HNI Corporation Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAAugust 9, 2018
When you have an idea, it doesn't matter. If you have anything to add, it doesn't matter. You're doing well? You're average. Backstabbing culture is the norm. Unless you pucker up, you won't last long.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
Very well managed company
Senior Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJuly 30, 2018
Senior management is engaged and visible for all workers to approach. Managers are hands on and aware of most challenges and are good resources to utilize in solving problems.
Great company
Customer Master Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJuly 23, 2018
I started in Customer Support before moving to MDM. CS was very had and demanding. Really hard and frustration work but helped me to learn the company. I stuck with it and moved to HNI and felt a whole new side to the office. My manager was awesome, I worked really well with my immediate team. At times things were stressful but I knew I could count on my team and manager to have each other’s backs. I knew that if I worked hard I could continue to advance and had the support of my manager to grow and learn new skills.
Good and competitive environment.
Track Lead Finance (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJune 19, 2018
Good and competitive environment. opportunity to learn new technology. work culture is little tough . location is little disadvantage.
they have various kind of work options.
Wharehouse work. Would not recommended working here.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 16, 2018
Many sisters companies. New York location. Worked between warehouse, shipping recieving, hardware makes and hardware distribution production and can honestly recommend if you work in these particular areas know that you will be taking on more responsibilities with very and i mean very low pay. At only 10 to 11 dollars an hour i have wasted an entire year of my life putting in the effort. You will note reviews of management and engeneers as positive feedback. but between all other locations you will not be paid well enough to survive on your own comfortably. You will be doing the actual work physical action of moving things. People seemed happier in upolstry but i cannot speak for them.
Cons
Little to no warning of overtime and how long you are required to stay.
Assembly is hard on the body and management only cares about 1st shift
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAApril 12, 2018
As an assembly line worker from the day you start and every day you work on the line your body will be in some type of pain, it just depends on the job. Of course your body will adjust to it, but it will always be there. Management doesn't care about each department/line equally. Some lines get all the attention, all the new employees, and all the updates while others are stuck struggling and not getting the recognition they deserve. Management will shut down the "unimportant" lines and have those people move to the "important" lines to work or they will flat out just take people from the struggling lines so they struggle even more. 1st shift is not held to the same standard of goals or organization as second shift, 1st shift also has twice as many workers as 2nd shift but 2nd shift is still expected to hit the same numbers.
Pros
Co workers, easy jobs to learn
Cons
Short breaks, unfair standards between shifts, department/line favoritism
Work hard
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAMarch 14, 2018
Fast pace. Hired as a welder and told at orientation there were no openings for welder. Got put on a line. Not very well compensated for the effort. Have to get on a good line with good workers or you don't get the benefits
A good company in general
Summer Work Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAMarch 3, 2018
The facility I worked at had not fully organized a hierarchy for second shift yet, so management directives and guidance were not in place.

I was not trained by the certified trainer, but by one of my coworkers.
Pros
Second shift premium
Cons
lack of management
Management very unprofessional.
Cutter/Sewer / Expediter (Former Employee) –  Wayland, NYMarch 1, 2018
The worst company I have ever had the pleasure of working for. Factory employees, or Members, as Gunlocke calls them are treated like dogs. Stay away!
Pros
Cons
one step up from a sweat shop
Excelente compañia
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAFebruary 15, 2018
Buenos beneficios, buena paga y el personal de oficinas de los mejores
Pros
Si y muy buenos
Cons
Buenisimos
Great Place to Intern
Production Intern - Seating Operations (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAFebruary 7, 2018
They give interns meaningful projects that help you develop professionally. There is also a great internship program set up that allows you to collaborate and network with fellow interns.
Fast paced
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJanuary 23, 2018
At times there are too many irons in the fire with a lack of clear direction. You learn to get close and then move on to the next task.
There is constant opportunity to learn new skills.
Only care about the 5 biggest clients
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJanuary 19, 2018
Many customer orders were not filled, even orders received 5 months early. This left schools with no furniture when school started. Production and management did not seem to care and when customers (dealers) called, production would not even give customer service and expected date to tell customers when they might receive their furniture. Customer service had to make things up to tell customers. Management did not care either.
Pros
some co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Hard boring Work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJanuary 9, 2018
HNI was very boring, but everyone was friendly and we worked together to get the orders shipped out on time and orderly.

Enjoyed the companionship you got from being with such a wide range of personalities
It was a fun work place, Friendly people
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IA 52761November 29, 2017
Hard work but friendly environment. Some potential for growth. Big on safety, big on worker moral. A fast pace environment but not a very stressful environment.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
To much repetitive type work.
Nice place to work
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IANovember 17, 2017
HNI was a good place to work with lots of opportunites within a very small city/ town. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for employement.
Ability to Drive Own Path
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IANovember 3, 2017
At HNI, you have the ability to work independently, make a difference, and try out several different career paths. The culture is different depending on the the different operating companies. Much attention is given to the stock price by the leadership team, and layoff/job cuts are one of the first ways the company will work to right their bottom line for the stock holders. The hours can be long but the company takes care of its employees. Work/life balance is important, and you are able to flex your hours. You are paid well for the area as Muscatine is a smaller community.
Poor
Contractor on site (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAOctober 24, 2017
It was a poor experience. Lack of engineering standards. Ureasonable expectatations. Micromanagement. Expected to work overtime on my dollar. After I was told I had to work on my own time I left. Never had I just left a job.
Cons
Lack of experience in management.
Decent workplace
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IA 52761October 10, 2017
average pay with lots of no value added work that gets pawned off on you by management, and very little knowledge of individuals daily workflow. Very old school in many practices and many individuals are not held responsible for their work or lack thereof. Makes it difficult to make change due to so many resistant to change minded management individuals.
warehouse work
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IASeptember 25, 2017
good place to work just had a few issues with work and school and school won. I would go back to work here again. In the warehouse the jobs are done by you with little supervision this I did like.
Pros
little supervision needed
Cons
short breaks