Hillsborough County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Fun place to work and flexible for graduate student or current students in high school or college
HOST (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 19, 2018
Great work atmosphere and updated trainings for most relevant knowledge. I believe hours should be more available for those who can or wish to work more than 5 hours a day.
Enjoyable
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 18, 2018
The staff was very easy to get a long with. Lots of communication with faculty, staff, parents, and students. Took a lot of work home most weeks in order to get everything accomplished.
Love working with the students!
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 17, 2018
Working for the school district is great for people still in school to advance their careers. The pay is not so great for the nursing staff. However, the district feels the schedule accommodates for the pay. Yes, M-F and holidays/summers off is great but Nurses shouldn't have to have 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. If you're married or have another source of income and just want to have this schedule this is a great position.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Pay
Interpreting in classroom
DHH Interpreter/Teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 16, 2018
I enjoyed working along with staff to help deaf students achieve learning objectives. There were some transitions in the management team in effort to make some changes in the organizational culture especially in the area of deaf education. The most enjoyable part of the job is playing a part in individual students reaching academic milestones.
Like all teaching jobs, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."
Certified Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 16, 2018
If location is not a critical issue for you I suggest finding a State that pays their teachers more. Florida ranks 42nd in teacher pay. If you are going to bust your butt as teacher, you might as well get paid for it.

Other than pay, Hillsborough County is a good area to live and good school district to teach in. It is one of the largest districts in the country so it has a diverse range of schools, from rural to urban, and student populations. There are also several magnet programs specializing in STEM, fine and performing arts, IB programs, vo-tech and others. You can really find your niche in this District.

The District leadership, at least in the science area, was progressive, offered good resources and had plenty of training opportunities. I enjoyed working with my colleagues who I found dedicated, helpful and easy going. As usual, the leadership among individual schools can vary greatly though.
Pros
Large district with diverse range of schools, students and teaching opportunities, good resources and training opportunities
Cons
Low pay in FL schools compared to most other states
No regard to you as a personj poor management at upper level as well
Secretary III - PD - Reading Endorsement (Current Employee) –  ROSSACNovember 16, 2018
No regard to you as a personj poor management at upper level as well.
I would rather discuss this in person and not write a review. I have not left my employment to date, but I am looking for something outside the school district.
Politics and Buddy-System
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 14, 2018
Teachers strive to get positions that take them out of the classroom. Administration never supports classroom teachers. Teaching in Hillsborough County is like being a Filter between the Politicians and the Voters. The politicians need someone to blame to keep their votes and the Voters need someone to blame to keep the politicians in office.
Pros
Cons
Every Day
capabilites to advance
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 14, 2018
always something new to learn, continuous challeges, love customer interactions.
love the idea of being able to advance,
love the perks of the Holidays off, able to interact with your families
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Shields Middle SchoolNovember 12, 2018
I enjoyed working in Hillsborough County. The administration had my back. My coworkers looked out for me and shared ideas and materials with me. I knew who to go to for help.
Fun working with children
Aide (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 9, 2018
The best parts of the day were seeing the children excited for new projects or having fun playing games. It was a great learning experience to work so closely with the development of so many children.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Not many hours to work
School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 8, 2018
They have paid training to drive a School Bus. I drove for Elementary, Middle and High School. I had a close rapport with my children. They have good benefits.
student education
Instructor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 8, 2018
Intense title one school. The teaching atmosphere while challenging was beneficial knowing that students made learning gains if not in the classroom, in life skills.
Challenging work
Clinic Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 7, 2018
School nursing presents unique - and perplexing - challenges at times. Teachers get tired and sometimes send children to the clinic as a last ditch effort.
Pros
good hours, holiday breaks
Cons
small world environment
Teaching
Teacher/Sports Manager/Girls Volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 3, 2018
Very stressful, as I worked in Title One schools. You do it because you love it and are committed to the kids. The best part is seeing troubled kids succeed. The saddest part is when they don't make it, students getting bullied and hurt in schools.
Pros
Good benefits, good commaraderie.
Cons
When opportunities are not given to the most deserving teachers or students.
If you are going to be a teacher, Hillsborough County Public Schools is where you want to be.
6th/7th/8th Grade Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 1, 2018
Hillsborough County is vastly ahead of the other districts in training, curriculum, and being ahead of the curve when it comes to changes in education. The pay seems to be more and the medical benefits are free for the employee.
Pros
Free medical, training offered
Cons
It is impossible to actually teach children without parent intrusion and demands, too many IEPS and 504s give children excuses not opportunities for success, and it has made them lazy and unsuccessful for today's workplace.
very fun and nice environment
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 25, 2018
I work a seven hour shift daily. I really enjoy my job. working with the children and there parents. You meet and experience different things daily at my job.
Cons
no benefits
friendly enviroment
AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Plant City, FLOctober 24, 2018
This job helps me and benefits me as I want to become a teacher and this job shows and helps me learn the ways of teaching in a classroom. It helps me grow as I help other students with their needs and help them succeed.
Company Review
Business Educator, Adult ESOL (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 19, 2018
The company was truly a pleasure to work for. The only drawback was the pay wages given to teachers. The teachers supported one another and the workplace had a family atmosphere, The student's were more engaged in learning too.
Wonderful People
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLOctober 17, 2018
Hillsbourough County Schools is a great place to work. It's not an area where you will get rich but you will make a difference in the lives of children.
Handled all information on students
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLOctober 16, 2018
I enjoyed the positive difference I got to make in so many students lives I was able to be a important part of all these students from the time they entered kindergarten thru the fifth grade and am still in contact with a lot of them that are now grown with children of their own.
Pros
Working hours were 7 to 3:30 which were great
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours to get everything done that was required