Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Employee Reviews

Gross lack of management structure
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 9, 2016
I worked at HCSO for a little over a year. What I experienced is nothing to brag about. The administrative management is/was in severe need of an overhaul. I am glad that I chose to leave when I did, after our new daughter was born.
Awesome!
Paid Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 18, 2015
Greatest experience ever. Being on the other side with the men and women we count on to protect us everyday is the best. Great experience. You see things that you would never believe. And its a good feeling knowing exactly what going on in your community. And the hours were pretty good, as well as the pay.
there was good work
Forensic Print Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 26, 2015
In the beginning it was good to work there, but now there is mismanagement that is not good to employees. They have much work to do and supervisors yell at employees and not treat them the right way. Work for the agency for nine years and never had any disciplinary action, I was always responsible with the work to the extent of sacrificing my family but ultimately not worth it and I had to resign. I was not the only employee that when through this situation, because others employees have to resign and avoid problems and many of them are not willing to speak about it.
Accounts Payable, Payroll
Accounting Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2015
Professional staff in a well- organized environment, a very nice place to work. I enjoyed the other employees and the variety of work I performed there. They cross train their employees which I think is an advantage, therefore the business will continue to flow smoothly.
Strong Career
Detention Deputy (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 10, 2015
Great place to work, Typical law enforcement career. As with any career in law enforcement, you get the positives out of it that you can, otherwise, it is very taxing and can be stressful if you can't handle the harsh realities of the job.
Demanding on home life
Detention Deputy (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 5, 2015
The job is very demanding on your home life. You work 12 hour shifts but it ends up being about 16 hours a day due to setting up your uniform, preparing your food for the next day and travel time.
Great Career for singles
Detention Deputy (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 3, 2015
Your work day can be similar from day to day but you will never have a boring typical day. Not everyone can handle the demands of the job. Can put a lot of stress on your family.
Pros
Security of job
Cons
Hours
Hillsborough County Sheriff's County
Child Protector Investigator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 29, 2015
I learned to be organized and how to prioritize my time and make the best of it. The management was poor. I used to say too many Chiefs, not enough Indians. My co-workers were excellent to work with, team players. The hardest part of the job was coming from the field and having to type everything in the computer. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to go home to my family.
Pros
Awesome supervisor, great team players, Driving company car.
Cons
Micro manage by upper management.
Professional work environment
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 21, 2015
Very professional work environment. The the atmosphere is very serious and hard work dealing with incarcerated inmates.
Pros
Very Challenging
Cons
Close environment with harden criminals.
Child Protective Investigator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FlApril 1, 2015
Great place to work and would recommend to anyone looking to protect children and help build families. You are able to help children and that is the most rewarding part of the job.
Work environment
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 28, 2015
The work environment as a Law Enforcement or Corrections Officer was challenging on a daily basis. As a Law Enforcement officer your work environment could go from routine to extremely dangerous. I loved the job because it gave me a chance to help my fellow citizens. The only downfall was management was always adding more and more task for deputies to do and it was hard to complete all the task, without running into overtime on many occasions.
Pros
The chance to help my fellow citizens
Cons
Risking your life on occasions to protect yourself, fellow deputies, and citizens.
secure, political work environment
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 13, 2015
what you would expect from a sheriff's office. good insurance and benefits, room for promoting. deputies are not the most fun people to work around.
Law Enforcement Detective
Law Enforcement Detective (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 29, 2015
Law Enforcement Detective for major law enforcement agency. Complex investigations and rewarding work. Everchanging daily work environment and tasks.
Go to TPD
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 16, 2015
Terrible management staff: ever since "Failure to act" SOP, everyone is running scared.. makes for terrible culture that SHOULD be based on trust..
worked as crossing guard for school
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Tampa FloridaNovember 8, 2014
good hours to work, enjoyed working with the children working as a crossing guard.
Hard work, not for everyone
Child Protection Investigator Field Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 8, 2014
I liked working there but the hours are tough and the case load was tougher. I loved the people I worked with but management was occasionally difficult. However, on tough cases, you had support from management and other CPIs.

This job takes a lot of your time, especially in the first few years, due to the learning curve.
Pros
Experience across the board
Cons
long hours, limited holiday time, stressful situations.
Great company
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FlJuly 23, 2014
Place to work if you want to be in Law Enforcement. Great leaders.
"911, What is your emergency?"
Community Service Officer / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 24, 2014
There is no typical day at work when you work at the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. You never know what your next call will be, or what will happen. I learned a great deal of patience and compassion. I've talked to people who have just had their home broken into, parents whose son or daughter hasn't come home, to individuals who want to end their life. And they are calling because they don't feel like they have any other option. Those calls are definately the hardest part of my job. My coworkers are all amazing and each one of us is trained for 6 months or longer to be able to do our job correctly. I'd say the most enjoyable part of my job is when working the radio position, and if deputy keys up and you can tell something isn't right, getting the right help to him quickly and efficiently so he or she can go home to their family after their shift, or talking to a suicidal person and calming them down and helping them realize that is not the path they want to take.
Pros
helping people, schedule, coworkers, feeling like my job is important
Cons
working nights, not always being told, "Hey good job"
Great place to work. Every day you learn something new and have new experiences.
Detention Corporal, Confinement Housing (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 9, 2014
Great place to work and gain insight to what law enforcement and corrections have to deal with on a daily basis. Management requires at least a two year degree and is involved with their employees. Your coworkers are from so many different walks of life and each brings new ideas to the table. Maintaining self control and mental stability is the most difficult self-management aspect of the job. You see and experience situations that most people will never see their entire life. The most enjoyable part of the job is the true friendships that are made. Every day you depend on those you work with it, your life may depend on it!
Pros
Great pay!!!
Cons
Work schedule can interfere with family and any ad-vocations you may enjoy.
Great Agency to work for
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 25, 2013
The Sheriff's Office has been a great place to work at with really good benefits and stability.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office. Our community is ready to answer.

Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office Reviews by Location