Hobby Lobby

Based on 1,881 survey responses
What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Great Place to Work

Featured review

Hobby Lobby selected this as a representative review
Treat your customers with respect and go the extra mile for them... Hobby Lobby will go the extra mile for you. I advanced quickly in the business and I Loved it.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Never ending busy work

Terrible management

At the time of employment I was told they were hiring for full-time, higher-paying positions but each week, management would make up a reason why they couldn't promote anyone. Management has unreachable standards and will expect you to compromise with their unprofessional demands.

Pros

Snacks on holidays

Cons

management, pay, workplace environment, benefits, weekly hours

Fun high school job

Work here while in high school. It was physically demanding on days we had to unload the truck and move stock throughout the store. But it was a fun first job. Loved all the people that I worked with. Made the days easier. If you don't mind retail I would recommend this job for sure.

Pros

great coworkers, decent pay

Cons

its retail so not the best work/life balance

Unfriendly management

Started working at hobby lobby. Worked there for 2 weeks. The job itself wasn't bad. However, no training, no communication from managers on what taak to do. Basically its a job you figure out yourself. Management was horrible. Management hires new employees and doesn't really acknowledge you after your hired. I was stuck stocking one section the two weeks i worked there. Was never shown any other type of work. Was hired fir part time and was given 40 or more hours each week. Was hired as a cashier and was never given the opportunity to show my customer service skills which i have 10 + yrs of experience. Coworkers are not friendly. Bad vibes and a terrible experience working there. I recommend skipping this place to work. Having sunday off wasnt a great reason for me to stay

Pros

Get to see all new products before hitting shelves

Cons

Bad management, low pay

Tedious with good compensation

The job is really simple and mentally easy. Depending on the area you pull it can be physically demanding. The warehouse is not climate controlled so summers can be uncomfortable, but they provide free bottled water. Certain areas are pretty crowded so social distancing is not possible. Hours are inconsistent and they typically range from 7 - 12 hour days depending on the time of year. Overtime is the norm. This company takes attendance and punctuality very seriously. It's a decent job if you work hard and keep a positive attitude. The people are generally nice and willing to help if you need it. There is room for advancement and growth within the company if you play your cards right.

Pros

Pay, Weekends off, Co-Workers

Cons

Long hours, Boring and repetitive, Uncertainty in schedule

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

good job for highschoolers

good place to work for high schoolers or just for a part time job really, they're very on top of professionalism here, must be good with numbers though

Fast paced environment but fun

I started as a part time employee and am now a store manager. In management, the job can be stressful. At times we are understaffed or simply do not have the payroll to spend in order to get tasks done as quickly as corporate would like; however, that is probably the only negative I can give. My DM is super supportive and has helped develop my management abilities and knowledge and gives great advice when needed. The staff have a close bond given they work so closely with one another on a daily basis. It gives the store a family friendly atmosphere. It is inspiring.

Pros

Management development; friendly atmosphere

Cons

Tight payroll leaving you short staffed at times

Meh

Was just a place to work manager's we're not bad but the pay was bad,but if went dealt with annoying customers and work either 8 hours or 2 the schedule was always messed up u get paid basically nothing every to weeks and my checks never saw above 600 even if I did over time.

Warehouse Receiver no time for anything

Working there made it so hard to plan anything because of the fact you never knew when you would get off for work. The managers that came in recently for our zone were not the best. I-One tried hard to help us out but the other had a temper and would cuss out employees. Then harass them until they left. Your production did not matter because you could be doing your job at a 300% rate and they would still ship you off to other zones despite being exhausted from getting in your zone.

Pros

people that i worked with

Cons

never knowing when your shift would end.

Ok work

It's retail, what can I say? I did enjoy the hours though. Having every Sunday off was nice and they were pretty flexible with my scheduling, as I was in college at the time.

Jobs at Hobby Lobby

See more jobs

Fun first job

I have huge issues with Hobby Lobby company culture (starting meetings with prayers, etc.), but the job itself was very fun. Management was not too overbearing, but also not very understanding of personal life. My coworkers were fantastic and there was very little workplace conflict. Overall, the culture was positive and fun, and I have not looked at Christmas the same ever since working here.

Pros

Fun coworkers, interesting products

Cons

Weird culture, low pay

Fast paced but very rewarding!

I absolutely LOVED my job at HL! I was there for 8 years. My work family there was (is still) like no other I’ve ever had. We all encouraged each other and helped each other with all the crazy retail ‘tasks’ that are required daily! The pay, benefits and Christmas bonus was excellent!! Working with customers on their framing was truly rewarding to see and make them happy!! However…. The store manager was completely horrible. And going up above did absolutely no good. I wanted to retire from there… but life changes and you have to change with it!

Pros

Great pay and benefits- always have Sunday off!

Cons

No (honest) help from Management

Overall not bad

The hobby lobby I work at is great as far as employees go and management. But it is a true retail job, long hours and excessive labor work load. The pay is great. Benefits are ok they offer medical/dental, no vision.

No budget for training

Management has no budget for training or employee development. If this is your first job in retail or you are just starting out you should pass. The company growth rate is very strong and if you can relocate this can become a career. Just don't expect much training.

Pros

Solid comparable compensation

Cons

Ok benefits 70/30 with 850 deductible, Biggest setback is no budget for training ever.

Flexible Schedule but Poor Management

Some days are good others were okay. Job pay way fair yet managers weren’t always fair to employees. Was given tasks that were not in job description and was also not given days off needed. Training was poor and was thrown into job.

Pros

Nice co-workers

Cons

Poor Management

They don’t care about you as a person

They have a bad sense of employee well being. They work you hard and the customers are rude. Management doesn’t help. The owner of hobby lobby is just in it for the money…he doesn’t care about his employees.

Good pay, stressful, boring

Been here for a year and a half started as seasonal became full time. Easy job but gets boring. Management is poor. Always switching managers. Coworkers were like family.

Good place with the right manager

It's a good company to work for if you have the right manager. Every store is ran with the same principle but not every stores management team is competent. I've been with the company 8 year had some good ones and ones who seam to struggle with proper planning and training of newer employees.

Pros

Pays well for retail

Cons

Unrealistic expectations

Just bad overall.

Condescending and gossipy managers are the main thing. I also never got any sort of proper training aside from the register. I'm constantly having to ask managers what to do because I was not taught how to work independently, then I'm looked down on for asking questions. I'm also technically working full time three out of four weeks a month so I stay at part time and they can avoid giving me benefits. I could go on and on about how awful HL is. I'm currently looking for a way out.

Pros

A few cool co-workers

Cons

Absolutely everything else

Energetic work place

I have worked for the company for going on 7 years and is literally the best retail job I’ve had in my working life. Sometimes we have to deal with drama, but that’s in all workplaces I believe

Pros

Fun, energetic work environment

Cons

Drama

Considerate scheduling,

(At my hobby lobby. Experiences may vary)As a part time cashier you're expected to be able to devote you're whole attention to being on the register and stop what your doing to go assist up front whenever you're called. Around the summer times it can be decent, fun even to work at hobby lobby. Christmas time however all of your time will be spent upfront at the register constantly ringing people up, and it can be HARD to get your break and lunch times may end up being late.My store we could not scan items. Prices had to be individually typed into the register, and the weekly sales discounts had to be essentially memorized, though they provided a sheet to look on every week.Part time workers do not get benefit's and scheduling may vary to just 1 day a week with minimum work hours to nearly full time hours during Christmas time. Advancements depend on availability of areas with the store, and it can be hard to get full time, as you have to ask if positions are available. For full time workers, expect to work every Saturday, and depending on store every truck day. For fabric section: It can be very nice! Just make sure you're always doing something, whether it's cleaning your department, straightening the fabric tables, or helping a customer. Expect to do some lifting. Some items of Fabric are heavy. Management at my store was... so-so. As part time if i needed a day off i was typically able to give it, provided i gave 3 weeks notice. BUT, in the fabric section we were often somewhat ignored.

Pros

Workable Scheduling, Sundays always off

Cons

Short breaks for part time, no part-time benifits, hard to advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hobby Lobby. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.4K
1.4K

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight