Hog Slat Employee Reviews

Good place to work ...at first not so later
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJune 4, 2018
Management is always looking for someone better qualified to replace you with.
No input from upper management to help you to improve, or to let you know that you need to improve.
fast pace
WELDER (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCJanuary 18, 2018
its a fast pace job where you have to learn quickly the hardest part of the job is adjusting to all the different positions you have to complete the best part is the pay and the benefits.
good work place
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJanuary 5, 2018
work start at 230 go to the office get the shipping list and then go get the next truck to load or undload and have done in a time mange then go get the next loads ready for the next day
Awful place to work
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCSeptember 23, 2017
Unless you get a job in the main office, I would not recommend working here. Salary not too great, working conditions not good in some areas. Management doesn't care about its people.
Tenia mis descansos
Builder (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCSeptember 1, 2017
Una fábrica muy estricta pero flexibles con cada empleado.cada una de las personas que forman parte de esa compañía son muy responsables y trabajadores
Pros
Si proveen
Cons
No dan mucho over time
Good workplace poor management
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJuly 27, 2017
The company and workplace are excellent to work in but management is the main issue. Poor management no room for advancement due to favoritism. Other than that a wonderful company
Great workplace.
Customer Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCMay 24, 2017
Laid off in 2009 due bad economy.
All staff very nice and great to work with.
Very educational in swine and poultry equipment.
I really enjoyed working at Hog Slat.
Diverse, Warranty and Actively stand behind their products.
Midwest Outside Sales Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDApril 25, 2017
Confident you will be backed by the sales, and engineering team in regards to ensuring you supply the customer with a product that works. Whether it is put out there and fails, you will get accomplished and a resolution in place with the customer to be certain the end result is a working product that improves in some way whatever it may be on the customers production site.
Productive, very exciting
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJanuary 22, 2017
Loved the long hours and how productive the job way. Loved learn and experience the company. Supervisor could have been more professional and respectful.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Short breaks and supervisor
Poor management/Unsafe work enviorment
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJanuary 14, 2017
The distribution (Shipping/Recieving) part of the plant in (Clinton, NC) is a total joke. HIGHLY unsafe, and your hard work is never rewarded.HORRIBLE
Pros
Honestly.. none
Cons
Just walk in the plant and see them for yourself
poor quality work is produced now
Production Welder (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCJanuary 6, 2017
was glad I got laid off. Has a large number of illegals who work there.
management where idiots, production was placed way too high,
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
bad experiance since the original owner's kids took over
Good place to work, good benefits, good hours, but not enough pay.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Flora, INJanuary 2, 2017
Hog Slat is a decent place to work. However, it lacks opportunities for advancement. Job does include some benefits, but the hourly pay rate could be increased.
Buena compañía
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEDecember 11, 2016
Me gustó trabajar con esta compañía y les doi gracias por haberme dado la oportunidad de conocer y aprender a soldar y los supervisores son muy buenos muy amables
Horrible work experience
Concrete Finisher/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Washington, IADecember 8, 2016
I did not like working at hog slat, the way they treated people was horrible. I'm surprised I stayed for two years. But you know what, I got a family to feed and bills to pay.
Great work environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCNovember 29, 2016
Learned to work with blueprint, measurement required to fill customer orders. Pressed and created metal parts as needed for vendors.
Not a very nice place to work
BOM (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCApril 21, 2016
In my opinion, Hog Slat was not a very good company to work for. I had to find a new job because I simply was not happy there.

I worked first shift, so I had to wake up early and get out around 5pm. If it was a more enjoyable place to work I wouldn't mind this, but since it wasn't, this was just another con.

My manager was a very good person, but suffered from bipolar disorder. It became unbearable to work with him when he had outbursts and there were many times where I felt personally targeted, though I tried very hard to do my work thoroughly and properly. I truly believe I just wasn't cut out for the job.

I also didn't get along with many of my coworkers, which is strange for me. It reminded me of a high school setting, where people were very judgmental. Since it is a male dominated place, I very often would get demeaning, misogynistic comments thrown my way. I even got sexually harassed by one coworker, whose comments went above and beyond the line. Fights tended to break out, people talked rudely to one another, and hard work didn't get you very far. The only way to rise in this company is to know someone and there are some managers who won't like you for reasons that have nothing to do with work and if that's the case, then you don't have much of a chance of working there. That was not my situation, but the situation of many others. They didn't give out raises until people started leaving for better jobs, especially when Rooms to Go opened its distribution center in Dunn. I personally know of one employee in another department who worked harder than most people
  more... I've seen who left because he felt unappreciated and couldn't get a raise, though he was promised one time and time again.

I would be lying if I said I didn't make some memorable friends there that I do miss working with, but I could never bring myself to return to Hog Slat. It might work for someone more suited for that type of job, but it simply wasn't for me. I am very thankful for the knowledge I gained of tools, however. It's proven to be quite useful.
Cons
No recognition, long hours and minimal pay, terrible healthcare, terrible management, no discipline
Production
welder (Current Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCDecember 15, 2015
I work full time 40 per week or sometimes 32 depending on work. In the morning I go to school, one more semester and I will graduate d with an associates on welding. My responsibilities on hog slat is to make production using mig only, I get alone with my co-workers just fine. The hardest part is to make production.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
The People you work with side by side matters most
Robotic Welder (Former Employee) –  Newton Grove, NCSeptember 2, 2015
They hire when the demands of orders are high. Pay sounds decent because they also offer commission on top of what you make. However if you make you daily amount, they give you a bad review for not making far more over production. Hypocritical.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
insurance is expensive, expects for you to do everything alone that a 5 man team does.
good company but poor communication between departments
Feed Budget Mgr./Market Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Flora, INAugust 16, 2015
make orders of pig feed for delivery to farms,marketing and scheduling livestock transportation to packers. too much is done on estimated information
Had great shift hours to fit in with what I was looking for
Order selector (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCJune 18, 2015
It was very busy on day by day basis, learned to operate reach lifts,worked with a great team effort co-workers,summertime was the worst for the job,when all orders were pulled and shipped out at the end of the day.
Pros
day shift only
Cons
short lunches and breaks