Holtger Bros Management reviews

Horrible experience
Supposed "foreman in training" (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIMay 27, 2018
If you take time to do research, the only people that actually enjoy their jobs here are management who sit in their offices all day. They are however, the most polite people in the company.

Working in the field you are told that you are not expected to learn the entire job within a couple of weeks however, after the first two weeks you are expected to know every part of every job. The smallest mistake will result in a 15-minute lecture that leaves you feeling both demeaned and irritated. The only people in this company that actually succeed are ones that are family or have been with the company since the original managers we're still in field. As a field worker you are constantly talked down to, and if you try to resolve it as an adult and talk to your boss as though he's an equal, you are rejected from the company because it's considered wrong.

I started with holtger Brothers because I thought it would be an advancement and a career opportunity, and I was not happy to have to leave. However after consideration, I'm glad I was let go because the way they treat their employees is horrible and now I don't have to worry about being talked to like a five-year-old anymore.

The benefits with this company are excellent, however I would not expect anybody to actually benefit from them because they probably won't last long enough to get them. This company plays favorites like no other company I've ever seen.
Pros
Pay... sometimes.
Cons
Everything else
The worst company with the worst culture and the worst treatment of employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DepereApril 24, 2018
This is the worst place for an employee to ever consider working. Horrible treatment of employees by ownership and there was nothing enjoyable about the environment or culture. Very punitive in how it approached treatment of employees. The CEO makes decisions based on anger about how to treat employees and favors family only.
poor management
CDL driver (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIJanuary 6, 2018
Too many hours expected weekly. Not enough time to spend with family. Very poor management. No room for advancement. Benefits not beneficial. Had to train manager to correctly lead team.
Company is a joke
Forman (Former Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 14, 2017
The work hours suck never know when you will be done I worked 24 plus hours straight more multiple times the longest I worked was 36 hours stright then forced to drive cdl trucks. The equipment is unsafe the trucks do not pass inspections and they just tell you to drive them they do not care about there employs make you go into trenches with out shoring and if you don't you fear your going to get fired the turn over rate is so high they will hire anyone off the street and pay them little to nothing and don't expect a raise do not work for this company.
Very Poorly Managed and Inadequate Training
Utility Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIOctober 17, 2017
This was the strangest place that I have ever worked. The way that management treats the employees is demeaning and belittling. The turn over rate is so high that I witnessed someone get fired at least once a month which seems pretty high since there are only a handful of people that work in the office.

There was no proper training and if you ask the wrong question or don't ask the right question your on the cutting block, leaving you to walk on eggshells day after day while still trying to do your job well. The coordination of the projects was not difficult but treading through the mucky waters of the internal politics basically left you incapable of taking true ownership and pride in your work. The level of micromanagement was incomprehensible.

Also as a coordinator you are also required to carry around an after hours work "ER" emergency response phone which you must answer 24/7 which limits the places/things that you can do with your family during nights and weekends when you are on call. If the emergency phone rings you must drop everything and handle the emergency which could take HOURS to resolve. If the phone doesn't ring you are just left sitting on pins and needles waiting for it to and not making any plans "just in case" there is an emergency. The real kicker is that you don't get paid for being on-call until a call comes in. Until then you are left to plan your weekends around the ER phone and not getting a cent for it.

I would definitely not recommend ANYONE to take position here. It is a very unprofessional office setting with no room for growth
  more... and the pay was inadequate.  less
Cons
micromanaged, long hours, questionable job security
Official response from Holtger Bros
November 10, 2017

It's well-known that someone who has a great experience will tell only a couple of people about it, but someone who has a bad experience will tell the whole world.

You're talking about one department out of many in a large company and then saying that the company as a whole is terrible. I've worked at this company for years and I've never had an issue like this or even seen this happen before. How could the company survive for over 70 years if what you're saying is true? The majority of the employees in this company have been here for many years and will continue to be here for years to come.

If an employee has the the drive to work and will take the initiative to learn and to do their job well, then they will have a rewarding, long-term career with a company that values their employees and treats them like they're part of the family. Along with that, they offer an excellent benefits package that no other company can even come close to. Who wouldn't want to work for a company like that?!

Great place to work and build a long term career!
Manager (Current Employee) –  De Pere, WISeptember 29, 2017
I have been employed at HBI for many years. The company offers great compensation packages and exceptional benefits! We have a thriving team environment that allows everyone the potential to expand their career and grow with the company. Management supports their team but expects hard work and dedication to their job. This is a fast paced exciting industry, so you are always kept busy with things to do day in and day out; this is one of the many things I enjoy most about working for this fast growing, family owned company!

As a long term employee I have witnessed management work with our employees to ensure they are given the tools to succeed. Unfortunately not everyone wants to succeed. It is deemed unacceptable to spend your day on the internet pursuing personal searches on company time, such as job searches and playing computer games. While most employers would seek termination for doing things like this, HBI has the outlook to offer its employees a second chance if they aren't meeting expectations. As a co-worker I have witnessed employees do these items and be offered a second chance to redeem their career. Some chose to not see this second chance as a gift, but instead chose to state demeaning and untrue facts on social media forums. It is sad when employees do this and leave their team members to pick up the pieces.
Stressful, unfair work environment
Construction Coordinator (Current Employee) –  1556 Mid Valley Dr, De Pere, WIJuly 27, 2017
I would never recommend working here to anyone I know. The job itself is extremely demanding. You are required to "coordinate" an area on your own but yet management steps in and micromanages everything you do- from sending emails to making phone calls. You are not allowed to make phone calls to anyone outside of the organization without approval from a manager, even if it's necessary to properly do your job. There is no proper training for the job. The company cannot keep employees so they are always understaffed. Because of the lack of staffing, only one person can ask off at a time, which can be difficult if something pressing comes up. You are required to be "on call" to handle emergencies at least once a month, however you do not get paid to be on call. The only good parts of the job are that the insurance is decent and its a steady schedule.
Pros
Insurance, steady schedule
Cons
Lack of training, underpaid, understaffed, awful management
Hard work, extreme conditions, treatment of workers by management is poor.
Field Trainer (Former Employee) –  State of WisconsinDecember 12, 2014
Owner micro manages and has unrealistic expectations. Turnover rate of employees is very high. Upper management tends to treat employees poorly, in a condescending way. Most equipment is outdated and just plain old.
Pros
Health benefits were excellent.
Cons
Work out doors in all kinds of weather.