Hillsborough County, FL Employee Reviews

Okay
Paratransit Operator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 22, 2019
the hardest part of the job was trying to avoid getting hit by other drivers. I really did enjoy being able to help out the clients getting the from one part of city to the other side of town.
Brief peroids of great stress followed by inactivity
Supervisor/Field Op /Investigations/Communication (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 3, 2019
I took the job at Animal Services to get my foot in the door with the County, only to find out that I loved the job. Animal Services was the top Agencies in the State of Florida. Hillsborough County Investigations brought more cases to court and received more convictions then all the other agencies in the State combined.

Animal Services is noted for the stress caused by animal owners and those making complaints about the neighbors. Add to that the stress cased by the condition we often find the animals living in and uncaring animal owner. Unlike the local law enforcement, an Animal Control Officer has to control and deal with both ends of the leash.

The hardest part of the job was the euthanasia of all the unwanted pets. The throw away society we live in is a hard society to cope with when it comes to there pets.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to help someone to learn how to care for there pets. Also to see an abused animal come back to life when given the proper needed care.

Animal Services for the most part was a big family. The Department was small enough for everyone to know each other. Like any family there are fusses that flair up but are resolved quickly for the most part.
Pros
You could go home at night knowing you helped someone or something.
Cons
Knowing that you will find the same issues again only in a different neighborhood.
Great employer
Freelance Spanish Court Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 31, 2018
My manager was also very encouraging and supportive of any creative ideas that might help us improve the delivery of services to members of the public with Limited English Language Proficiency.
Good place to work and great people to work with.
Senior transportation worker (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLDecember 13, 2018
Was a great experience to work with Hillsborough County met a lot of great people and moved up fairly quick. Left for better opportunity but did not work out.
Pros
Great people, decent insurance
Cons
Pay, management
Hills County is where I spent most working for an Organization
Office Assist Office Assist. III, Clerk II,III, IV (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 12, 2018
I've worked for Hills County for over 13 years with different positions and departments due to several promotions. I started really young temporary and then worked my way up. I learned many clerical Admin duties. I've done payroll, travel arrangements, traffic tickets the process to get ready for court, filing ordering supplies and many other duties. The hardest part of the job I would say is that there was no flexibility at all. The most enjoyable part of the job was it was family oriented the years I was working for HIllsborough County. I was fortunate to have great Managers, very understanding, I knew the expectations and it was a place that I was able to shine with my work abilities.
Pros
great pay, advancement opportunities, great benefits
Cons
no flexibility, parking can be expensive if you drive downtown
Not a good paying job for cost of living in area
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 3, 2018
Unfortunately due to the low pay the overall vibe of the place is poor, people don't put in the effort and the turn over is pretty substantial.
I would suggest possibly looking into other construction options that may pay better long term.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Pay for area
Opportunity to learn a lot about local government
Digital Media Producer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 29, 2018
Great work place! Great people and a lot of opportunity to learn and grow your skill set. Great to learn about government and just how important it is to our lives. Take advantage of the ton of resources their are out there!
Pros
Breaks during day!
Not what you'd think
HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 23, 2018
A typical workday involves more work than a person can possibly do. High stress, high level of responsibility and the salary does not reflect the job you are actually doing.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Most have to work during the summer to pay the bills
Court Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 23, 2018
Life balance is ok. Productive workplace. PTO and time off. Better pay would be good for employees. More training for new hires to learn the job. Love helping customers!
Horrible
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 3, 2018
If you enjoy a high school type of environment with politics and back stabbing- then go for it! It's an old fat lady girls club...horrible leaders with no desire for improvement. Just lay low until they die or retire. An absolute joke in terms of leadership...there is none!
benefits
Cons
HR/Management
It was a fun place to work for.
Court Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 30, 2018
Management was great. Everyone was great to work with. The hours were awesome. Loved the type of work that was presented. The best part of the job was the people you worked with and the customers.
Pros
I liked the structured schedule
Don’t recommend
Tech Staff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 27, 2018
Look elsewhere . If you are looking for a fair place to work this company is not the way to go. I was over worked and underpaid even with a medical issue.
Changed
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Having worked at Hillsborough County for over 18 years a lot has changed. In the beginning longevity was rewarded, employee morale was important and raises were annual, based on merit. As time progressed hard work was expected, but not rewarded. Experience and hard work were cast aside. Hiring employees for the least amount of money became more important than experience and abilities. The County is now taking advantage of employees.
Pros
Offers healthcare for a price.
Cons
Long hours minimal pay.
Excellent place to work
Manager 1 (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 31, 2018
Hillsborough County is a great place to work. There is always room for advancement. There is a close inner circle that keeps outsiders from getting the higher paying jobs.
Pros
Great Benifits
Cons
The inner circle of carrer employees
Micro-Managed
Admin (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 22, 2018
They want you to be time flexible as far as staying late, but they are NOT time flexible at ALL when you are punching in in the morning, during your 2-15 mins breaks, and during your lunch. New employees WILL heavily be taken advantage of during the holidays as far as staying late.

Management - Employee relationship is very much like a Parent - Child relationship. Even if you are told to do something from one manager and another manager tell you its incorrect. You cannot defend yourself or answer back......even if its in writing they are not trying to hear it. It is not the place for you if you have a voice.

Other than that enjoy!
Pros
Its Downtown
Cons
Micro-Manage
Micromanage
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLAugust 17, 2018
Very slow easy work, but yet micromanaged by individuals that do not know the position details. There is job security but with little pay and yearly raises average about $0.05.
good place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 7, 2018
i learned a lot there. I had to leave the job early for personal reasons but it was a great experience. the judges I work with were awesome. I would suggest this experience to any law student
Very Professional atmosphere
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 19, 2018
I would love to work for this organization any time. This was a job I never thought I would do. Turned out to be almost as great as the days I spent as a Fire Fighter.
Pros
Education counts and educational assistance
Cons
none I am aware of
Great place to work. Need to pay more!
Firefighter Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 16, 2018
One of the largest Fire Departments in the state and the nation. 44 Fire stations. They need to build 20 more to keep up with the growth in Hillsborough County.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Pay needs to be more competitive
Good Place To Work
GIS Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 5, 2018
I have been fortunate in that it has been a great place to work for me. I would recommend HC for those that prefer stability, stable schedules and some benefits over pay and advancement.