HINSHAW & CULBERTSON Employee Reviews

Amazing Co-Workers
RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLDecember 6, 2018
Everyone has a bad day, but all my co-workers are amazing people with beautiful hearts. The legal assistance always make time to show you something that you might need to learn. So over all is not a bad place to work.
Pros
Free breakfast every Friday and amazing benefits
Poor Management
Conflicts Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 25, 2018
The workplace culture was horrible. There was a lot of micromanagement, no real learning opportunities, no mentor program, no growth, wages were not competitive with other firms their size. Poor motivation.

The hardest part of the job was being around disgruntled employees who felt they were expected to do a lot of work for very little pay. There was always constant complaining and very little motivation.
Pros
Free breakfast on Fridays
Cons
Poor Management, no competitive pay, lack of communication, no growth or development programs.
Loved working for the company
Administrative Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 10, 2018
There were many opportunities at Hinshaw & Culbertson, I like the different sections of law in which I worked and all but one of the attorneys I was assigned to. One attorney was a bully, hostile, rude and she was kept on because she was a Partner even though a few of her clients reading her emails to me requested that she apologize for the way she was treating and ended up dismissing her as their attorney. I ended up leaving the Company because it caused me chest pains each time I dealt with her and even though I was reassigned to other attorneys she continued. After I left the firm she was fired for doing the same thing to another worker all because she wanted to bring her old paralegal from her old firm.
Pros
Benefits property was great
Cons
JOb was more than 200 miles from my home so I spend only 2 days in my home each week.
Good and stable enviroment
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 7, 2018
Good structure. Fair to staff across the board. Management listens and is supportive. I would return if the opportunity presented itself. Overall, great place to work.
Fast paced, stressful
Legal Secretary/Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 6, 2018
I love the company. My reason for wanting to leave is based on my interaction and dealings with one person only, my boss and her treatment of me. Everyone else is great and easy to work with.
Pros
Good pay, time off and benefits
Cons
Just my boss
everyone worked well together
Receptionist/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 5, 2018
Working at this office was like working with family. Everyone got along and helped each other out. They were always giving praise to all of their employees. They said "thank you", "your doing a great job" it is something that I had never had at any other job
Pros
Christmas parties, bonus, praise
Cons
time crunch for trials
Don’t bother
Employee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
This place is a joke. If you want to be treated like a number and not a human being apply. They de-value and disrespect their staff members. I wouldn't bother wasting my time here as an attorney either. Your reward for doing a good job is more work without compensation. The management has no clue what they are doing. An IT person who has no idea how to run a law firm is in charge and hiring all of her out-of-work friends and giving them titles and bonuses they do not deserve while neglecting to give any current employees raises. The new management has been driving the firm into the ground and it will be very surprising if the firm makes it another three years. The entire HR dept has either been fired from their previous jobs or were about to lose their jobs. Forget if you are having an IT issue. “Call the Help Desk” more like the helpless desk.
Senior Management Doesn't Care about the Little Guy
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 7, 2018
Benefits are great here, but senior management plays favorites. Initially it was a great place to work, but office politics and the daily drama with the natural stress of the job made it very unenjoyable in the end.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Senior Management doesn't care about the little guy
Great working environment
Assistant to Two Partners (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
I enjoyed my stay with Hinshaw and if I had it to do over again I never would have left. I enjoy keeping busy and one of the attorneys I assisted left the firm and he was a heavy producer and I had not work after he left. It became hard to come to work as I had no work to look forward to. The associates I was assigned to did not put out nearly the amount of work that he did. I had to try to make myself look busy and I am not very good at that. I went looking for something with a steady work flow. If I could I would hold out and wait for my desk to pick up instead of leaving. Management was good, co-workers good. Overall a pleasant working environment.
Pros
Free breakfast every Friday and nice luncheons from time-to-time
Best place I've ever worked at.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2018
Hinshaw was one of the nicest places I have worked at. The people the culture and the benefits were amazing. I would return to Hinshaw & Culbertson or recommend anyone to work there without a second thought.
Pros
Great work environment.
Amazing coworkers and structure
LITIGATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 21, 2018
Everything about the office in Peoria makes it a great place to work. The office manager does a wonderful job at managing the office and making everyone feel like a valued employee.
Challenging job, nice people.
Senior AR/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
Challenging job working with a lot of intelligent and knowledgeable people. Staff was very amenable and enjoyable to be around. A little heavy on the politics.
Pros
Free breakfast on Fridays.
Cons
Too Political.
Hostile Work Environment Created by Management
Litigation/Investigative Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 1, 2018
The culture is so cutthroat and the billable time is cut so badly by the client and accepted by upper corporate management that it creates a hostile work environment between attorneys and each other as well as between attorneys and their paralegals. It also creates undue pressure on non-billable staff when attorneys have them perform tasks that they are not prepared or educated to perform so that the attorneys can take their time as well as the paralegals' time. Attorneys are not trained how to handle staff and it's who you know in order to get promoted.

On the other hand, it is par for the course at EVERY law firm where the bottom line is billing and they "say" work/life balance is everything. It is, to the attorneys ONLY.
Best Firm I've ever worked at
Cashier (part-time/weekends) (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301January 16, 2018
The company overall is an awesome company to work for. It has numerous opportunities to advance with-in the company. And the quarterly meetings were really fun and informational.
Associates were great; managing partner was horrible to work for.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 15, 2017
Didn't like you to have a life outside the office. New kid(s) on block would get all blame if something went wrong. Started off great but lose a case that is unwinnable (on appeal) and they question your degree and experience. Case load was manageable but so many rules (can't do depo summary until 2 weeks before trial no matter how many depos there are; can't bill more than 1.5 hours for plaintiff, 3 for expert no matter how long the depo is - near impossible) all while preparing trial exhibits and keeping up with other case load. Didn't want overtime but had to get it all done another near impossible feat. There two years just couldn't deal with it any longer.
Pros
Jeans and nice Christmas party.
Cons
Managing partner
Enjoyed working here for the last 18+ years
Legal Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WINovember 1, 2017
I worked as a receptionist since November 2013. I was responsible for all the administrative duties in the office, including answering phones, greeting clients, etc. At one point as receptionist I also worked for 2 attorneys. It was a nice place to work - all staff/attorneys got along real well. I assisted wherever I was needed. Benefits/vacation/hours were great.
Pros
Hours and vacation
Stressful.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 21, 2017
Even though it was very stressful but I enjoyed working there. Everyone is pleasant. I would do anything to go back there. I really miss my job and everyone.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Stressful
I love working at Hinshaw & Culbertson
Deposition Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2017
I worked in the Deposition department and had great work ethics with my coworkers. The attorney's and the atomsphere was so wonderful. I still hate to this day that I left Hinshaw & Culberston.
Pros
Work hours great, Vacation time great. Christmas parties Awesome. Coworkers very friendly.
Cons
salary
Ok place to work
Partner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2017
Hinshaw plays "favorites". And that's frustrating because many hard working and smart attorneys are overlooked.

Hinshaw should emphasize merits over "who you know."
Fun work environment with great management
Summer Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2017
I loved working for Hinshaw and Culbertson LLP. The management is very organized and provides a great work environment. I still was fortunate enough to work there during school breaks.
Pros
Workplace environment