Hitachi Vantara Employee Reviews

Avoid This Sinking Ship
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 8, 2018
What was once a great company to work for is being destroyed by terrible middle management. The management refuses to pay yearly cost of living adjustments or performance raises, this has been going on for years. In this same period of time we have seen downsizing measures take place repeatedly, despite sales teams bragging about record sales and profits. This downsizing has forced more stressful working conditions on those that remain employed. Middle managers that have very little understanding of how the job needs to be performed promote/force a negligent work ethic, valuing quantity over quality.

They will ask for advice on how to improve their half baked processes, if you do happen to provide constructive feedback they dismiss it and then target you for retaliation. A hostile work environment.

Do yourself a huge favor and find a better job elsewhere.
Benefits
Good place to grow, not long-term for everyone
Production Associate II (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKJune 18, 2018
Hitachi has always tried to encourage a culture built around its employees. I experienced positives and negatives, but will take the positives with me always.
Bait and Switch Cost Me
Acting Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COMay 28, 2018
My role at Hitachi was supposed to be development focused, but this changed two months into the role as my team was dismantled and a first-time manager was placed over me. Growth from that time on was impossible even though I proved I was capable of delivering more. The culture in the office became stressful, and executives refuse to staff for actual business needs.
Pros
401(k) match
Cons
Executive vision
nice culture
Global Technical Account Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2018
The company is transforming and rapid changes in organization design, leadership, and personnel are happening since 2017. The people that work here are great and the culture is friendly.
Great Company Culture
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 22, 2018
Hitachi Vantara (Data Systems) had amazing people during my career. We also had a great work/life balance and the sales teams were great to work with. Lots of executive management changes in my 7 years there. No real job progressions for most roles, however the majority of roles were filled from within.
Pros
Great People, Great Management
Cons
Little Job Progressions
Always have a back-up plan
Configuration Strategist (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILMay 22, 2018
In the ever re-organizing workplace of Hitachi Vantara, be prepared to have your job eliminated. Here is a company that cannot decide what they want to do... first they are going to sell Storage, then they are going to get into Unified Computing, then they are going to jump onto the IoT bandwagon, and now they are back to focusing on selling Storage again because it made money. Honestly, this company's management cannot decide what they want to do other than follow the poor advice they pay Deloitte for. And even a name change from Hitachi Data Systems is not going to save this company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No raises or career development. Poor management.
Great Tech Company
Software QA Analyst/ DITA CMS Administrator (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 21, 2018
Adopting new technologies in IOT and Data Systems, excellent work culture, knowlegeable engineering teams, allows telecommuting, great to work for!!!!
Experience at Hitachi
Solutions Consultant Enterprise (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMay 18, 2018
I had a good experience during my time at Hitachi. I was able to help solve customer's business and technology problems. I was able to learn new skills in a real world setting and use them to help my customers. I was always honest with my customers and tried to be their trusted advisor instead of a Vendor. I always had the support of my manager and management team and we worked well as a District team. There truly was a work/life balance at Hitachi.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, management support, team collaboration
Cons
No raise
A nice company to work for
District Sales Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 17, 2018
A nice company to work for that treated their employees with respect and I enjoyed my 7 years with Hitachi. They are trying to invent themselves and I certainly hope they are able to turn the corner to success
Great Work Life Balance - Poor Management
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2018
The hours can be trying at times but unlimited PTO & work from home aspect allow employees to accommodate other activities in life apart from work as long as you get your work done.
Pros
Work life Balance
Cons
Advancement
Poor morale and poor management
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  IllinoisApril 25, 2018
For the past few years morale has dropped considerably due to:
*Lack of recognition
*Lack of respect amongst peers and from managers
*Frequent restructuring
*No direction with defined actionable goals
*Reductions in staff that happen multiple times a year
*Job advancement rarely occurs
*No mentorship program or process in place to grow skills
*Managers do not collaborate with teams; do not enable success for employees
*Inconsistent policies for work life balance and benefits

Observations during employment:
*Restricted by sales skill set and education of current solutions and value; not enough focus on competitive analysis and being aligned with the marketplace
*Solutions cannot complete with current tech and costs from competitors
*Excessive praise and rewards for sales teams and corporate officers but no budget for advancement, promotion, or salaries for support teams
*Teams waste efforts combating each other and processes instead of collaborating to be successful
*"Improvements" lead to extra work instead of expediting sales cycle
*Development teams for system changes do not involve or interact with appropriate departments to ensuring functionality is consistent or improved
*Unnecessary and inconsistent restrictions on flexibility in work arrangements based on management bias
*Not attracting current demographic of job seekers; misleading information of what job will entail and potential for career advancement
Pros
No positive feedback
Cons
Current indecisive business model, lack of confidence in management, poor morale
Company currently undergoing a transformation
Health and Life Sciences Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 23, 2018
I love working for Hitachi. The company has a great culture. My manager is awesome. As a healthcare vertical expert, I was expected to support the sales process but was never allowed to be the lead. I was also expected to identify new opportunities and turn them over to the responsible sales person in the areas that I supported.
Pros
great culture
Cons
currently undergoing major changes
Not enough time
Solutions Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 23, 2018
Most days are spent chasing down items to be complete. Too much CYA , most folks aren't willing to take a risk as it might come back on them. More focus should be on solving the issue for our customers. way too many levels of approval for changes on deals < 20k

Bottom line is too much bureaucracy
Pros
work from home
Cons
long days, too much infighting over pricing
Great benefits, challenging strategy
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  TBDApril 21, 2018
Great benefits. Company seems to be struggling with constant employee reductions and executing a new transformation. Extreme leadership changes have resulted in significant challenges in direction and execution.
Pros
Benefits, people
Cons
New leadership, attempts to transform to an IoT leader
Lack of management direction and solution portfolio.
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  NYApril 19, 2018
Management does not provide good direction and don't care about customer requirements. They want to control the customer and force their solutions rather than solve business problems.
Pros
Potential income
Cons
Company direction
Family centered, technical based, enjoyable
Senior Solutions Consultant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 17, 2018
Worked with Hitachi for 10 years. Enjoyed my time with them. Received excellent training in Sales and technical areas to include additional Unified Compute Platform, Content Plaforms, Data Analytics. Received certified training in Sales Performance International (SPI)
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Lots of reduction in force
Going down the drain
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 13, 2018
Poorly managed, no technical leadership. Buzzwords, but no action. I worked there for 5 years and every project I worked on was canceled before coming to fruition.
Pros
Great money and benefits
Cons
Everything else.
Lost in transition
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Eastern USMarch 30, 2018
Where to begin? Spent years with the company. No pay increases after third year. Witnessed many questionable leadership decisions. They missed the move to the cloud that AWS and Oracle capitalized upon. Worked almost seven days a week for the last couple of years. Too much to do, not enough people to do it. Support teams were continuously overburdened and response times suffered. Company is amidst a transition to a services company. Current management team lack the requisite emotional intelligence and leadership abilities. This direction poses more questions than answers.
Pros
Remote work local, 401k
Cons
Too many to list
Use to be a good company when it was Pentaho
Business Analytics Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 28, 2018
Hitachi is incorporating its culture on Hitachi Vantara which use to be Pentaho Corp. prior to acquisition. It's now a large corporation culture. Morale is low as job security is now uncertain due to reorganizations.
Pros
unlimited vacation (new), a good technical learning environment
Cons
Low morale, uncertain future and direction
Opportunities for growth in your career
Sales (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 16, 2018
With the current changes in the company comes opportunity to grow and expand in your career. This requires a very different mindset and high ambition to become aligned with a very different company structure.
Pros
The currrent changes have stretched every part of the organization
Cons
Some people like change; some people don't.