Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
New management needed
Records Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 27, 2018
Great job, interesting, relaxed. Steady work flow. But management is not the greatest. Managers are stuck in ruts. rude, and careless. They are close to retirement, and debby downers.
Good benefits, poor work environment
Office Assistant Ii (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 11, 2018
I would consider the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office an average place to work. The pay is adequate and the health insurance benefits are very good. The job culture is pretty poor , however. There is a definite disparity between how civilian employees are treated and how law enforcement employees are treated. Some departments have a hostile working environment due to bullying supervisors. This trait has seemed to have gotten worse over the years. I worked at the agency for over 35 years.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
Poor work environment
volunteer
Ride along -Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 3, 2018
I didn't have a typical day at work. I was volunteering for a ride along because of my major. they put up with a lot of things but its really difficult to even get an internship there.
Higher Ups are not supportive and CUT THROAT
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 27, 2018
As a CPI the job itself isn't hard; your supervisor makes all the difference. You have some awesome supervisors and you have supervisors that will make life extremely hard for you. Don't give your opinion and don't speak unless spoken too with the higher ups or they will feel you're challenging their authority etc...they see you as beneath them.
Pros
Pay is fair; Hours werent bad
Cons
Supervisors; No support from higher ups; Favoritism
Stable.
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 16, 2018
Stable employment. Good pay for the county. 30 years for retirement seems a little too long. 12 hour shifts but you receive plenty of time off.....
Pros
Pay
Cons
Inmates are becoming harder to deal with.
They like to keep it in the family
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 8, 2018
Every individual supervisor I've met except for one, has risen to the top only because they know or are related to someone who is working in the agency. Favoritism is very high and moral is very low. No real training for the new employees for fear of losing their status or job. It is a very political manipulative environment. As for communications skills, there are none. If you ask questions you get placed under a bad spotlight from which you will never be able to get out of. The only good thing are the hours and the benefits which you will need due to the stress it places on its employees.
Pros
Time off and benefits
Cons
Short breaks, favoritism
Positive Culture
Community Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 18, 2018
I enjoy my duties and the work environment very much. I have always been given great support in striving to develop my full professional potential. I highly recommend this agency to anyone considering this field.
Pros
Great benefits.
Always room for advancement
Law Enforcement Deputy (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 1, 2018
- Every day is different
- Great training
- Constantly interacting with citizens
- Responding to calls for service
- Protecting and serving citizens of Hillsborough County
Stressful but rewarding
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 14, 2018
See above. It is a very stressful place to work but it is also very rewarding. The management do what they can with what they have, but it is also very political.
Pros
flexible
Cons
unstable working hours
Pay was good and overtime was available
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 10, 2017
I worked as a Child Protective Investigator for 4 years. It was hard to plan my day. I could have a plan but get a case where the children had to be removed and nothing else gets done. Some days I worked in the office but most days I lived out of my car doing home visits. This is a hard job. You deal with mostly unstable, uneducated, dysfunctional families with drug abuse issues, domestic violence issues, poor discipline methods and mental health issues. For a lot of the families these issues are generational and the cycle is never broken. The workplace culture was negative and stressful. The hardest part of the job was caring a case load that was high and not feeling like I could protect children with so many cases. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was saving a child from abuse and neglect by removing them from the parents.
Pros
Had a work car, phone, camera and other equipment needed to do job
Cons
taking time off was hard, the prep before and catching up upon return
Internship
Child Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 28, 2017
I did a three-month internship with USF and really enjoyed everything I learned at HCSO. I would recommend anyone who has the opportunity to intern take time with HCSO
Great agency
Child Protection Investigator (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLNovember 8, 2017
Hard working individuals. Great Family like atmosphere. Good support system and fantastic benefits. Highly recommend this work place to anyone. This type of work, however can be mentally and emotionally exhausting.
Amazing agency
Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 6, 2017
I did my internship with HCSO. This by far was the best experience. Everyone was wiling to allow me to shadow them and they answered all of my questions. Everything with this agency is plain as day. They have an awesome benefit structure. Working for HCSO would be a a great privilege and you can see that employees of HCSO are highly respected in the community.
benefits
Cons
long hours, high stress
Manager, IT Business Support Bureau (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 3, 2017
I was always taught that if you had nothing good to say it was better to say nothing at all. Salary and Benefits are more than generous. Other than that I would just as soon keep those opinions to myself.
Worst Supervision Ever
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 19, 2017
This place is infested with over the top favoritism and backstabbing to get ahead. If you're not into that, don't work here. Supervisors are extremely lazy and have a God complex. If you don't suck up and burn your fellow deputies, you will never advance. Count on working basic uniform patrol or stuck in a pod with inmates for the next 30 years. Stay away from this place and go to a respectable agency.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Not like any other job!
Digital Communications Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 30, 2017
The job as a dispatcher is stressful, but it can have its positives. It's not a job for everyone, but those who can do it join an group of elites that are called "The Thin Gold Line". There is nothing negative about the agency. There are many wonderful people, including managers, that make each day go by a little better. Always someone to talk to if an issue arises.
Pay is good.
Criminal Investigations Detective (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 6, 2017
I wouldnt recommend law enforcement for any person in this country due to the danger and lack of respect. I will say that the compensation is quick good but thats about the only benefit.
Pros
pay
Cons
danger n stress
Hard work
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 29, 2017
Non-stop call taking. Work is stressful enough without the constant badgering from higher. At times it seems like you work hard for nothing. It is a rewarding job though.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Stressfull, non-stop
good work environment
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 20, 2017
It was a very good working environment, I enjoyed watching out for the safety of the children. The most enjoyable time was interacting with the children.
Great example of what life as a Sheriff's Deputy is really like.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33613June 28, 2017
Absolutely honest and respectful work environment. Constant lessons in what it is to work as a Deputy and how they are helping to improve the lives of the people who live in Hillsborough County.