Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office

Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews

United States117 reviews
It’s a place you know you have job security. Hours are good. You have people who can work with your schedule if needed. The company is one that’s been around for a long time.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Politics
The good thing is that it helps you understand the value of things we possess in life and being grateful to have them. The bad thing about this job is that the Work load overwhelming.
Management NEEDS training. I’ve been through multiple supervisors and one thing I know for sure is the lack of management skills. People without any former/lack of management/leadership skills are placed into positions they have no business being in.
So while working as a probation officer, the other departments did not know we were even apart of the sheriff's office. I love HCSO to death and wish I would have started my career in a different department. Probation or detention specialists get 150-200 probationees a month. All who have to be seen in the first 20 days of the month. I know they have a budget they have to abide by but they legit have/had 20 detention specialists with a crazy caseload. Most in the department are just putting in their 2 years to transfer to another department. Better training would be the main thing I would suggest, as well as get better supervisors. When you have someone telling you every day that if you make a mistake you are going to jail it causes a very stressful work environment and that would be the guy with the intials PP
Like any Law Enforcement Agency. The work environment is extremely fast paced and at times dangerous. Management does not back the Deputies. If a complaint is made y the public, Management usually sides with the public. As a Patrol Deputy, you will respond continually to calls, write numerous reports andand are expected to complete three task in a rapid manner. All written reports are edited by your Supervisor and have to be extremely detailed and completely error free.are expected to
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Worked for the office for approximately 8 years. Dealt with more inter office politics and overall poor management than anywhere I have ever worked. I felt more comfortable dealing with criminals in the street than the criminals within the office.
You will not be valued here sadly enough. They also do not provide any opportunity for advancement. It is run by politicians and you can feel that. They also expect you to give more care to them than your own families even if they don't say it.
Working at the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office was a joy. I got to serve my community. I was able to help our citizens with paperwork they needed.
Pros
Family
Cons
pay
Great environment to be a part of. Deputies work well together and support each other to make sure everyone can get out of work on time to go home with their families.
Great place to work.

Compensated fairly.

Large agency with opportunity for growth.

New sheriff, open minded and forward thinking.

Great equipment and uniform.
In both jobs that I worked for with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, I have been working night shift. Other than sleep deprivation, the jobs themselves have treated me well.
I work in the Financial section of the HCSO. I love my job and my co-workers are all wonderful. The managers are rarely appreciative of those in the worker pool. Jobs are plentiful because so many people are leaving. The morale is poor. There's no incentive to work hard because performance evaluations rarely reflect it. Co-workers are friendly and make up for management's indifference. Benefits are great! Pay is on the low side of the range.
Pros
Co-workers, Benefits, Paid Time Off, Retirement
Cons
Poor morale, promotions are hard to get, managers are indifferent
This agency is one of the highest paid. Depending on where you work there is an ability to move around and grow. Hours are long though and sometimes hard to manage time with families. Some leadership is decent to work under.
Pros
high pay
Cons
no real break time
Great experience and knowledgeable when one gets to understand the value of having the training receive especially in investigated incident and crimes. learning how to monitored crowded public areas and events to mitigate risk and promote safety to the public
Pros
involved in community intervention
Cons
also have to be alert in your soundings no hestations in the job
Not only professional but such an honor to work for this agency. Benefit were okay.loved the rotation.
Program incentives were great aswell. Shift leads were also very helpful
I was told that the Office was not just an agency, but it was a family. There were multiple times where I experienced just that. Everyone on the road has your back and your supervisors care about you too.
The finest law enforcement agency in the country This is a great career opportunity for anyone who wants to work with the best of the best. Highly recommended!!
I got a lot of job experience with working for the sheriff's office. The hardest part of the job is management micromanaging everything you do. The best part would be some of the people I have met along the way.
If you like meeting all types of people, then the HCSO is definitely the place to work. There is a great mix of all types of people that are employed by HCSO and along the way you get to make many friends!
I worked there for 20 years as a Detention Deputy. It is what you make it. College degree will get you ahead, even if you don't deserve it. Things changed over the years and I can say I wouldn't do it again. Good and bad supervisors, same as coworkers. I never really had a problem myself and that says a lot. I did retire early and enjoying my pension til I die. Since I left, the pay has increased over $8. Used to be difficult to go to the road from the jail but i think that has changed.
Pros
Work half the year, good pay, retirement
Cons
Poor behaved inmates, always short handed
Going through the Chain of command is required for everything yet nobody ever does anything to assist. The job itself was such a perfect match for me and utilized my 20 plus legal experience. I loved my actual responsiblities and I was awesome at the job. My direct supervisor was awsome, if I could have kept the job and only had to deal with her, I would have retired there but the Director and entire chain of command is simply just putting their time in to either retire or get to another position and everybody is out for themselves. I went through a year from applying for this job, getting called for an interview, going through background and criminal checks, drug screenings and actually starting the job. I took a pay cut to have this position and it would have been worth it had management not been so horrible. The turn over in the probation division is insane. Roughly 10 people left in my short time here and people I'm still friends with are still trying to find other employment.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2