Hillstone Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Loved my job!
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 11, 2018
I love Houston's to this day. I got along with everyone and had to work hard every shift. That is the expectation and culture there :) My boss(GM) Jaison is a hard worker and we got along so well as we have the same work ethic. If you work hard and do a great job, the company will take care of you. Nothing is easy in life and free. As long as you like structured working environment, this is your place. But if you like to take it easy at your work, this must not be a right place for you or you will not likely hired in the first place.
Perfect job to make bank... if you don't mind selling your soul.
Server (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMay 24, 2018
The one thing you'll hear from EVERYONE who works at Hillstone is that the money is great. And frankly, it is. As a server you can easily pull in $200+ on an average night shift, sometimes upwards of $300. That might make you salivate just reading that, but hold on. It's not all sunshine and dollar signs at Hillstone Restaurant. After a competitive, but thorough, interview process, you will begin your training and quickly realize that the management is, without a doubt, the worst you have ever encountered. From its lack of positive reinforcement, to its dramatic outbursts and banter, Hillstone's managerial staff is chaotic and headstrong. There may be some who can shoulder their packs and trudge on, but I refuse to be belittled, used up, and run down like a workhorse just for some easy cash.
Pros
Easy money, pleasant coworkers, unlimited hours.
Cons
Weak management, no work/life balance.
Make that money
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 14, 2018
Great place to work if you want to make regular money and lots of it. Must work hard and be competitive with your co-workers to get the best sections.
Pros
tips
Cons
micromanage
Never a dull moment
Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2018
Working at Hillstone Restaurant is a privilege and also a burden at times. They only hire individuals who do well with teamwork, can handle immense amounts of stress and can multitask easily. Having this job teaches you quite a lot about yourself.
The way the company runs is extremely efficient and smart. However, like most food service industry jobs, the respect you're paid isn't always the highest. You're essentially a cog in their machine. But a well paid cog.
Overall, this job is excellent in terms of compensation and restaurant experience. Just expect some exhaustion.
Pros
Great pay, discounts on meals
Good Company Overall
Greeter (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 22, 2018
Hillstone is about as straight to the point as it gets. The culture is great as most people who work there are very positive, upbeat, and helpful. However, this isn't the case for all locations. After working at one location for 4 months and transferring to a new store, my view of the company changed. I no longer felt as welcomed or felt I had the same amount of help from my coworkers as I did at my previous location. The pay is wonderful though.
Pros
pay, discount
Cons
short break
Hillstone is a machine
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2018
Learned so much about business. Great training program, relocation, and pay but you work for single cent. They invest in profit not people. High turnover in management. Wouldn't recommend if you have a family or work/life balance is a priority.
Pros
Free meals, great pay
Cons
No scheduled breaks, performance evaluation, limited growth
ok until its not
Host/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2018
Refused my raise after 5 years of service. The customer always comes first, so very little regard for employees. Having customers yell at me and was difficult but expected bc people were very entitled.
Pros
great food
Cons
no 15 minute breaks
Productive and encouraging place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 6, 2018
Well run company with attention to detail.

They well qualified people that care about what they are doing.

Management is trained well and are an asset to the company.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
Pros
Serving with benefits
Cons
Can be stressful
Well organized and great environment for teamwork
Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 17, 2018
This is a well organized company that cares about its employees at all levels of employment. It teaches you how to stay organized in a fast passed environment as well as teaches the importance of consolidating needs and requests while paying attention to detail. This company has very high standards and is a great company to work for if you are a driven individual that believes in customer satisfaction. Loved my coworkers, owner, and the quests.
Pros
freindly environment, well organized
Cons
open most holidays
great pay
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 18, 2018
hillstone pays you very well. on the other hand it is a highly stressful and fast pace job. it is very demanding physically and mentally. Great opportunity for advancement
Best Job I Ever Had
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 23, 2017
This company has a good reputation for a reason, they are beyond reasonable, talented in their craft, incredible culture, and organization of corporate departments. I had the best work-life balance, pay, benefits, and genuinely loved my job and the people I worked directly with. The company is highly regarded in the industry, so feel extremely lucky to be apart of any aspect of the restaurant group. I learned SO much due to the detail-oriented culture Hillstone is known for. Since the restaurant group is still privately held, the company operates like a family-owned business on a corporate scale. I interned with the company in college and was offered a position upon graduation, which required a relocation to the west coast and ended up being the reason I left.

I love this company and will hopefully go back in a few years! No other position is comparable to the position I had at Hillstone.
Pros
Free food, great benefits, travel for position, great colleagues, detail-oriented culture, great feedback on performance, training.
Cons
Relocation seems to be the only issue
Strong focus on teamwork and high standards. Very successful high-volume restaurants.
TRAINER/ BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 1, 2018
Very successful high-volume restaurants. Potential to earn high paying tips. Restaurant is ran like a corporation but not is not a corporation. Discounts for you, friends and family. Accommodating but strict management. Very difficult to pass training. Strong focus on teamwork and high standards.
Pros
Great team environment. Potential to earn high paying tips.
Cons
Must act much like a robot, does not encourage their workers to show their individulaity.
Highly Structured, Extremely Sexist
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLMarch 15, 2018
Pros:
Compensation is decent.
Typically great personality among staff
Delicious food
Highly structured

Cons:
Work/life balance is nonexistent - they own you.
Their expectations are very clear.
No 401(k)
Great pay very cutthroat
Server (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 4, 2018
The pay here is very high due to high tips. Management is borderline unbearable and extremely inconsiderate. Days off are almosty impossible and you are watched under a scrutenous eye 24/7. Write ups are given out for simple mistakes. The pay makes you forget about management at times and the crew is a group of great people.
Pros
High pay
Cons
Sometimes no breaks, management
Quick summary
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 28, 2018
Hillstone is a great company if you are looking for something serious. They are busy restaurants, and the management and staff are there to work hard. It can be a hard work envirnment, but the payoff is large
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAOctober 20, 2018
Was a really fun place to work. Hours were amazing and my coworkers were fantastic. We were one big team, always helping each other out and having fun while doing it. Everyone was very hard working.
Good money but will steal your soul
Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Very fast paced, horrible management. Good money but hardly worth it at times. Great people work there overall, though - you will make some good friends.
Pros
50% off at any location, really good money in tips, mostly great co-workers
Cons
horrible management, stressful beyond reason, lack of respect for work/life balance
Hillstone team
Greeter/ Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2018
I was a great experience to work with Hillstone team. The workers are always energized and ready to help each other and the customers, in which they are the priority.
Great Growth Opportunities, Stressful Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
At Hillstone it's possible for managers to be promoted to GM within 2 years. It's a company that has great growth opportunities, if you take advantage of it. It's a very fast-paced environment that doesn't tolerate mistakes and does not value work-life balance. However, if you are passionate about the work and hospitality, it is worth the lack of work-life balance. If not, it can be the most difficult job to handle.
Pros
Complementary meals, competitive salary
Cons
No work-life balance, cut-throat environment
Good money, bad management, overworked
Server (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 10, 2017
I've been a server before... They work the life out of you. You're an absolute work horse to the company. Wait your tables constants side work and teamwork. If you happen to go to the back of the house you must do something and tell them what you are doing at all times. You begin to feel like a robot. Teamwork is a very big deal to them. You get paid well but after all that you do each shift sometimes it doesn't seem worth it. Management is very disorganized. Also, It seems as though you can't tell which one is coming and which one is going. There's a huge turn over rate.
Training is a bit of a mess but everyone will keep telling you how worth the money it will be when you finish. Very motivating? Not. They do not value their servers at all.
Pros
Free/discounted food, good money, nice coworkers
Cons
No benefits, bad management, training