Hillside Children's Center Employee Reviews

Knowing you contributed
PC Lab Mgr/ Youth &Family Svc Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 16, 2018
Up on "The Hill" there are residential facilities that house dozens of young people, many of who are deemed "at risk" and some of whom have had truly horrific life experiences in their childhood.
The old term for youth and family services specialist was House Parent; accurate for the impact we had on the lives of those we supervised.
Pros
Awesome teamwork, company versatility
Cons
Sometimes it could be a little stressful
Great Job
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 10, 2018
The bond I have established with not only my caseload, but with many students, has allowed me to make what I believe is a substantial, positive impact on their current & future lives. During my time at HW-SC I have grown tremendously and developed communication, teamwork and leadership skills that I will take with me as I advance within my career.
Disappointing place to work
Clinician 1 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 27, 2018
Hillside's upper management did not seem to support the work of lower level employees. Administratively, Hillside was disorganized and all about the bottom line, not about supporting employees to do the best work possible or supporting clients. I would not recommend working here.
stressful and underpaid
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYMarch 8, 2018
I have worked for Hillside Children's Center for 7 years in a multitude of capacities both full time and relief.
In my current position I have become quite dissatisfied with the leadership as well as the opportunity for advancement. I have felt overworked and underpaid. I only continue to remain here due to the relationships I have with my co-workers and to pay my bills.
Hillside is a great place to work. The agency provides many opportunities for advancement and professional growth.
Director of Family Finding Services (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 24, 2018
Hillside Children's Center is the largest child and family service agency in Upstate NY. Hillside offers excellent benefits, flexible work schedules and opportunities for professional advancement. The organization is a fast-paced, learning organization, with an emphasis on quality services.
Very valuable experience
Senior Youth Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYJanuary 2, 2018
Working at Hillside is high-stress, but rewarding. I learned a great deal about human development and attachment-style caregiving. Unfortnately, there is a culture on the campus of speaking poorly about company policies, which detracts from the experience of working there - you are somewhat alienated from the majority of co-workers if you adhere to policy without complaining. If you don't let this bother you, you can stand out by working to improve the approaches you are taught in trainings.
It has been too many years.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 5, 2017
I haven't worked there in over 25 years. I am unfamiliar with the workplace environment, as it stands today. I could not give a fair assessment of this company anymore.
Many programs are grant funded so positins change often
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 30, 2017
The work done at Hillside can be challenging mentally and emotionally and sometimes work/life balance is not always a consideration during company changes so program management is very important. There are opportunities for advancement, but as with most employers the ratio of people of color in management positions is very low for such a big company.
The change to corporate also changed the dynamics from family oriented to money management
Pros
Flexibilty, vacation
Cons
Paperwork load
Very stressful job with little to no support from management.
Youth Care Professional 1 (Current Employee) –  Chenango Forks, NYNovember 21, 2017
It is a very stressful place to work, the clients are very abusive and your co-workers are always late or call out often causing you to have to stay late and work countless amounts of overtime.
Pros
Experience orking with troubled youth
Cons
Little pay, lots of over time, long hours, abusive clients
Friendly work enviroment
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 15, 2017
I really loved the staff at Hillside Children's Center. I was able to work with a wide variety of clients and gain a lot of experience. It was eye opening to see the hands on work of a social worker.
Pros
The Staff
Cons
The commute
Rewarding and fun place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 11, 2017
Most rewarding job I had. Worked with foster children & social workers. I was able to help older children get extras from the county. All of the social workers were friendly and compassionate. Everyone was made to feel like family.
Pros
Friendly, compassionate people
Children and Youth Program Assistant
Child and Youth Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAOctober 28, 2017
Greet parents and children upon arriving. Monitor and observe children throughout the day while performing activities that have been planned ahead of time.
Great place
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYOctober 17, 2017
Great place to work. Staff are close nit and assist each other as family. Support is provided to the team and many of the staff have been there for a long while
Become an active listener
Youth Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYOctober 11, 2017
I enjoy working with the youth. I've never been afraid of a challenge and appreciate every child I get to meet or help through life. These children just need someone who will listen to them and their problems.
Morally Rewarding
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYAugust 12, 2017
I have really enjoyed working for Hillside Children's Center. It has its ups and downs. The pay for me wasn't too bad. The rate you are paid depends on on your experience and education. I liked working with most of the kids. The staff are another story. The staff tended to be cliquey and rarely interacted outside their circles. You are given weekly supervisions by your supervisor to improve your job performance. Sometimes there is a lot of driving involved if you work in residential. The job can sometimes be very stressful. You deal with kids who have major mental and behavioral issues. This also means that you have a pretty good chance of being hit, bitten, spit on, kicked and so on. Overall it was a good experience but I don't believe it's a forever job for me.
Pros
The kids, paid time off, overtime pay, understanding managers
Cons
Altercations with kids, driving, long hours, stress
An agency with a great vision
Clinician I (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYAugust 3, 2017
A typical day is spent with the kids where you support and supervise daily activities. I learned a lot about working on a team and the struggles that come with that. The agency itself has a great vision on what it would like to accomplish, but the workplace culture near the bottom is very negative. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the staff. The children are the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Flexible schedule, make your own hours a lot, your own office
Cons
Negative staff, ineffective staff, pay is on the low end
Very poor and unprofessional.
NYS Certified Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYJuly 12, 2017
Very poorly managed and stressful environment. The advancement potential was limited,and the supervisory personnel were not qualified or competent to be in their respective roles.
Former employee, Batavia NY
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJuly 1, 2017
The staff is very burnout but wonderful. The management team is terrible, they will not listen if you have concerns. High turn over rate in employees. As well the Program director has the this is the way it is attitude.

If you express concerns, the Human Resources Department does not listen.
management
Care Coordinator III & Community-based Manager (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYJune 27, 2017
I would like to share that as a former Manager, I gained several years of learning opportunities that strengthened my overall career. I enjoyed the management level, as I felt I was able to make a difference.
Okay place
Youth Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Varick NYJune 22, 2017
It depends on what unit you work on. Some supervisors are better than others. They care about their employees and make sure you're satisfied. Higher ups in the company don't really care about employees. HR is usually good with returning phone calls.
Pros
Quarterly raise
Cons
Under staffed