Hoist & Crane Service Group Employee Reviews

Great employees
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  USANovember 7, 2018
The employees are good people, the management however keep you worried about your job at all times, there is zero job security. Family ran company and it shows everyday.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
Family business and that shows
Great Career
Technician VII (Current Employee) –  CincinnatiAugust 28, 2018
Perfect opportunity to start a new career. Many new directions and opportunities continue to become available.

Recommend for anyone looking to learn a trade and build a career.
Pros
Opportunity
Office Planner (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 5, 2018
Great Place to work. Great benefits. Great staff. It's pretty relaxed. You come in do your job and go home. You will get most holidays off. Benefits were great also.
nice plce to work
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, LAMarch 19, 2018
very friend place to work and family oriented no one lokking over your shoulders and you go to different places to work everyday you get paid every week and up to 50 hours a week
Promise one thing, deliver another
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 12, 2018
I gave up a job with 50-60 hours a week after being promised 70+ hours a week. I'm 4 months, only had hours more than 40 3 times. Had to take vacation time to get 40 hours some weeks.

Lack of accountability was also prevalent in the office. Wro my parts were ordered and blamed on service techs even though management was given all the info. Also, office personnel stated that since corporate was getting on them about the lack of hours, they had no problem with collecting unemployment. Not very assuring to others who relied on getting hours to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Also, the nepotism was very glaring. No such thing as seniority. Junior techs would get twice the hours as some senior techs.
Pros
Plenty of time off
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 10, 2018
Great place for technician, they have a trade school. Great place for management, they will put you through there training classes. They have a great training class and lab in New Orleans.
employees are not team players
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2018
Everyone is not a team player. You have to watch your back on everything you do.. The upper management looks out for themselves and no one else.I would not recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pros
some good employees
Cons
to much back stabbing from non team players
Thoroughly enjoyed this job.
Assistant technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 24, 2018
I enjoyed this job tremendously until a motor vehicle accident caused me serious injury and I was unable to continue working. I was an assistant to a crane mechanic. We traveled to different work sites to repair cranes. Everything about this job made it great.
Pros
Easy job, relaxed work environment, great coworkers.
Cons
Unable to continue working due to injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident.
Fun Job
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 24, 2017
This company was a wonderful company to work for. They offered uniforms and paid time off. Sick time was also paid. I enjoyed the traveling that this company had offered. They also had great benefits.
Employee (Current Employee) –  RichmondAugust 15, 2017
The safest crane service company in the industry. This company offers training to all levels of employees and will pay for all expenses to send employees to be trained in the corporate headquarters. They offer many electrical and mechanical classes to increase the skill sets of technicians.

There are plenty of opportunities for overtime hours here. Technicians work in new places every day and manage their daily jobs.

Great pay and full benefits package offered. Company has been in business for 40+ years and is still growing which provides a great sense of security. Many opportunities for promotion from within.
Pros
Pay, new tasks daily, safety, training
Cons
Stressful job sometimes.

Want to know more about Hoist & Crane Service Group?

Ask a question
Bad company
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2017
Was black balled by other techs before I had a chance to prove myself.was treated like a black sheep cause I passed their assessment to get a company truck when another associate couldn't pass the assessment. So everyone was disingenuous to me and shoved me to the side with out giving me a chance to Excel.
Pros
Cons
Highschool click type of workplace
Official response from Hoist & Crane Service Group
August 15, 2017

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience working with us. We strive to create the best possible work environment where our employees can grow and achieve success. A negative experience is not our intention. All comments are reviewed and we appreciate your feedback. We wish you the best in the future.

Constantly being sent out of town to work
Technician V (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 13, 2017
When I was first hired, I was told that I would work in town most of the time. However, I was constantly being sent out of town for weeks at a time. I really got tired of having to live in motels and eat very little to stay within the allotted perdiam.It was a very hot and demanding job. Sometimes the temperatures would reach 130 degrees.
Do not recommend
Millwright/Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2017
No advancement opportunities, poor personnel in management positions, gain customers then lose another one, cannot keep personnel busy, hardest part of job was trying to get 40 hours a week as a technician, unless you were in with the management click.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Disorganized
Take Work Truck Home
SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2017
get with your driver/partner, drive all over the city looking for the company your supposed to go to do repairs at, workplace had no cultural taste, just country western everywhere...the hardest part was getting that little check on fridays
Pros
independence while on a job
Cons
work not evenly distributed
Chemical plant based service work
Service Tech VII (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 31, 2017
HCSG specializes in power and chemical plant maintenance work, almost exclusively. The work is rarely ever that difficult. But due to the nature of the facilities we work in, it can be frustrating due to the restrictions we are forced to work under with all of the safety rules that seems to change on a whim. A typical 10 hour work day can include as much as 4 to 5 hours just to get permission to work. This leads to more than a few very boring days.

My co-workers, for the most part, are very friendly, personable and easy to work with. Lead techs are very good about helping each other work through difficulties and major jobs. The big downside is that the helpers that have been hired lately are extremely green, as in not knowing basic tools or their usage. This has led to some very frustrating days. As I said, what we do is seldom very complicated or difficult. But, our jobs are seldom ones that can be performed solo. Having an experienced apprentice as a teammate would be so much more beneficial to the techs and the company.

Training is provided to technicians on everything from crane basics to more specialized skills like elevator repair. I would like to see more training provided to apprentices however.
Pros
Excellent pay, multiple locations, company vehicle with fuel/maintenance cards
Cons
green helpers, work environment
steady hours good overtime.
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 4, 2017
overhead crane technican, responsible for repair and inspection of overhead cranes and jib cranes. Steady 40 hour work weeks with overtime as required.
Good pay
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHMay 25, 2016
long and hard
working with different companys.
good management.
good to work with.
traveling, long hours
enjoyed working with people
Pros
Good pay
Cons
long hours, on the road a lot
Great Place to work with
Crane Technician (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 10, 2016
Safety is stressed on a daily bases and the work environment is kept to a natural balance of serious hard work and occasional good time between co-workers.
Cons
you pay for uniform-much more then usual think
Productive place to work
Technician (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LaSeptember 5, 2015
Good company to work for.
Decent Pay Benefits.
Advancement in company is decent.
Veteran Technicians willing to teach.
Pros
Relaxed Atomosphere
Cons
Retirement isn't so pleasant.
Needs new management
Assistant Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 5, 2015
The Baton Rouge branch leaves a lot to be desired in the management department. Upon interviewing I was told after 90 days I would receive a $1.00 per hour raise. When the time did come I was told that if it is not in writing, then I could not force them to honor that. This is a very underhanded tactic that I witnessed the manager say to multiple new hires. Once hired the job security is definitely there though. One would have to mess up pretty bad in order to get fired. Advancements in the monetary sense are extremely hard to acquire, however, once proven competent or the senior techs give their approval (make sure you become friends) advancement can be acquired in the form of a company truck. Most of the techs were helpful and knowledgeable but there were a couple that give the company a bad name.
Pros
company truck, paid vacation, 401, direct deposit, health insurance, advancement opportunities
Cons
low pay scale, management is underhanded, work comes before life mentality

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hoist & Crane Service Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about