Holland America Line
73Above average

Holland America Line Employee Reviews

United States475 reviews
Such amazing history with an amazing product and an incredible sales team and sales support team.
Was able to take some incredible trips representing the company
Pros
Great company - amazing sales team
Cons
Constant downsizing periods
Great company and great salary,
But its very hard to move to a higher level postion once are hated by higher ups (supervisor).
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Waktu rehat sedikit dan jauh dari keluarga
Overall, Holland America is a good place to work. The pay tends to be on the low side but there is room for advancement and you will want to advance for better pay. Yearly increases are only 2% - 3%. People tend to be helpful and approachable.
Pros
Near bus line
Cons
Pay
Love to work on this company....they are providing everything for your needs when onboard..e g medical, food, recreation room etc. Don't you wish as complete as on the land, at least they provide...so you can save your money while you traveling around the work....
Pros
Food and laundry are free
Cons
Health care
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Starting as a contracted employee it was a great fit and when transferred to a permanent employee they helped me to accommodate to my work/life schedule so I could care for my family as well as provide for them. Management with first position was very helpful and understanding and helped to learn more about the processes. Second position was a different area that I was unaccustomed to so the tasks were a little harder and more tense. Some help was provided but then felt that I was being pushed out.
Pros
Amazing co-workers and environment. Loved the Lido deck cafe, great food and options.
Cons
Some management issues depending on the department
Holland Ameri line, is the best company.. but i love to take different challenge... who don't want higher salary... if i get more salary off i will go for it.. work at holland america line is the best ...
Pros
Free food
Cons
Hours are ok
เที่ยวรอบโลกแบบไม่ต้องเสียตังค์
ประสบการณ์การทำงานบนเรือสำราญ

และได้เรียนรู้การทำงานกับชาวต่างชาติ
Pros
ได้เที่ยวรอบโลก
Cons
งานหนักสมคำล่ำลือ
Holland America Line does not treat employees equaly. Asians do not get good treatment as good as the other ethnic or nationality.
I also found a working contract violation.
Great place to work, but COVID-19 didn't do anyone any favors. Hope to see them rebound strong in the next year after things get better. Great team, management, and people. Great industry as well that is hurting. HAL will rebound better than most!
Pros
Every other Friday off and great travel benefits
Cons
Covid-19
Literally the best place I've ever worked. Management helps you at every turn and everyone wants you to succeed. They pay fairly and even help you obtain your CDL!
Pros
Great Management, Positive work environment
Cons
None.
Experience to explore many countries and places around the world with salary in US $$$.
Its fun , so enjoy work at holland america line.

Had many friends around the world.
Working for Holland America Line was very productive, you were not given anything that you couldn't handle. There are many reports and information that is provided to you for doing the best job you can do.
Pros
Bidding for work hours based on senority
Cons
Sometimes the occasional upset customer
Renowned cruise line, having 150 yrs of cruise catering history, corporates managers were high qualified and very professional , they promote internal growth in cruise line for employee, guests have long association with this cruise lines, so high number of repeaters, makes it very demanding , yet challenging for crew to cater the services. Proud to be part of this team
Pros
Internal growth of crew members and homely enivironment
Cons
Need to have more and mixed nationality in work environment
Holland America Lines gave me the opportunity to travel the world for free. Through its shore excursion program, it taught me how to deal with guest onboard, helped me explore different places, meet other nationalities, experience other culture and traditions. I learned the world is getting smaller. The hardest part of the job is guest complaints but hey it's part of the job we signed up, customer service at it's best, to make sure they have the best guest experience onboard. The most enjoyable part of the job is I can join the shore excursion for free.
Pros
Free food, board and lodging plus travel benefits
Cons
Sea-based, Far away from my family
It astounds me to see how a corporation never understands that by cultivating and taking care of your employees, will pay dividends in the long run. This company hasn't a clue. They have analysts behind the scenes who've never performed as a cruise consultant and yet they are the experts based on the "numbers". You get zero encouragement from management and zero rewards aside from your commissions/pay. Anyone who's been in sales knows that sales people are motivated by KUDO's. Not this company, they just want to you call more, book more, close more and keep your mouth shut about it. If they tell you to paint the sky purple and black, you'd better do it or else!
Pros
Great product
Cons
Management and the corporation staff as a whole
I love to a seaman. That company realy good for Guest. But live on board, we separeted by officer and crew, for me its bad. Nice place to now about world
Es una empresa que te hace crecer y te enseña muchos valores además de que te prepara para cualquier situación se emergencia en el mar.
Pros
Conocer el mundo, gente y sueldo
Cons
Ninguno
Unfortunately during COVID my services are no longer needed. However the company did an outstanding job keeping us all on as long as they could ... I felt 100% support until the very end and they took good care of us with the layoff as well. I LOVE this company. Thank you HAL.
Pros
manager support, smart people, fun job, remote opportunities
Cons
I work in many different parts of the company and found most helpfully at times. When working with the company vessel and officer found that i was more respected as I came up the ranks and had a idea of the points raised by the captains and chief engineers.
What was not so good was the new entry and the basic knowledge due to lack of hand on training .

I was impressed with some of our out vendors and the skill set used on our projects
working on the cruise ship are similar with hotels but more under pressure and energetic. the duration of contract is 8 month onboard and 3 month off, should pass the medical examination, US visa and other documents
There are so many VPs and Directors there and not enough people to do the actual work. Management does not clearly communicate and when they do communicate it is vague or not the whole truth.
Pros
the cruise and travel benefits
Cons
too much work for too few people