Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews for Child Protection Practitioner

Higher Ups are not supportive and CUT THROAT
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 27, 2018
As a CPI the job itself isn't hard; your supervisor makes all the difference. You have some awesome supervisors and you have supervisors that will make life extremely hard for you. Don't give your opinion and don't speak unless spoken too with the higher ups or they will feel you're challenging their authority etc...they see you as beneath them.
Pros
Pay is fair; Hours werent bad
Cons
Supervisors; No support from higher ups; Favoritism
Stressful but rewarding
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 14, 2018
See above. It is a very stressful place to work but it is also very rewarding. The management do what they can with what they have, but it is also very political.
Pros
flexible
Cons
unstable working hours
Pay was good and overtime was available
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 10, 2017
I worked as a Child Protective Investigator for 4 years. It was hard to plan my day. I could have a plan but get a case where the children had to be removed and nothing else gets done. Some days I worked in the office but most days I lived out of my car doing home visits. This is a hard job. You deal with mostly unstable, uneducated, dysfunctional families with drug abuse issues, domestic violence issues, poor discipline methods and mental health issues. For a lot of the families these issues are generational and the cycle is never broken. The workplace culture was negative and stressful. The hardest part of the job was caring a case load that was high and not feeling like I could protect children with so many cases. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was saving a child from abuse and neglect by removing them from the parents.
Pros
Had a work car, phone, camera and other equipment needed to do job
Cons
taking time off was hard, the prep before and catching up upon return
Internship
Child Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 28, 2017
I did a three-month internship with USF and really enjoyed everything I learned at HCSO. I would recommend anyone who has the opportunity to intern take time with HCSO
Great agency
Child Protection Investigator (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLNovember 8, 2017
Hard working individuals. Great Family like atmosphere. Good support system and fantastic benefits. Highly recommend this work place to anyone. This type of work, however can be mentally and emotionally exhausting.
Stressful
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 1, 2017
Management don't care, stressful environment, no regular hours. while at court you have cases assigned to you,, many staffing to attend, no reward for hard work. some supervisors give their favorite employee easy case (non shelter cases)
Na
Child Protective Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 19, 2017
Good Benefits.
Good environment.
Supervisors may be to overbearing however supportive.
Rewarding and outstanding career.
Hectic work environment.
Intense hours
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FlApril 1, 2015
Great place to work and would recommend to anyone looking to protect children and help build families. You are able to help children and that is the most rewarding part of the job.
Great organization
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 7, 2013
A typical day at work consists of lots of driving, typing, and interviewing clients. The days are sometimes very long. Each day has something different from the previous day, which helps me learn something new everyday. My coworkers are very busy and I seldom see them. The hardest part of the job is time management. The company is very strict and will not allow any overtime unless it is absolutely necessary. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have helped a child live another day.
benefits
Cons
annual shift bid
Hardest job you will ever have
Child Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 20, 2012
You continually get slammed with new cases while the management provides you with little to no support. The office is thick with politics and vieled threats. The work can be rewarding however the things that happen while within the office are enough to make anyone go crazy. The only good thing is the benefits which are amazing. If you apply for this job then prepare to have no life because it is so time consuming. It has cuase many a relationship and marriage to fail and due to the hectic schedule dating is near impossible.