HomeAdvisor Employee Reviews

Best place I have worked
Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 20, 2019
The typical day in sales at HomeAdvisor starts with a lot of talking around a coffee pot. Followed by a team huddle where they go over the previous day's metrics and what needs to be improved moving forward. Lots of joking around, fun atmosphere, and team competitions. Management is great but slowly breaks down as you move up the ladder, with top execs seeming like they are more concerned about making money for their shareholders and not so much developing and improving the business and what it can do for the customers. The service works, but it seems like top tear management don't care about taking care of their customers and instead focus on mergers and fiscal analysis, which is fine but I think the bad reviews and service issues come from lack of caring. The best part of the job is the people and the culture, the job is hard and demanding but the people make it fun and the rewards for hard work are excellent, with park days, beer runs, happy hours, and an all around college atmosphere.
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2019
Really fun environment and the management is top notch. Probably the best company I ever worked for. They offer free food as well. Which was pretty neat for them to do.
Exciting work environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Golden, COAugust 11, 2019
Expectation of your daily work performance is to trive on ethic of sales, customer Service skills. Making money and knowing that YOU are making a difference within your work environment and your position helps to grow your customers business. You're an important persona, believe it or not!
Great place, if you can tolerate rejection.
Online Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2019
Great Place to work, but if you cant tolerate rejection and dont understand numbers, then maybe not for everyone. They offer free food, lots of paid time and contest for concert tickets and such.
Fun place to be
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Golden, COAugust 7, 2019
Great place to work, if you work hard you can make good money. If you are willing to learn and do your best it will
Work out. Can’t go in thinking it’s easy.
Very unprofessional
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 1, 2019
I worked here for a few months and had some of the highest sales numbers the whole time but I had to leave short notice after my cousin was murdered in New York. Upon returning, they are basically blacklisting me for some reason and not offering my position back. I just find this to be very unprofessional, I shouldn't be punished because of a tragedy in my life.if someone would want to get back to me bbowman97 at mail.com

Other than that there are some negative things about HomeAdvisor but the compensation outweighs all of them.
It was a great company to work for, Poor management.
Facilities Manager/ Security (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 31, 2019
I had a blast at Home advisor, great people, Great atmosphere and food food! The only downfall would be poor management. Of I had the chance I would go back.
Too many bad changes
Project Advisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 30, 2019
They play favorites. If you're a top performer, they give you higher paying leads to keep making their money. High dollar leads, they're instructed not to give out or they'll "get in trouble". If you struggle, they give you low paying leads and it's your fault you can't get anywhere.
They made changes to the pay structure twice. The first one was fine until too many people hit tier 4. They changed it to avoid paying out so much. They lied about the reason why just to make us feel better. Thinking we were too stupid to see what was happening.
Just don't even bother
Project Adviser (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 29, 2019
If you're in college or just out of college and want something more than what retail pays, it's probably perfect for you. But you're going to be stressed out. They care about numbers, not their employees. If you're not making the numbers they want, especially during the slow season, you're as good as gone and they'll push you until you leave.
Horrible Management, Stressful position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 25, 2019
Management threatened my job several times over arbitrary mistakes that I wasn’t aware I was making before I was yelled at. Micromanaged at every level, which changed every week, but which I would get in trouble for if I didn’t follow correctly immediately. Zero room for advancement. Management consistently acts like they are superior, and will even say things to that effect.
Indeed made me review
Inside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 19, 2019
I loved my time at HomeAdvisor. I was successful, made good money, had fantastic work / life balance ( at least while i was a sales rep) would recommend to anyone who can thrive in a high pressure / fast paced sales environment.
Great Stepping Stone, Horrible Job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 12, 2019
Before reading this, keep in mind I was a sales rep, and have no experience with the corporate aspects of Homeadvisor.

HomeAdvisor is a great place if you're fresh out of college and want to pursue a career in sales, account management, recruiting, or HR. Working there gave me the experience I needed to leverage a better position elsewhere. They also employ almost exclusively millennials, so the office is very friendly, lively, and fun. They also have very good healthcare benefits. These are the only positive things I can say about my experience. Now onto the bad things.

The work is grueling. You have exclusively cold leads, any warm leads are given to sales reps who are already established. You will realistically cold call 250 people a day. Your pay is garbage, and they lie about the expected income. The realistic income accounting for everyone on the bottom rung is around 40k, in stark contrast to the 76k they advertise. Furthermore, there are questionable ethical practices being employed systematically. I was encouraged on multiple occasions to lie to potential customers, or skirt the system so as to benefit Homeadvisor at the cost of the customer. The trainers and directors are transparently indifferent about your success, and for good reason; the turnover rate is so ridiculous that they barely bother learning your name. There is a constant parade of new hires coming into the office to replenish all the employees who quit.

In conclusion, working for Homeadvisor as a sales rep will make you wish you died in your sleep so you didn't have to go to work. However, stick
  more... it out for a month or two and you'll be qualified for much better positions at much better companies.  less
Overall healthy place to work, however depends on team
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 8, 2019
Company culture is very good here overall, and it's easy to meet others from outside the team and have a good work experience. Day-to-day experience and team culture still varies since direct managers have liberty to manage their teams how they see fit for success. This could be the difference between being limited to 40 hours a week and working 60-80 hours, or between open collaboration and strict hierarchy. Developers won't meet your team or manager in the hiring process, so make sure you have a 1:1 discussion with your manager to understand how the team works and how you're expected to fit into your role.

Regardless to the team, HomeAdvisor puts effort into developing their developers. Every two weeks sees a Java developers' guild meeting to extend all developers' knowledge on a topic, and associates hold a separate guild to share knowledge and experience for overcoming hurdles in the workplace.

With everything moving so quickly, it can be a challenge to keep up with what other teams have done or are doing. The company is still investigating old code, which means developers might find some oddities in their day-to-day.

The most enjoyable aspect of working for HomeAdvisor is working with a great set of people. The hiring team puts effort into hiring people that will help develop a good culture, which helps everything else flow in such a chaotic environment. Upper management are friendly and open people, and will pull Heaven down to Earth to help you when you're struggling with something.
Issa Vibe
media sales rep (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 2, 2019
The best atmosphere you'll ever experience in a work or leisure environment with the best perks! Perfect for the hungry salesperson seeking experience, hard to learn for the experienced. The earning potential is beyond ridiculous and if you can mimic your trainer TO THE T, you're set for life. If you can not., it is the best sales training in the history of sales training and it will be valuable for future endeavors. Very, very aggressive while making plays, and very, very who cares after the play has ended. You MUST find the balance!
Pros
free lunch and dinner
Cons
cold calling
SCAM! Chicago office is miserable!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2019
Long hours, terrible commission structure, and poor management is what makes this place what it is today. A lot of promises that never turn into anything because it is all lies. It is constant cold-calling all day, and yelled at if you do not hit a certain number. This was by far the worst experience and job I have ever had that is coming from myself plus others who are there or left. If you can get a better job do it cause this place is a trap. In my training class only a few are left because of the high turn over rate. EVERYONE LEAVES! Brainless job with little pay!
Beware
Sales rep (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 19, 2019
It looks good at first....but get ready to sale garbage to contractors.

We had motivational meetings every other day to encourage the employees how to sale. If you have to motivate a person to sale a product. It's not really that good.
Great work atmosphere for those interested in Sales
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2019
Do not recommend those not interested in cold calling, but great for those interested in sales because they have great commision and great atmosphere.
Overall great
Digital Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2019
Great place to work, free lunch and dinner is a huge plus, fun work environment, tons of contests, free tickets, raffles, cash giveaways, HUGE earning potenital. However if you are not super confident and focused it could be challenging and the base pay isnt enough to live off comfortably unless you are at home with mom. Also many unhappy customers make it discouraging at times. Just overcome objections and sell... some people are natural and make $6,000 2 week paychecks straight out of training. Is that normal? No. But I have seen it done.
Pros
Free food, great management, great culture
Cons
Challenging, tiring, frustrating at times to not hit commission over things like a background check not passed
Fun Workplace
Sales Executive Leadership Program (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2019
Very good place to work if you work hard and can learn from managers. Days go by quick, sometimes tough being on the phone all day. Great work life balance if you live close to work
The Best Contractors worst nightmare!
Contractor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 2, 2019
After countless lies and deadens leads, numerous refunds, and some I never could get money back. I finally had enough it was like watching your money catch on fire right before your eyes! The worst thing to do for a contractor!
Pros
They thought they were
Cons
everyone there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HomeAdvisor. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight