Hofstra University Employee Reviews

Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 11, 2019
It is part of student employment and is great experience. Each graduate research assistant will have different tasks based on the teacher you work for.
Great job for a college student or a house wife
Senior Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting students on a day to day basis. I learned so much from working at Hofstra and administration. I also completed my degree. Overall is a great place for someone who wants to stay on the same job for years.
Pros
benefits, tuition remission, time off
Cons
low salaries
Simple and not very demanding
Student Aide, Phillips Hall Controller's Office (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 23, 2019
Work days were not very long or stressful. Work provided allowed me to meet and interact with many people in the office. Everyone was nice and approachable to talk to, and they are willing to help explain things if you are unsure about what to do.
Great place to start off
Course Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYFebruary 11, 2019
Great place to start out. It is a stepping stone. If you work here, you are eligible for tuition reimbursement which is a great draw for people who want to study and work.
Productive and social working environment
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYFebruary 5, 2019
It is a pleasure to be able to help people in Math courses. From teaching many people on different math courses, I got to learn and review a lot about the courses. I am confident that my teaching skills and math knowledge have improved and expanded ever since I started tutoring.
Pros
Meeting new people
Lifeguarding
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJanuary 28, 2019
This was a great place to work. My supervisor was very helpful, and always assisted us on the pool deck when needed. He allowed a lot of freedom to work independently.
Passable
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hofstra Univ, NYJanuary 11, 2019
Students are woefully underpaid (well below the minimum wage) but what can you do, really? It's a weird circumvention of the law that seems hard to rectify. For the most part, the managers are fine, so there is that at least.
Cons
Cap on the number of hours you can work as a student
Secretarial
Dean of Education (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJanuary 8, 2019
Filing, typing, running various errands, hours are appropriate, staff is very welcoming, must know campus well as sometimes will have to run paperwork to other buildings
Very time manageable for a full-time student.
Social Media Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYDecember 4, 2018
My work schedule is very manageable and flexible. I am very involved on campus and a full-time student. My work is very easy to fit into my schedule. I also get to meet and work with many great and helpful administrators on campus. I have to make it to different events to promote it on our campus. I've greatly learned how to work with people in many different areas, ages, and beliefs. The management is very helpful and direct in the needs for the position. Sometimes it is difficult to attend every event on campus. However, the school is very accommodating and helps me whenever I need it. The most enjoyable part is that I get to interact with so many different people, from those who work on campus to students to people visiting.
Did not work this was college
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYDecember 4, 2018
I was there to obtain my education to which I did as a Communications major with a focus on TV/Radio. College was at times challenging and at other times the most fun I've ever had.
Pros
College degree
Cons
Growing pains
Great Place to Work
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYNovember 18, 2018
Working for the Hofstra career center was amazing for me. You have access to so many talented people who all become your mentors in furthering your career. You'll receive so many opportunities while working here as long as u are driven and you look for them.
Student
Resident Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYOctober 23, 2018
Easy to get work as a student. but pay is very very low. apparently legal by federal standards as a nonprofit organization but below state minimum wage
reasonable management and work with high responsibility
Resident Safety Representative (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYOctober 9, 2018
For this job, every RSR need to work with high responsibility because students' safety is the most important. Supervisors are very kind and helpful. The job is not very difficult but important.
Campus Safety is Important
Resident Safety Representative (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYOctober 6, 2018
My job is to keep the campus resident hall safe. I need to record everyone coming to the residential building and make eye contact with each of them. If you have any trouble during your work time, you can call resident safety or public safety anytime. They will come to help you as soon as possible. My job let me feel living in campus is safe.
Pros
Time is flexible
Cons
low paid
Competitive work environment
Clerk Supervisor-evenings (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYOctober 3, 2018
A nice place to work overall. The benefits were wonderful. The pay was not enough to survive in New York. The people there are friendly and supportive.
Good Place to Work.
Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYSeptember 26, 2018
Hofstra University offers good benefits. The staff and faculty are friendly. The campus is nice. The job and work life balance is excellent. Also there is opportunity for career advancement.
Member, Golden Key National Honor Society (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Hofstra University was a wonderful Institution to obtain my undergraduate education. I would highly recommend this college to upcoming students. Prepared students well for Masters program.
Great experience
Student Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hofstra Univ, NYSeptember 12, 2018
i love the culture and the staff, everyone is very friendly and welcoming. If you ever need help understanding something there is usually someone there to help you through it.
Easy job if you enjoy working with children
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYAugust 30, 2018
Hofstra is a big university with a lot of activities for the children. You will be placed in a "specialty" (science, dance, tennis, cheerleading, math, swimming, anything you can think of).
Pros
Free lunch, free transportation
Cons
No breaks
Easy and Flexible Student Job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYAugust 17, 2018
I loved working in my department, mainly due to the wonderful coworkers I encountered. Everyone was incredibly nice and welcoming, and more than happy to accommodate my class schedule. I have heard overall good experiences from students working in other departments at the school as well.
The only downside was the pay rate; I was lucky to have a position that paid closer to NY State minimum wage, but many student jobs started much lower, at the Federal minimum wage. This put a lot of pressure on students to work as much as possible to deal with the area's extremely high cost of living.
Overall, I highly recommend getting a student job at Hofstra, but you may have to shop around to find the few student jobs with higher pay.
Pros
Very Understanding and Relaxed Managment
Cons
Low Pay