work, flexible work schedule, great co-workers
very dishonest , no self responsibility taken by the company
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 30, 2017
no matter what the company find a way to pass the blame on drivers, a lot of policy that only drives drivers nutz, the more upper management changes and makes mistakes they roll it down hill. they lie to your face, deny to your face, defend there lies to the end , local plant mgr and dispatcher great but also protect company till the last breath. never the proper amount of material or tools to do any job to proper safety. good drivers beware you will quickly find yourself on the negative end your good record
Pros
good drivers in most plants
Cons
bad company to base your life on, no home life to work with
Amazing Place Before They Lowered Guarenteed Salary
Regional Tanker Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Croydon, PAMay 4, 2017
This company was definitely one of the best companies I've ever worked for. From 2015 to 2016, the management, dispatcher, and atmosphere were very pleasant. Everything changed when they suddenly and unexpectedly lowered the guaranteed pay and took all of our sick days. The replaced the management with a clown that resembles the clown from IT (Pennywise). If this did not occur, I would have stayed and eventually retired from this company in forty years. Regardless, this company was great before they changed the salary.
Pros
Atmosphere, Work Environment, Coworkers
Cons
Paycut, Sickdays, Management/Pennywise
this is a great company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 27, 2017
I started with Highway Transport 25 plus years ago sweeping floors
and mowing grass for them I have since been promoted several times over the years an have done numerous jobs with this company
your not just a employee you are rewarded for your hard work they
do promote within the company when the see potential an hard work
the management there is great always willing to teach an support you.
Highway Transport is a great company to work for it's my 2nd family
is the best way to describe it I still get exited every morning to go to work.
Pros
great support from management
they lie right to your face,while stabbing you in the back.
Tank Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 26, 2017
this place is a joke,they preach safety but want you to break all the rules to benefit them and when their done with you they give you the shaft. do not make a mistake,you will regret.
Pros
Cons
12 plus years wasted
Guarantee pay
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 24, 2017
Good pay on orientation. Good motel. Feed you well during orientation. Very informative. I'm a system driver and have been doing well with my miles. Good people to work with. They will do everything they can to get you home when you need to be. The Guarantee pay is good but most of the time you will make more than the guarantee. Usually 1-2 yrs old if not new equipment for system drivers.
Pros
Good people, good equipment.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 13, 2017
Highway Transport Logistics is a great place to work. They have flexible work schedules and work that offers just the right amount of challenges. They like to promote from within when possible. Employees tend to stay with the company for long periods of time.
Pros
work/life balance, salary, culture
Poor management, horrible pay for the work asked for. Unreliable equipment.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Laporte txMarch 11, 2017
Don't waste your time, this is not a company for a job future. Poor mgm and PR is a total joke. If you stay there you'll be taking out loans to pay your bills.
not too people friendly
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXJanuary 12, 2017
This company is a good company in terms of chemical movement but sometimes forgets it is a people business using trucks. Management from the very top is sound, upper management is good, but the middle management is too compressed. Being a small company lends itself to placing more duties on middle management than is possible to balance family life and work life.
n/a
Employee (Current Employee) –  Croydon, PAJanuary 5, 2017
interaction between employees seems to make the company work without misinformation or interference from other staff.
Pros
meeting new people from all over
Old culture is the only culture.
Terminal Mgr (Former Employee) –  Croydon, PAApril 30, 2016
Does not accept new/different ideas. Driver shortage has been projected shortcoming in excess of 6 years. Response has been too late to both gain and retain good Drivers.
Company does not provide detailed training material. Training on key s/ware is ad-hoc and not consistent.
Always wants to expand but cannot maintain the Drivers necessary to meet Customers expectations.
Bad insurance and not enough money
Driver (Current Employee) –  TXNovember 16, 2015
Insurance is outrageous!!! Not enough money for the price of insurance. Work is not bad but not enough money. People are nice and broke.
Pros
Driver
Cons
Lower insurance rates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Highway Transport Chemical. Our community is ready to answer.

Highway Transport Chemical Reviews by Location