Holiday Retirement Employee Reviews

Overworked
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 21, 2019
This is by far the most stressful place I have ever worked for. I have worked for many retirement homes. This company makes every position work for 2 to 3 jobs alone. The Sous Chef job here is just an a.m cook that must do everything alone, with no help and with the most work. Washing all your own dishes, prepping all of your items and making most of the entrees, even though you also have a breakfast service to do, as well as you will need to make bread from scratch, make your dessert from scratch and make sure to complete your deep cleaning schedule. The PM cook job here only has 1 entree to do, a soup and dessert is usually ice cream for dinner. It is very unfair. You have to come in early to get things done and not take a break ever. Every minute of your day is planned. There is not even a moment you can take a second. This job left me exhausted every day because I began to work 9.5 hours a day with absolutely no break and being yelled at that we could not work a minute over the clock. I worked an hour and a half free every day. Which is illegal.
Overall this job will leave you beyond stressed. I had to chose to resign from this job for my own mental health. On top of being extremely stressed, management micro-manages you every step of the way.
I write this as an honest warning because I would have liked to be warned before taking this position. Not all retirement companies are this way and there is better opportunity.
Pros
Pay isn't bad and health benefits.
Cons
No breaks, not enough time to get the job done.
Not a good place to work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 21, 2019
Residents are great but management is horrible, lie to make themselves look better, and treat employees horrible. Staff is like being in highschool again. Clicks and popularity.
Garbage Company
Executive Director / Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZJanuary 19, 2019
This is the worse company to work for on the planet earth. You are treated like a second class citizen. This company only cares about one thing....the almighty dollar.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Fast paced environment
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 17, 2019
Management at Holiday is a fast-paced environment focused on serving residents and families. The staff is committed to their work and strive to work with excellence.
Pros
Resident care
Cons
Sales focus
Over worked, underpaid, favoritism, drama.
Server (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2019
Over worked, under paid, was hired for one job but had to do other jobs as well that paid more but didnt recieve more pay for doing them, lots of drama, and favoritism. Had to do job of 2 for pay of 1. If your a hard worker and dont complain they will take advantage of u. While lazy kiss booty get away w everything, even get what ever day off they want and leave work while on the clock.
Things change on a dime
sales (Current Employee) –  californiaJanuary 1, 2019
Focus of management changes almost weekly and made me feel like they are grasping at straws as the senior living industry as a whole is
down.
Management turns frequently as if looking for a scape goat. Community team works hard but also has high turnover.
Extreme micromangement by bosses who have never done the job and are not from the industry.
Pros
fair pay, decent benefits
Cons
little respect for sales management channel
Nice job for a high schooler, or nice part time job to make a little extra cash
Server (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLDecember 28, 2018
Nice job for a high schooler, or nice part-time job to make a little extra cash. Hours are very scarce as meal times are only 2 and a half hours long, and "Servers" only worked Dinner Monday-Friday and breakfast, lunch and dinner on the weekends and holidays,
Pros
free food every shift
Cons
little hours
Job if you really must have one
Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WADecember 24, 2018
Holiday retirement is a company that is always in a state of purchase and leadership turn over. there is very little continuity or structure since the company went public.
review
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS PROJECT MANAGER (CIPM) (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLDecember 22, 2018
wasn't great. unorganized and contradictory. Staff is friendly but green. no one wants to take the lead. everything is done at a glance instead of dialing in.
Stay away!
Kitchen helper (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVDecember 16, 2018
This place is a total mess. I only lasted there for a couple weeks. Was forced to take a loss of hours and was still expected to do all the work on my own. From day one I was tossed into the work and told to “figure it out” and then just left there. It’s was a disaster every single night and not once did I ever get anyone to check my work. There was no directions from any of the management. The only answer everyone had was to just “figure it out”. More like “figure it out blindly and get lucky”. Don’t waste any time ok this dump!
Pros
Every one smoked weed
Cons
To much work with zero time to do it. No breaks allowed.
People and residents are wonderful, company not so much
Enrichment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 13, 2018
The company does not seem to care about its employees. The pay for what a person does and the responsibilities they have is too low.
The workers are some of the most kind hearted people! The residents are so terrific - they seem eventually blend in to becoming a part of your family.
Pros
great lunches and food stuffs to eat
Cons
pay and pay raises
n/a
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Vista, CADecember 6, 2018
The company as a whole offers time for family and recreation, but focus more on satisfying the investors more than the residents.
Most of their managers are not people oriented.
Not managed
Co-Manager of Windlands East (Former Employee) –  Madison, TNDecember 4, 2018
From my experience, corporate was solely concerned about money, which is an important aspect of any corporation, however, there was no balance in their employees well being, work load, time off (as this was a live in position).
Poor work life balance
Sales leader (Former Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 2, 2018
I really enjoyed helping seniors and their loved ones with their next steps. However, I was expected to work on days off and rarely enjoyed a social life. Company only cares about numbers - no matter what the physical/mental condition is of the resident which I felt was not right for the resident and their loved ones. Management was verbally abusive. Buildings have poor maintenance standards. Only good thing about this job was the Salary and benefits, but wasn’t worth it in the end.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor Work Life Balance / highly stressful
Busy place to work
LEAD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 27, 2018
We have fun with the residence. It was always busy there. Had great party for the residence and there family . The job it self was very busy trying to make should everything was done for the day.
The most Incongruous company I've ever worked for ...
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2018
To read and research Holiday Retirement online, you would think they are the best in the business, cheering you on for career advancement and they truly care about people. Not true. There is always a litany of being on the precipice of disaster and being fired. They use constant word manipulation, gimmicky sales tactics and NEVER talk about what is best from the RESIDENT perspective. If they give you a dollar in improvements and upgrades they want to know how you will turn it into $100. A lot of criticism from the top but it is never constructive. Lack of intellect at the top to challenge independent thought or promote hiring better talent.
It aint no holiday to work here.
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 24, 2018
No limits on how long/hard they will milk the employees and managers for. This includes lawsuit settlements for breaking HR rules. If you want to live where you work and work for around the clock-this could be right for you.
Pros
they hire older workers
Cons
unlimited hours
Low pay, Hard work
Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WANovember 17, 2018
I'm a kitchen helper, and let me say, I am paid almost the exact same as the servers who are there for 1.5-2 hours to work twice as hard for 4x the time that they are there. They pay new hires more, but the employees who have been there for years are negelected and underpaid by a lot. The hours suck, the work is hard, and our executive chef causes great levels of stress for all of the kitchen staff.
Pros
Free meals, thats it
Cons
No time for rest breaks, just lunch breaks
Absolutely horrendous
Kitchen Helper/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORNovember 15, 2018
Incompetent and lazy management. Coworkers who do not do their part. Management and HR will never do anything for you. Ingredients needed for job often missing and not ordered. Extreme lack of communication. Corporate does not care. Fair warning, horrible place to work and the pay does not match the work load.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Literally everything
that company was the worst place that I have ever worked at
Co manager (Former Employee) –  Lenox, MANovember 11, 2018
Holiday retirement doesn't care about the employees or the resident. All they care about is filling the apartments. The managers were verbally abusive and supervisors did nothing about it. The pay was terrible , but the staff was nice
Pros
the residents that lived there were great
Cons
All the supervisors do is yell and talk down to you all the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holiday Retirement. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight