Hofstra University Employee Reviews

Get ready to be treated like a child
Technical Assistant - Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYAugust 14, 2018
I didn't last long here, and you wont either if you value your worth. If your first week involves comments such as "wow thank you for coming back," take that as a warning.

When I started, I was trained by one of the many associate directors who had recently moved up into that position from the one I was training for. She had to somehow figure out how to train me to do my job but also do her job at the same time. Somehow that was my fault and she took it out on me, frequently. Once she noticed my frustration she'd back off and say "yeah this position took me about a full year to learn." Then a few moments later she'd get frustrated again and couldn't figure out why I wasn't catching on yet after 2 weeks. I wasn't catching on because for about 60% of the day she would be in her office swamped with her own work that the director didn't want to do, with no time to train the new girl.

Also, interestingly enough, they expected me to be able to get work done in this giant back room where the work study students came in to gossip. Ahem, I mean "work." Everyone else in the department had a quiet office to concentrate. There was one open when I started but they ended up giving it to an employee that was hired after me. Okay. Way to make me feel valued!

To be completely honest I think this department really needs to reevaluate the work they expect out of their employees, as well as the training protocol, or they are constantly going to experience a high turnover rate. Just my humble opinion.

Don't get me started on the director. If you weren't a robot then you were automatically
  more... wrong in her book. That's all I'm going to say.

Health insurance was ok. Pay was a joke considering the cost of living on Long Island (to be fair, Hofstra isn't the only institution that doesn't take a livable wage into consideration). Tuition reimbursement was a huge plus, however, going to a private school for completely free still wasn't enough of an incentive to stay. Seeing job positions open in the department I worked for tells me I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Pros
free tuition
Cons
everything else
Growing Community Outreach
Retail-General Merchandise Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2018
Bookstore collaborated with several student groups to bring traffic and awareness of the services offer by the bookstore. Faculty and international students were offered special receptions to familiarize with the bookstore and its offerings.
Pros
Student temp and seasonal employnent
Cons
No advancement
Grad Researcher Job Summary
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYAugust 7, 2018
Worked in my Department on sustainability issues research while getting a Graduate degree and completing my thesis.If you get the opportunity to work in your major area, always do it.
Cushion workplace
Sr. Executive Admin (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NY 11549July 27, 2018
Budget planning, scheduling and assisting students make the day and time end smooth. Ordering items as needed, updating the course workload and appointments for faculty to collaborate with all students in a professionally manner makes the university run stress free.
Pros
Great office, easy and busy workplace also, good benefits
Cons
Na
Hofstra
Senior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJuly 25, 2018
Its great because you get to go to school for free, but the health insurance for a family is over $600 which is way to expensive. I like the job but need to relocate because the cost of living is higher than I can afford working in this position.
Pros
Free College
Cons
Expensive Health Insurance
Nice Place, Wish They'd Promote Better
Senior Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJuly 24, 2018
The place was a fine place to work and the people were mostly nice.

Sometimes, the supervisors expected a lot with little in return. Not many raises or fair salaries.
They hire well
AV Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJuly 12, 2018
Their talent acquisition has a good eye for technically strong people. I recommend this place for people who want to be surrounded by smart technicians.
fun place
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJune 12, 2018
Its a fun place to work . I approve of the place. The work day is not hectic but its not easy. In the end its fun place to work for. The manager is a good person
Pros
fun
Cons
manager
Flexible for everyone
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 24, 2018
Loved the level of flexibility here. Managers were really chill and understanding as long as you notified them in advance. Most employees were students which gave room for a lot of flexibility to find coverage. Definitely a stress-free environment.
Long Days
Spors Group Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 18, 2018
The days were really long. I lived far from Hofstra they had good transportation. the food wasn't good. there weren't many activities w were able to do with the kids. they were bored
Working with the customer and o was a cashier
Cashier/ Server (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 14, 2018
Working with the publish and being a cashier and a server to help customers satisfaction in what they order and always suggest to sell to make that customer come back
Pros
It was a nit organízate properly
Cons
You had to come in all given times
A good university
Student (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 9, 2018
Hofstra University is a great place to grow and learn. I am in the journalism department and it's filled with great professionals who have gone out and learned the ropes of the trade before bringing it to bear on the students they teach. Also the radio station is the best in the country.
Middling management
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 9, 2018
Most management is inexperienced. Career growth is almost non-existent. Benefits are good including free tuition and benefits for children and spouses.
Hofstra was great
Senior Assistant to the Associate Dean (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 2, 2018
I have been here a very long time in many different departments. In all my experiences have been great. With my degree I feel as though there are no other jobs here for advancement. The most enjoyable part are the people we get to work with. The hardest part was sometimes navigating my role within the department and wanted to do more but unable to.
Was encouraging to make a difference in students lives
TEACHING ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 30, 2018
This job helped me to grow by giving others in their life interests. There was a sincerity in the faculty that made co-teaching a pleasure. The Dean of my program always had his faculty and students first in mind.
Pros
Changing and guiding lives
A wonderful department
Teaching Assistant for Movement IV (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 22, 2018
I have loved working for the Hofstra University Department of Drama and Dance. The professors are very knowledgable and I feel I have learned so much from working with them closely.
extremely rewarding
Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 13, 2018
I love this job. It is the greatest work experience i've ever had. My fellow teachers all work with each other. The students love to attend as it is a wonderful opportunity and a place to grow and develop
Pros
wonderful and cooperative supervisors
Cons
no time in between sessions
Satisfying
Computer Consultant - Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2018
Working at the Frank G. Zarb school of business as a Graduate Assistant was a very satisfying experience. I have no regrets about my experience there.
Good place to Work as a student
Resident Safety Staff (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 9, 2018
I learned to be disciplined there at my job and everything is great from the leadership onwards. The workplace culture was great and also got to know the students as well.
Coordinator for Systems Support (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 5, 2018
Hofstra co-workers have a strong work ethic and are very collaborative.In Student Financial Services employees from different department come together to celebrate Birthdays at the end of the month.