Holiday Inn Employee Reviews

Found 10,918 reviews matching the search See all 14,451 reviews
Moderately Reasonable Experience
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 29, 2018
When I first started this job, I had no idea what to expect. It was very easy to learn everything that needed to be done, and they are very flexible with a school schedule. It was my first job, so I was not sure what was right and what was wrong. However, as time went on, they would bring in new people at a higher rate than me even after working there for a year. It took over a year for me to get a very small raise and make the same as new employees. Things currently are much different due to new management and consistently getting worse due to lack of communication and consistency in management.
Pros
Flexible with schedules, easy to learn, free pizza
Cons
Lack of raises and benefits based on performance even after years of exceptional service
Manager is unprofessional
Housekeeper, Assistant Head Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Cadillac, MISeptember 24, 2018
Expect the manager to talk about you behind your back to other employees and several employees have been fired even though they showed up on time every day, got along with all of the employees, and tried their best (and did a good job) the manager didn't like them so they were out. There's no benefits except vacation pay. You get paid per room not per hour and that can be tricky if you have no check outs. Plus you have to add into your time to take out the trash, restock the cart, fill your bottles, and sort laundry so you're not really getting 30 minutes per room it's more like 20. It can be done but there's almost always a struggle. When I worked there my coworkers were great but almost all of them have quit. Best part of the job is consistent work start times, during the week 9:30 and weekends 10:30. time and a half for working holidays.
Pros
Work hard, get out early
Cons
Can't trust management
No benefits were to the employees
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 28, 2018
What I learned the most is it is always guest is right and always to please them as you wanted to be treated when you being a guest and always respect the management and follow their instructions and company's guidelines. And also maintain a cordial relationship with co-workers and maintain the workplace cordial culture.
The most enjoyable part of the job is everyday you interact with different people from all parts of world and able to learn so much from their culture and enjoy the life.
The hardest part of the job is bidding goodbye to the people you come into contact.
Pros
It is always maintain the comraderie with co-workers
Cons
At old job no benefits at all
guest make the job worth going to
Room Inspector/ house keeping supervisor/ laundry (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDDecember 19, 2018
productive and fast pase...always on the go, always somthing to do constantly busy at times...management was poor sometime was talked down upon.. but was a nice place to worked loved the guest they were so kind..... the management were somtime rude and inconsiderate the building was kept clean... most enjoyable part of the job was meeting guest from all over the world and hearing there stories what i learned was to be humble and they we are here to please the guest so that they have the best experience while here
Pros
they would give us a discount on a room if need be
Cons
no benifits short staff we were allowed to have breakfest there was no employee break room
Productive work environment
Front Desk Lead (Current Employee) –  West Covina, CANovember 3, 2018
Working at the Holiday Inn helped me become more knowledgeable in the hospitality work field. I learned something new everyday and overcame obstacles everyday.The front desk is the heart of the hotel, so it is very important to have well communication skills to make guest happy with their stay. The most difficult part of the job is resolving issues for guest who approach you very upset or resolving any issue that occurs throughout your shift without the help from management. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the team work and effort everyone puts in the hotel to make it an enjoyable environment.
Pros
Free Lunch and discounts within the hotel branch
Cons
no benefits
Productive and mature work place
Housekeeper and Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IASeptember 25, 2018
When I am at work on a typical day, it would be pretty busy and overwhelming at times.
I learned how to communticate and keep the guests calm and satisfied with their stay, and also fix any problems or needs that they were requesting.
Management, to me was not so much professional to me but I still was able to work through it even though that was the hardest part of my job.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was handling the guests and moving around cleaning or doing job duties.
Pros
Discounts on rooms, food or drinks, and annual pay raises.
Cons
No breaks, no eating at front desk, and no paid vacation or days off.
Great part-time job
Breakfast Attendant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 23, 2018
Holiday Inn Express is a wonderful company to work for, whether part-time or full-time for extra income. Had I known how great working in the hotel business was, I would have started earlier. The staff are always friendly and mostly happy which is so nice for morale. All staff members are willing to help out if need be and taking time off is no problem if not abused. I would recommend working at Holiday Inn to anyone. The reason I could not stay was because the entry salary is not enough, however, there is a chance for advancement within the hotel industry. The work hours sometimes vary for upper-level management but that is to be expected. I was genuinely happy working there.
Pros
Friendly staff, work hours vary, possibility for advancement.
Cons
Entry-level work is demanding; standing on your feet for your entire shift.
Overall nice work environment
Lead Chef (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSJanuary 8, 2019
My review the Holiday inn was that of a good job but top management very unforgiving with raises when they were due and didn't do things in a timely manner like the company structure to provide felt like I took advantage of me as an employee that went above and beyond did duties that was expected of me that should have consisted of more pay but after 5 months have the same pay and no progress of getting a raise became kind of disgruntled and things didn't pan out
Pros
Slow laid-back pace
Cons
Extremely hard to get raises
Circus Circus
Assistant Guest Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 29, 2018
Nine months was eight months too long. Took position as Assistant Guest Services Manager at 500 room, two tower property in Burbank, CA. Compensation was surprisingly competitive and there was a reason why, it wasn't worth it. After working at 2 hotels previously, each for 6 years, the culture shock couldn't have been greater. A place where you're questioned by the owner about why breakfast or parking was comped, despite legitimate reasons provided. A place where the owner thinks it's not too big a deal for a guest to get stuck in a hot elevator for 20 minutes, multiple times in one day.
When it comes to hotels in Los Angeles, this is a "special" place. Stay away.
restaruant
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  St. Augustine, FLDecember 20, 2018
I worked at the New Hotel in St Augustine in World Golf Village. Ive never experienced such a UNORGONIZSED hotel in my life. The restaurant/FB management was absolutely awful. He would pass the buck off to every one else when it was his mistake on something he would say BRAND STANDARD trying to put the blame on the IHG corporation. The hotel GM was great he definitely has a lot on his plate with not enough help. Do your self a favor go work of the Hilton way better benefits & they know how to treat there employees
Pros
still traying to figure out one
Cons
terrible kitchen resturaunt management
Pay was poor, no chance of advancement . Position requirements was frequently changed by upper managers!
Guest service manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Mills, PAOctober 5, 2018
I checked in/out guests,depending on the shift. I Answered phones for reservations and customer needs. I had mild housekeeping duties as needed. Shuttles where provided by sales team, and at times I was required to drive shuttle.Set up for sales events and conferences was a fun thing to be involved in and when customers where happy,so was I.
Pros
Overtime was nice when it was available.Customers where usually fun to deal with
Cons
No advancement unless I finished bachelors degree, no benefits, customer complaints where usually outlandish to deal with at times.
Fast-paced and teachable working experience
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Southport, NCSeptember 12, 2018
A typical day at work would start off with counting bank, folding laundry, resetting and setting key cards, making greeting card, answering phones, making reservations, as well as providing up-beat customer service at all times.
I learned how to answer five line phones, how to work the OPERA systems for online management of booking rooms, how to effectively manage time.
The management changed a lot while I was there. Each manager was mostly helpful as well as supportive.
We all worked as a team.
The hardest part of the job had to be answering questions and giving directions of the surrounding cities.
The most enjoyable part of the job was was meeting all the different types of personalities arriving at the hotel.
Pros
Able to make your own schedule, teamwork, and ability to freely ask for help.
Cons
Management was off and on, no benefits
Run down property in dire need of TLC
Front Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NC 28306November 19, 2018
Most of the staff are beyond excellent. I would go out of my way to help most of them. Upper management on the other hand doesn't really care about lower management or employee's. Pay rates are well below work requirements and cost of living. Constant apologizing for condition of property. Turn over is horrible due to low pay, long hrs and general disregard for work/home life balance.
Pros
Employee discount at all IHG properties around the world.
Cons
Long hrs, no benefits (none at all), upper management has no regard for work/home life balance.
Great and exellenrt
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Key Largo, FLSeptember 28, 2018
Holiday Inn the place where I work is a great environment and safe to work. I'm looking for another job to boost my salary. My manager is respecting me and treat me with respect. Great communication make very happy to stay for a long time. We have a diversity group working there different culture. We are all in the same boat working for Holiday Inn and promote the growth of the company.
Everyone hope to have greatest pay check, I'm not consider it is the hardest part of the job, but confronting the drinker refused to obey to the security command I really consider that as the hard part of the job. In the meantime, I used my skills and better approach to make them the hotel rules.
Christmas and July 4th, I enjoy to be there at work. We have great celebration. Each employee receives present and some money. The hotel is also gives a week as employees to thank them for their hard work. Free food and drink.
Overall, Holiday Inn is a great place for people to work.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
N/a
Fantastic place to learn the ins and outs of the hospitality industry with a huge brand in a small town.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Globe, AZOctober 12, 2018
Holiday Inn Express & Suites is in a small, but thriving town of Globe, Arizona, in the mountains between Tucson and Phoenix, making this the perfect learning ground for a newbie in the hotel industry. I was able to learn many facets of the hospitality industry during my time at HIE Globe.

One of the most challenging aspects of my job was working with the diverse staff who lacked motivation and dependability. The most rewarding aspect of my job was motivating staff members to be the best they can be, to get staff excited about the industry, and to push themselves to learn and grow, and to be proud of themselves and their hotel.
Pros
Comped Rooms; Employee Discount Rates
Cons
No benefits
Basic
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEOctober 17, 2018
Loved that you got to meet new people and were able to help with banquets as well as other services. Everyone was on a team and you felt comfortable with all the management. It was a great place to start customer service training but you had none to a slim chance at advancement in your position and they had a huge turn over rate. As for getting sick, they would give you a day but that was it. it was always frustrating that since you work with the public they would not take getting sick seriously.
Benefits
Good times & then the Bad!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJuly 17, 2018
I worked for this company before it was Holiday Inn Club Vacations, formally known, as Silverleaf Resorts!
Loved the company then, hate the company Now!

The company “claims” to be based around Family!! (What a complete Crock!!!) Some weeks we spent so many hours working that we literally became “like” family, seeing each other as coworkers more than our own families most of the time! The micromanagement in my opinion is the Worst part.

Loyalty means absolutely Nothing to this company. I watched several sales professionals that were with Silverleaf prior, get FIRED because of “poor performance” or not meeting the companies VPG - Volume Per Guest!

On a scale of 1-10 I would give job security with this company a 1.5 or 2!

Cheers!
Pros
401K - decent pay - benefits
Cons
Everything Else!!!
It wasnt all that
Laundry Aide (Former Employee) –  Bordentown, NJAugust 22, 2018
I didnt like working there because they where real ungrateful i was 7 months pregnant i was laundry lady in charge and since they didnt have alot of housekeepers they would put me to do that i did it from kindness of my heart but then i notice they wasnt appreciating it i said to general manager can get raise the denied so i stop doing housekeeping and just did my job another thing they like talking behind your back another thing didnt like they cook food for the people that stayed there what ever they didnt eat they refrigerate it warm it up next day and give it back to peoples alot stuff was going on i just lefted
Cons
Casual, yet cynical work environment.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, TNSeptember 10, 2018
The job is, at times, dynamic and fun; however, most days it drags and leaves nothing to do. Fantastic job to have while in university. Had the opportunity to study and write papers in my abundant free time. Met interesting people, and enjoyed speaking with guests and establishing relationships with long-term regulars. Employment saw lots of turnover and constant inadequacy. However, a few long term employees (mostly management) kept the place afloat.
Pros
Discounted hotel rooms at any IHG location nationwide.
Cons
No breaks, lunch, or benefits.
Holiday Inn
Front Desk- Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 21, 2018
Very much work for very little pay. No raises, promotions, or appreciation of any kind. The staff was fun and great to work with , however the pay was low and if you did more then one job you did not get a raise. You would be told that a promotion has been put in for you ,but nothing would ever come about. Quick to take advantage of the good employees but the bad employees got raises and everything good employees should got.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holiday Inn. Our community is ready to answer.

55.1K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Holiday Inn.

Powered by Comparably