Hillside Children's Center Employee Reviews

Poor workplace
YCP I (Former Employee) –  Chenango Forks, NYNovember 13, 2018
Clueless and unsupportive management and administration, abusive kids who learn more destructive tactics from peers, random spectrum of residents that doesn’t make sense under one roof, long hours dealing with constant crisis, little to no allowable defense mechanisms when being beaten up by residents. Pay is not decided fairly and not enough for what you go through.
Not a bad place
Teachers Assitant III (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYNovember 1, 2018
Depending on what youth you had and what supervisor really had an impact on your view of the job. Some days are a real struggle because you will deal with the same youth all day. However, there are a lot of positives as well when they are behaving appropriately.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner. Build good communication skills.
Cons
Stressful
Awful
YCP 1 (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYOctober 17, 2018
Management allows the children to run the place. Staff are treated as disposable and not respected. The turnover rate is insane, due to poor treatment of staff by kids and management alike.
Don't work here if you have both brains and a heart.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 16, 2018
HFA is strictly all business. This agency does the bare minimum to support/treat the youth living there and gives even less support to the few caring and hardworking employees still putting their time.

Youth are placed into unfit facilities/cottages, were they then fail to gain the proper skills and knowledge needed to become a positive addition in today’s society. The youth have no respect for their peers and even less respect for their staff; unless they are a larger, male and seem threatening.

As mentioned above, HFA lacks employee appreciation for those who actually attempt to do their job and genuinely care for the residents in their care. Upper management has awful communication skills & continuously nitpicks and criticizes their workers on issues that are very miniscule and overlooks the more important issues. Issues such as: employee health (physical & mental), making sure ALL employees are working up to standard and have ALL required qualifications for their position, and constantly being understaffed & out of legal ratio.

HFA does start employees off at a higher rate than many other residential living agencies in the area, but don’t expect to get a decent raise any time soon & those who are hired after you are most likely making more hourly than you with less qualifications. (such as not being TCI, AED/CPR/First Aid, or med. pass certified)

If you enjoy working a ton of overtime, not having a social life, living paycheck-to-paycheck, and constantly being belittled by others… Hillside is the place for you!
Pros
Health Benefits & PTO
Cons
read above statement
Engaging with youth, supportive to staff
Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Varick, NYOctober 9, 2018
Working with youth's trauma and their resulting behaviors is often stressful. Providing staff guidance and support is a main focus. Training and continuing to educate staff in understanding and believing in the CARE (Children and Residential Experiences) model; helping them to teach skills, work with the youth on their goals can be rewarding.
A fun, flexible position though the pay was less than fair
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 23, 2018
hillside was a flexible organization to work for but the pay is well below what was earned. There are opportunities for advancement within. It can be somewhat stressful at times.
Pros
flexible, friendly
Cons
low pay
good place if fresh out of college
Social therapist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 20, 2018
Good stepping stone job, not good if you are looking to advance or work normal work hours, very stressful place to work due to the extreme behaviors of the children, really great place to work as 1st job right out of school, you will appreciate future jobs!
good learning experience
DSP1 (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 18, 2018
This was overall a good learning experience. They were good about being flexible with schedules and school. I gained a lot of experience and it was a good stepping stone in understanding various challenges children struggle with.
It was a great experience
Teacher's assistant /behavioral support (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 12, 2018
I enjoy my supervisor the teacher I was working with some of the co-workers were really polite and nice we all work as a team. We were able to teach the kids different tools on how to cope with behavior
Pros
I was able to able students and build relationships with them
Cons
I was too many people calling the justice center for the wrong
Decent Place to work
Youth Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYJuly 29, 2018
If you are up for the job, its not a bad place to work. The people are great and the job itself can be incredibly rewarding when you learn the skills you need to do it. Also working with the at-risk teens is such a great experience especially when watching them excel.
Could be stressful at times.
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 23, 2018
Hillside was an okay place to work. Management supported you for the most part. There were times when management did not offer support. There would be times where you would be left alone with 8-10 kids.
Pros
Unlimited overtime.
Cons
Lack of support.
Highly stressful and dangerous.
Youth Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYJuly 11, 2018
Compared to the job market the wages are very low. Two years in a row we received no increase in pay. Then it was only a cost of living which did not cover the raising cost of health care premiums.
Pros
Time Off only if approved and not under staffed
Cons
Only if popular with management promotions were possible
Worked at Hillside as a Care Coordinator
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYJune 20, 2018
There was no adequate support from my manager yet She expects me to perform excellently. At first, it seems like a well-organized company but few weeks into my position, I realized the flaw was real,

It was very stressful in a very fast past. If you plan on working here don't forget to check your blood pressure daily.
Pros
You can work from home sometimes to finish the tedious documentations
Cons
Management is very poor.
fun work environment and great people to work with
Care Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJune 18, 2018
very fast pace with some down time, everyday is different but you have a ton of support. Great work place and management is always a great support and communication is key!!
Don't even try it.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13204May 16, 2018
I would not work there under any circumstance. Trust me when I say the pay is mediocre, the workers are lazy-The children are not listened to and I would not wish for my worst enemy to dwell there.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Literally working there.
ok place to work
counselor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 24, 2018
the company provides paid trainings, paid mileage and a generous paid time off package. u can choose to enroll in 403b savings retirement account. flexible schedule
was an ok place to work
Part- time Kitchen Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYApril 18, 2018
Is a stressful job, have to be able to think on your toes. Advancements vary, they like time in and also degrees. Have to be able to work very effectively with a team.
Knowing you contributed
PC Lab Mgr/ Youth &Family Svc Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 16, 2018
Up on "The Hill" there are residential facilities that house dozens of young people, many of who are deemed "at risk" and some of whom have had truly horrific life experiences in their childhood.
The old term for youth and family services specialist was House Parent; accurate for the impact we had on the lives of those we supervised.
Pros
Awesome teamwork, company versatility
Cons
Sometimes it could be a little stressful
Great Job
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 10, 2018
The bond I have established with not only my caseload, but with many students, has allowed me to make what I believe is a substantial, positive impact on their current & future lives. During my time at HW-SC I have grown tremendously and developed communication, teamwork and leadership skills that I will take with me as I advance within my career.
Disappointing place to work
Clinician 1 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 27, 2018
Hillside's upper management did not seem to support the work of lower level employees. Administratively, Hillside was disorganized and all about the bottom line, not about supporting employees to do the best work possible or supporting clients. I would not recommend working here.