Hillsborough County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Very productive, family atmosphere
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 28, 2018
I was with Witter Elementary for 6 years before having to resign for personal reason. Everything taking care of, ready for work. Been working for the schools systems with ese/ ipeeps for 20 years here and NC. The needs range from slight speech to severe cases. There were 5 to 15 children in the class ages 3 to 5. I worked along side the school nurses with the children taking medication throughout the day. I've taken training to update or new skills for the field/classroom.
Love working with the students!
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 17, 2018
Working for the school district is great for people still in school to advance their careers. The pay is not so great for the nursing staff. However, the district feels the schedule accommodates for the pay. Yes, M-F and holidays/summers off is great but Nurses shouldn't have to have 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. If you're married or have another source of income and just want to have this schedule this is a great position.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Pay
If you are going to be a teacher, Hillsborough County Public Schools is where you want to be.
6th/7th/8th Grade Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 1, 2018
Hillsborough County is vastly ahead of the other districts in training, curriculum, and being ahead of the curve when it comes to changes in education. The pay seems to be more and the medical benefits are free for the employee.
Pros
Free medical, training offered
Cons
It is impossible to actually teach children without parent intrusion and demands, too many IEPS and 504s give children excuses not opportunities for success, and it has made them lazy and unsuccessful for today's workplace.
Interpreting in classroom
DHH Interpreter/Teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 16, 2018
I enjoyed working along with staff to help deaf students achieve learning objectives. There were some transitions in the management team in effort to make some changes in the organizational culture especially in the area of deaf education. The most enjoyable part of the job is playing a part in individual students reaching academic milestones.
Too much uncertainty and not enough appreciation for loyalty
Teacher, Social Studies (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 31, 2018
It appears district looses employees in shuffle and employees are just not appreciated for their hard work and dedication. There's more but do not want to name names of people who are unappreciative.
Pros
Employee pool will find you another placement
Cons
Upper management could not care less about employees dedication
Positive but unstable postings
Exceptional Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 13, 2018
I worked as a self-contained teacher for exceptional education students in a Special Education Center.
The culture at the school was supportive and caring for all students and teachers.
The hardest part of the job was subjecting students to state required testing and curriculum that does not meet the students needs or level of understanding.
The best part of the job is working with the wonderful students and their families.
Pros
Students and supportive colleagues
Cons
Unit cuts in ESE schools is damaging and stressful for students and teachers.
Handled all information on students
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLOctober 16, 2018
I enjoyed the positive difference I got to make in so many students lives I was able to be a important part of all these students from the time they entered kindergarten thru the fifth grade and am still in contact with a lot of them that are now grown with children of their own.
Pros
Working hours were 7 to 3:30 which were great
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours to get everything done that was required
Teaching
Teacher/Sports Manager/Girls Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 3, 2018
Very stressful, as I worked in Title One schools. You do it because you love it and are committed to the kids. The best part is seeing troubled kids succeed. The saddest part is when they don't make it, students getting bullied and hurt in schools.
Pros
Good benefits, good commaraderie.
Cons
When opportunities are not given to the most deserving teachers or students.
Politics and Buddy-System
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 14, 2018
Teachers strive to get positions that take them out of the classroom. Administration never supports classroom teachers. Teaching in Hillsborough County is like being a Filter between the Politicians and the Voters. The politicians need someone to blame to keep their votes and the Voters need someone to blame to keep the politicians in office.
Pros
Cons
Every Day
Rewarding
Nursing Assistant/Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 12, 2018
I work for an Enter city school. The students there require a lot of attention that they did not receive at home. I enjoyed working with these type of students. Proving myself as a safe person to talk with was rewarding. although, it was days that was rough than other, the experience is something that I would never change.
Pros
making a diffence in a child life
Cons
no apprecation
Stressful school environment and dictatorial workplace
5th Grade and Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sulphur Springs ElementarySeptember 15, 2018
A brutal environment for both teachers and students. Parents were ignored, not welcome at the school even as volunteers. It was a completely closed campus, with fences and gates. Parents had to wait outside the fence to pick ups their children.
All decisions were made by admin, no teacher input or respect for different points of view. Florida DOE is one of the worst, most dictatorial in the country, and Hillsborough county made this even worse by their scripted, test-driven curriculum and micro-management of every teacher's instruction. Teachers had zero flexibility or freedom. A terrible experience.
Too few employees to meet student needs
District Peer Counselor Evaluator/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 30, 2018
As far as school districts, Hillsborough County Schools is above the curve. However, with too few funds, the students and employee needs could not be met.
Pros
Benefits, summer off
Cons
Many nights for family functions, not enough hours in the day to meet student needs
School System
Exceptional Student Education Staff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 5, 2018
Working in a school district is interesting. Focus should be on providing relevant instructional support to students with disabilities, unable to get planning period to complete IEP's many times work was taken home to complete as there was no dedicated workspace as ESE teachers float. Difficult to locate resources for student accommodations.
Pros
Trainings
Cons
No down time during planning period
Things have changed!
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLSeptember 1, 2018
Education took a turn for the worse and teachers were not valued and allowed to use their talents like in the days of old. Testing became the new god, and "group-think" took over individuality. Management was empowered to bend and break every 'old-fashioned' teacher who actually thought is was their business to truly educate students, and create independent thinkers and learners. I really didn't like the 'last lap' in my long career! I did enjoy most of it prior to the "new think" policing and policies that came about, nation-wide.
fair
ESE Support Facilitator/Teacher/Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 9, 2018
Hillsborough schools allowed me to see what was missing when it came to providing needed resources other that providing education services. Some schools were provided better books and more advance/up to date curriculum than other schools. It appeared to be divisive in many areas.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
No regard to you as a personj poor management at upper level as well
Secretary III - PD - Reading Endorsement (Current Employee) –  ROSSACNovember 16, 2018
No regard to you as a personj poor management at upper level as well.
I would rather discuss this in person and not write a review. I have not left my employment to date, but I am looking for something outside the school district.
Terrible place to work but getting better
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2019
I did not enjoy working at the school I was assigned to. The administration was terrible and didn't care about the students or teachers. I've heard that it's getting better, however. This was just one school so I can't speak for all of Hillsborough County.
Challenging and rewarding field of work
Underage ABE/GED Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 13, 2018
Challenging and rewarding field of work. I recommend this field of work to anyone who is serious about making a difference in the lives of children. This field of work may be difficult in the beginning, but if one were to focus on developing his or her craft and remain professional, they will be blessed to see the difference they make in the lives of children.
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 10, 2018
Working for the School District has many benefits, including 10-12 weeks off work per year. Although this time is not paid, an employee can use the extended summer pay program to distribute their salary when not at work. Although the District has some issues, it has excellent benefits, especially for those with children.
Es un bien lugar para trabajar y requiere exfuerzo maximo
Lunchroom Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 7, 2018
Seguro
Estresante
Requiere de mucha responsabilidad y precisión
Requiere de trabajo en equipo, el trabajo en las escuelas principalmente el del Comedor requiere de trabajo en equipo para la seguridad de los niños
Pros
Almuerzo gratis, fines de semana libre
Cons
Muy pocas veces el trabajo en equipo fue satisfactorio y es esencial en un empleo como este