HINSHAW & CULBERTSON Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Best place I've ever worked at.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2018
Hinshaw was one of the nicest places I have worked at. The people the culture and the benefits were amazing. I would return to Hinshaw & Culbertson or recommend anyone to work there without a second thought.
Pros
Great work environment.
Amazing coworkers and structure
LITIGATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 21, 2018
Everything about the office in Peoria makes it a great place to work. The office manager does a wonderful job at managing the office and making everyone feel like a valued employee.
Challenging job, nice people.
Senior AR/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
Challenging job working with a lot of intelligent and knowledgeable people. Staff was very amenable and enjoyable to be around. A little heavy on the politics.
Pros
Free breakfast on Fridays.
Cons
Too Political.
Hostile Work Environment Created by Management
Litigation/Investigative Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 1, 2018
The culture is so cutthroat and the billable time is cut so badly by the client and accepted by upper corporate management that it creates a hostile work environment between attorneys and each other as well as between attorneys and their paralegals. It also creates undue pressure on non-billable staff when attorneys have them perform tasks that they are not prepared or educated to perform so that the attorneys can take their time as well as the paralegals' time. Attorneys are not trained how to handle staff and it's who you know in order to get promoted.

On the other hand, it is par for the course at EVERY law firm where the bottom line is billing and they "say" work/life balance is everything. It is, to the attorneys ONLY.
Associates were great; managing partner was horrible to work for.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 15, 2017
Didn't like you to have a life outside the office. New kid(s) on block would get all blame if something went wrong. Started off great but lose a case that is unwinnable (on appeal) and they question your degree and experience. Case load was manageable but so many rules (can't do depo summary until 2 weeks before trial no matter how many depos there are; can't bill more than 1.5 hours for plaintiff, 3 for expert no matter how long the depo is - near impossible) all while preparing trial exhibits and keeping up with other case load. Didn't want overtime but had to get it all done another near impossible feat. There two years just couldn't deal with it any longer.
Pros
Jeans and nice Christmas party.
Cons
Managing partner
One of the Best Places to Work
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 28, 2017
Exceptional Office Manager. Great work environment. Staff is positive and upbeat, and very hard working and dedicated.

The attorneys treat their staff with utmost respect, and vice-versa.
Ok place to work
Partner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2017
Hinshaw plays "favorites". And that's frustrating because many hard working and smart attorneys are overlooked.

Hinshaw should emphasize merits over "who you know."
Maintaining billable hours was key.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLApril 28, 2017
I was originally hired as defense secretary when firm received over 2000 class action asbestos suits so my original job description changed.

I felt that it was very important to mai rain your billable hour quota.
First rate Firm with terrific people and wide array of practice areas.
Attorney (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2017
Hinshaw is a top law firm in Chicago with offices nationwide. The variety of practice areas make it an ideal firm for any attorney and the people make it a special place to work.
Great place to work!
Conflicts Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2017
Awesome place to work! I have a wonderful manager and the firm very good benefits. Overall this is very nice place to work.
Depends on who you work for (some good, some bad)
Legal Assistant/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Downtown Los AngelesJuly 21, 2016
Average place to work. Nothing special. No Christmas bonus. No real Christmas party. Company offers bare minimum to keep employees. Lets older people go. Gearing towards a younger firm. We are in the second year of the merger. There are a lot of rules, but I guess that goes along with being a large firm. If you are having problems with an attorney, there is no way to move around within the branch offices as they are too small and specialized (unlike a firm like O'Melveny & Myers). Home office is clueless about litigation work in Los Angeles.
Pros
Good vacation package.
Cons
Nothing is special about this employer.
Great Place to Work
Paralegal/ Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  MiamiOctober 2, 2015
I really enjoyed working at this firm. I learned a lot. Went to court. Attended depositions. Learned research and how to write briefs. Great environment.
Layed back law firm
Conflict Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IlSeptember 30, 2015
Very pleasant environment. Little bit out of date on some procedures. Great compensation package. Somewhat cliquish.
Pros
Massages
Best place to work
Receptionist / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 21, 2015
You are treated with amazing respect, everyone looks out for one another, training is great, a lot of growth to move up, and they are willing to help you if you need to move to another state to relocate and keep you with the company
Great company to work for excellent benefits
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 31, 2015
It is great to work for this company, my office is like a family based workplace. The location I work in is comprised of a different ethnic groups which provides diversity. The hardest part of my job now if the about of miles I travel to work, I have been doing it for 5 year and it is taking a toll on me.
Pros
Attorney brings breakfast each Friday morning. Great benefits
Productive day at work.
Accounts Receivable Supervisor, Eastern Region (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the day at work is to assist the attorneys with their receivables. Setting up a quick meeting prior contacting the client can be important and helpful, since every client/account has a different story. Being a positive and reliable employee is beneficial to my colleagues as they know they may count on me for assistance or guidance. At typical day at the firm consist of speaking with clients,colleagues, office managers, and attorneys. Aside from answering and researching emails to handle. This is were multitasking comes handy, however, one must be careful to pay close attentions to a project this is important. Not having enough time in the day to complete every task, email, and/or reconciliation would probably be the hardest thing to leave behind for the actual work day.
Pros
Developing relationships with clients, colleagues and managements is my specialty, since I feel I can communicate with them well
Poor
Senior AR/Bill Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2014
Very stressful work environment.

Poor management, including considerable nepotism.

The co-workers were great and very helpful. The attorneys were very intelligent and very nice to work with.

The benefits were very good and the firm had a marvelous culture all its own. It felt like working in a small firm, when in fact, the firm is very large.

Aside from the management, it was really a nice place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours, great benefits, some really nice people.
Cons
Poor, ill equipped management staff.
Inclusive work environment
Associate Attorney (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 10, 2013
The hardest part of my job is to obtain projects from different partners to be involved in various practice areas.
Worst Career Choice
. (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2012
I have never experienced a place where people are quick to talk about you behind your back, yell profanity in the office, tell lies about one another, and backstab. The dress code was seldom followed which allowed people to wear short skirts and t-shirts with holes and stains. The office manager didn’t have a backbone and should not have been allowed to tell support staff why an employee was out of the office. Everyone hid behind closed doors and emails. Compensation was a joke. They will never treat you will respect and never show any sort of appreciation for hard work and dedication. Stay away!
Loved this place
Docket/Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2012
Opportunities to advance & compensation are great, LOVED this place.
Pros
everything