Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews for Community Service Officer

Productive Workplace
Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 25, 2019
The years I've been there had it ups and downs. Ive met some wonderful peers and some I wish i never known them. Dealing with the community is what i had loved the most because that where my compassion are shown through. It was sad when we had to deal with bad news or calls and it felt good to be able to help someone.
Positive Culture
Community Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 18, 2018
I enjoy my duties and the work environment very much. I have always been given great support in striving to develop my full professional potential. I highly recommend this agency to anyone considering this field.
Pros
Great benefits.
Professional environment where we all worked as a team.
Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 31, 2017
Our shifts were Monday through Sunday on a rotational basis to keep days on and off equal. We processed several hundred people on any given day for visits with their inmates. It was brisk and we had to be on our toes at all times. I love being busy! I learned how to deal with people who were in our facility to see loved ones who had been arrested and incarcerated in the Falkenburg and Orient Road Jails. Their demeanor could be anything from the nicest people you have ever met to those who lost all control and on rare occasions were either escorted off property, trespassed, or arrested and booked by the on site Sheriff's Deputies. Team work was the key from the Captain of the facility down to us the civilian employees. The hardest part was dealing with troublemakers trying to push us over the top so we would be reprimanded. The best part was at the end of the last visit check in when we all gave a collective sigh of relief. That was when we could comment about the day. Everything from who had the quirkiest visitor to what was going on in our home life. I miss the job and I miss the people.
Pros
Good job, benefits, and people.
Cons
That one visitor pushing our buttons.
Very interresting place to work
Community Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 27, 2016
If you are a very physical fit person there are very many positions as a sworn personnel. This organization promotes growth in many areas. I've been there for 3 years and I would love to retire from there if I can find the position that fits for me.
Pros
Employment growth
Cons
12 hours and overnight shifts
"911, What is your emergency?"
Community Service Officer / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 24, 2014
There is no typical day at work when you work at the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. You never know what your next call will be, or what will happen. I learned a great deal of patience and compassion. I've talked to people who have just had their home broken into, parents whose son or daughter hasn't come home, to individuals who want to end their life. And they are calling because they don't feel like they have any other option. Those calls are definately the hardest part of my job. My coworkers are all amazing and each one of us is trained for 6 months or longer to be able to do our job correctly. I'd say the most enjoyable part of my job is when working the radio position, and if deputy keys up and you can tell something isn't right, getting the right help to him quickly and efficiently so he or she can go home to their family after their shift, or talking to a suicidal person and calming them down and helping them realize that is not the path they want to take.
Pros
helping people, schedule, coworkers, feeling like my job is important
Cons
working nights, not always being told, "Hey good job"
Best job I've had!!!
Temporary Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 9, 2013
This was my first job, so obviously I had butterflies out of this world, but I ended up loving it. The first day an inmate tried to escape, and I thought this the most exciting thing in the world. Some might consider me strange, but I got my B.A. in Criminology, so this was right up my alley. The only downside to this job was the lack of training. I was just thrown in there, and working in the position required quite a few skills I wasn't used to, so that frustrating. All in all though, it was a great learning experience and I acquired a lot if useful skills in the process.
Pros
compensation, skills learned, pace of work
Cons
Callousness of some workers, lack of training
Consider previous experiences when considering rehires.
Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 21, 2012
Should look to reduce costs through processing as opposed to layoffs with constant program to secure new ideas.