Holder Construction

United States75 reviews

constructionprojectculturelongcompanyteamexperiencelearned

Great people, family company

Featured review

Holder Construction selected this as a representative review
I love Holder Construction, great family atmosphere with a good culture in place. Long hours and early mornings but the compensation is fair for the hours.

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Long hours, weekend work

Great, well-rounded Company

Being at Holder for a short period of time, I have to say that I enjoy every minute of it. Do I have much experience? Maybe not. But I will say that ever since I started there has been an abundance of kindness. Associates are very hard-working and good at making you feel comfortable doing things out of your comfort zone. The internal communication within the company is very prioritized and schedule- based. Beautiful office with plenty of working areas.

Pros

With work-life balance, associates are very understanding with requesting time off and force communication on that, Down-to-earth people who are ready to help you and do their part, Pay is good, Relationships are prioritized and opportunities are there at your reach

Cons

Hours can get lengthy but this comes with a lot of construction industry jobs though, Movement to different jobsites- can be a positive for some

August 17, 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive experience! Holder is proud of the culture we have formed over the years and we are so happy to hear you’ve experienced this camaraderie.

Holder Construction insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Overall satisfaction

Lean Project Management and False Turnover Reports

Horrible place to work! The entire environment was toxic. Kids in management roles, VPs golfing and hunting, communication is almost nonexistent. Everyday was an exercise in self control.

August 17, 2022
We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Holder does hire many young associates out of college strategically to set them up for a long career with organic growth into management within the company.

All hard work

All hard work, my manager requires my team to report even on weekends. Politics and favoritism is rampant within the organization. You are just a name in this company.

August 17, 2022
Company leadership takes ownership for exemplifying our culture of caring and connecting with our associates, we are sorry to hear this was not your experience. We strive to foster a family-like atmosphere and create a life-long home for our associates.

A great place to be, if you’re a white male.

A great company overall, but needs help with diversification. It felt very click-ish and in my experience it was a toxic place. The company overall is nice

Pros

Free food, good pay

Cons

Elitism, racism, lack of propert communication skills

August 17, 2022
Company leadership is dedicated to tackling the lack of diversity within the industry and at Holder. Holder also has a dedicated Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Department who spends their days improving our associate experience and enhancing the communities we work in.

Jus a vibe

Probably a great environment for most who are looking for an earnest job of the highest caliber. Subsequently one of the best places I have ever endeared within my entire being, you’re gonna love this job.

Well rounded company

I worked with this company through a 3rd party company. The pay was good, management provided support and training from the beginning, allowed room to do your job without micromanaging.

Pros

pay, support, life and work balance

Cons

nothing

August 17, 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us!

Great training resources

This job made it fairly easy to get trained with their software's and process of billing , etc.They have a company portal where you can search anything related to your field of work. They have step by step videos, pictures, description in how to get mostly everything done. The process and it makes it easier since you can always use that in case you have forgotten or don't know how to use or do a certain billing , etc. If questions are not answered corporate will help out and is quick to respond in a friendly manner.

Pros

Free lunches, flights, retreats, lunch allowance, outings with the company, fun activities, gym, bonus

Cons

Need a degree if you want to be in management, etc.

August 17, 2022
Thank you for sharing the positive experience you had at Holder!

Fast Paced and Dynamic

Great place to be for development. The do what it takes mentality can be overwhelming, so you must have grit to get through the days. Hours are fairly long starting early in the morning. If you love construction, this is the place to be.

Pros

Support System

Cons

Work life balance

August 17, 2022
Our culture of “develop each other” puts an emphasis on associate growth, and we are glad to hear you feel challenged in your role. We acknowledge the construction industry is known for long hours and heavy workloads, so we encourage associates to ask for help from their team and manager when needed.

the best company I have ever worked for. I wish I didn't leave but they don't pay the besthowever you actually feel like your on a team.extremely long hours somedays you could work 16-18 hours but the quality of people there make it easier to deal with

Pros

great people

August 17, 2022
Thank you for sharing your positive experience! The dedication of our hardworking associates is what makes our clients continue to ask us to build their next project.

Pretty standard for a national level contractor

Diverse customer/project base that allows engineers to learn different trades and work in different environments.Unfortunately since they pitch a "develop eachother" mentality, your progression is limited by your project team.Terrible work-life balance - pretty standard for the industry.

Pros

Well Paid

Cons

Terrible Work-Life Balance, No Official Training Programs, Constantly Moving with no Notice

August 17, 2022
The construction industry does have reputation for being demanding with long work hours. We give our associates great responsibility, translating into opportunity for every associate to grow in their career quickly. We are sorry this was not your experience during your time at Holder.

Decent Starter Job

Once you get to know people it is a fun environment and we went out and did things as a team. Only downside to the people is they tended to get big-headed and arrogant, probably due to being put in a place of power at such a young age. It was difficult to be around at times. I experienced a lot of unnecessary drama in the workplace. Even managers were sort of immature and played favorites. Very long hours during peak construction. Good luck having a life or friends outside of work. Lots and lots of paperwork. Holder expects you to be a sort of jack of all trades instead of letting you focus on what you’re interested in and are good at. I will say I learned a lot about construction and saw a lot of growth in myself. Cool to be part of a team and take part in big name projects building massive-scale data centers. But not sustainable for very long. If you are on the operations side, you will be moving around the country a lot. Be prepared to get a call any time saying you’re moving across the country the following week.

Pros

Learned a lot, team outings, exposure to big projects, decent pay and benefits

Cons

No work-life balance, never know when you will have to move, workplace drama, difficult personalities, not getting to grow in areas of personal abilities/interest

August 17, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Holder is the leading data center contractor in the country, and we are proud of the opportunities given to our company and our associates through these projects. This translates to relocating and traveling across the country to meet our clients’ project needs. Holder considers all associate’s wishes, including family and personal obligations, before asking to relocate and giving associates the ability to decline a request for relocation.

Amazing Company. Management are very supportive and knowledgeable. Wonderful work environment

The best company I have worked for. My managers and coworkers are very supportive and you can always have training and terrific personal development No wonder why they are the best.

Pros

Pto, Annual Bonus, Opportunity for development

Cons

As a Construction Company, sometimes the jobs are spread out all over the country.

March 5, 2021
Thank you for leaving a review! The growth and development of our associates in their careers is extremely important to us. Our culture is built on the idea that we “develop each other” so we can first look to fill open positions from within the company, instead of hiring externally. This can translate to associates traveling across the country to meet our clients’ project needs and promise a similar experience wherever we build.

The company was Great but the employees were not so great.

I appricaite the experinace it was wonderful but one problem, In the project I was working in managment was not so great although the project manager and superintendent etc all look and acted tough at the end of the day they only care about themselves and for them to look good insted of providing for other employees.- Expect Long Hours - Sometimes Low pay

Pros

Experience

Cons

Long Hours

March 5, 2021
Thank you for leaving a review and sharing your honest feedback. Holder is very proud of the culture we have cultivated at Holder since 1960. Maintaining our family-like culture directly impacts our associate’s experience and well-being. We expect company leadership and management to promote the Holder culture by example, to provide consistency across all offices and jobsites. Consistency in culture across all jobsites and offices is a consistent challenge, and we appreciate all feedback related to culture, so we can continue striving toward consistency company-wide.

Everyone works with each other to meet a common goal

A typical day at work starts with a Foreman's meeting to see the progress with the contractors and also to see if any special requirements are needed. Management was great, everyone worked together. The hardest part of the job was having to leave the company because i could not move to another project in another state. The most enjoyable time for me when everyone bonded.

Pros

Monthly lunches

Cons

None that i could see

March 5, 2021
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Holder! We appreciate your contributions to the company and wish you luck in your new career.

Challenging, fast paced

Challenging place to work. Have learned a lot. Always a full work load but goal completion is met with appreciation and encouragement. Hard work is expected but rewarded.

Pros

Goal oriented. Good pay.

Cons

6-7 days a week required

March 5, 2021
Thank you for leaving a review! The construction industry has a reputation for being demanding, with long working hours. Holder is made up of hardworking, dedicated associates with a “do what it takes” attitude to make our projects successful. We value and support the work-life balance and offer ample Paid Time Off necessary to keep our associates happy and healthy, and performing their best. With hard work comes opportunity, and we want all associates to feel acknowledged and rewarded for their efforts and successes.

Awesome company to work for if you enjoy challenges.

Holder Construction Company is awesome. They will give you a full workload, but you always have the tools and surrounding help to make sure you succeed.

Pros

Challenging, Benefits

March 5, 2021
Thank you for sharing! We are glad to hear you were given the opportunity and challenges that benefited your career.

Felt i served a purpose. But immediate supervisor felt threatened by good workers

Worked there almost 2 yrs, good group of people just the few bad apples were REALLY bad and took credit for everyone else's accomplishments. In the same aspect very disrespectful to coworkers especially Temps and laborers

Pros

Good pay, fast paced

Cons

No advancement or raises and unqualified supervisors

March 5, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Care & Connect is a cornerstone of our culture, and with that comes treating everyone, no matter their title or role on a project, with respect. When given feedback related to disrespectful behavior, we address it and respond accordingly.

Very active place of the construction industry of doing the everything of different activities of construction job site.

A typical would be is we come to work at 6:00am in the morning and work to 2:30pm in the afternoon. I have learned to understand how the construction industry works of doing different activities during the day on the job site. To understand how the OSHA standards of being a general contractor on the job site and to bring to school for my major and show to my classes. I get to work with people that are from different countries and work with women as well despite your race, religion, where you come from, your gender, or what your strengths and weaknesses are. It always about getting the job done and working together as a team. The hardest part of the job was to care materials with forklift where things belong up on the roof of the data center. The most enjoyable part about of the job was building a deck for my manager to go in and out of his office.

Pros

Food truck every morning at 9:00am

Cons

being very tired after a work day

March 5, 2021
Thank you for sharing your positive experience! We strive to maintain an inclusive culture where people from all backgrounds feel welcomed and their strengths are leveraged toward a common goal, and we are glad to hear you experienced that first-hand.

The best company ever

● OverallIf they would have me back i would go in a second. Weekly pay. Always room for improvement. Constant safety meetings and no room for playing games. The best.

March 5, 2021
Thank you for leaving a review. We are glad to hear you felt safe on our jobsites and had a positive experience at Holder.

Really great place to work, very nice people.

I had a great experience in this company, all Project Managers, Engineers and superintendents were great to work with.The company culture is awesome.I will work there again.

Pros

Construction environment - Relax environment

Cons

continuity of employment

Common questions about Holder Construction

Answered by current and former employees at Holder Construction

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holder Construction. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Holder Construction with

• Holder Construction
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?