Hobby Lobby
61Average
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews for Customer Service Associate / Cashier

Customer Service Associate / Cashier258 reviews
United States258 reviews
Featured review
Hobby Lobby selected this as a representative review
Treat your customers with respect and go the extra mile for them... Hobby Lobby will go the extra mile for you. I advanced quickly in the business and I Loved it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Never ending busy work
The pay is good but you will have no life out of work! They will work you really good and have no flexibility on schedule or family emergencys! They dont care if you are dying sick you have to go into work or get written up and even fired! And in the holidays it only gwts worse but thats retail for you!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No flexible schedule, no days off
Work-life balance
Work-life balance here is fairly decent for a fast paced and growing retail store, as long as you communicate what you need and work with management as they work with you.

Pay & benefits

Starting pay for part time is decent, especially for students looking for a part time job.

Job security and advancement

It can take a while to move through positions, which can get a bit disheartening, but the work you do no matter your position is fast paced and rewarding so thay time flies by.

Management depends heavily on individual stores. This store's management has been the best management I've had so far in retail- very fair, open to communicate, willing to teach, and they genuinely treat their staff as an extension of their family.

Overall

Overall, I had a very positive experience working here. Management and other staff were great, and it's a great intro to retail and customer service. It takes time to move up, but its worth the wait. You gain a lot of skills from cashiering, to customer calls, to freight, to resets and possibly even working fabrics and frames. Its a very interactive and hands on job, and was very enjoyable overall.
I’ve enjoyed my time there and will be returning for the holidays. The job is fun for the most part. The only thing I didn’t like is I learned how to do returns and was stuck at the register. I’m a mover and a shaker and need to be about the store lol.
Pros
Breaks, great team, pay
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
My day includes working mostly as a cashier, which includes customer service, but I also assist in whatever else needs to be done. At this store you could work in the warehouse, stock shelves or design displays.

I have learned a lot about working with people in general. I feel the management is very good with employees and is fair. Overall everyone is friendly.

My favorite part of the job is talking to the customers and designing seasonal displays.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
N/a
Great people and great company. Working at Hobby Lobby has been amazing. Great pay and great energy from all the employers. I would recommend working here.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Covid19 layed off but its not their fault.
Their use of God and Christian values ensures they hire reliable honest employees however it is only a tool. The Christian values are left at the door as far as the company is involved. Their record keeping is highly questionable. Their inventory prices do not match the item. The inventory prices are higher than the actual cost of the item. When I brought this up the full time job I was promised was reduced to part time at best.
Employees are expected to "keep their head down" and just do their work. Management does not adhere to the same rules are employees.
Pros
more than minimun wage for full time
Cons
Conserative environment. Laws and constitution is subjective
I worked here for about 5 months. The amount of stress I had working here was crazy. I was hired part time and was told that I would be working 10-20 hours a week. I ended up getting schedules for 35-38 hours a week for a few weeks which is way to much for a full time student. When I talked to my managers about it, they seemed to brush off my request, but the issue was eventually resolved. A HUGE issue I had working here is that this company is still living in the stone age. When working as a cashier you have to MEMORIZE all of the sale items each week, and you have to type in the prices. They don't have scanners. For such a large chain company especially this is just insane. When making returns you sort of just guess what items are what and you have to pretend to be official about it but there is no way of knowing which items are what. The pay was decent (10.40/hr), but honestly it wasn't really worth the stress. The only good part was making friends with some of my amazing co workers.
Cons
The stone-aged cash register and inventory systems.
I worked there for almost three years, loved it for about two years and then things changed. The managers wouldn’t listen to the employees when we talked to them about how we felt about certain things happening on the floor. They said they would fix it but because that certain person is one of the favorites it never got better. Nobody is happy there anymore, I loved my coworkers but the environment wasn’t the same.
I love working here. I learn something new every single day whether it’s from a customer or from a coworker. The staff is super friendly and they make you feel extremely welcome.
Pros
Amazing and super friendly staff!
Cons
No cons can come to mind, great company!
I worked at Hobby Lobby and let me tell you it wasn’t great. They are super strict. They expect you to know everything without even telling you. I can’t tell you what I got fired for but I think most people would agree that they would have done the same thing had they been in my position. They have a lot of employees come and go and now I see why. They’re unfair to those who have just started working there and their training sucks.
Pros
Honestly none.
Cons
-Horrible managers -Poor Security -Expected to know everything -
I like hobby lobby and there are are some great things about there work environment but it’s just time for something new for me and I’m excited to see we’re this new adventure will take me.
Friendly co workers and great customers for most part. Boss yells at staff in front of customers and is very unprofessional on PA system and around customers. Feels more like Basic Training in Army than a store.
I felt like a cave man working here. Employees do everything by hand. I dealt with a lot of rude customers & poor management. My coworkers harassed me for my indifferent religious beliefs & sexuality. I was questioned about these personal things. I do NOT belong in a religious setting like this, yet I am Christian myself. The way they program is so inconvenient & outdated. It’s 2020, but not for them.
Pros
Customer service management is helpful, good breaks
Cons
No water at the register, Rude store manager, exclusive religious company
A good starter job for any craft lover. This job gave me so much inspirations for my own hobbies. I learned a lot about other crafts and it was great working with a creative bunch. This company is highly professional and is big on educating employees on the company, policy changes and how the store should be maintained. Being a cashier was sometimes challenging because their systems are outdated, you had to actually do math. There are no barcodes to scan and item so you manually have to look it up. They required you take test every few months that covered math, departments, products and sales. I feel this job would have good job security if there are any open positions for department lead. Being a department lead has responsibilities but is also fun. You have more control over the apperance of your department and gain a lot of knowledge about the products supplied. They are focused on customer service and with department leads, you have time to interact with customers. Leads are also in charger of stocking up their department. The downside is that if you are not full time (a department lead), once seasonal time ends, they cut your hour drastically. For part time, I was working as few as two to three days per week. They do that so that they can provide those hours to full time employees. It is because of no open positions and cut hours that I had to resign.
Pros
Culture, fun, good management, nice customers, creativity
Cons
pay, hard to advance, out dated registers
Not treated with respect and under paid... Also having to enter each price manually creates longer wait times in line, a scanner would be way more efficient
Pros
Flexibility in scheduling
Cons
Underpaid
This was a great job for me in high school, especially as someone who loves art and got to work in the art supply section frequently. Be prepared to be going going going all day long. Efficiency is everything here and slow days are extremely rare.
Very rude managers who really do not care about their employees whatsoever. I applied to be a cashier but somehow ended up being everything else too without me wanting to be.
I wasn’t totally happy there. It’s like the cashiers were not their #1 priority. Although I feel the cashiers should be treated more friendly. It’s probably not going to happen.
I love working at Hobby Lobby. My managers are very nice and are very understanding. I always get the help that I need and have never felt more respected at any other job.
I like working at hobby lobby because I am able to learn about different hobby’s I did not know there are so many out there and people take them very seriously.