Hogan Lovells US LLP Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
One of the two best law firms ever in my entire career.
Word Processor & Floating Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 24, 2018
Always busy daily. The IT Department kept all technical needs up-to-date and running smoothly on a constant basis (a huge bonus). Management always listened and very fair regarding any and all situations like unresolved issues, current problems, compliments, positive acknowledgements and yearly reviews. This Denver office was/is blessed to have such a high percentage of terrific people from the managing partner and management, all attorneys, staff and the teamwork was the best ever. A 5-Star rating with no hesitation!

The only hardest part of the job for everyone in the firm were those off & on times of heavy stress just like any other employer has.
Pros
An outstanding firm to be with!
Cons
Stressful times like any other employer; however, the stressful times at this firm were always acknowledged and appreciated!
Good place to work.
Attorney Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2018
I worked at HL, formerly Hogan & Harrison, LLP for 23 years. I worked for a team of attorneys from various practice groups and enjoyed my time at this prestigious firm. I made many lasting friendships and have nothing negative to say about the firm.
Concierge desk floater (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2018
Hogan Lovells is on the top law firms to work at. Not only is the law firm in a great location but metro accessible. Hogan Lovells provides excellent pay, benefits, and compensation. They have there own cafeteria with the best food. The work environment is great. You meet a lot of wonderful people at this company.
Pros
Cafeteria, Overtime, location, work events
Cons
Attitudes from hire management and some partners
Good Firm to Work For
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2018
Hogan's culture is collaborative and generally, the people here are wonderful and easy to work with. Though the job is demanding, the benefits and amenities are fantastic and if you want a high-paced, sophisticated work environment, this is the place for you.
Simply Awful
Attorney (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 20, 2017
The management allows terrible behavior on the part of some high earning partners, to the detriment of staff and associates. The firm hires contract associates when it can, works them like slaves and pays them less than first years. No benefits. Bad partners run amok in some offices. Unequal pay for women. Lack of fair advancement potential. Stressful and depressing.
Pros
Some nice people work here
Cons
Terrible culture of inequality, failure to advance women, tolerance for harassment and a toxic work environment
I have to say this was my biggest learning experience
Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2017
I learned a lot, i still have life long memories. This was a great start to my move to Dc. I have to take the good and keep moving forward. Life has many lessons.
Pros
Salary was good
Cons
No comment
What I learned
Attorney (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 27, 2017
Find a position that has an established long-term track. There may be a pattern of finding reasons to lay people off instead of trying to grow the business or use attorneys in other groups.
Attorney (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2017
Renowned global law firm with multitude of practice areas. Strong positive firm culture allows everyone to succeed and play a role in the firm's overall success.
Pros
Many
Cons
Many
Hogan Lovells LLP, Los Angeles, CA is a nice place to work
Finance/Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lost Angeles, CASeptember 21, 2017
Management is very pleasant. Workload is extremely heavy which I enjoy but it doesn't give you time to get to know your co-workers. So we have to make a date to get together at least once or twice a month.
Pros
Free lunch some time
Cons
No that I can really say
Corporate environment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  COSeptember 16, 2017
Corporate environment
Top heavy management
Good reputation in the legal arena
International resources
Large & provides competitive benefits and salaries
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Corporate - Always conscious of the bottom line - often can't help middle Americans
OK place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20004August 17, 2017
I worked for several attorneys in several different areas of law. I enjoyed the work. Things changed and changed. The hardest part was not being appreciated for the job that I was doing. Giving people power that had no clue. The most enjoyable part was the people that I had grown to know and work with for years. We were like a family until the end when the firm merged and things changed drastically amongst the family. We became divided and it was sad.
Pros
Great working hours.
Cons
Bad management
Good workplace
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2017
Hogan Lovells is in a great location and some really nice people. Fast paced and can be stressful. Days are filled with a lot of variety. Nice benefits.
Aspiring Global Firm with a Strong Culture
SERVICE DESK ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 5, 2017
Hogan Lovells has a strong desire to hire the right people and keep them, and keep them happy. Benefits packages are strong, and retirement planning options are quite excellent. When the company looks to make a move, they look at it long and hard before leaping, ensuring a strong success at almost every opportunity. Long, happy tenures lead to a lack of advancement opportunity, however. There is also a resistance to adapt to current technologies, which can cause some backlash. The company has a strong culture of community involvement and works hard towards green, energy efficient, and carbon-low approaches to the environment. Overall a good place to work if you're seeking something stable and with a community presence.
Pros
Great benefits. Posh accommodations. Global mindset. Job security.
Cons
Political environment, Slow to adapt to technology, Advancement for non-lawyers is rare
Top Tier International Law Firm
Counsel (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2017
An amazing place to work and pursue an international legal career. We help our clients solve their most challenging legal and business issues. Colleagues include the top lawyers around the world.
Okay place to work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2016
A typical day at work involved covering up to 7 attorneys and whatever else was put on you that day. There was always work to be done or something to learn.
I learned you can do more than you think you can if you apply yourself.
Management could use a facelift.
I truly enjoyed my co-workers. They always pitched in to help.
The hardest part was making 7 attorneys feel as if they were the most important person that you were working for each day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when we were all working together for the common good of the company and getting the job done and out the door with a win. I enjoyed knowing what was going on and being informed of their expectations for the day.
They kept up with the latest technology and had a great IT Department that came to your desk to help as well as offer training classes.
Great work life balance
Real Estate Litigation Attorney (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
Great, family-friendly firm. Great work-life balance. Firm offers generous benefits packages and great maternity/paternity leave. Lots of firm-sponsored events. New office lounge makes it easy to meet other members of the firm and make partners more approachable.
Pros
Great office lounge
Management is just OK
Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
Need new management. They are a law firm trying to operate as a corporation and it is not working out too well. Overall the company in the culture of the office can use some morale and little more flexible in how to manage their ENTIRE staff.
Pros
Benefits are great.
Cons
Management less desireable.
Get things done
Accounts Receivable Assistant- Accounting/Finance (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2015
• A typical day at work- most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for projects, prepare cash report, present to executives, partners, accounts payable and collections department to identify issues, client requirements, and key stakeholders to ensure transactions are accounted for in accordance with established company policies, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• What I learned- to be rigorous, positive, problem solver, persistent, adaptable and detail oriented.
• Management- very organized
• Co-workers- dynamic
• Most enjoyable part- learning new things
Client-focused position
Attorney (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2014
A typical day at work involves multitasking between attending court appearances, drafting motions and responding to client inquiries.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Managing workload
Good work environment but management isn't the best
Patent and Docket Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 4, 2014
Learned a lot at the firm, but management is not completely honest with workers about changes happening within the office.