Holland America Line Employee Reviews

Great Summer Adventure
FOOD AND BEVERAGE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Denali, AKJune 29, 2018
Working for HAP Alaska Yukon was a great was to meet people from all around the world and the opportunity to travel to places I never though I could go. As a front line kitchen employee expect a normal hectic kitchen! The manager for our division was awesome and his door was always open to any employee.
As a seasonal manager here the biggest drawback is hiring remotely over the telephone and using video for interviews, in addition to hiring people and then they not show!
The culture can be one of a party atmosphere due to so many people being away from their normal life, but if you can steer clear of that you CAN go home with a chunk of $$$.
If it were not so far from my family - I would go back every year!
Pros
A great summer adventure, travel benefits, meeting people
Cons
Sometimes people hired in do not show
Great Location
Staff Accountant-Inventory Accounting (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAApril 19, 2018
Growing with the company has taught me how to be an expert in our product. It is very important to know the foundation of each company to really appreciate who you work for.

Management was for employees taking vacation and time spent with family. Cruising was highly encouraged for employees. Most importantly seeing their employees advance in their careers.

The work culture was "Customer Service" we thrive and providing the best service to customers on board a ship and/or in the office.

Working here the past years I have seen people come and go. However, I have made life lasting friendships with co-workers, which makes the work place fun.

The hardest part about the job is the ever advancing growth of the company. Recently the company has merged with two other companies so the work load has doubled.
Pros
Company Activies
Cons
Pay is below market rate
Fun Work Environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAAugust 8, 2018
They try to make work as fun as possible. Just wish the pay was more. There is very little overtime unless it's during close. Overall the executives are pretty considerate and the cruise perks are good.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Compensation
A most fulfilling work experience.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 3, 2018
A typical day at work is serving the ship's guests, people from different countries and cultures, offering them our best services. Management looks after us well is most helpful when in need of assistance. Cruising around the world is the best part of the job.
More then just a job
Assistant Cruise Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 9, 2018
Working on a Cruise Ship is more than just a job, it becomes a lifestyle. You must be willing to work hard, everyday, for months at a time without any days off. Work schedules change, but you should be prepared to work 10+ hours daily. Many of the jobs are too different to try and compare, but ALL of the positions require hard work. If you're willing to put up with the cramped rooms, strict rules, hard work, and occasionally nasty guests, you'll be rewarded with some of the greatest people you'll ever meet, the chance to travel all around the world, and a great opportunity to save your money.
always learning new things
Fire Safety Attendant (Former Employee) –  USAJuly 9, 2018
performs maintenance, checks, and tests of firefighting equipment. management depends upon the manager. the hardest part of the job is when your colleagues or managers are not cooperative. the nice part is that you always got a chance to visit different places all over the world.
Pros
free accomodation
Cons
low salary
Productive work place
International Concierge (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 2, 2018
multicultural place to work great communication, friendly stuff, supportive management
Great experience traveling around the world.
I was able to obtain more experience in costumer services.
Pros
the work enviroment enjoyable
Cons
long hours working, the food
Working from home is nice but not worth the big brother effect
Reservations lead (Former Employee) –  SeattleJuly 20, 2018
This company use to be really good to work for but ever since they switched to working from home it has become terrible. Not only are they big brother by watching everything you do but they also lack the communication and just try to find ways to get rid of people. The benefits were okay but not the greatest and they just don’t treat you with respect or care about you as a person. What ever you do, Do not go on the lead line!! They treat you even worse there and they never let you go to any other department.
enjoyable work environment
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  united statesOctober 27, 2018
-a lot of pressure but challenging
-learned to smart always
-supportive
-lack of manpower and lack of equipment to use specially when the guest are coming in and have a different order from the menu
- shore leave and was able to go to different places around the world
Pros
free meal and accommodation
creates an enjoyable trip
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 24, 2018
working on board a moving train, is difficult, but the views, and the fun you have daily, surpasses all that.

the management sometimes contradict each other, not on the same page at all times.

the food is good

the hours are great
the pay in minimum

Want to know more about Holland America Line?

Ask a question
Sailing away onboard!
Party Planner (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2018
It was blessed with the opportunity to start working onboard days after my college graduation. Working onboard is where my knowledge of hospitality started to unravel itself. I had a handful of mentors from Hotel Managers, Executive Chefs and Operations Manager to assist with my growth.

From running events, entertaining guests, food and beverage knowledge, housekeeping and flowering arranging classes; I will forever remember my years onboard Holland America Line.
No complains
Manager - Supply Chain Logistics (Current Employee) –  Dania Beach, FLApril 3, 2018
Good company, corporate culture, stressful job but manageable
Best of all jobs is the ppl; like any other big company a lot of things to fix like HR, compensation, favoritism
Pros
People
Cons
Upper management
Challenging, rewarding, exciting place to work
Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  variousNovember 8, 2018
Holland America Line is a growing company with opportunity. On board lifestyle is challenging and rewarding, ever-changing and exciting.

If ensuring your guests are delighted, cherished and entertained and you love to travel Holland America would be a great place for you to venture into the world of working at sea.

Days are challenging and can be long but the rewards outweigh any difficulties. Every day is a learning opportunity and, for those willing, you will be challenged and rewarded on a daily basis.
Fun work environment
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 23, 2018
Overall great company, beautiful brand new office with great view, and open office concept. Workplace culture is rather old-school, however, low stress and overall coworker relation is great. 9/80 schedule is a huge benefit, every-other Friday off. Cons: lack of advancement and workload.
Pros
Cruise Benefits, 9/80 schedule
Cons
Advancement, Competitive pay is low for certain positions
Great experience working along diverse cultures.
Assistant Food and Beverage Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 13, 2018
It was a great learning experience working with world class chefs and various cultures. Management was old school and very rigid. The culture was very proper, but were disassociated between departments, management, and crew.
Pros
Great destinations and working with the various people.
Cons
The environment was very stoic. It had a lack of urgency and energy.
terrible place to wrk
Coffee house supervisor (Former Employee) –  Trapper Creek, AKJuly 10, 2018
I love all the seasonal people but the management never knows whats going on.
Lack of communication from top to bottom
everyone points the finger at someone else
can't really complain seeing as how most of the time, every single season there are new people, so no one really knows how to do their jobs until the end of the season
Good Company Bad Wages
Ship Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 31, 2018
Loved working for them but they only hire at minimum wage. Never implemented the cost of living increase, instead gave excuses. Shareholders before employees
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low wages
Great company benifits
Accounts Receivable Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2018
vacation is started at 2 weeks and after 3 years you get 3 weeks vacation. you also get a greatly discounted cruise benefit every year and after 4 years you get 2 cruise benefits.
Deplorable.
Reservations (Former Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 27, 2018
One of the worst work experiences of my life. Very humiliating. Mean spirited management. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. The job is not secure.
Enjoyable company
Personal Cruise Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 10, 2019
Great company with an old fashioned way of running the business. I telecommuted so I did not go to the office but learned how to manage my day and find a good at home routine. I highly respect my Supervisor! The hardest part of the job was the transition home and staying connected to fellow coworkers and the company. I love the industry and what I discussed on a daily basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland America Line. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight