HINSHAW & CULBERTSON Employee Reviews

Don’t bother
Employee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
This place is a joke. If you want to be treated like a number and not a human being apply. They de-value and disrespect their staff members. I wouldn't bother wasting my time here as an attorney either. Your reward for doing a good job is more work without compensation. The management has no clue what they are doing. An IT person who has no idea how to run a law firm is in charge and hiring all of her out-of-work friends and giving them titles and bonuses they do not deserve while neglecting to give any current employees raises. The new management has been driving the firm into the ground and it will be very surprising if the firm makes it another three years. The entire HR dept has either been fired from their previous jobs or were about to lose their jobs. Forget if you are having an IT issue. “Call the Help Desk” more like the helpless desk.
Great working environment
Assistant to Two Partners (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
I enjoyed my stay with Hinshaw and if I had it to do over again I never would have left. I enjoy keeping busy and one of the attorneys I assisted left the firm and he was a heavy producer and I had not work after he left. It became hard to come to work as I had no work to look forward to. The associates I was assigned to did not put out nearly the amount of work that he did. I had to try to make myself look busy and I am not very good at that. I went looking for something with a steady work flow. If I could I would hold out and wait for my desk to pick up instead of leaving. Management was good, co-workers good. Overall a pleasant working environment.
Pros
Free breakfast every Friday and nice luncheons from time-to-time
Amazing coworkers and structure
LITIGATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 21, 2018
Everything about the office in Peoria makes it a great place to work. The office manager does a wonderful job at managing the office and making everyone feel like a valued employee.
Challenging job, nice people.
Senior AR/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
Challenging job working with a lot of intelligent and knowledgeable people. Staff was very amenable and enjoyable to be around. A little heavy on the politics.
Pros
Free breakfast on Fridays.
Cons
Too Political.
Hostile Work Environment Created by Management
Litigation/Investigative Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 1, 2018
The culture is so cutthroat and the billable time is cut so badly by the client and accepted by upper corporate management that it creates a hostile work environment between attorneys and each other as well as between attorneys and their paralegals. It also creates undue pressure on non-billable staff when attorneys have them perform tasks that they are not prepared or educated to perform so that the attorneys can take their time as well as the paralegals' time. Attorneys are not trained how to handle staff and it's who you know in order to get promoted.

On the other hand, it is par for the course at EVERY law firm where the bottom line is billing and they "say" work/life balance is everything. It is, to the attorneys ONLY.
Associates were great; managing partner was horrible to work for.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 15, 2017
Didn't like you to have a life outside the office. New kid(s) on block would get all blame if something went wrong. Started off great but lose a case that is unwinnable (on appeal) and they question your degree and experience. Case load was manageable but so many rules (can't do depo summary until 2 weeks before trial no matter how many depos there are; can't bill more than 1.5 hours for plaintiff, 3 for expert no matter how long the depo is - near impossible) all while preparing trial exhibits and keeping up with other case load. Didn't want overtime but had to get it all done another near impossible feat. There two years just couldn't deal with it any longer.
Pros
Jeans and nice Christmas party.
Cons
Managing partner
Ok place to work
Partner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2017
Hinshaw plays "favorites". And that's frustrating because many hard working and smart attorneys are overlooked.

Hinshaw should emphasize merits over "who you know."
Maintaining billable hours was key.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLApril 28, 2017
I was originally hired as defense secretary when firm received over 2000 class action asbestos suits so my original job description changed.

I felt that it was very important to mai rain your billable hour quota.
First rate Firm with terrific people and wide array of practice areas.
Attorney (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2017
Hinshaw is a top law firm in Chicago with offices nationwide. The variety of practice areas make it an ideal firm for any attorney and the people make it a special place to work.
Great place to work!
Conflicts Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2017
Awesome place to work! I have a wonderful manager and the firm very good benefits. Overall this is very nice place to work.
Depends on who you work for (some good, some bad)
Legal Assistant/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Downtown Los AngelesJuly 21, 2016
Average place to work. Nothing special. No Christmas bonus. No real Christmas party. Company offers bare minimum to keep employees. Lets older people go. Gearing towards a younger firm. We are in the second year of the merger. There are a lot of rules, but I guess that goes along with being a large firm. If you are having problems with an attorney, there is no way to move around within the branch offices as they are too small and specialized (unlike a firm like O'Melveny & Myers). Home office is clueless about litigation work in Los Angeles.
Pros
Good vacation package.
Cons
Nothing is special about this employer.
Great Place to Work
Paralegal/ Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  MiamiOctober 2, 2015
I really enjoyed working at this firm. I learned a lot. Went to court. Attended depositions. Learned research and how to write briefs. Great environment.
Layed back law firm
Conflict Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IlSeptember 30, 2015
Very pleasant environment. Little bit out of date on some procedures. Great compensation package. Somewhat cliquish.
Pros
Massages
Best place to work
Receptionist / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 21, 2015
You are treated with amazing respect, everyone looks out for one another, training is great, a lot of growth to move up, and they are willing to help you if you need to move to another state to relocate and keep you with the company
Great company to work for excellent benefits
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 31, 2015
It is great to work for this company, my office is like a family based workplace. The location I work in is comprised of a different ethnic groups which provides diversity. The hardest part of my job now if the about of miles I travel to work, I have been doing it for 5 year and it is taking a toll on me.
Pros
Attorney brings breakfast each Friday morning. Great benefits
Productive day at work.
Accounts Receivable Supervisor, Eastern Region (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the day at work is to assist the attorneys with their receivables. Setting up a quick meeting prior contacting the client can be important and helpful, since every client/account has a different story. Being a positive and reliable employee is beneficial to my colleagues as they know they may count on me for assistance or guidance. At typical day at the firm consist of speaking with clients,colleagues, office managers, and attorneys. Aside from answering and researching emails to handle. This is were multitasking comes handy, however, one must be careful to pay close attentions to a project this is important. Not having enough time in the day to complete every task, email, and/or reconciliation would probably be the hardest thing to leave behind for the actual work day.
Pros
Developing relationships with clients, colleagues and managements is my specialty, since I feel I can communicate with them well
Poor
Senior AR/Bill Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2014
Very stressful work environment.

Poor management, including considerable nepotism.

The co-workers were great and very helpful. The attorneys were very intelligent and very nice to work with.

The benefits were very good and the firm had a marvelous culture all its own. It felt like working in a small firm, when in fact, the firm is very large.

Aside from the management, it was really a nice place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great benefits, some really nice people.
Cons
Poor, ill equipped management staff.
Inclusive work environment
Associate Attorney (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 10, 2013
The hardest part of my job is to obtain projects from different partners to be involved in various practice areas.
Worst Career Choice
. (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2012
I have never experienced a place where people are quick to talk about you behind your back, yell profanity in the office, tell lies about one another, and backstab. The dress code was seldom followed which allowed people to wear short skirts and t-shirts with holes and stains. The office manager didn’t have a backbone and should not have been allowed to tell support staff why an employee was out of the office. Everyone hid behind closed doors and emails. Compensation was a joke. They will never treat you will respect and never show any sort of appreciation for hard work and dedication. Stay away!
Loved this place
Docket/Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2012
Opportunities to advance & compensation are great, LOVED this place.
Pros
everything