HOLT CAT

HOLT CAT Employee Reviews

United States147 reviews

trainingdepartmentadvancementbenefitemployeefamilyopportunitybad

Fast paced

Decent benefits. Pay is average for the industry. Lots of training opportunities. Management does not prioritize employee development so it's up to the employee to figure out what training they need. Pay scale is all over the place and not directly tied to knowledge,experience, or work ethic. Overall would recommend.

Not a terrible place to get your career started

To start out in the company it’s not bad at all. Trucks come tooled up, plenty of OT available. Downside is that it is hourly but your work orders are flat rated and for certain customers it is not nearly enough time to finish the job. Trucks are also an issue the new trucks coming in have a lot of issues and the older lien trucks are held together with band aids and bubble gum

HOLT CAT insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Great place good benefits

Awesome company to work for, no where is perfect by any means but the good definitely outweighs the cons. Management has our backs and seems to be very flexible and understanding of individual needs.

Bad environment

Bad management, disrespectful employees, complaints go unanswered, constant termination threats from management, extremely hard to take vacation days, constant rushing by supervisors even though departments are grossly understaffed. Racist employees.

Great work experience

Great work experience. Duties include major component removal and installation, final drive refurbishment and major engine repair on bulldozers, backhoes, scrapers and excavators. Other duties include electronic engine troubleshooting and hydraulic troubleshooting and repair. Promoted in June 2014 to Technical Services Field Technician. In this role I assist technicians in other departments with troubleshooting difficult engine, engine aftertreatment, electrical and hydraulic issues that require the use of specialized test equipment.

Long hours low pay and terrible management

I was excited when I got the job offer but it lower than expected for pay. I was told I would have reviews and that is when I could see a raise. It’s like .50 cents. It’s a guaranteed paycheck. But it low and they are not considering inflation.

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hour weeks

Cons

Forced over time when they want. Not your choice. Low pay

Good Workers Only

The best part of the job was getting in that work truck an getting off the property away from bossy management an the tension an taking care of my customers .

Great benefits

Great benefits and technicians. Best part is the relationships you build with customers, technicians and vendors. Some management needs to learn to treat people with respect and not play the favoritism game.

Caring Employer, Fun workplace

Values based leadershipGreat work-life balance vacation available upon hire. Personal development classesTraining could be betterOwners are young and innovative

Pros

Benefits, Vacation, Pay is good

Cons

Training, IT support could be better

Heavy workload, no training system in place

Lots of work. Managers in my department don’t have a handle on training or the workload or just don’t care. If you go to HR, they turn around and tell the managers. You don’t know who to trust because the manager talks to everyone about everyone else….and HR actually defends it. Filing system is way outdated and there’s a lot of double work.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor training, outdated systems, unprofessional management

Stable Company

Stable company most employees have been their over 10 years plus. Great employee recognition Thanksgiving dinner for employees paid by company. Benefits and vacation time begin day one. Training was not the best you learned as you go no growth within my department. Male dominated environment and culture. They look for ways to make sure employees are healthy by having medical professionals come to the job to give yearly exams.

Pros

Great Benefits and retirement match

Cons

Pay was below average

Fun work place

I was a welder mechanic, I did alot of everything involved in the dragline. The pay was ok just the travel was the bad thing for me. I have a family that cannot travel with me.

Pros

Per diem

Cons

Gone all the time

Good place if you have no family

Pays well but when I had a family emergency I was told I need to consider which was more important, my family or the company. Hint: the correct answer isn't family.

Pros

Benefits, pay, coworkers were helpful

Cons

Company expects to be priority over family

The work & career path is strongly determined by the Manager & Division

New owners have a lot of great ideas and are determined to push forward to diversify the company. The drawback is the middle managers who hoard knowledge, do their best to keep salaries at a low, and worst of all they fear anyone coming up that might look better than they do. There are quite a few folks just hanging on for retirement. It is fairly easy to jump from one area to another (after staying a year). However, there is some kind of unwritten rule that says the new salary can't be a large jump from the old salary. (which is crazy since its a completely different role) My advice, make sure your starting salary is fair to the market because increases are pretty minimal after that. Its great to be the new guy but after 5, 10, 15 years had to see newbies with less experience come in with higher salaries. Standardization across job roles is almost non-existent. They have some of the most screwed up job titles & definitions - I don't know if that is on purpose or to avoid paying market value on skill sets. Watch for the ace up the sleeve moves like you get a 1000 Christmas bonus that comes out of the profit sharing you would normally receive anyway in April. Vesting takes 6 years and match is at 3% (when its there) . On the plus side, the Accidental Death coverage is paid for by the company. Dental and Health plans are top notch and really work out ok if you are a single person, for a family not so much.

Pros

safety, values based, CEO's care & love us, some of the best people work her

Cons

pay, behind the curve on benefits, Mgrs below CEO often just pay lip service, some of the craziest people work heree to CEO...

Great benefits and pay along with the people. There will always be “those individuals” but management is great and pay along with benefits is really good as well.

Pros

Plenty room for growth

Cons

Time to move up

Great experience

Holt cat is a great place to wrench for. I believe the pay advancement needs some work but overall it is a fun and rewarding place to work for. They do have great benefits.

Bad management

I did not enjoy working for the company. Management we’re looking out for themselves and not the employees. Their training with sub par. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Great Company

Room for advancement, management is easy to get along with and welcoming to ideas. Great training opportunities (if you can get them approved). Promotes within, when possible.

Pros

Advancement and training

Cons

Forced to work a lot of OT in some departments

Good leaening but alot of politics

Working there was very good at the start. Lived going to work every day, pay was fair. The biggest downside was management politics would always bleed down to the techs. Also safety was said to be a big priority yet at the same time I was repeatedly told to do things a certain way that I knew were dangerous and against guidelines.

Great company

Been with the company many years and it seems even throughout the tough times of covid, you are still able to advance in your role. Working with management is a breeze. You do good work, get better rewards.

Holt is a great company to work for with great people with an easy-going atmosphere

Holt offers great opportunities within the company and lots of room for advancement and the opportunity to grow with a great company. Unfortunately compensation could use improvements most definitely in most cases as most people work extremely hard and do an amazing job. Holt is a great place and could lead to a life long career and endless possibilities.

Pros

There is always great opportunity for advancement and career change opportunities within the company

Cons

Easy-going atmosphere however pay is a little on the lower side

Common questions about HOLT CAT

Answered by current and former employees at HOLT CAT

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HOLT CAT. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits