Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews

Community Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 28, 2019
I recommend working at HCSO. It is a great work environment with awesome co workers and good benefits. The pay was decent but could be more for certain job titles.
Excellent career choice
Detective (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 13, 2019
HCSO is a premier law enforcement agency which provides first class training, compensation, and benefits. Working for a large agency such as this offers opportunities to work and gain experience in different fields of law enforcement.
Pros
Growth opportunities, state pension, and retirement savings
Cons
Shift work, nonstandard work schedule
Pretty Standard Government Funded Job
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 11, 2019
The only rewarding part of the job is knowing you are supporting the law enforcement community.

There is a lot of bureaucracy and limited funds making the ability for using modern technologies harder to grasp for the civilian staff.
Productive Workplace
Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 25, 2019
The years I've been there had it ups and downs. Ive met some wonderful peers and some I wish i never known them. Dealing with the community is what i had loved the most because that where my compassion are shown through. It was sad when we had to deal with bad news or calls and it felt good to be able to help someone.
No loyality to employees.
Deputy / Corporal (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 18, 2019
Seemed a great place to work at the outset of my career and almost up to the end! Upper Management as mentioned is disconnected from line staff. Progressive discipline not used with employees who error. Politics seem to dictate all aspects of the culture. No real camaraderie among the troops, in the field or working the floor.
Pros
Having to work only 14 days a month typically.
Cons
Upper managment disconected from line staff. Politics.
Hcso
Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 12, 2019
Highly professional. Criminal activities were resolved in a timely manner with good results. Ride alongs were safe and allowed the interns the ability to observe the deputies in their work environment.
great benefits
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 4, 2019
Great place to work. had jobs security. Liked people I worked with. Had good benefits and a good retirement. Would tell everyone that it is a good job and a good place to work and benefits are good.
Great place to work and lean
Deputy/Detective/Corporal/Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 25, 2019
My job at the Sheriff's Office enabled me to advance upon retirement to a Federal investigative job. I made life long friends that I still call on today.
Pros
People/Salary/Advancement
Cons
Nothing major
Great place to start if your young planning on a law enforcement career. Also if your retired.
Court Officer (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 12, 2019
Great place to to work if you plan on getting into law enforcement. Also if you a retired. Also as a part time job. Hours are great If you can only work certain days they are very flexible.
Pros
schedule
Cons
salary
Satisfying
Certified Child Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 11, 2019
The culture is very fast pace
Stressful but rewarding to help the community
Long hours and not too many holidays off
Compensated with take home vehicle to assist with transportation and gas costs
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Good place to work for
DEPUTY SHERIFF (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 10, 2019
High demands and commitment required. The agency is competitive with its pay and benefits. Most gear is supplied by the agency and there are many training opportunities.
Pros
N/a
Cons
summary
Deputy (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 8, 2018
Hillsborough County Sheriffs office is a great place to work and creates a great family environment. If you are looking for a LEO job, it is the place to go.
Premier Sheriffs office in the state
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 8, 2018
Work was in the detention department. Main responsibilities were the care, custody and control of inmates housed in jail. Good learning opportunities exist. Great workplace culture. Very professional organization.
Pros
Available training
Cons
Working in a jail
Excellent
Master Law Enforcement Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 30, 2018
This is one of the finest law enforcement agencies in the entire country. You will not find a more professional and effective public service oriented agency anywhere in the United States.
Pros
A very large and well equipped agency with numerous resources
Cons
Potential for violence associated with police work
Advanced through the management path as expected
Lieutenant Shift Commander (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 6, 2018
This was my first job after the military and felt the job was the most exciting job I ever had.
I still miss the friends and the challenge of the roll as a law enforcement officer
Pros
Employment to raise my family after my military experience
Cons
I always enjoyed situations that seemed uncontrollable, solving those issues made be very proud
Start your new career
Digital Communications Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 25, 2018
Go to work excited to help people. Take calls in a timely manner, be ready to multi-task, and be ready for the adrenaline rush. 9-1-1 call taking is not for everyone so really make sure this is the career path you want to head down.
Enjoyed working at the agency
TV Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 6, 2018
HCSO is a fine agency to work with. Good benefits and managed very well. There are workout ares in all the districts and overall provide excellent equipment to work with.
New management needed
Records Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 27, 2018
Great job, interesting, relaxed. Steady work flow. But management is not the greatest. Managers are stuck in ruts. rude, and careless. They are close to retirement, and debby downers.
Good benefits, poor work environment
Office Assistant Ii (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 11, 2018
I would consider the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office an average place to work. The pay is adequate and the health insurance benefits are very good. The job culture is pretty poor , however. There is a definite disparity between how civilian employees are treated and how law enforcement employees are treated. Some departments have a hostile working environment due to bullying supervisors. This trait has seemed to have gotten worse over the years. I worked at the agency for over 35 years.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
Poor work environment
volunteer
Ride along -Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 3, 2018
I didn't have a typical day at work. I was volunteering for a ride along because of my major. they put up with a lot of things but its really difficult to even get an internship there.