Home Forward Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Wonderful place to work
Affordable and Supportive Housing Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 15, 2018
I loved my years working for this agency. I had numerous opportunities for advancement. Like all governmental agencies, budgets were always tight. Home Forward really does care about the community.
Its an okay place to work
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 10, 2018
I worked there five years and had three promotions. I thought the advancement was there due to my promotions. However, once you are getting noticed more than your supervisor then it becomes an issue because a lot of people have been there 20+ years because it is so laid back. Its hard to move forward working in the section 8 department.
Pros
great 401k and Christmas Funtion
Cons
pay is mediocre
Would not recommend
Property Management (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 2, 2018
Lack of training, support, and response from management, human resources and in fact anyone. Regular work hours, inflexible scheduling. Does provide good health and dental benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Company Culture, Management, Training, Support, Communication.
Productive and Welcoming Environment
Resident Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 19, 2017
Home Forward (BCC) is a really good job if you love working with homeless people . I loved it . You would hand out food, inspect their apartments, check their guest in and out . And also do some light housekeeping .
The employees are also extremely nice !
Pros
Long lunch, not much standing
Cons
Slow paced
Great Potential - Needs Direction
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 13, 2017
Home Forward has the potential to be great, what people expect it to be. Management needs some restructuring and more interaction with on-site staff. Home Forward needs to stress a good/healthy working environment.
Great Place to work
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 14, 2017
Supportive environment and great leadership. Learning and building my professional skills is also a great part of this organization. Happy to be of service to clients.
Pros
Good trainning
Cons
Innovative workplace with their heart in the right place
Rent Assistance Specialist & Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 31, 2015
Home Forward is an innovative establishment that continually looks to better the community and provide more services and subsidies to the community.

The benefits at Home Forward for those recently employed or those looking to become employed leave something to be desired. Although PERS may have been a great system for those who began working 15+ years ago this system no longer provides what I would consider a true retirement plan. Every few years the union and management bargain for benefits and raises. During sequestration Home Forward avoided forced lay-offs by reducing raises and increases employee cost of benefits. It appears that they are working to bridge this gap but it does not appear that it will happen very quickly nor will it reach the point where it once was. Keep in mind that there are no performance based raises. All union employees receive the same raises regardless of their work quality or proficiency. Due to this there is less of an achieving work ethic, rather simply a "get done what needs to be done and that's it" work ethic. This is not to say that management does not try to encourage a more productive and efficient work ethic-- they do-- but staff is not rewarded for working harder. Therefore not only are you working a thankless job, you are aren't compensated for the extra effort work you put in.

As a very independent, driven, and inquisitive individual I was able to move up within the agency very quickly. The information that I have learned and the experience I have gained has been completely worth it. Unfortunately the lack of performance based
  more... raises and the miniscule annual raises bargained for are not enough. To increase your income above essentially cost of living increases you must get promoted. If you move into management you have to pay 6% of your salary into PERs (whereas if you are union the employer pays it for you). I am personally not comfortable with the stability of PERs nor the miniscule 20% of my last three years salary working as a retirement plan. This may also be due to my age as I am looking for more aggressive retirement options.

Employee contribution to health: 15.5% of cost
Pros
Independence in the work place, Working for the community to make positive change and end homelessness
Cons
Low pay increases, Poor retirement
It was challenging.
Resident Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 14, 2015
Had I not broken my ankle, I'd still be there. I learned and grew more here than I thougt possible. My ego was of no consequence, but my actions counted for everything.
No Comment
APM (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 10, 2015
Home Forward is in the business of housing people from all walks of life. They have an excellent philosophy that supports the community and its needs for safe stable housing.