Hoist & Crane Service Group Employee Reviews

Office Planner (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 5, 2018
Great Place to work. Great benefits. Great staff. It's pretty relaxed. You come in do your job and go home. You will get most holidays off. Benefits were great also.
nice plce to work
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, LAMarch 19, 2018
very friend place to work and family oriented no one lokking over your shoulders and you go to different places to work everyday you get paid every week and up to 50 hours a week
Promise one thing, deliver another
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 12, 2018
I gave up a job with 50-60 hours a week after being promised 70+ hours a week. I'm 4 months, only had hours more than 40 3 times. Had to take vacation time to get 40 hours some weeks.

Lack of accountability was also prevalent in the office. Wro my parts were ordered and blamed on service techs even though management was given all the info. Also, office personnel stated that since corporate was getting on them about the lack of hours, they had no problem with collecting unemployment. Not very assuring to others who relied on getting hours to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Also, the nepotism was very glaring. No such thing as seniority. Junior techs would get twice the hours as some senior techs.
Pros
Plenty of time off
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 10, 2018
Great place for technician, they have a trade school. Great place for management, they will put you through there training classes. They have a great training class and lab in New Orleans.
Fun Job
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 24, 2017
This company was a wonderful company to work for. They offered uniforms and paid time off. Sick time was also paid. I enjoyed the traveling that this company had offered. They also had great benefits.
Employee (Current Employee) –  RichmondAugust 15, 2017
The safest crane service company in the industry. This company offers training to all levels of employees and will pay for all expenses to send employees to be trained in the corporate headquarters. They offer many electrical and mechanical classes to increase the skill sets of technicians.

There are plenty of opportunities for overtime hours here. Technicians work in new places every day and manage their daily jobs.

Great pay and full benefits package offered. Company has been in business for 40+ years and is still growing which provides a great sense of security. Many opportunities for promotion from within.
Pros
Pay, new tasks daily, safety, training
Cons
Stressful job sometimes.
Bad company
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2017
Was black balled by other techs before I had a chance to prove myself.was treated like a black sheep cause I passed their assessment to get a company truck when another associate couldn't pass the assessment. So everyone was disingenuous to me and shoved me to the side with out giving me a chance to Excel.
Pros
Cons
Highschool click type of workplace
Official response from Hoist & Crane Service Group
August 15, 2017

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience working with us. We strive to create the best possible work environment where our employees can grow and achieve success. A negative experience is not our intention. All comments are reviewed and we appreciate your feedback. We wish you the best in the future.

Constantly being sent out of town to work
Technician V (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 13, 2017
When I was first hired, I was told that I would work in town most of the time. However, I was constantly being sent out of town for weeks at a time. I really got tired of having to live in motels and eat very little to stay within the allotted perdiam.It was a very hot and demanding job. Sometimes the temperatures would reach 130 degrees.
Do not recommend
Millwright/Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2017
No advancement opportunities, poor personnel in management positions, gain customers then lose another one, cannot keep personnel busy, hardest part of job was trying to get 40 hours a week as a technician, unless you were in with the management click.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Disorganized
Take Work Truck Home
SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2017
get with your driver/partner, drive all over the city looking for the company your supposed to go to do repairs at, workplace had no cultural taste, just country western everywhere...the hardest part was getting that little check on fridays
Pros
independence while on a job
Cons
work not evenly distributed
steady hours good overtime.
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 4, 2017
overhead crane technican, responsible for repair and inspection of overhead cranes and jib cranes. Steady 40 hour work weeks with overtime as required.
Good pay
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHMay 25, 2016
long and hard
working with different companys.
good management.
good to work with.
traveling, long hours
enjoyed working with people
Pros
Good pay
Cons
long hours, on the road a lot
Productive place to work
Technician (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LaSeptember 5, 2015
Good company to work for.
Decent Pay Benefits.
Advancement in company is decent.
Veteran Technicians willing to teach.
Pros
Relaxed Atomosphere
Cons
Retirement isn't so pleasant.
Needs new management
Assistant Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 5, 2015
The Baton Rouge branch leaves a lot to be desired in the management department. Upon interviewing I was told after 90 days I would receive a $1.00 per hour raise. When the time did come I was told that if it is not in writing, then I could not force them to honor that. This is a very underhanded tactic that I witnessed the manager say to multiple new hires. Once hired the job security is definitely there though. One would have to mess up pretty bad in order to get fired. Advancements in the monetary sense are extremely hard to acquire, however, once proven competent or the senior techs give their approval (make sure you become friends) advancement can be acquired in the form of a company truck. Most of the techs were helpful and knowledgeable but there were a couple that give the company a bad name.
Pros
company truck, paid vacation, 401, direct deposit, health insurance, advancement opportunities
Cons
low pay scale, management is underhanded, work comes before life mentality
Great Company for a Career
Field Service Tech (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 2, 2015
Great company to work for. Best compensation in the industry. Paid technical training. Easy to move up in the corporation with training provided. Good benefits and retirement program. Progressive company willing to listen to new ideas and act upon. This not just a job but a career. Their 5 Marks culture and safety programs none better. This company wins safety awards on a regular basis. The company cares about the people who works for them.
Pros
compensation
Does not value safety
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Beech Island SCJune 8, 2015
Compensation was fair, management was poor, no uniforms, no work office in the field, safety is not a major concern nor following through with corporate mandates. Worked there 4 months, not a very well organized company to work for
Pros
compensation
Cons
safety and management
Stable but Growing company that values longevity
Office (Current Employee) –  Jefferson, LAFebruary 6, 2015
I have been with the company for almost 3 years. The work environment is productive and well paced. Management sets expectations that are challenging yet attainable. Company is willing to hear suggestions for improvement and seeks opportunities to utilize people where their talents are most needed. Company is large and there are a variety of personalities, but all have the same attitude toward teamwork and doing a job well done. The company prides itself on longevity and hiring people that are looking for a career, not just a job. I have never enjoyed coming to work as much as I do here.
Pros
great working enviroment, personable co-workers, helpful management team
Cons
no dental or vision
Official response from Hoist & Crane Service Group
June 18, 2015

Dental, Vision, and Short Term Disability are now offered to all eligible full time employees as of July 1, 2015

Very disorganized company
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Beech Island, SCJanuary 24, 2015
Just from my experiences, this company needs better communication and to be truthful about the scope and types of work/ethic that is to be expected. There is also very little work ethics investigation into employee concerns such as safety, workplace hostility or general company/client work rules and policies. No local office, no company tools/storage of personal tools, no written warning system for employee termination or suspension.
Pros
decent pay, company vehicle (shared)
Cons
forced one hour unpaid lunch breaks, no company tools, no training, zero smoking policy, no regard for the health or wellbeing of employees, no offices or uniforms, bad management, no dental benefits
Good but needs work
Offshore and Onshore Asst. Crane Tech (Former Employee) –  Harahan, LAFebruary 19, 2014
Hoist and carne is a great place if u have experience but if not it may not want to be the first place u go. Most managers don't understand what needs to be done for a job to be complete nor do they understand the job all the time. they see a job say go and don't understand what it takes to really get a job done.
Stable Income, not much room for growth
Planner (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2013
Fairly quiet office environment. Not a lot of room for growth after entry level positions. They do not promote within the company very often.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hoist & Crane Service Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Hoist & Crane Service Group Reviews by Location