HLK Employee Reviews

Great environment
Sr. Software Developer (Former Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 20, 2018
Developers are typically left alone to complete their work. There is a bit of work that needs to be done related to process overall, but is much better than most software shops. They are genuinely concerned about employees. They encourage the use of new technology. Remote work is an option on a full time or part time basis.
Pros
Great employee benefits
Cons
Layoffs
Would be a nice place if managed properly
Developer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 13, 2018
It's too bad that bad upper management has resulted in deep cuts to the workforce at HLK. 30% of the company was laid off in one day, and it seemed that some of the hardest workers were the ones let go. That was the only metric the collective employee pool had to go off of, because everyone was told when being let go it was for financial reasons. Most of us if not all of us got no severance, no notice, and have actual children to support, so this was absolutely beyond what any of us expected. One month they're talking about all the new people they will be hiring, the next month they're curtly telling us we did nothing wrong but to collect our things. One lady wasn't even allowed to go to her desk. It's just sad to see a company that was so promising fall so far. We are all very discouraged.
Cons
Horrible management
Collaborative environment that cultivates individual growth
Strategist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 8, 2017
I've experienced more career growth in 3 years at HLK than probably in the 10 previous years working. In part because I finally found a job I loved and wanted to excel at, but also becasue management - all the way up tot eh partners - encouraged continued growth and provided continuous reviews of work.

Great culture, but not a lot of room for advancement, as it's a small shop. The "small" part is great becasue you get to do a bit more than your job requires (learn other skills and work closely with other departments), but that can also lead to role/responsibility confusion, and limits how far you can go or how much you can make.

This is a fun, creative place to work. HLK is a great agency that's growing like crazy; the work is incredible because it's always rooted in a solid strategy, which not every agency can claim.