Holiday Retirement Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
Hours were unreasonable
Lead Server (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJuly 18, 2018
While working for Holiday retirement the hours were not very great only allowing for a couple hours a week with a breaks in between longer than the actual work hours.
Pros
free food
Cons
Hours
Horrible micro management and constant change of RDO’s
General Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 16, 2018
Horrible company. They are all about money do not have any compassion. Over worked. U work 12 hr days no breaks. They want us to sell something that is not worth it and no money budgets
Pros
The residents
Extremley stressful workplace.
Server/Busser/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTJuly 15, 2018
What it's like:
As of recently, the servers bring drinks out first, and they go from table to table within 1 of 6 sections to take orders and serve them their food immediately after. When they are done, the servers bus their plates and have deserts brought out. As they leave, the servers strip their tables down to wipe them and reset them. This process normally extends beyond the two hour time frame because it is done by 6 people for 144 residents.

Overall:
The kitchens are unclean and too hot, and co-workers often slack off making things much slower. The complaints never end from the residents and managers, and there is too much remembering to do regarding the complexity of orders as well as any other excessive requests. Suggestions are never heard, and promises are never kept. I applied here out of desperation and disliked every second I was there. The work you do here is worth much more than what they pay you. This job is only relatively fun if you are good friends with your co-workers in advance. Management is poor and lazy and they will pull you aside for things that aren't of importance. They prefer to hire nice people, although the nice people that work here struggle to handle the stress and can be subject to panic attacks.
Pros
Free meal if you work for a full day, easy hiring
Cons
Short breaks, complaining residents & managers, lazy co-workers, uncomfortable uniforms.
3 Chef prepared Meals Daily
Office Manager and Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OKJuly 14, 2018
When we went with the company it was a great system. Live in managers, apartment was supplied for the managers/co-managers 24/7 e-call system and 3 Chef prepared meals daily.
Then it all changed in August of 2016.
Pros
Helping Others
Cons
Being told that you can no longer help.
Too much work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 8, 2018
The director of personnel was great she appreciate my hard work as did the chef. The residents love my cooking and I love cooking for them. When I started I was cooking for 18 residence. When I left there I was cooking for 48. Washing dishes doing pots and pans. When asked for more help I was told corporate said it wasn't in the budget.
Pros
Great Personnel director. I love the residence and cooking for them and they loved me
Cons
Stressful, too much work, can't reason with cooperate
Great Place to work if you enjoy the elderly
Holiday Retirement Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 8, 2018
Good benifits and a fun place to work. Loved the time spent with the residents of all four properties I worked at. Great movent within the company as we were able to move to Corpus Christi as a couple and retired there.
Poor work place, do not work here
Kitchen Helper/Cook (Current Employee) –  Evans, GAJuly 4, 2018
Management is trash, showed favoritism toward other employees. Also promise one thing to you but do not go through with it. Give new hires higher pay instead of the ones that been there for years a 2 cents raise. Make a lot of changes and do not say nothing. The management staff lazy as every but quick to call you out on things. Honestly the company is a very poor work place and do not care about others but the ones they show favoritism to. Dirty work environment, do not care about the residents. Do alot of work for very little pay.
Pros
Talking to residents learning different things
Cons
Lazy management, not going through with there words, snakes and liers
Not really enjoyable
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJuly 2, 2018
I took this job out of desperation and really regretted it. My boss was really demanding and I was not prepared to start working there. I worked less than a m9nth and hated every day I worked
A senior retirement community facility with a wonderful business model.
General Manager/Hospitality/Operations and Sales (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJune 28, 2018
Holiday Retirement was a family owned but large company that provided upscale living for independent living seniors. The managers were onsite and were able to become a part of the resident community immediately. It was one of the most self satisfying jobs I have ever had.
Pros
Managers provided free onsite housing meals and all other perks the residents enjoyed.
Cons
Occasional odd hours for emergencies, staff members not showing for work, lack of qualified co-managers at times.
It was a very fast-paced environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARJune 28, 2018
It is a very fast paced environment, but the work wasn’t difficult to comprehend. I would recommend this job for someone who is starting in the work force, such as I had done.
Pros
Free food, provided uniforms, friendly people
Cons
Hot environment, uncomfortable uniform
Do not care for employees
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORJune 27, 2018
Holiday is not a place to work if you wan t to advance. For the IT department they mostly hire interchangeable, easily replaced people from temp agencies. For the rest of the company they set difficult goals to achieve with little compensation. They are also prone to make employee affecting decisions and then giving very little time to adjust before implementation, as evidenced by their move to Florida.
Pros
Some friendly employees
Cons
Poor pay, little to no advancement
Strong family environment- Great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 26, 2018
As a General Manager, my work is never ending but enjoyable. Like any job, it comes with lots of stress, but with the right team, this becomes second nature.
Pros
Good Compensation, Support
Cons
High Stress job
Too bad new owner and changes hasn't made it better
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 26, 2018
Holiday Retirement is definately NOT the company it portrays itself to be when you start. It is NOT about helping Seniors live better it's about numbers. Regional Management is terrible and unrealistic.
Pros
Trying to help Seniors live better lives
Cons
Way too much stress and no work life balance.
dual buildings
General Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTJune 23, 2018
I worked in CT and Maine for the company and had a great Regional Sales person for the first year that really was an amazing mento, when she left I decided I wanted to leave and go into Assisted Living verses IL only.
Great training program upon hire
Cons
to many meetings when we needed the time to sell
Pretty Bad
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 18, 2018
The Garden Club community is dirty and unsafe for the elderly. The kitchen looks like a dump and the executive chef is constantly stressed out and rude to servers.
Senior Retirement Community Management
Flex Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 18, 2018
It is my understanding that this company has sold to another larger company.

The company was in desperate needs of restructuring. The staffing is inadequate to supply all the needed support for the residents.

The sales people are pushed relentlessly to hit quotas which results in them placing residents into the community who require more care and assistance than the community is designed to provide. It is designed for Independent Living for seniors who are capable of doing most things for themselves, but the sales people were excepting residents who required higher levels of care.
Pros
It was very rewarding working with the senior community
Cons
Not enough staff for needs
I work for holiday because i enjoy working with seniors
Community Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJune 18, 2018
Cook breakfast and lunch for 120 residents and staff. I learned that being on time for work is very important. Management are the leaders of the work force. The workplace culture are senior living community. The hardest part of the job is to be unprepared. The most enjoyable part is to see the smiles on the residents faces.
Pros
You have to love your work to get it done.
Cons
There are never enough time for breaks
Maintenance Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 15, 2018
Nice place. Administrator very easy to work with. Always a lot of work to do. Not enough hours in the day to get it all done. Maintenance Director needs an assistant.
The gm is horrid
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 12, 2018
I loved working with my residents and most my coworkers. The gm was a nit picking micromanaging terror
The best part was listening to my residents learning from them. The hugs were the best
Pros
Residents
Cons
General manager
Horrible corporation
N/A (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORJune 9, 2018
I worked there for 8 years and they went through over 12 sets of managers. This place is a joke. All I heard from the residents was how bad the food is and how their rooms hardly ever get cleaned. They had the bus driver ,which is a MAN, cleaning rooms because they're always short staffed. I feel bad for the residents. They pay so much and get so little. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone wether it was to work there or live there.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holiday Retirement. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight