Holland America Line Employee Reviews

Good Atmosphere
Assistant Steward Lido (Former Employee) –  alaskaSeptember 18, 2018
many Indonesian people make me comfortable. feel like home for indonesian people. company provides many events for crew whic is very enjoyable. So, good enough for refreshing on board.
Good Company Bad Wages
Ship Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 31, 2018
Loved working for them but they only hire at minimum wage. Never implemented the cost of living increase, instead gave excuses. Shareholders before employees
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low wages
Deplorable.
Reservations (Former Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 27, 2018
One of the worst work experiences of my life. Very humiliating. Mean spirited management. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. The job is not secure.
Great company benifits
Accounts Receivable Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2018
vacation is started at 2 weeks and after 3 years you get 3 weeks vacation. you also get a greatly discounted cruise benefit every year and after 4 years you get 2 cruise benefits.
Fun Work Environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAAugust 8, 2018
They try to make work as fun as possible. Just wish the pay was more. There is very little overtime unless it's during close. Overall the executives are pretty considerate and the cruise perks are good.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Compensation
Enjoyed the work and people
Deisel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Juneau, AKJuly 30, 2018
I enjoy working with Holland America princess
Good hours
And always something to do
Would love to have full time position here
Will try and make that happen
Stress Mill
Accounts Receivable Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 26, 2018
this was not a positive environment, it was very much like a working mill, not comfortable or pleasant... Employees seem afraid all of the time and said very little around the office
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Sailing away onboard!
Party Planner (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2018
It was blessed with the opportunity to start working onboard days after my college graduation. Working onboard is where my knowledge of hospitality started to unravel itself. I had a handful of mentors from Hotel Managers, Executive Chefs and Operations Manager to assist with my growth.

From running events, entertaining guests, food and beverage knowledge, housekeeping and flowering arranging classes; I will forever remember my years onboard Holland America Line.
Working from home is nice but not worth the big brother effect
Reservations lead (Former Employee) –  SeattleJuly 20, 2018
This company use to be really good to work for but ever since they switched to working from home it has become terrible. Not only are they big brother by watching everything you do but they also lack the communication and just try to find ways to get rid of people. The benefits were okay but not the greatest and they just don’t treat you with respect or care about you as a person. What ever you do, Do not go on the lead line!! They treat you even worse there and they never let you go to any other department.
Knowledgeable and Fun
Bar Attendant/Server (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 13, 2018
I was fortunate enough to have experienced working in a well known cruiseline. wherein I was able to learned many things about the cruiseline industry specially giving quality service to the guest.
terrible place to wrk
Coffee house supervisor (Former Employee) –  Trapper Creek, AKJuly 10, 2018
I love all the seasonal people but the management never knows whats going on.
Lack of communication from top to bottom
everyone points the finger at someone else
can't really complain seeing as how most of the time, every single season there are new people, so no one really knows how to do their jobs until the end of the season
Exciting and fun travel
Production cast dancer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 10, 2018
During my time at Holland America, I got to travel to several different countries. It was the best travel experience I had ever experienced. The staff was friendly and engaging and I had loved working there.
If your goal is to make money, work here.
Server (Current Employee) –  Denali, AKJuly 10, 2018
Overall this is a great place to work. I have worked in Denali for about 5 years for many different companies and HAP is turning out to be a pretty good place. Employee dining could definitely approve and if you are vegetarian or vegan I do not recommend living on campus because you will almost starve or eat salads everyday. However, HR is sure to listen to your needs, if you are a good employee they do reward you and they have a good program for getting people to return. Overall its been a pretty fantastic place to work and I will probably come back in future seasons.
always learning new things
Fire Safety Attendant (Former Employee) –  USAJuly 9, 2018
performs maintenance, checks, and tests of firefighting equipment. management depends upon the manager. the hardest part of the job is when your colleagues or managers are not cooperative. the nice part is that you always got a chance to visit different places all over the world.
Pros
free accomodation
Cons
low salary
Productive work place
International Concierge (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 2, 2018
multicultural place to work great communication, friendly stuff, supportive management
Great experience traveling around the world.
I was able to obtain more experience in costumer services.
Pros
the work enviroment enjoyable
Cons
long hours working, the food
Self-satisfying
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Tok, AKJuly 1, 2018
Great place to work with good people. Enjoyed doing maintenance and interacting with customers. I wish that Holland America stayed in Tok, Alaska because many people relied on them for employment.
Great Summer Adventure
FOOD AND BEVERAGE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Denali, AKJune 29, 2018
Working for HAP Alaska Yukon was a great was to meet people from all around the world and the opportunity to travel to places I never though I could go. As a front line kitchen employee expect a normal hectic kitchen! The manager for our division was awesome and his door was always open to any employee.
As a seasonal manager here the biggest drawback is hiring remotely over the telephone and using video for interviews, in addition to hiring people and then they not show!
The culture can be one of a party atmosphere due to so many people being away from their normal life, but if you can steer clear of that you CAN go home with a chunk of $$$.
If it were not so far from my family - I would go back every year!
Pros
A great summer adventure, travel benefits, meeting people
Cons
Sometimes people hired in do not show
fun work place and nice
Florist Manager in Cruise Ship (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 13, 2018
we can have a lot of experience to be a part of team on board, have a lot of friends and knowledge of every thing. doing all jobs together with the team in every single day and had wonderful experience.
Pros
good fasilities
Cons
healthcare
Travel the world and get paid to do it
Future Cruise Consultant (Former Employee) –  Onboard different ships in the fleetMay 30, 2018
Working on a cruise ship offers you an unbelievable opportunity to travel the world. Work days are long and you work every day with no days off, no weekends off or holidays off. But the reward is being able to visit a different country every day, explore ports of call, and meet people from all corners of the globe. The hardest part of the job is being away from your family and friends and missing Christmas's, Thanksgiving's, Birthday's, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with crew members from around the world, making lifelong friends and seeing places in the world that you never knew existed or only read about or have seen on tv. In my 14 years working onboard ships, I've traveled to all 7 continents and over 100 countries. Amazing!
Pros
Opportunity to travel the world, great work environment, meeting people from around the world
Cons
Contract lengths
WCR Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 18, 2018
Work at home, if that's your thing. Has great opportunity within the company and you feel like you actually mean something. Advancements happen with the year for new shifts or movement. Great people, still lifelong friends with many today.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland America Line. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.