HM.CLAUSE Employee Reviews

Great place to work, good place to gain experience, not always great for advancement
Unspecified (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAFebruary 12, 2019
If you are a USA employee, your opportunities for advancement are limited unless you possess a Masters degree or Phd and speak French and Spanish fluently. You will only go so far without those skills.

Management is primarily European, so the style is different. You may work long hours but the flexibility is good and the paid time off is generous compared to other US companies. The health benefits are excellent, and the longevity is good. Very little turn over in key positions.
Pros
Health benefits, flexible schedule, opportunity to travel
Cons
Long hours, high pressure deadlines, USA born employees must meet certain standards in education and language to advance.
Toxic Culture
Marketing Sample Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 24, 2018
This place is like a bad boyfriend. The lies and manipulation will make you miserable.. they'll throw crumbs of praise and recognition to keep you going.. but eventually you'll realize it's nonsense and leave.

Cool kids & management are like kids with a magnifying glass, the rest of us are ants.
---------------------
I read the reviews before starting at HM Clause, and like many, assumed the negative reviews came from disgruntled employees. It took me 2 weeks to realize they were true.

I hoped this would be a great opportunity, but nope. It's a dysfunction I've never seen before, and I've had some bad jobs.

The culture is insecure, paranoid, and cruel.
Supervisors taunt and gaslight. The better you work, the meaner they get. I've honestly never been through this before. I stuck it out for a while to see if it would get better -- either my perspective or their behavior. It got worse the harder I tried.

Very difficult to be a woman in this warehouse, I've had great experiences in others. They live in the stone age, mentally and technologically. Modern people won't tolerate it. They can't keep this up forever. People quit left and right.

I tried my hardest with HM. Put my heart into my work, took ownership-- made my role and system as efficient as possible and they mocked me for it. Thanks for the lessons. Stronger than ever!
Pros
Good pay, great benefits. Relatively easy work, little micro managing
Cons
Everything else. Work culture, management. Favoritism, manipulation.
Collaborative and feel-good kind of place
Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAJuly 3, 2018
HM.Clause is a good mix of a well-grounded group of people, but with a good dose of international/global infusion bringing very different perspectives to the table. Real professional growth and learning opportunities.
Pros
Benefits, professional advancement and growth
Cons
Lots to do
Welcoming and Energetic Atmosphere
Intern (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAApril 22, 2018
At HM.Clause you are constantly learning and things are always evolving to find the best way to operate. You work with a diverse group of people from all kinds of backgrounds. People appreciate a real lunch break and work collaboratively across departments.
HM Clause
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 11, 2018
Good compensation and the concept of feeding the world by providing seeds to every nation was great but practices were as dated as the equipment. Very passive-aggressive culture where people smile to your face but talk behind your back.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Culture is very toxic
Management has it made in the shade
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 29, 2018
These are the most spoiled and lazy so called workers on the planet. The majority of the employees receive free paychecks weekly for doing something close to nothing. Management is so under qualified it’s amazing. The only way managers got to where they are is because they’ve been their forever. If you’re a hard working person stay away! They will just hire someone of the street and let the good people go. The thing is, they don’t want to be shown up on a daily basis. A lot of time and effort wasted here. Had to learn the hard way that this was a ridiculous place to work.
Pros
Beyond easy work
Cons
Management and incompetent workers
Poor Management
Senior HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAMarch 16, 2018
Great benefits, but management doesn't have a clue. Very toxic environment. If you are well liked and are a yes person, you can move up. Competency accounts for nothing.
Pros
Medical Plan
Solid Company
Shipping Lead (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDJanuary 11, 2018
Had a good 14 plus years. Works hours were long during portions of the year. Advancement and/or mobility were minimal. Cooperation between company groups could have been better.
Productive and fun place to work.
Greenhouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Davis, CADecember 4, 2017
My typical day would entail meeting with my Greenhouse Team to give them instructions and a schedule of priority of tasks to tackle and I would walk and scout for pests, check mechanical malfunctions etc. on all 45 Greenhouses. I would make a note of my observations and prioritize/take action as needed. Everyday was a learning curve since equipment, plants and climate control electronics would malfunction due to constant power outages. In addition, older Greenhouses lacked up-to-date technology which made it a challenge to monitor specific Greenhouse parameters. Overall, it was a challenge to change the management culture in being pro-active as opposed to re-active in repairing Greenhouses, labor planning and workplace culture. The workplace culture and work ethic was detrimental amongst some managers and translated down to the work force which made it a challenge to motivate employees. After all, I was able to learn many aspects of managing each Greenhouse with a different crop, fertigation, climate controls (ARGUS), remodeling a Greenhouse and most of all i enjoyed working with the Greenhouse staff.
Pros
Continuous out of site training
Cons
Lack of job advancement and management work ethic
Bad upper management
Plant operator 1 (Current Employee) –  555 codiniAugust 28, 2017
Horrible upper management very limited to who knows who if you are a yes man or woman this is the place for you lots of favoritism within this company.
Hot & Humid
Pathology Research Aide (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAAugust 2, 2017
It was a great place to work where I learned a lot about plant pathogens. I worked mainly in the greenhouses throughout my shift. My boss was quite the jerk sometimes.
Cons
No benefits, no vacations, no sick leave at the time
great place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olathe, CO 81425July 7, 2017
HM Clause was a great place to work, co-workers were wonderful, the manager was very easy to work for and very understanding. this job doesn't work the public, it was a whole sale seed company, so they dealt with other whole sale companies that sold products to the public.
Feed the world with friends and grow with us!
N/A (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 23, 2017
Working in multiple positions throughout the company has allowed me to see the many faces of HM.Clause.

This company has many strong points (I know because I have been working here for nearly 10 years):
- Start up feel, meaning every day is different and challenging (however, this type of pace is not for everyone!)
- Always evolving (also not for the faint of heart), this is a fluid company so that means if movement of talent, product and processes as it relates to the market and industry needs.
- Come here to add value and you will be happy!
- Workplace culture is more of an "open door policy" meaning your option and input is respected and considered - it may not mean you persuade the masses but for sure you have a voice!
- The most difficult part of the job is that the business moves fast, you're always planning far in advance, so take time to celebrate your wins!
- The most enjoyable part of the job is who we work with. The culture is friendly, respectful and considerate.
- A learning company: we learn from each other (at all levels) and it is encouraged!
- As I mentioned this is a fluid company meaning management also shifts. More recently, this has been quite positive in many areas of the business.
Pros
People, Benefits, Challenges
Cons
Work/life balance
Great Company with amazing people!
N/A (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 23, 2017
Working at HM. Clause has been an amazing experience. One of my favorite things about working here are the people. People at HMC are genuine and they want to see you succeed. You are able to talk to any level in the organization, if you ever have a question you can go to any VP office and they will be more than happy to help you. I do not think you are able to see that kind of open door policy in every other company.
Another thing I really enjoy about working at HM. Clause is "The Learning Company" since it shows how much HMC wants to continue developing their employees so they can succeed.
Pros
Trainings
Harris moran
ACCOUNTING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 11, 2017
Harris Moran was a great place to work for. The staff was wonderful, the managers were great. I enjoyed going to work there everyday. The culture was well rounded. Hardest part of the job was driving to work every morning. It would take me 35 mins to get to work everyday.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
I was a temp
Company in Modesto is in transition mode
Supply Chain Planner (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 10, 2017
Current CEO has resigned. Inventory has new manager that is being directed by his boss based in France. Currently reorganizing the department. Many new employess with little experience in Inventory Management. They are currently struggling.
havent been there for a long time
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 7, 2017
It sucked but the economy was so bad I didn't have a lot of options. Ultimately they provide little to no job training, were extremely behind as far as technology. The computer I had could barely process my work load. Cubical environment. I haven't been there in a while so it's very reasonable that things have changed.
Pros
The pay check cleared
Cons
everything else
Poor management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 27, 2015
This company has so much potential! Unfortunately, management needs some help. In the human resources department employees are unhappy, under appreciated, and often deal with rude management. If you would like to be spoken to as a child and often told you're not good enough for a position you already have, then join the team! If you have any self worth, stay away.
Pros
Traveling opportunities for some
Cons
Horrible atmosphere, fake relationships with management
Fun place to work
DIRECTOR OF RISK MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Able to build a fully functional Risk Management Department from the ground up. Completed all tasks assigned and improved all insurance programs.
Pros
Casurl place to work
Cons
Unable to promote up Executive ranks
Just a temporary employee
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Modesto CaliforniaSeptember 6, 2014
Great Company to work for, however I am only a temporary employee and have learned so much in processing payroll from the beginning to the end through pay post. lots of data entry manual of payroll issues.
Pros
Great Employees Birthday Celebration
Cons
Not enough hours to finish work load

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HM.CLAUSE. Our community is ready to answer.