Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,791 reviews matching the search See all 2,796 reviews
Featured review
Hobby Lobby selected this as a representative review
Friendly workplace with lots of independent responsibility
Customer Service Manager (CSM)/cashier (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJune 26, 2018
It is a job that requires a broad variety of skills from the individual. No person has one set job, so everyone must be capable and successful at all basic functions. It is a good place to build skill, as well as team work.
Pros
Closed Sunday’s
Cons
Limited hours
Fun, fast paced work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 18, 2018
Working at Hobby Lobby is fun and fast paced. Everyone works together as a team to get the job done. Customers are generally happy, as people come here because they want to shop here and not because they must.
Pros
Get to meet and help many types of people. Co-workers are friendly. Employee discount.
Cons
Difficult to advance to full time in the company. Hours are not set.
Hobby Lobby
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 18, 2018
Was able to interact with customers by either saying "Welcome to Hobby Lobby" or by directing them to the area of the store they needed to find their items
Pros
Free food, breaks
Cons
Temporary Job
Fun Workplace and Challenging!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 17, 2018
I enjoyed working at Hobby Lobby. The environment was usually fast paced and you had goals you had to reach daily. The management was fair and usually very personable. The hardest part about the Job was the strict display changes. They could be challenging but it inspired growth and teamwork. The best thing about the job was working and designing new set ups within the store. You got to work with the new incoming products and create something you enjoyed.
Pros
Good Employees, Set Goals, Fun Environment
Cons
Late nights, holiday rush
Fun place to work, competitive pay
Frame Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYOctober 16, 2018
Hobby Lobby is a fun place to work with a different task every day. Pay, particularly full time starting wage, is very competitive compared to other retailers with opportunity for yearly raises.
Pros
Flexible hours, Sunday's off
Cons
Must available nights and weekends
Great work life balance
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 16, 2018
Working for Hobby Lobby has been great not only for my career but for my family life as well. It is hard work and there are some days that are tougher than others in the sense of tasks that must be accomplished in a short period of time. In my opinion those days are still far better than many other jobs I have had. You work hard and get rewarded by given the opportunity to continue to advance. Best decision I made.
Pros
Work life balance
typical warehouse job
Floater (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 15, 2018
fast paced job. good pay for any entry level position. lack of advancement in career. workplace culture is good. meet plenty of new people due to being temporary job for most.
Fast paced enviroment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sicklerville, NJOctober 14, 2018
It is a fast paced environment, good pay,good coworkers. Safe environment and learn a lot. Hardest part of management is knowing wrong from right and when to step up.
Department head
Department head for floral department (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 14, 2018
Enjoyed my job workjng for Hobby Lobby. Great room for growth and improvement through the company. Comfortable working conditions friendly staff to work with.
A joy to come to work with my amazing co-workers and management
Department Head (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 13, 2018
I absolutely love every single person at hobby lobby. Everyone is so nice and helpful, including the managers. The managers will help out and they do everything that we do. The hours and pay are great. I still get family quality time. When I'm at hobby lobby it feels like they are a second family to me. I would recommend to everyone to come and work with us. It's easy to move ahead here, they see how you work and if you do an amazing job they will promote you. This is my favorite job yet!
dont do it
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2018
Working at Hobby Lobby was a poor experience. The management team did not equipt employees with the resources needed. I however loved all of my co-workers.
Nice not bad job
Stockman / Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHOctober 10, 2018
Pretty good place to work. Good pay, decent treatment and nice people. Never any serious issue with manager. Overall well and appreciate being given a chance.
Pros
money
Cons
hours
Not the best place to work
Department Head (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 10, 2018
full time at 15/hr isn't bad but its basically moving product from one side of the store to the other. they are constantly getting new product in that has to be pushed. they don't scan items and dealing with crabby customers especially during holiday time is draining. christmas starts in may and you cant take vacation from the beginning of november until the end of january. for being a christian company you can't even see your family if they live out of town.
Pros
decent wage for retail
Cons
constant new inventory and terrible customers
Unsafe Work Practices
Stock Clerk/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAOctober 10, 2018
So when I was hired, I was required to watch a lot of safety and other workplace videos as well I was required to read an employee handbook. When I went to work, all of those practices were thrown out the window, the store managers were absolutely against closing isles for stocking even when working from high places. You were not permitted to have help carrying heavy objects up ladders. OSHA regulations do not apply. I finally said something to management and the next day, I was terminated their reason we have too many employees at this new store and unfortunately I was one of the least productive. Would make sense if they were not calling me in almost every day for overtime, and that they also hired new people that same week. I was fired because I called them out on their unsafe practices. It has been two years now and our litigation continues.
Pros
Fun work
Cons
Unsafe Business Practices Ladder Safety
enjoyed working in a dept where I had skills
Fabrics and Sewing (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COOctober 10, 2018
It was good to work in an environment where I could help people. I understood fabrics and sewing a lot an could help customers. It was sometimes difficult to work with public.
Pros
off all Sundays
Not the best, but it got me money
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Rogers, AROctober 9, 2018
Had to type in prices by hand at the register. Prices constantly changing, very easy to make a mistake when the customer is in a hurry and is expecting you to be able to key in items faster than a scanner at Walmart. Math skills are highly necessary and larger bills must be checked (50 and 100).

I learned that cashiering is not for me (without being able to just scan a barcode that is).

Positive is that you will never work in a Sunday and get a 15% off employee discount.
Fun place to work, good pay
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Kannapolis, NCOctober 8, 2018
Christian owned but same principles not consistent at store level. There is high turnover. Management team was unprofessional, which created in fighting and a crabs in a barrel atmosphere.
Pros
Great for developing craft knowledge
Cons
A lot of unscheduled projects which requires you to work past scheduled times without notice
Not big box
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 7, 2018
Not a big box retail environment, privately and family owned. Big Christian based feel to the company and everything they do revolves around that. Good company.
Fun place to work, great atmosphere
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NHOctober 6, 2018
Working at Hobby Lobby can be stressful at times but it is by far one of the best jobs I have ever had. It is a great place to work and they really value their employees. The pay could be better but it still is not bad at all.
order puller
Order Puller (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 6, 2018
There is not much room for advancement unless you are in the right management group. Its all about who you know not what you know. You have to maintain a good production.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
management usually don't know whats going on.
Productive and Creative
Framer (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAOctober 5, 2018
I loved the overall mission at hobby lobby and I loved using art everyday and assisting customers. But the manager would try to limit hours or overlapping employees to cut back on payroll so it was tiring doing the work of two people. If you have a better manager then this place is a great place to work.
Pros
Exciting environment, fast paced
Cons
Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hobby Lobby. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight