Holiday Retirement Employee Reviews

An okay work place
Server (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 18, 2018
The atmosphere is very pleasant, the residents are the most sweet kind hearted souls to ever walk this earth. I love them dearly. When I first started working there I loved the employees and they were so nice and they are still very nice, however, since we had lost some servers, we were short on staff. Couple weeks later, it goes downhill. They basically were hiring anyone who came it with a application, I’m pretty sure there were no turn downs. As for the residents, I love them all, management and a few employees needs to go. I feel as if they are putting my particular facility in danger. But overall, I would not recommend anyone I know to work there because of the corruption of some employees and the pay is not good. This is also not a long term job in my opinion if the staff is the same as it is right now.
Pros
Serving the residents, having a nice talk with the residents
Cons
Hiring just about anyone who sends in a application
Too much work, too little time
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 16, 2018
Wants you to work too hard and not pay you for overtime. This place really sucks. The work load is absolutely unreal, and you have very little support to make necessary changes to be more productive.
Pros
Benefits for full time employees
Cons
Everything else
Was a great place to work
Regional Maintenance (Former Employee) –  worked from home But Corp Office is in Florida nowSeptember 11, 2018
They restructured the maintenance department. They were doing away with the Regional Maintenance Personnel and they was more less forced to leave. Not a good thing. They made working there not good in my case. I do have to say they were always caring for the residents of the facalities. They were always their first concerns. Safety and well being of all residents is TOP PRIORITY..
General Manager/Director of resident community
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 11, 2018
Great opportunity as Director to manage and develop a community of active senior residents living independently and looking for support, activities, a positive environment and the potential to develop lasting friendships. Management included, sales, community outreach, hospitality and housekeeping, meals and menus, maintenance oversight, budget and sales goals.
Learned to balance the off sight corporate management mission, the in house staff and the resident population; each with different needs, goals and personalities. All with the main mission of caring for residents safety, enjoyment and satisfaction.
Pros
Meals
Cons
24 hr. responsibility 5 days a week
Nice place to gain experience, poor support from regional and corporate office
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTSeptember 9, 2018
Nice place to gain experience, poor support from regional and corporate office. Don't care about the employee or their residents. It is all about the money.
Pros
Good place to gain experience
Cons
Terrible regional and corporate support.
Challenging Culture
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORSeptember 8, 2018
I am grateful for the experience gained with Holiday Retirement. I acquired the ability to promote a positive environment and lead a large group while undergoing massive change.
Do your homework before committing to any offer.
Community Co-Manager - (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORSeptember 7, 2018
Community Manager....
Best part of job was working and living with the residents. Employees in constant turn-over Company management only focused on bottom line, and does not concern itself with the work life concerns of any employee. Managers spend many hours a day on phone attempting to recruit new residents. When being recruited, for a manager position, beware of misleading perks for managers. Don't be to excited by the "Free/furnished/required " one bedroom .onsite apartment and furnished meals. Talk to other managers before you commit. Much nightly on-call/ call out time for emergencies not adequately compensated.
Pros
Working and living with the residents very rewarding.
Cons
On duty time is a 24 hour availability.
Nice resdients and some cool co workers.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Wake CountySeptember 4, 2018
The head chef there has a attitude problem and feels like he can talk to the staff any way he feels fit and managment didn't do anything about it. All the while you get to follow and find out new types of food that is made there.
Pros
Lovely residents there.
Cons
Short breaks and too much favoritism there.
Happy and Supported in the GM Role
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 31, 2018
I’ve been with the company as a GM for 9 months and overall it has been a positive experience. The days are busy with a lot of demands, which can lead to long hours. But, with the right team in place and good time management you can run a successful community. I’ve gotten great support from the regional team members. Having worked for other senior living providers in the past, there is a level of professional respect in my region that other companies have fallen short on. Even the District VP is approachable and open minded. As long as this positive dynamic remains, I hope to build a long term career here.
No support from Regional Director on up and all about money vs elderly care
General Manager for Holiday Retirement (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COAugust 28, 2018
The Regional Director talked to you as if you were a dog and provided no support just criticism. End less meetings through out the day with only concerns about selling and meeting quotas. General Management runs each facility and it is an act of God to get a day off , vacation or even attend a funeral. The responsibility that is placed on the GM is surreal and constant criticism by staff and upper management makes it the most stressful work life possible. It was the worst job I ever had in my career with the worst management you could ever have. The Regional Director was the equivalent of the devil with red heels!
Pros
concept of the retirement home
Cons
pay, benefits and upper management, you worked 24 hrs non stop
Recruited to Brookdale
Community Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 23, 2018
Its been a couple of years since i worked there and the entire management has changed. I really do not think it would be fair for me to write a review,
Pros
you could have lunch on holiday
Cons
Buildings were older than competition
Great Place for High School
Head Server (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 23, 2018
This is a job more geared towards getting high school kids some part time hours and job experience.
Its a way to liven up things in the retirement home while giving the minors a chance to earn some future tuition funds.
Pros
Friendly staff, nice residents, easy work
Cons
Management, pay
Okay place to work if you can get past a low salary and if you fit in
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, RIAugust 23, 2018
People are very clicky, came in from agency the work ethic is working as a team is awesome. But they tend to pick on each other but not in a good way. Have seen some very mean things go on. Their employees don't get paid very much. Very low quality standards for their employees very high turnover.
Pros
People are helpful the residents are very happy the nurses and CNAs to great jobs
Cons
The staff are miserable and underpaid for their job
Steady employment along with interacting with senior residents.
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 21, 2018
Specifically working with senior residents in a community atmosphere. Team oriented workplace. The downside is having to deal with residents with early stages of dementia and memory loss along with dealing with resident deaths.
Pros
Interacting with senior residents, steady work, eligible for advancement.
Cons
Meals are mainly any leftovers, monetary rewards are always taxed, lack of communication.
Is run to lean. you do the work of two people for little pay.
Waitress/Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Portland MaineAugust 18, 2018
You waitress and bus tables 5 hours out of your 8.Then you clean eight rooms ,laundry and a meeting with the other three hours. you are being ragged on by residents or kitchen people. Very negative place to work
Pros
They feed you.
Cons
Should have wait staff and housekeeping staff not housekeepers doing kitchen work too.
constantly busy, high expectations
housekeeper and server (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CAAugust 17, 2018
Great place to work as a First time job. Gives you good experience for time management and self working skills. the time lines are very quick, so you have to be a fast worker and even a witty thinker/problem solver. it does have highly stressful situations, but you can always ask your team for help.
Pros
they fed all staff, and even let you eat after each meal
Cons
crunched time lines, lots of cleaning and dealing with high temperatures, building maintenance issues, Camelot drama
Long Hours, High Stress and Very Little Regional Support
General Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 16, 2018
Regional management isn't interested in daily/weekly grind. They are there to "whip" you to get the best results. There is no training with new roll-out's, ever. Love the residents and staffing, just have no support when things go wrong, even with ample warning.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No breaks, Can't fit in vacations, no coverage
Totally unfair and biased management.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTAugust 16, 2018
Ever since day one, management was never about facilitating the job expectations. The managing supervisor was always in the dark when it came to ordering food and other products and as a result, I could not complete the job correctly.
Pros
Used my creativity on several occasions to make up for food shortages.
Cons
That got old quickly.
Cook Position
Evening Chef (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 13, 2018
This was a Sous Chef position the was mainly mid-day shift and encompassed 8 Servers would served food to approximately 80 guest and was all independent living.
Negative atmosphere
SALES LEADER (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 13, 2018
Management is very verbally abusive. They speak in rhetoric when disciplining you with no real concrete direction or training to help you. There was nothing enjoyable about this job. It helped me get my foot in the door to get into a new business but I counted down the days till I could leave for another job. I have never hated a company more than this one.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Work culture being extremely negative

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holiday Retirement. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

2.0Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight