HMSHost Employee Reviews

Found 1,357 reviews matching the search See all 1,604 reviews
Hms host
Burger King Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 13, 2018
A basic day at burger king through HMS host would include the following things.Checking inventory taking orders solving issues with people fry cooking etc.Things I've learned dealing with money more people skills and fry cooking.The hardest part about the job would be dealing with the pressure and getting used to it.The easiest part about the job is that it keeps you busy while your there makes time fly by.The part i enjoyed about it the most is communicating with the people.
Pros
free lunch budget on the company's tab
Cons
break's after 3 or 4 hours max
Will give you an ulcer
Barista (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 13, 2018
The managers do nothing. You go to them with issues and they either tell you to figure it out yourself, or they say they'll do something and then don't. This is a great job if you are super lazy and have zero work ethic, because there are zero consequences for not getting your work done or for always being late or calling in, since the few who actually try will have to end up picking up your slack. A dude LITERALLY got high in the middle of the work day, ON AIRPORT PROPERTY, and was not fired. The only time you get in trouble is if a DM for Starbucks visits and you tell him all the things managers are doing wrong. And upper management visits and is just as useless, if not worse, because they prompt managers to micromanage even more and they get in the way of the minority of employees that are actually trying to do their job properly.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Managers. Everything else too, but mostly managers
Trash
Starbucks Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Township of Galloway, NJOctober 6, 2018
The job is a complete mess. Managers and those in charge do not help at all. Lack leads and they make regular baristas carry out that task without paying them. There is no room for advancement. They tell you that you can grow within the company but that is all bull. They will hire someone else from the outside (no skills whatsoever) before promoting you. This place is so petty.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Everything else
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 3, 2018
There is a lot of room for advancement within this company. The health care and 401k option with full time employment is a nice incentive. Being part of a team is nice.
Utilities Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJOctober 3, 2018
Very good company to work for and andvancein within. Company culture is positive however that doesn't always flow down the pipeline to the everyday staff. All in all I would recommend the company.
Very poor environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando International Airport, FLOctober 2, 2018
This was one of the most stressful and unprofessional employment opportunities I have had in all of my work career. Highest turnover rate of any company I have ever seen.
Pros
Discount/free food
Cons
Very low pay, extremely high un realistic expectations
It's a job.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VirginiaOctober 2, 2018
Management likes to gossip so if you can't handle middle school all over again I wouldn't recommend this place. They care very little about your personal life such as major health problems or mental health issues. Not the best experience, a job is a job.
Pros
Free lunch, Meeting New People
Cons
Bad management, Disorganized
Poor Management
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHOctober 1, 2018
Managers don't care about the employees and only care about their personal benefit. They often very rude to their workers and their customers. They overlook how people are treated by the other employees.
Pros
Cons
all of it
Fun to work
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 27, 2018
Fast paced.nice people.good benefits.with tips too.i like working here but the schedules they gave me is the schedules that i didndt requet so its hard for me to commute coz i live at vallejo sometimes or most of the times they gave me pm shift so im done at 10 pm and arrived at home by 12 midnight and hard coz my husband will pick me up at bus station and wake up at 3am to work too.so I decided to quit
Pros
Free lunch, 15% discounts for employees
Bartender
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Maui, HISeptember 26, 2018
I really like my job its busy, the money is good you don’t have to work 40 hours a week. If you do your job and don’t ruffle any feathers management leaves you alone. If you want to after a certain amount of time you can transfer to any airport across the USA & Canada and some other places check it out
Pros
Ins, benifits, tips are good, it’s union
Cons
Short hours 20 hours is full time
ok
Muli unit operations managernal (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 25, 2018
Very good experience during the twenty five years that I worked there. Working in a contract business means that if you do not secure enough during the bid cycle you can be downsized.
Stressful, unprofessional work place
Srarbucks Barista and Cashier, also Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Highspire, PASeptember 25, 2018
HMS Host was stressful, never enough workers, they have alot of favoritism there, dirty work environment. I started off getting $10 per hour, but I switched locations so that the job would be close to my house and they took me down to $9 per hour. I also never got my $1 raise from the company after my 3 months was up.
Cook/Cashier
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 24, 2018
I got paid $8.75 to both cook and be a cashier, including preparing meat and vegetables. I felt most of the management did not care and I was hired as full time and then they only had me working three days a week and they still did not do anything to change it, even when I went to Human Resources. The manager was never in the restaurant and the other employees would just go and eat the restaurants food in the back and I would be left in the front by myself to both cook and ring up customers, as well as making sure the bar was served and had their food plated and served.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks, Poor Management, Long Commute, Had to pay parking
Fast paced and very hot
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Lihue, HISeptember 24, 2018
It was fun while it lasted . I love to cook so that was an opportunity for me I wanted to try. My boss was kind of green but thought otherwise. Strict code because of airport terminal.
Pros
See a lot of people
Cons
No free meals
If you’re looking for something temporary... very annoying company
Barista (Former Employee) –  Newark Liberty International Airport, NJSeptember 22, 2018
This may be the worst company I’ve ever worked for. They have so many unnecessary rules for such little pay. I worked for starbucks in Newark Airport & I couldn’t wear false eyelashes, nail extensions, or nail polish. Oh yeah, there’s no hope for advancement in the company unless you work there for years and management is very petty & inconsiderate. I was 5 months pregnant & couldn’t lift things & was told I had to get a doctor’s note to prove I was pregnant when I was obviously showing. Over the 2 years I’ve worked for HMS host starbucks I’ve seen plenty of ppl come & go within a short time span. Including management. Don’t work here & if you do, don’t get stuck there like the old miserable hags who like to gossip their whole shift & tell everyone’s business all day. They give about $13 or something like that to eat on break but there’s limitations to what we can even eat. DEAD END JOB!
Pros
Free food I guess
Cons
Very fast paced job day goes by pretty quick and lots of overtime.
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 22, 2018
The pay is pretty good for Food & Beverage. Great empolyees some managers are great then there are others who make your job harder. I've been here about 3 years and I still cant get a schedule that allows me to have good time to spend with my children.
Pros
Free lunch, tips, great benefits.
Cons
Short breaks, not much time off and no time for a life outside of this job scheduling sucks.
fast paced a cool place to work but not a lot of new skills introduced
COOK ll (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2018
Good place to work for people were friendly for the most part and quite helpful. did'nt see a lot of room for advancement or an opportunity to hone learned skills
Pros
quantity cooking
Cons
no advancement in sight
Garbage
Barista (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 20, 2018
Garbage!!!!! Garbage!!!!!! Garbage!!!!! I really didnt enjoy working here.... They were all fake and liars!!!! Dont trust em... Youll be working for eternity and not benefitting from anything....
Grrat job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Awesome job to have if u are a people person and have and look to stand for long periods of Times keep u busy the international airport awesome job I love
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Favoritism. Rude and lazy managers. No structure or discipline. Poor work ethic. Dirty environment.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 18, 2018
Dysfunctional management. No structure or discipline. Lazy work ethics.
HR or Union is no support for the employees. The company's policies are inconsistent and conflicting.
Schedule biddings/changes, cutting or adding hours without any consideration of the individuals life situation. The policy language is english, yet the majority speaks Tagalog, which is unprofessional and discriminating towards other non-Tagalog speaking workmates.
Pros
Lunch?
Cons
Management and most supervisors are lazy and hiding if you need them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

55out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at HMSHost.

Powered by Comparably