Hog Slat Employee Reviews

Seniority means nothing to them.
AI Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCSeptember 18, 2019
They do not stand behind their employees that have been their a long time. Seniority means nothing to them and years worked. Worked with them for many years and in the end I was very disappointed with them.
Benefits
Cons
Family Business
Look Else Where Bad Place to Work
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rosyton GAAugust 28, 2019
If you dont mind being over worked and under paid and work with a lot of totally dishonest managers and supervisors then this is just the place for you.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Hog Slat/ GPE/ Eastern Shore
Worst most dishonest company I ever worked for!!!!!
Assembler (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 25, 2019
Terrible Upper management, lack of concern for safety.
No reviews and no raises as they promise in their company handbook.
Very little support or ethical integrity from upper management in the DC, Purchasing or from the Comptroller.
Comfortable and worker oriented place of work.
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCApril 12, 2019
I feel that this a very good company to work for. The work is productive, but management makes you feel like priority instead of just another worker. This business is well ran.
Maintenance tech
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Universal, INApril 4, 2019
I have never worked at a job where everyone walked out and quit but 6 people. I didn't maybe I should have. Awful management. One of my worst jobs ever.
Pros
You walk out smelling like kerosene
Quick pace. Constant customer interaction
Counter Sales (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, IAMarch 27, 2019
Hog slat counter sales position can be quick paced with lots of customer interaction, both face to face, and over the phone. There would definitely be no reason to get bored, as there are many things to occupy your work day. Shipping, stocking shelves, housekeeping, and the usual flow of customers keeps you busy and makes the day go by quickly. If you enjoy interacting with people daily, this is an excellent place to do it.
Pros
Good hours
Tough but rewarding
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCMarch 5, 2019
This job will not suffice for the weak, slow, or stubborn. You will have blisters on your hands, aching backs, and sore feet. You got to be fast to keep up with the demand for product. Lunch is only 30 minutes so there is little time for rest. All of that said, Hog Slat (slat plant) is highly rewarding with great pay and benefits. Vacation time is accumulated quickly and you get extra bonuses if you don't smoke. exercise regularly, and are healthy. Hog Slat has a saying " A healthy employee, is a productive employee." so they will take care of you to make sure you take care of the company. Thanksgiving , 4th of July, and Christmas the company gives you a free hour long lunch which is usually made fresh on the grill on location.

If you work hard and endure you will get paid well, as well as summer months usually allowing for 10 hours of overtime.
Pros
good pay, great benefits
Cons
tough work, very hard to advance
Very disappointing
Crewlead/Forman (Former Employee) –  Sioux Center, IAJanuary 28, 2019
There were long work days and always on the road.I was Never home and i got Little pay for all the jobs i did. I would have to pull 14 hr days if the job was done wrong by crew.
Pros
travel alot
Cons
travel alot and low pay
un-realistic sales goal in time provided
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Union City, OHJanuary 18, 2019
I was hired with the intentions of growing business locally. Job offers alot of flexibility. Typical day is cold-calling/emailing new and existing customers. Can be difficult to get farmers to agree to meet. This would be a great entry-level sales job for a guy right out of college in my opinion. Not a guy with a family to support or "proven track record". The bottom line is.... Hog Slat will give you a decent salary and a guarantee commission for 1 year..... If you don't reach the "verbal" goal.... You're done! Beware if you leave a job with security. It's not good enough to make progress. Too cut throat in my opinion. The market is very competitive which leaves you limited realistic sales opportunities.
Pros
flexibility, not confined to one place, meeting new people
Cons
un-realistic, lack of communication by management, limited resources
Good
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCDecember 13, 2018
I had a fun experience working here. I learned a lot of values that i can use in my day to day life inside and outside of work. I really enjoyed workin for this company.
Productive work
Robotic Welder (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCNovember 18, 2018
It’s a good job great people to work with it just that work is very productive you have to keep up with production sheet to maintain your job but the place has great work mixed racist
not a bad place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Humboldt, IANovember 14, 2018
Trying to work with people who annoy you was the hardest part of this job. Things you needed to complete a task were readily available and if not they were gotten for you.
not the best
Finisher/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Universal, INOctober 1, 2018
Hot and very dirty. Not much care shown about safety and osha regs. No respect shown to senior tech's or white people. If you're not Spanish you get treated unfairly.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
mid management is poor
Hog Slat
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Humboldt, IAAugust 29, 2018
I learned 4 different positions in the little time is was there. The days were easy fast paced it can get a bit stressful when trying to get the deadline and short staffed. .
would be better to work at if building had heating and air
Assembler/Production (Current Employee) –  Clinton, NCAugust 24, 2018
Company is not bad to work for but buildings have no heating in air except in offices. Buildings are scorching where workers are that build the merchandise in summer and freezing in the winter which slows down production. if employer would install heating and air unit the production rate would increase dramatically and they would see a lot of improvement in moral with the employees
Pros
extra vacation day with wellness involvement every 3 months
Cons
not much room for advancement
Good place to work ...at first not so later
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJune 4, 2018
Management is always looking for someone better qualified to replace you with.
No input from upper management to help you to improve, or to let you know that you need to improve.
productive fast paced nice coworkers
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Humboldt, IAMay 14, 2018
hag slat was a great place to work. i do not recommend the new warehouse manager.he tends to favor some departments, makes poor decisions(equipment purchases) is untruthfulland treats employees unfairly
Pros
great co-workers.
Cons
warehouse manager
Fun and laid back
Counter Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMay 8, 2018
Laid back job but lots of work to do. Skeleton staff and a little more manual labor than what I expected. Distribution center lacks organization and proper help and customer orders and re stock items are often shipped wrong.
Pros
Different day to day
Cons
Pay
Very hands on job. Crazy hours.
Load Crew (Former Employee) –  Flora, INFebruary 3, 2018
The hours for this job were different each day and it was difficult to balance my work and school life do to this. I take night classes and am able to work until 4 in the afternoon, but here I never knew when I would be getting off of work.
fast pace
WELDER (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCJanuary 18, 2018
its a fast pace job where you have to learn quickly the hardest part of the job is adjusting to all the different positions you have to complete the best part is the pay and the benefits.