Holland America Line
Happiness rating is 71 out of 100

Holland America Line Employee Reviews

Holland America Line insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Fantastic company to work for, i feel.its the nicer side of Carnival corp.

Great upper management, fantastic shipboard experience, making the switch to corporate office seemed to be a difficult thing to make happen though, overall it was a brilliant 10 years of employment.

Great company to work for but felt undervalued

I enjoyed my time at Holland America Line. My only concern was that I did not feel that they valued their reservation agents as mush as they should. At least that was my feelings for the most part.

Pros

Free yearly cruise

Cons

Not any that I can think of

Kerja d Holland America Line

Kesejahteraan karyawan sangat kurangTidak ada liburDiskriminasiTidak ada tunjangan pensiun

Pros

Bisa keliling dunia

Cons

Gaji kecil. Tidak ada libur, diskriminasi

great place to work as a second income to a foamily.

wages were low. Didn't get a pay raise until they raised the minimum wage in Seattle. Health insurance was horrible. plan didn't cover much and they only paid part of the premium. It cost me $90.00 every paycheck.the work was good and even fun sometimes. The cruise benefit was awesome!!!! 14 days free cruise/s. So if your partner has a good paying job and health insurance then This pklace would be a great place to work.

Pros

free cruise and discounts on air and hotels.

Cons

health insurance sucks and bases pay and bonoses are low.

Unity in diversity

It was great work with Holland America Line, employees from different country, different culture work together in harmony. Nice workplace culture, everybody treated with respect.

The guests were the best part of this job, management was the worst part.

I loved my job but hated working for the shirts and ties who’s main concern was how to look good to the board of directors. Not being heard was extremely frustrating. No empathy especially during the COVID 19 fiasco of 2020. I could go on but why bother, it doesn’t change a thing. Oh but I will say, the customers best interests were always considered a priority with me even if they weren’t with management.

Pros

Work from home.

Cons

Poorly managed all the way up the ladder. High turnover.

Lots of social events

Teamwork ,respect your senior, stay cam and focus towards your job,guide your team mates when necessary,keep positive thinking it will help you to grow

Pros

Free food and free accommodation

Cons

Break sift and free health care

It started out alright

I was a reservations agent for almost a decade. It’s almost impossible to change depts or get promotions. It got so repetitive and caused me so much anxiety, and I had hardly any support from my supervisors. They would change policies constantly and we’d be the last to know, and we’d be penalized if we weren’t mind readers. The annual “free” cruises were only for the cruises that nobody wants to go on, and you only get three weeks notice if you get approved, so anywhere but local cruises are off the table because you don’t have time to make travel arrangements. You pay so much for benefits, and have a ridiculous deductible and the insurance hardly covers anything. Time off requests were pretty easy, and you do get quite a bit of paid days off which was nice. Seniority means nothing. They only care about your sales numbers.

Pros

Vacation days, work from home

Cons

They don’t appreciate you, benefits suck, management doesn’t support you, no chance to move up in company

Nice working place

You will enjoy working with Holland America Line Cruise Ship when you love your job, a lots Training for the crew just to make sure you are sharp with your skill and knowledge of your functions and up to Company standars,, eventough you working spilt schedule for 11 hours a day for 10 months contract, No official day off but you will just enjoy it because you love your job, I am working in the Lido Restaurant, Canaletto Italian Restaurant my last functions is waitress in Pinnacle Grill Restaurant overall base on my experience just treat them with tender love and care, give them your excellent service, concerns with the guest needs,, because most of HAL Guest is senior or elderly people just be happy with them if they're happy and give you compliments in Guest card and company Recognize you they will give you an award as Employee of the month,..I was 4 times become HAL Employee of the month from 5 times Contract i had done, Thank you.

Pros

Free lunch off

Cons

Be selfish and stay quiet and you'll do good.

So much turnover. Managers make less than the PCC's they manage and have so much to do they are never able to help. Even though the PCC's bring in some of the most $$ for the company they're also the last to know about anything new, or noteworthy.

Pros

work from home, benefits

Cons

micromanaged, not flexible

Interesting people and place to work!!

Holland America Line is a fun place to work for. Being on ships and meeting a ton of different people from all over the world is a plus. The free travel is pretty amazing too. They treat their staff with respect. We worked everyday as photographers and we worked a lot. That's one down side.

Pros

Free travel and free room and board

Cons

Long hours and working everyday

Personal Cruise Consultant - Good money, inconsistent company

Your schedule is based on your performance. If you don't have top sales for the department you get last pick in schedules whether it works for you or not. Management is ALWAYS changing. Like every other month. There's no encouragement from your supervisors and if you need help it often takes weeks for them to get back to you with a resolution. They are underpaid and overloaded.Pay is good if you work hard for it, but it takes years to earn up your commission as you get paid 2-3 months after the guest sails - which could be next month or in 2 years. When you leave, you don't get the commission you earned. They are deceiving and always say "we are in this as a team" or "do it for the team" but never want to back you up when you need it. You have to be selfish in this department, sadly, otherwise you will get railroaded. Don't be fooled - even as a top earned, you are replaceable. They will hire new employees frequently and can senior employees or top earners who have years of cruises booked out already.

Pros

work from home, good money, good benefits

Cons

no support, no security, coonstantly changing management

Good place to work.

A good place to work, most interactions with colleagues and managers is professional and respectful. My time there was positive and ai kearned a lot. Opportunities for more responsibility and advancement are there.Compensation and benefits could use improvement.

Pros

Positive work culture even during stresfull times.

Cons

Salary increases.

Bekerja sembari menikmati perjalanan ke beberapa negara di kapal pesiar

Saya sangat beruntung bisa bekerja di kapal pesiar milik Holland America. Kita bekerja sembari bisa menikmati perjalanan berkunjung ke beberapa negara. Pada saat kita bekerja sangatlah fokus thd pekerjaan kita dan sangat memperhatikan faktor keselamatan pd saat istirahat kita dpt menikmati keindahan dan mengetahui tentang pulau atau negara yg kita kunjungi

Pros

Buffet parasmanan sesuai dengan etnis

Cons

Pergunakanlah waktu makan dan istirahat se baik2 nyat

Very disorganized and mislead on job description, not sales but customer service

This is not a sales position. This job is a mixture of database management, defusing customers, and some sales mixed in. The supervisors can't really offer support and are too busy too help but coworkers are very helpful. I spend too much time looking for information in the internal website, I don't even think that supervisors know the answers. The training felt rushed and incomplete, I feel like I'm struggling everyday just to keep up with current changes. Most of my day is spent cold calling people who aren't interested in cruising and don't want to be called, this is the opposite of what I was explained in the interviews. Management changes their direction constantly and don't have very much job knowledge. The morale is very low and nothing is done to improve it. This is a very stressful working environment with minimal reward. The pay structure was misleading and not realistic. This is definitely a call center job that has the added responsibility of a never ending steam of emails, surveys, angry guests and policy changes, not the lucrative sales position at a high end cruise line that was explained to me. I feel like I was hired to just convince customers to keep their money with the company and go on a different cruise. The managers spend more time figuring out how not to pay us for new sales instead of helping. Look elsewhere, it's a disaster of a company with low ethics, inexperienced management and high expectations.

Pros

Weekends off

Cons

Low pay, high stress

Low pay- too many job performance reviews-job is very boring...

Training was horrible and incomplete-their major cruises are to Alaska and there should have been given a free cruise and tour of Alaska to understand how complicated it is to book this tour since there are so many combinations. reservations system is very tedious and not helpful since it takes so long to find info on any subject or cruise itinerary! very frustrating!

Pros

Nothing!

Cons

Boring!

Great summer gig!

This is the perfect summer job if your in between semesters of school, looking to fund a year traveling Asia, or living the van life. The perks of being able to explore Alaska on your days off and participate in free or reduced cost excursions made the summer memorable. The hours can be grueling at times but in the end work could feel like play alot of the time.

Pros

Feels like a paid vacation

Cons

Long hours and the stress of lots of people interaction.

It has its good and its bad

Workplace culture in need of reform. Ill treatment of staff who build the company. HR culture not quite fair as it seems more based on management opinion and will

Pros

Employee Travel Benefits

Cons

Old systems not valid for the modern day cruise line industry

Lingkungan kerja yang santai

Sangat menyenangkan sekali kerja di HAL. penuh kekeluargaan dan selalu happy.

Truly a great company to work for

I was apprehensive working for a corporation after being in the private sector. They truly care about each employee. If I needed time for anything whether personal or or professional they bent over backwards to accommodate my needs. I loved the team I worked with. If I hadn't needed to retire I would be with them for years to come!

Pros

Worked from home - Small Teams

Cons

Had to work some weekends and holidays

Terribly Managed

People don't quit thier job, they quit management. This is the most chaotic, disorganized company I have ever worked for. No support. Management give only negative reinforcement. Horrible morale company wide. Zero consistency. Sales goals increased while the pay structure decreased. Business is S L O W yet they're hiring even more sales people. No leads. Regurgitating the same data base over and over. Management team in the sales department literally has ZERO sales experience yet try to micromanage a sales team.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Horrid management, disorganized chaos, management LIES

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland America Line. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss