HollyFrontier Employee Reviews

No work/life balance & poor leadership.
Project Manager/Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, KSAugust 3, 2018
No work/life balance unless management was confronted then they talked about the importance of balance. Promotion was based on who liked you, nothing to do with qualifications. Additionally, experience was not considered important. Overall, poor leadership.
Poor Management & Team Players
Shift Foreman (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 2, 2018
I wished I could say something positive about HollyFrontier Company but the only thing I can say is that the company does pay well. I worked 14 months trying to make the company successful using all years of experience and skills but I was treated like a outside and most of the management team players didn't want me there.
Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 24, 2018
Excellent place to experience every type of industrial power and controls scenario imaginable. If you are driven by technical challenges, and experiencing different facets of industry Holly is a great place. The scale is large enough that it gives you a taste of everything.
Cons
Cyclical O & G driven
Amazing company
Step-Up Process Operator-Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 19, 2018
Holly Frontier changed my life. I learned something new every day and knew that my safety was the number one goal of the Company. The hours are rough and the schedule can be difficult.
Pros
stock
Cons
schedule
Typical corporate job
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2018
Good people, great location, ability to work 9/80...it's your typical office job. Not much excitement in the office. Very traditional and outdated. The work isn't hard but can be challenging.
clickish
Oil and gas construction (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 6, 2018
They don't always advance based on experience, nor recognize the value of someone's self investment to grow. Over all the company its self is a solid company.
I really enjoyed my time there
Procurement Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 27, 2018
A great place to work. Everyone and I mean everyone was willing to take time out of their day to help you or give information about a topic of interest. Work life balance was top notch and everyone seemed to be mindful of making the workplace a great place to work. As an intern, I was given meaningful work and real feedback for my outputs.
Pros
Freedom, assistance, trust
Cons
Industry
No Culture
Lead Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 22, 2018
No culture, no diversity, people would overstep boundaries by looking into personal lives of coworkers. You had to be in the "in crowd" to be promoted. Managers only spoke to certain people.
Not bad
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 28, 2018
Frontier oil for a corporation was a good place and good people to work with good pay and benefits. Mangement staff was not fair. To all the employee s
Zero work life balance
Operator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 6, 2017
I am a former employee of 10 years. If you're a single, tail kissing, individual who is willing to work endless hours then this is the place for you. In Tulsa, overal the management is horrible and demands production no matter if the job is done safely or not. I personally witnessed a significant injury on equipment that had been written up several times. There are many good people located at the Tulsa refinery but the management is very very poor.
could be a great place to work
Warehouse Clerk/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYSeptember 22, 2017
great work to do. I work in the warehouse and the people I worked with was top notch and fun. Had poor management with mass confusion on how things should be run.
Pros
good work enviroment fuun people to work with good benifits
Cons
poor managment
Great Company
Senior Economics and Planning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, Texas USAAugust 26, 2017
Very good culture. The people are skilled and politics are minimal. The company is well managed and the personnel selection keeps the culture very positive.
Fast Pace
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NMAugust 9, 2017
Very fast pace, Only two women doing all of the data entry for the trucking company.
Worked with several different companies on run tickets.
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Pros
Learning data entry
Cons
Good Learning experience
Higher Paying with Loaded Stress and Old School Management
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousAugust 2, 2017
A high-stress job with very old school management that is more about looking good than doing a good job. Poor management styles with growth only if you can impress the right person. The culture is very poor and they do not care because they pay well so people stay.
Pros
Higher Pay
Cons
Not a very good culture.
New Management Team - lots of challenges
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 7, 2017
I've worked at HollyFrontier since 2011.

As of 2016, a new management team has taken over that is promising change and doubling the size of the company by 2020.

That will be great for people at the top but the probably withe the culture is that all the support groups will or have been pushed to the limit because management does not want to add head count or add employees to the bench.

The company can have great work/life balance. However the trade-off to this advantage is that advancement in your career is difficult. Not unlike many other corporations, politics play a heavy part. The historical advancement process is to wait for the individual in front of you to either leave the company, retire, or any number of reasons besides your own performance. It is well understood that not every junior level employee can become manager but if HollyFrontier wants to play with the big boys (Valero/ Phillips 66 / Tesoro) - it will need to managed its talent in a similar manner. HFC's peers have well-developed succession and rotation plans in place that allow for development and retention of its employees.

Culture here is very laidback and it can be fun. Mostly a good ol' boys club and not much gender or racial diversity - Not as bad as other oil and gas companies but still very apparent.

I do believe in some of the management here but HFC needs a serious culture overhaul and if you are looking to advance quickly, this is not the time to join. There are some serious structural issues that need to be repaired so that your career is not held hostage (speaking from experience).
  more... Even working for a great boss does not translate into career advancement.  less
Fun and productive office dynamic
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 5, 2017
I love working at Holly Frontier and really enjoy my fellow yield accountants. The office dynamic is very laid back but structured, which I enjoy. The work is challenging and offers continuous growth.
Pros
Great people; small team
Cons
na
productive place to work
Journeyman Pump Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Woods Cross, UTJanuary 24, 2017
good coworkers and team building program great benefits and pay one of the best jobs I have had would work for them again.
Pros
paid lunch
Great people and loved selling ATV's and Watercrafts, Also farming equipment
Environmental Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NMSeptember 16, 2016
Looked up parts for farming and industrial equipment.
Unloaded atv's and assembled them before selling to customers.
Enjoyed meeting many different people!
Pros
Commissions on sales
Cons
Worked every Saturday for many years
im a fast learner
Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NMMay 1, 2016
I can start any day I an a hard worker I don't like to miss out on my jobs I learned a lot about farming my haresr part was moving tarps
Gdcgv fhncd. Ybccgn
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
i have bad ashma
Great
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  West Bountiful, UTDecember 20, 2015
I had a great time working for them they were always willing to work with you and the management is great.You go to work every day knowing what job you are doing and the people you work with have positive attitudes, also the Foreman that works there is intelligent and teaches you in a educational and effective manner.
Pros
Long work hours
Cons
No benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HollyFrontier. Our community is ready to answer.