Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian Employee Reviews

Nothing good to say
PACU staff RN (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 26, 2018
Ruled by a culture of fear. Treated unfairly by management on a daily basis. Criminal unsafe staffing in perioperative arena at night. Abusive treatment of staff
Pros
Great view
Cons
Everything else, donations oriented not best patient outcomes
RN review
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 26, 2018
Great place to work. I love the night shift. Some floors are better than others to work on, but my floor is amazing. We focus alot on safety and fairness. Everyone is very supportive. They focus on excellent training, especially for new grads. There's a lot of opportunity for career advancement.
Amazing place to start
Adminadtrative Assistant/ Unit Coordidnator (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 17, 2018
People care here. Hoag is an amazing place to start working. The only down fall is they pay the low end of the scale on almost every position. However, the staff is not working “just for the money”. Staff is genuine and thoughtful; with big hearts.
fun place to work
Instrument Lead Tech (CRCST) (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 12, 2018
come in, do shift report, see what we need for the entired schedule for the day.work on the turn overs. order supplies for the department.
check to see if they are any broken scopes, cameras ETC.
Dedicated and conscientious employees working towards the same goal of caring and curing
Laboratory Technician I (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 12, 2018
Working in the Cell Biology Lab was a very rewarding experience that offered extensive training and opportunities to learn and grow within the position. Collaboration with clinical functions was satisfying.
Received Tons of Knowledge
Phlebotomist (Training) (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 11, 2018
Typical days at work are busy, and filled with compassionate approaches to patients. I learned the different ways to look for veins, how to decrease patient discomfort, proper bedside manner, how to approach grieving patients, and practiced order of draw. Management was available at all times, and workplace culture was mellow. The hardest part of the job was causing patient discomfort, but the most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of the patients with a sense of urgency.
I was in private practice
active Medical Staff member (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 7, 2018
I was not paid by the hospital to be on staff. I was only paid to be physician advisor to the hospital. It was fine because I got along with everyone. Balancing the physician advisor position, chair of the Department of Medicine and private practice in Internal Medicine was not easy.
Pros
collegial
Cons
had to work all hours
Floor staff was great!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 7, 2018
Co-workers and charge nurses were great to work with, felt very supported by them. Management left a lot to be desired. Director didn't even know the nurses on night shift by name let alone advocated for them.
Registered Nurse and worked in multiple high stress departments
Clinical RN III (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 7, 2018
Team work was key in the Emergency Department seeing over 200 patients per day, stressful given what problem the patient was there to be seen. The management had a "thru put plan" and there was lots of stress trying to get the patients taken care of.

Plenty of parties after work
Pros
I retired from here after 30 years
Cons
High stress position
Fast Pace
Patient Sitter (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 1, 2018
You will communicate/passdown with previous staff
Assigned a patient
Nurse aren't all that helpful nor nice
Helping patients was fun
SI watch/precaution
Huge organization.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 30, 2018
This hospital has a good set of values and overall a great mission. The campus is beautiful, but with a ten story tower to the west and a seven story tower to the east, it can be overwhelming by its shear size. The pharmacy department has amble amounts of staff. Various pharmacists and technicians going about their daily assignments. There are no per diem technicians to help with coverage for call offs and pto requests. Combine that with sporadic scheduling that seems to occur only two weeks at a time and you result with a poor work/life balance. If you need a day off for a doctors appointment or something it’s pretty much up to you to find coverage. People working here are nice and everyone seems to have longevity averaging 7-9 years. It’s a great place to learn as a new grad because you will learn everything there is to learn about Inpatient Pharmacy. If you’re seasoned you will have a harder time adapting to the culture.
Pros
Ocean views, Nice colleagues, night shift differential
Cons
Poor work and life balance, Strict attendance policies
Work
Ancillary & Clinical Applications Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 19, 2018
Work and get the job done. Work is work. I have nothing more to say and work is not my entire life. I had a wonderful view of the beach while i worked.
Productive yet relaxed environment.
Coding Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 16, 2018
Hoag Hospital provided a workplace environment that encouraged productivity and accuracy. Working remotely was the most enjoyable.
Continuing education was also provided.
Pros
Remote coding
Good learning hospital,friendly helpful coworkers
Relief Lead transport and Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 9, 2018
I enjoyed working here I learned a lot from other co workers to expand my experience and skills. Hoag has a wonderful campus wil tones of opportunity to grow.
Pros
Employee Recognition days
Cons
Recognition days
Ambient
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 3, 2018
I loved my night shift crew! Food is blah for nights (always the reserves), the fresh and yummy food is their always for day shift. Most of management cares and fights for they're employees.
Pros
Christmas party
Cons
the millions of dollars never went to the employees, but to buy furniture and make the hospital seem what its not. NOT A HOTEL, people are genuinely SICK. Better PAY for AIDES and NURSES.
Busy work environment with a lot of learning opportunities
Operating Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAApril 26, 2018
Working mostly on the weekends i was by myself in terms of other ORA's with the occasional person on call in case of heavy caseloads. The day starts out with picking up patients on a list and stocking th Operating Rooms so they are ready for the day. Then it goes into moving equipment needed for each case and cleaning up afterwards, so that the room may be used again. During each case requires listening and being attentive to the needs of the nurses, doctors and tech in each room, grabbing them extra supplies as needed.
great place, just better management
Lead/Food server/Grill cook (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 22, 2018
depending on what department you work, depends on chances of moving up. As for the kitchen, no way of moving up, but solid pay for the kitchen. down side, you wont learn much as in culinary techniques or knowledge, but you do work under pressure which is great. Management has favorites, but co workers all help each other out.
Pros
great pay, benefits, co workers
Cons
management
Cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 11, 2018
Hired to Hoag as a new grad, with hopes of becoming a nurse on the floor. Management was hesitant to promote from past experiences. It was frustrating to wait for a position.
Room for Growth and Advancement
Patient Care Assistant (PCA) (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAApril 5, 2018
Great company to work for if you are getting started in the medical field, specifically nursing. Highly recommend nursing students to apply for PCA or ECT role. Upon graduation and obtaining license, most units will move employees up to fulfill RN role.
Official response from Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
April 16, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. We try our best to create as many opportunities as possible to hire new graduate RN's into Hoag. One of the most effective ways we accomplish this is by hiring new grad RN's "all year round" into our clinical support roles, i.e. PCA, ECT, and CC/TT.

The majority of RN Residency programs that are our there are only offered twice per year leaving new grads often times discouraged due to the limited opportunities available.

At Hoag, we wanted to change that and provide new grad RN's and nursing students with the opportunity to start work immediately, so they can begin building their experience for a successful and rewarding career here at Hoag.

Great company to work for!
Patient Transport (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMarch 18, 2018
The culture at Hoag is caring and respect for employees and patients. The hospital has amazing nurses, physicians and support staff. The hospital's campus is beautiful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian. Our community is ready to answer.

Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian Reviews by Location