Hillside Children's Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Highly stressful and dangerous.
Youth Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYJuly 11, 2018
Compared to the job market the wages are very low. Two years in a row we received no increase in pay. Then it was only a cost of living which did not cover the raising cost of health care premiums.
Pros
Time Off only if approved and not under staffed
Cons
Only if popular with management promotions were possible
Worked at Hillside as a Care Coordinator
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYJune 20, 2018
There was no adequate support from my manager yet She expects me to perform excellently. At first, it seems like a well-organized company but few weeks into my position, I realized the flaw was real,

It was very stressful in a very fast past. If you plan on working here don't forget to check your blood pressure daily.
Pros
You can work from home sometimes to finish the tedious documentations
Cons
Management is very poor.
Don't even try it.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13204May 16, 2018
I would not work there under any circumstance. Trust me when I say the pay is mediocre, the workers are lazy-The children are not listened to and I would not wish for my worst enemy to dwell there.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Literally working there.
ok place to work
counselor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 24, 2018
the company provides paid trainings, paid mileage and a generous paid time off package. u can choose to enroll in 403b savings retirement account. flexible schedule
was an ok place to work
Part- time Kitchen Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYApril 18, 2018
Is a stressful job, have to be able to think on your toes. Advancements vary, they like time in and also degrees. Have to be able to work very effectively with a team.
Knowing you contributed
PC Lab Mgr/ Youth &Family Svc Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 16, 2018
Up on "The Hill" there are residential facilities that house dozens of young people, many of who are deemed "at risk" and some of whom have had truly horrific life experiences in their childhood.
The old term for youth and family services specialist was House Parent; accurate for the impact we had on the lives of those we supervised.
Pros
Awesome teamwork, company versatility
Cons
Sometimes it could be a little stressful
Great Job
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 10, 2018
The bond I have established with not only my caseload, but with many students, has allowed me to make what I believe is a substantial, positive impact on their current & future lives. During my time at HW-SC I have grown tremendously and developed communication, teamwork and leadership skills that I will take with me as I advance within my career.
Disappointing place to work
Clinician 1 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 27, 2018
Hillside's upper management did not seem to support the work of lower level employees. Administratively, Hillside was disorganized and all about the bottom line, not about supporting employees to do the best work possible or supporting clients. I would not recommend working here.
stressful and underpaid
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYMarch 8, 2018
I have worked for Hillside Children's Center for 7 years in a multitude of capacities both full time and relief.
In my current position I have become quite dissatisfied with the leadership as well as the opportunity for advancement. I have felt overworked and underpaid. I only continue to remain here due to the relationships I have with my co-workers and to pay my bills.
Hillside is a great place to work. The agency provides many opportunities for advancement and professional growth.
Director of Family Finding Services (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 24, 2018
Hillside Children's Center is the largest child and family service agency in Upstate NY. Hillside offers excellent benefits, flexible work schedules and opportunities for professional advancement. The organization is a fast-paced, learning organization, with an emphasis on quality services.

Want to know more about Hillside Children's Center?

Ask a question
Under paying job that i use to enjoy
1 Aid/ Youth care Professional (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 30, 2018
I really use to enjoy this job but the politics are to overwhelming as well as there demand of more work with less pay. It takes a special kind of person in this field of work other wise you wont be here long. This is a job where you have to be comfortable knowing what to do other wise you will find yourself in a bad position. It is rewarding by helping kids and seeing powerful reactions. It is the only reason I stayed so long. There are times where you can not use the bathroom because your so busy and you have to eat lunch with the kids.
Pros
Overtime
High Stress and High Rewards
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYJanuary 28, 2018
A typical day at work consists of coming in at 7:30am and hopefully leaving at 3:30pm. There will constantly be chances for you to earn overtime hours while there due to the clientele that you will be working with. However, due to this Clientele and the intake supervisor they make this work difficult to stay at which makes the turnover rate high. I strongly recommend that women stay away from this facility due to the fact that this is a court appointed facility for sexually deviant boys from the ages of 11-21. Even Men find it difficult to stay here. There is a great amount of workplace injury here as well. When the youth don't get their way due to their actions most of the time it results in them throwing a temper tantrum that ends up in staff leaving in an ambulance. It is not a safe environment to work in. However, there are some days that you will find yourself enjoying it and knowing that you made a difference in a youth's life.
Pros
Free Lunches, great supervisor, great team
Cons
little to no job advancement, stressful
Very valuable experience
Senior Youth Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYJanuary 2, 2018
Working at Hillside is high-stress, but rewarding. I learned a great deal about human development and attachment-style caregiving. Unfortnately, there is a culture on the campus of speaking poorly about company policies, which detracts from the experience of working there - you are somewhat alienated from the majority of co-workers if you adhere to policy without complaining. If you don't let this bother you, you can stand out by working to improve the approaches you are taught in trainings.
Toughest job you will ever love
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Greene, NYDecember 19, 2017
By far the most rewarding job I have ever had. A unique and multidisciplinary approach gives everyone the opportunity to make a difference; and we do! Stillwater culture is very small and family like, everyone knows everyone and cares about everyone. I love it here.
Pros
Multidisciplinary treatment, open door policy, family atmosphere
Cons
Very difficult behaviors in residents
It has been too many years.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 5, 2017
I haven't worked there in over 25 years. I am unfamiliar with the workplace environment, as it stands today. I could not give a fair assessment of this company anymore.
Many programs are grant funded so positins change often
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 30, 2017
The work done at Hillside can be challenging mentally and emotionally and sometimes work/life balance is not always a consideration during company changes so program management is very important. There are opportunities for advancement, but as with most employers the ratio of people of color in management positions is very low for such a big company.
The change to corporate also changed the dynamics from family oriented to money management
Pros
Flexibilty, vacation
Cons
Paperwork load
Very stressful job with little to no support from management.
Youth Care Professional 1 (Current Employee) –  Chenango Forks, NYNovember 21, 2017
It is a very stressful place to work, the clients are very abusive and your co-workers are always late or call out often causing you to have to stay late and work countless amounts of overtime.
Pros
Experience orking with troubled youth
Cons
Little pay, lots of over time, long hours, abusive clients
Friendly work enviroment
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 15, 2017
I really loved the staff at Hillside Children's Center. I was able to work with a wide variety of clients and gain a lot of experience. It was eye opening to see the hands on work of a social worker.
Pros
The Staff
Cons
The commute
Rewarding and fun place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 11, 2017
Most rewarding job I had. Worked with foster children & social workers. I was able to help older children get extras from the county. All of the social workers were friendly and compassionate. Everyone was made to feel like family.
Pros
Friendly, compassionate people
Children and Youth Program Assistant
Child and Youth Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAOctober 28, 2017
Greet parents and children upon arriving. Monitor and observe children throughout the day while performing activities that have been planned ahead of time.