Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews

Found 2,601 reviews matching the search See all 2,606 reviews
Featured review
Hobby Lobby selected this as a representative review
Friendly workplace with lots of independent responsibility
Customer Service Manager (CSM)/cashier (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJune 26, 2018
It is a job that requires a broad variety of skills from the individual. No person has one set job, so everyone must be capable and successful at all basic functions. It is a good place to build skill, as well as team work.
Pros
Closed Sunday’s
Cons
Limited hours
Favorite
CSM / Department Head (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 19, 2018
If you aren't a "favorite" by management, you get treated pretty poorly. Huge gossip mill, even by management parties. Upper management doesn't take employees seriously. Not a very well run Christian company. Also, EXTREMELY outdated with technology.
Great Retail Job
Custom Framing Associate (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIJuly 19, 2018
Great job for someone needing flexible scheduling and customer service experience. After that it is easy to leave and find a better position elsewhere.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
little advancement opportunity
Retail Culture
STORE BOOKKEEPER/DEPARTMENT LEAD (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJuly 19, 2018
There is always something to do, whether it be stocking, setting new layouts, recovering sections, checking customers out, or handling customer service throughout the store. Depending on the year, and/or how profitable the location is, that initial list of things to do can fluctuate between smooth to stressful. Working in retail and different locations, you get to know a wide variety of people and learn how to handle situations and questions you may not have thought you would need to know. Management at every store is different and each store is thus ran a bit differently (though in practice each store should follow the same rules). At the end of the day though, you do what you can and clock out and start over the next day.
Pros
Full time benefits
Cons
Hours not guaranteed, policies vary
Hobby Lobby is a great place to work
Cashier/Customer Service /Stockman (Former Employee) –  Albany, OR 97321July 19, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Hobby Lobby and would have transferred had the new store in my new area been open. I would gladly go back to work for them and recommend it for supplemental income
Maybe just the location I was in
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHJuly 19, 2018
I love this business and what they stand for, however after 5 years I have yet to receive my full-time promotion, or even 1 raise. We have gotten a new manager and I have since in this last 2 months, been the victim of sexism,personal items disposed of, and my hours cut back by 30%. I also have been moved to night shift with no warning for my family to prepare to adjust to this change. The schedule is not one for people with families and men are not valued here.
Hobby Lobby
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 18, 2018
The job itself is fast paced and fun. The management, however, is not as good. Employees are treated as numbers and not as people. Always short staffed, which puts a lot of stress on other workers.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, TNJuly 18, 2018
Its a good friendly place to work. Learn a lot about different crafting items and sales. I have learned on how to do refunds and how the company is laid out according to products. Management is very good and friendly. Its a family friendly place, teaches you a lot of different responsibilities through out the company.
Pros
Very flexible work hours
Cons
I noticed as a part time employee I was closing way more than opening
Great Place To Work
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJuly 18, 2018
Very relaxing and peaceful place to work. Believe it or not that was my place to relieve stress the atmosphere just ease your mind and I always work gracefully and efficient. Enjoyed assisting the customers all around the store, it didn't matter if it was my department or not. I took ownership of the store. One of the best company's that I have worked for so far. There were no hard parts. I just got in there and did what I had to do.
Not what I thought it would be
Night Auditor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 17, 2018
The work itself isn't that hard but the heat and humidity are a battle most are not ready for and if you are then great but you have to contend with a time crunch to get where management wants you to be and the managers are not the most understanding after you've gone past your probation period. There are definite segregations between the workers and it is very "high school" with a lot of them. If you're hurt on the job they send you to doctors that clearly do not care about people in the least.
Pros
pay
Cons
Closed campus for night shift, no air movement inside
Promote From Within
Management Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 17, 2018
Hobby Lobby values a strong work ethic, high energy and a positive attitude. A typical day at work is a hands on environment from the part-time associate to the store manager. We work as a team to get the job done. All hands on deck. You will feel good about what you accomplished each day with your team. You will see the fruits of your labor each day. Over my time with Hobby Lobby I have learned that a successful store manager has to run a consistent store operation to be profitable. We must have clear goals and expectations and hold each and every person on the team to the same standards.Planning and organization are the key. Hobby Lobby started as a family owned business with strong moral values. To this day high ethical standards are required of all of our leaders and team members. The most difficult part of working for Hobby Lobby is working in a new market and maintaining balance in your life while the company and stores get established. The most enjoyable part of the job has been working in the new markets. Being a part of the team that built the new stores and their organizations and becoming one of the first faces and impressions for our new customers. Representing a great company like Hobby Lobby is the most enjoyable part of the job!
Pros
Company actions match their words, Growth, Opportunity, promote from within, company values, closed on Sundays
Only For Certain People
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 17, 2018
Hobby Lobby isn't a bad job but if you're not religious it's an odd experience. They have a really old system too so you count by hand for inventory and instead of scanning items, you type everything in by hand - all sales and coupons are memorized and done by hand. Holidays are extremely stressful!!
Pros
Discounts, Busy
Cons
Old, Bias
Organized work place and great team leaders
Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 17, 2018
The organization at Hobby lobby is indestructible. Working at hobby lobby taught me how to be professional rather it's dealing with people or doing my job.
Pros
Hobby lobby provide many programs for employee's
Cons
Cut back on hours
always something to do
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  La HabraJuly 17, 2018
I started to work at hobby lobby for fulltime and I do like retail but honestly I did feel a bit let down because, I hoped to have a permanent job. At this point I don't think I do. everyone is all seasonal for now until management gets their 30 person team out of 60 persons who are working their. I wish cashiers were able to scan products instead of manually inserting the price on the register, A lot of customers do complain about that. I do not like that we have discounts for teachers, churches, nonprofit organizations and they can not use the discount because they have to have a credit card of the schools name and or church or organization and yet those places do not give out credit cards. The inappropriate comments that comes from one of the managers is not called for. This store is a completely new store and everyone in this store is knew and we are all still learning everything and how the store works.
Pros
You get a discount and sundays off
Cons
inappropriate comments
Sounds Good
Store Co Manager (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 16, 2018
They are focused on results, not people or families. Old ways of doing business WILL make your job more difficult. Like many retailers payroll is nonexistent during 75% off the year. Do more with less.
Pros
Off Sunday
Cons
District leadership is a joke
Stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 16, 2018
My typical day at Hobby Lobby was not what I was expecting and was told. I did things that were out of my pay grade to make up for other employees. I learned very quickly as a cashier there and was only given 30 minutes of training to start helping customers. I found it very unfair because as other cashiers were getting hired, they were given days before they started assisting in helping customers. The hardest and what I found most difficult with the job was communicating with the manager, she would let me speak, spoke over me, talked down to me, and wouldn't allow me to switch shifts with other cashiers. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be during Christmas, because that is our busiest time of the year and fast pace.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Manager
Good Place to work
Retail Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJuly 16, 2018
Cons
not enough hours
Stressful and Rude GM
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXJuly 16, 2018
A typical day at Hobby Lobby was very stressful. The GM was very rude except to his chosen few that he favored. The reason I left was because I became pregnant and the manager was very careless and made me risk my health and loosing my child by carrying and lifting things I shouldn't have been carrying/lifting.
Stressful beyond belief
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed my job here until around the time we were told that we would find out whose staying and who was only temporary. This time had come about 3 or 4 times and still no one has heard anything. It is my belief they were just using us for the cheap labor as long as they could.
Productive and a family based place to work
FabricCutter (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, SCJuly 15, 2018
I enjoy meeting people and being able to assist them when they need it. I enjoy working with fabric. I love that we are all a close it family that work there.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Being part-time and not able to receive benefits
Fun people to work with
Customer Service Manager/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 15, 2018
Managers are good. Customers can be very rude. Most employees are good. Some are lazy which is a big inconvenience for other employees. Fast paced environment and lots of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hobby Lobby. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight