HMSHost
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from HMSHost:

HMSHost Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA70 reviews
Did not let me take off for doctor appt
When I started I found out I was pregnant. I was in the HR dept and there was only me and my manager. She told me that I could not take off work for doctor appts and that I had to do it outside my work schedule of 8-5. Unfortunately my doctor wasn’t open before 8am or after 5pm so I quit. I put a complaint in and corporate didn’t do anything about it. Way to treat your employees!
Great environment
Great place to work and there are helpful ppl to work with. I enjoy working there they have different kinds of ethnic background of ppl working together
Great place to work!
I've been here for over 10 years and I love that management will roll-up their sleeves to help out! At HMSHost, we are a family who cares for one another.
Pros
Family Friendly
Cons
No teleworking
Productive Place to work
Great place to work for experience in the airport entertainment industry. Good work life balance. Great for someone looking to not be promoted. Great diverse culture.
Do not apply for HR position
Stressful place to work for and do not recommend at all.

All payroll did was show attitude.

HR manager back then didn't had any listening skills.

I was trained by my last manager that was there, but my new manager was stuck on something completely different.

She will check on me to see if I had interview Eg: coming in my office and checking my clothes.

HR manager has trust issue but she didn't wanted to sit in my office and see what I was doing.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Interesting company to work for
HMSHost is a very solid company with strong leaders. Their projects are exciting and their expansion is truly remarkable. The various teams have many deliverables to achieve and innovation has become the focus of every functional department.
Pros
Solid company, good team players
Cons
Politics
Its a good place to work
The company has been good to me over the years. I think you get out of a job what you put into it. If you don't put any work into a job you won't get anything back in return. At HMSHost, if you at least place some effort in the job we'll give back. for me, I always try to give my all and its always seemed that the company has always tried to match that in return when it can. Leadership can run hot and cold but that happens everywhere. over all, I've met a lot of great people, made a lot of great friends.
A vibrant environment with many opportunities for growth
HMSHost, Inc. is a leader in the food service industry; continuously innovating to stay ahead of the competition and bring value to its customers which have ever-changing needs. The environment is friendly, family-oriented, fun-filled but at the same time very professional, productive, and innovative.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Creates complacent employees
Good
Everyone is always nice great place to work. It’s very diverse where I’m stationed and you meet people of all backgrounds. The hardest part was learning to deal with heavy traffic stores.
Pros
Have much hrs as need
Cons
Constantly want you in
Started off nice at first, as time went on the curtain dropped.
Long story short, don't work here if you're expecting a job with fair pay and a good work/life balance. The manager I worked for did his best to provide the days I requested off, but his bosses were carefree and didn't prioritize anything that didn't have to do with a dollar sign.

Most stressful 4 months of my life. My emotional and mental health declined GREATLY while working here.

Oh, and a lot of the shift supervisors that have been with this company for 10+ years are racist. Walked into that one unprepared. Each time I complained, nothing was done.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HMSHost?
Fun and cool
Nice place to work in with fun and lively people. Always have room to learn and grow and also pushes you to work hard and stand out. Nice staff and management
I think the company has the culture part right. As far as promotion from within, not so correct. Promotion is based on nepotism. The pay is not competitive.
8 months of regret.
From severe roaches to poor store management. I don’t know where to begin. I’ll start of by saying i LOVED being a barista, I loved the whole fast pace environment. Performing my role as a barista at the highest quality was constantly effected do to lack of supplies, constantly short staffed, severed roach infestation, and just poor leadership from 1/3 of shift supervisors I’ve had to work with. Some people just half do a job because they don’t think the job pays enough but that’s not me, imagine fighting with a supervisor Because they rather u not clean the store properly so that they can’t clock out sooner... so many workers here have mental health issues and I lost patience, my mental health started to really decline. I really hated most of all having to fake smile 24/7. The day I quit I actually started my first day at Starbucks company. Let’s just say it’s been life changing enough to get on here and write a poor review.
Pros
Free meal up to $11
Cons
Pay
Chaotic Work Environment
HMSHost has been around for a very long time. You would think they have the business figured out. Unfortunately, that is not the case. A few facts:
1. Hire freeze every year - mainly because they can’t seem to be able to meet their numbers...it is the same story every year.

2. Restructures at least once a year - for a medium size Corporate office, this seems to be rather excessive. It can’t be that hard to have the proper structure, especially after so many attempts.

3. Ongoing consultants roaming around (getting paid millions) to tell management how to run their Company...has not worked so far

4. Expectations are simply unrealistic and unless you manage to be part of the “boys club” your opportunities for advancement are rather slim

5. They keep loosing talent due to mismanagement. As a manager you are constantly faced with training new associates

With so many job options in the DC area, it is just not worth it to put yourself in such a stressful and unstable work environment.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Stability, job security, unrealistic expectations
It is an enjoyable working experience with HMSHost
It is an enjoyable working environment in HMSHost. The culture of the company is diverse, friendly and respectful. Good work and life balance place. The managers in my group are professional, efficient and willing to help each other. Good team!
This was a fun, social, educational and laid back workplace
Working for HMS has helped evolve my customer service skills, I have developed a better understanding and more awareness of how and when to assist the customers, even when they may not call for assistance by observing body language. I have learned so much at this company ranging from an employee aspect and a travelling customer aspect as well. There's a variety of managers, majority of which were pleasingly professional, understanding, supportive and laid back, while others were not so much as I transferred to several different HMS host ran restaurants. I 'd say one of the hardest parts of the job was having to await management assistance for any errors that were made while management was not available in the unit due to other managerial tasks. Additionally, it was also difficult when some management staff allowed specific employees to overstep supervisor authority and allowed them a significant amount of power over other staff members in the unit. The most enjoyable portion of the job was assisting and meeting new people every day and learning more about travelling as well as geography. Depending upon the season, it would determine the flow and consistency of business ("traffic"). I advanced on several occasions from server, to bartender, supervisor and was nominated to become the customer service trainer of all HMS host restaurants for that location.
Pros
Free / discounted lunches / Starbucks beverages from all of HMS contracted restaurants on site
Cons
Too much authority / power and independence among employees
Challenging work environment, but rewaring
My time spent with HMSHost provided a great deal of personal and professional growth. While I found that my work/life balance was a little less than desirable, I felt that I learned enough to do my job well and was confident in my ability to complete my work. I built strong working relationships with the managers at my airports, and felt that my employees trusted me enough to discuss any issues or problems.
Pros
Generous meal allowance for salaried personnel, unique work environment, competitive wages
Cons
Work/life balance leaned more toward work
ok
Very good experience during the twenty five years that I worked there. Working in a contract business means that if you do not secure enough during the bid cycle you can be downsized.
Accomplished over and above my job duty
Placed purchase orders for Apparel. Worked with Vendors. Merchandising. Assortments. Forecasting. Analyzing inventories, markdowns.The hardest part of the job was that I had to take on a very large responsibility by purchasing another buyers job who had quit and was never replaced. My salary stayed the same. I did this for a year after the buyer had quit, in addition to helping my Boss because she did not know Excel, nor wanted to negotiate markdowns with her vendors. we were heavily over inventory and the whole time that I worked there, our department was always low on our sales, vs other departments that there sales were high.
Corporate Office
Pro:
Flexible schedule

Easy going work environment

Lots of time off (vacation + flex)

Internal growth and ability to move between departments

Con:

Hiring freezes at least 1x a year

Autogrill gives an impossible to meet budget for Host

Layoffs at random due to budget and market inconsistencies

Under market value pay
Fast paced very busy.
No time for fooling around, on tight schedule. Benefits were good,health, dental. Free lunch everyday.Coworkers ready to help finish work if you needed help.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at HMSHost.