Hillside Family of Agencies Employee Reviews

very balanced skill setting.
School Janitor (apprenticeship) (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYMarch 25, 2019
The job was great for my skill setting and they explained everything in a clear manner. They work very hard to keep the schools clean. The job also celebrated birthdays and threw parties when your apprenticeship was terminated.
Pros
The job had not very many people applying for it
Cons
The rooms would get really hot
Great time of my life
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 18, 2019
Worked at the OCFS unit for years, great culture and working environment. Leadership was awesome, able to grow within the agency and move up in position and pay rather fast. Just a blessing
Training and most supervisors are top notch
Family Advocate, Special Needs Supports (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 3, 2019
I have never worked in such a supportive environment with such thorough training before starting the actual work. Training time is paid and vacation time is generous. Excellent work/life balance. Stressful work with challenging families.
Educational and communicative
Youth Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 26, 2019
This job involved kids that have behavioral and mental health issues so you have to make sure your adjusting to each child properly. The goal was to make sure these kids lived in a safe and healthy environment.
My immediate location was great and had fantastic people to work with.
HOMEFIND/TRAINING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 30, 2019
Overall, this was a great place to work. Co-workers were awesome and willing to help. Management didn't realize how hard people work and did not compensate with salaries.
Love working with students
Youth Advocate I (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 3, 2019
You get to build relationships with students and watch them grow into college ready young adults. Getting to watch them grow into the people they're going to be is truly rewarding.
Limited Advancement Opportunities
Staff (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 1, 2019
Advancement is based on who you know and are friendly with at Hillside.

There has been a lot of change at Hillside recently from the CEO (not trustworthy or staff friendly), Executives and managers who do not know the programs, etc.

Direct care staff are let go to trim costs instead of larger administrative departments.

Salaries do not increase at the rate the cost of insurance do yearly.

Culture keeps getting addressed and money spent on it, yet nothing changes
No support from upper management
YCP1 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 25, 2018
Hillside allows the youth to do anything and the upper management does not support the staff in these situation. Hillside can be a fun job on the other hand. When things are good they are GREAT, but when things are bad they are TERRIBLE.
Hard, challenging work, low pay
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 18, 2018
If you are ok with trying to convince kids who don't really like school to invest more time in their school effort, become a Youth Advocate. As you will hear regularly from management, the work they do is noble, to be sure. But you will get paid little and asked to help 35 kids on your caseload achieve academic success. If a student cannot improve their grades, you are stuck with them, because management does not want to hurt their numbers by terminating them from the program. My managers line to us was always "I'm down the hall if you need me." Not helpful. Being inside schools daily is very stressful. You may feel like window dressing for school administrators, just there largely for appearance sake. If you go for the Youth Advocate position, be sure to recruit kids who halfway like school and get decent-ish grades, otherwise your job will be very difficult. Upper management has recently undergone a number of changes, and their funding has been reduced as well.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Snow days?, high turnover, disconnected managers
Help support staff (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 10, 2018
I enjoy my work and the people I work with and for. I have had many good experiences while working at Hillside, that have helped me to grow in my profession. I learned a lot about customer service and various training. At Hillside you go through continual training to improve your work attitude, and awareness of others around you.
Pros
Excellent benefits, and Management
Cons
Stressful situations somtimes dealing with the youth.
It was a good place to work
Recovery Coordinator Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 30, 2018
I would work at Hillside but I would never work for Hillside work-Scholarship again. They always made you feel like you had not job security . The was also no real room for growth
like my job
DSP3 Medical Liaison (Current Employee) –  Clarence, NYNovember 26, 2018
don't like the company. Management does what benefits them and not the workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the individuals. The hardest part is not being appreciated. Work place culture is good vast variety of culture. Busy day paperwork and appointments.
ok
TEACHER'S ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYNovember 25, 2018
it has good hours and a set schedule (if you work in the school). plenty of paid time off given. pay is okay, but not really work what you put up with. Great benefits. have to have strong will power and dominant personality to put up with the job. you have to also remember to leave the work stuff at work. its hard with this job because it effects your every day life.
Mixed Bag
Non-Direct Support (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 24, 2018
Each department is pretty compartmentalized. Supervisors can be great or terrible. In some departments, really bad managers are allowed to stay in their roles, despite multiple complaints from multiple people. It is kind of a grab bag as to the competence of managers.
Pros
Sense of mission, great vacation time
Cons
Management is all over the place
Rewarding
Specialized Hall Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYOctober 24, 2018
Working with the youth can be rewarding. Seeing youth get better and leave placement was the best part of my experience workinget at Hillside.
Unfortunately there is a lot of turn over, they are in need of staff that want to commit to the youth. This is not a job that you go to just for a paycheck. There are days that can be difficult, but many more that are rewarding.
Pros
Pay is nit bad, overtime availabke at all times if wanted.
Cons
Lots if turnover
Very understanding management
Program Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 18, 2018
Hillside is a place where family comes first. I was able to balance life as a single parent and my job thanks to the caring staff. I absolutely loved every person I came into contact with. I worked with social workers, who were often overstressed and underpaid but valued their role in society and really cared about the people they visited on a regular basis. The most difficult part of the job for me was hearing and reading about the horrible situations children encounter. I also found that typing data into a computer eight hours a day with very few breaks (I had very short deadlines) made my eyesight worse and was not something I found very engaging or challenging.
Pros
Caring management
Cons
low pay
ok place to work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYSeptember 21, 2018
They provide competitive wages which is a plus. There is room for advancement. job can be stressful but it is also very rewarding making a difference in individuals lives.
Workplace has both pros and cons
Supervises staff during shifts as Shift Charge (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 15, 2018
Job security is not the greatest because it is a non-profit organization and generates revenue from government funding on the basis of client referrals. Working in direct care is very challenging and is not for the weak--therefore, job advancement is frequent and easily attainable if you work hard and stick the job out for at least a year, however.
Great company
Youth Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYSeptember 10, 2018
Amazing working environment, great staff, great understanding manager, career advancement opportunity, great company doing amazing thing for our community.
HIllside
Youth Advcate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 18, 2018
I worked with great students, the agency itself works hard to support community needs. This position offered me a chance to learn and mode the my career path. I am thankful for that.