HMSHost Employee Reviews

Found 1,812 reviews matching the search See all 2,116 reviews
it was like a ghost town
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 17, 2019
I really just it was a hit or miss really with customers because there wasn't really many options to make or do, managers were really hard to get or talk to even through hard or stress times an made us look super bad an really felt like blaming myself at times seeing people not happy
Pros
discounts
Cons
nothing was organized
Terrible management , Poor corroboration as a team.
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 15, 2019
After working here for 4 years as a server I know so much about in depth of the company like how they handle the employees, situation and circumstance. Almost all of managers come from fast-food chains. They have no ideas and experiences how to run the real restaurants and bars hence there's always something we run out or don't have to sell it EVERYDAY. it's pretty hustle environment when you work for the very face-paces busy airport ,customers have limited time to dine in before theirs flights. Menu is very simple and small ( all of them cooked by microwave and hot water blast) still out of so many items you can name it like food, beers list and liquor made customers very frustrated. Managers ( management teams seem not to care and many time don't know how to handle).
I saw sooooo many managers in and out more than 10+ managers quits in my 4 years working here. Moreover I have never seen so many HRs quit which I easily can say more than 6 HR who quit during my 4 years period. Lack of smart managements here run all the restaurants. All people who works here stay only because money ( from tips) is really really good. It's really challenge in term of stressful and fast services dealing with hundred of people during the day everyday. Some are good many are ok and some rude and interesting people you have to deal with. If you make a simple mistake such as wrong adjust tips twice in a year you will get fired.
Pros
half price lunch and other benefits, good money
Cons
short break ( 30 min for 8 working hours), Stressful, poor managements
Good Times
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 12, 2019
For 15yrs can"t complain it's been a great time there I will miss everyone. I've met and worked with awesome people over the years. but all good things must come to and end .
Pros
like family
Cons
Bad days come and go
It all depends
Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77032February 11, 2019
Depending on how much you are willing to put up with, this can be an alright job. Some of the supervisors are good at what they do, and some of the managers are alrigh. However, I've seen many employees being lazy due to being under paid and under staffed.
Face Paced and Stressful
F&B Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 11, 2019
Lack of Accountability. Lack of Guidance. Expectations are not clarified. Besides that the pay for leadership is fair but the hourly associates tend to leave because they are not properly compensated.
Teamwork type of enviornment
COOK/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 11, 2019
A typical day is working together as a team to make sure the job stays afloat. For working for this company for over 12+ years i have learned a lot and seen a lot. Many good and some bad behaviors; I have worked for this company pregnant and all and although i get time off it's just a shock how your treated on a daily how your talked to by older employees.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
favoritism, rude employees. lazy managers
Very tense environment.
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXFebruary 8, 2019
Accounting office in Grapevine is a horrible place to work. Too much gossiping between the Controller and Accountant. Too much micro managing. No open door policy.
Pros
Free lunch
5yrs i got by
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 5, 2019
typical fast food. waves at peek times call outs no shows somebody had to cover. old news things and faces change some them still there leave it alone.........................................
Pros
free lunch
Cons
everything else
Fun place
Group Cashier for five restaurants (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2019
This job was located at the airport. They put you to work in diffferent types of restaurants and you get to learn a lot of different roles in this job.
Pros
Free lunches
Fast food plaza
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rolling Prairie, INFebruary 2, 2019
It was alright working there, the customers were very rude along with some of the managers. I worked a few months then decided I needed to be treated better and went job searching elsewhere, then was focusing on school, I’ve decided I’m ready for another job that I’ll love.
Stressful
Barista (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 1, 2019
Constantly missing employees in a high volume environment can be stressful. Sometimes not even managers or supervisors jump in to help. Management does not pay attention to employees that give terrible cutomer service so said employees get away with that. Most times they only check the stores/restaurants when the VIPs fly in. A lot of stores have drain issues or pipe issues so when they come in to fix it the stores stay open and there’s way too many bodies in the middle of a rush.
Pros
About $11 a day to buy lunch, union job, hour break, manager comps, good pay
Cons
unorganized management, lack of employees
Horrible place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 30, 2019
Everything about the place is bad, from salary to the main problem the managers. This place would suck the life out of anyone. You do get a $12 meal credit only for their company,
Pros
$12 meal credit
Cons
high turn over, stressfull
People were rude and all the managers treated me like dirt
Barista (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 28, 2019
Everyone was harsh and there was too much drama and one of the managers even started going around calling me a rude names to all the staff. Not all the ladies in the Starbucks would communicate to others nor would they help us with anything.
Hms host
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 27, 2019
Restaurant work is very different. It is tough and rough. You may have a happy guest and a miserable guest all at the same time. You just need to hope you have strong management behind you to back you up.
Productive and fun working place
Stocker/Barista (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2019
Good job I learned a lot there. Good hours , a lot of different schedules. They have mans different restaurants and Starbucks under them. It s a good job
Waste of my life / time
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2019
They are all about games no thanks yous praises are fear off and between

Long work hours salary examp 12+ hours only paid fot 8.5 daily

Staffe is under paid and treated unfairly
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Poor leader ship/ managers disrespful union house
This place is a Grind
Multi-Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 22, 2019
This is hard work with little or no thanks and the turnover is huge so dont bother even learning someone's name until you have seen them a few times. the only perk is the free lunch at any venue
I can't even begin to describe my Disdain for this company!
Former Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2019
I mean the only reason why I gave this place one star is due to the fact that they will literally hire anyone who has a pulse for real and because of the pay. If I could give this place negative zero stars, I really would. That's how they get you though, with the pay. So I would only recommend this job to someone who desperately needed work but still wanted to look elsewhere for work. This place is a disgrace. The management is so cut throat. They will literally fire you if you are not a favorite. The employees suck. Not to make this about race but they need to strongly hire less black people or atleast blacks from the hood because they did NOT want to listen, they did NOT want to follow directions and the only way that you could get them on your side is if you risked your job and looked out for them (and yes I am black myself but the work ethic of blacks there is HORRIBLE). The rules suck, the disorganization is real, and let's not even get started with the HIGH LACK of communication—EXCEPT when it came down to scandals and spreading rumors. Everyone was on the same page there. The irony huh? They had a bug problem in their locations and yet they didn't even want to do anything about it. Just nasty. All that they cared about was making money and not the safety of customers. The fruit flies were ALL OVER THE BAKERY ITEMS!!!

If I had advice for them, STOP picking favorites, HIRE MORE WHITE, ASIANS, LATINOS, ETHIOPIANS...you name it, cause they give a flip about their work and they listen when told what to do (just stop hiring ghetto trash black people....hire some black
  more... people who have a sense of dignity and respect for themselves and others), STOP GOSSIPING ABOUT EACH OTHER....just fire Tori (cause she has favorites), CLEAN UP YOUR NASTY BUGS!

The pay is REALLY good though...and that's how they get you (even though supervisors aren't even paid the same to be honest)...but for the love of God don't let that encourage you to stay here. It's really NOT worth your sanity.
Pros
Pay (that's how they get you)
Cons
Literally everything else
not good.
Multi-Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Broadview Heights, OHJanuary 20, 2019
Very stressful, Very long hours Very understaffed. I did enjoy working on the turnpike, the company has been downsizing for the past year, The new DO was creating a hostile work environment.
Pros
Pay was good
Worst decision I ever made
Food and Beverage Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 20, 2019
The job would be easy if it wasn’t for the cut throat environment, drama and if the adults acted like adults. The gossip and employees at all levels sleeping with each other is ridiculous. The fact it’s a union run environment makes it hard for managers to do the job they are hired for.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss