Hillis-Carnes Engineering Associates, Inc. Employee Reviews

It's an ok place, sometimes
Employee (Former Employee) –  Delmar, MDMarch 14, 2019
The bottom-line is the one and only thing upper management cares about. Important positions go unoccupied for months at a time to save a buck. Certain departments aren't properly funded to allow for staffing/growth and equipment. Low expectations are the norm.
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
poorly managed office
This place sucks
Engineering Technician III driller (Former Employee) –  Dover, DE delmar MarylandJanuary 7, 2019
I work at HCEA for 10 years and in that time I got just three Pay raises in that time I was there. I first started in the down turn of the economy as a engineering technician and work some of the biggest Projects in Dover with my hard work I pulled my self to the top but I won’t moor money for my efforts so the management in delmar ask me if I work and drive a big truck and maintain the geo prob they had in ther office me being a master ASE tech I Said ok boy I was in for a treat would call the manager jj he never wanted to fix the rig or put money in it or the truck unless you stuck at the scale house or broke down on the job site some of the old tech on this site that say that they have to use there cars good for you because the truck that delmar hade are unsafe and jj will or was unwilling to fix the Vehicles
Cons
Good
Field Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 7, 2018
It was good place too work. Management was good. Only issue might of been was the use of personal vehicle but at same time if you ran short between pay periods they had no problem issuing some advance on your paycheck
Productive workplace with a great staff
Industrial Hygiene Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2018
Management was very hands on with employees and were always there in order to ensure that jobs were done as efficient as possible by providing all necessary equipment.
Great Foundation Building
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDSeptember 21, 2018
Hillis-Carnes provided me with an excellent foundation and extensive knowledge that allowed me to grow in the construction/engineering industry. My project manager was very knowledgable and provided detailed explanations that could be applied to a multitude of quality control operations.
Horrible
Laborer (Current Employee) –  State College, PASeptember 16, 2018
State College, PA office does not promote from within. Minimal training provided to get you on to jobsites but nothing for intellectual or career advancement. Pay below average and work life balance is non existent. No bonuses other than employee of the month which requires managers to submit paperwork, State College managers will not do this. Threatening to quit is the only way to get a raise. Corporate values profit over employees. Employees stock is the only real benefit to working at Hillis.
Pros
Employee stock
Cons
Everything else
not great
Full-time Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Dover, DESeptember 10, 2018
Not a great work experience with them. They didn't pay well and didn't have enough company for employees to take to on site. So we had to drive our on cars.
Productive and exciting place to work
Civil Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 23, 2018
For the position that I was in the job was spot on. I did the type of work that I thought I would be doing. The job I was assigned was very boring at times. Sitting and waiting for the construction workers to finish what they were doing to that I could test the soil, concrete, asphalt or other material.
Broad range of projects and knowledgable people to learn from
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDNovember 2, 2017
Good management, which provides a lot of opportunities to learn. Can be laid back when appropriate. Compensation is decent and benefits are okay. Lacks in career advancement.
Good place and people to work with
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 30, 2017
Good place to work and learn more
Not too stressful place to work
Good place to learn a lot if you want to learn
Encourages to get certified if you desire
Pros
Always available to learn more and like family job
Cons
mileage bonus too small
good
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 18, 2017
good place to get your foot in the door in the world of geotechnical engineering and other fields regarding site planning and layout. can advance through company through education
Is not the job you a looking
Geotechnical Lab Technician and Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDNovember 29, 2016
Very bad company the employee have bad treatment not benefit you work a lot hours and the pay is not good. The only good in this job is if you not have any exp on this field is good for learn a work temporary in this company
Midsize firm with a very friendly staff
Project Manager Const. Materials testing (Current Employee) –  Annapolis Jct, MDAugust 1, 2016
Started at HCEA as a engineering tech. Advanced to Field Operations supervisor to Project Manager. The best part of the job was working with the contractors and field technicians. The varied experience in all types of construction was a plus. the worst part of the job was billing/accounts receivables. I have made a number of good friends
Pros
Good people
Cons
compensation could have been better
Awesome
Construction Building Inspector (Current Employee) –  Media, PAOctober 11, 2015
Great company, awesome boss, amazing environment I love it here, very flexible and understanding when things come up in life even when being a new hire employee.
Excellent professional people and atmosphere.
Senior Project Engineer, P.E. (Current Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDAugust 3, 2015
Excellent work atmosphere. Everyone is pleasant and willing to help. Technical information is abundant. Exposure to multiple facets of the engineering business.
Enjoying what i am doing
SQL Server DBA (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAApril 2, 2015
Hillis-Carnes is an outstanding company located in the Washington metro area. I enjoy working with my manager and co-workers everyday
Excellent reputation as a regional geotechnical engineering and testing firm
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Delmar, MDNovember 19, 2014
Writing reports, analyzing physical and environmental conditions of real property for risks.
Pros
Excellent healthcare benefits.
Cons
Mid range to low compensation levels.
over all good company to work for
Driller's assistant and construction laborer (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDSeptember 15, 2013
everyone met up at shop 6:30 and went to job sites instructed to by management. work days were 8 hours plus.monday through friday. paid bi-weekly.

I learned basic laborer skills such as, using hand tools, power tools, and machinary operational safty skills.

The Management was very flexible towards family events. also leanient but fair for tardiness.

co-workers were helpful in everyday work day whether it be physical assistance or step by step guidence on tasks. good group of guys.

hardest part of job was that the job is extremely physically demanding. i wouldnt recomend employement for those without a strong back.

the most enjoyable part of this job was the constant change of senery. most jobs were able to be done with 2 or less days so youd be on to the next place before the next week.
Pros
40 hours week
Cons
winter works is slow. and summers days are long.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillis-Carnes Engineering Associates, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Hillis-Carnes Engineering Associates, Inc. Reviews by Location