HomeAway Employee Reviews

AMAZING compensation, excellent staff!
Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 15, 2019
The compensation they offered was amazing. The staff was very kind and helpful. Room for advancement was always available. Atmosphere is very upbeat and laid back.
Pros
Free lunches, great insurance, unbelievable compensation
Cons
N/a
Best Culture I have worked in Yet
Customer Support/Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2019
Very relaxed environment. Supportive staff and breakfast Tacos on Friday! Measures and quotas are realistic and achievable. A great place to get grounded in the field of Technology.
HomeAway Employee Experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Joining the HomeAway team has been one of the best decisions I've made since moving to Austin. Prior to working here, I had already been reaped of the benefits of working for this company and how it has opened many doors for those looking for a future with a vastly growing industry. Since working here I have gained knowledge of the vacation rental industry that has greatly benefited on my outside life as well. I highly recommend joining this company if you have the passions to work in an environment that feels like home.
Competitive Work environment but relaxed atmosphere
Digital Sales Planner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 22, 2019
HomeAway provided a number of resources to advance your personal career knowledge but certain departments had quicker turnaround on projects than others. Merging with Expedia caused some things to change at HomeAway including the focus of the business and streamlining of processes. I overall enjoyed my time at HomeAway but wished there were more efficient ways of working across departments there.
Pros
Great Benefits.
Cons
Lack of C Suite Support
Great Benefits but poor hours and career advancement
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2019
HomeAway is pretty good to work for the real thing that makes it worth it is the benefits, the time off, the co-workers and the events paid for HomeAway. Other then that it is a fairly decent job there were some great managers my manager was not that great however was very rarely there. After about 6 months at HomeAway I just felt like a worker instead of a person they have a lot of confusing processes that constantly changed which made it hard to understand what was going on.
Pros
free lunches, benefits, Pto
Cons
hours, career advancment
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 27, 2018
Great benefits, fun culture, friendly people and great place to work overall. The only tip I'd give in hindsight is that they are a great place to move up, but only if you have a technical/software background. They strongly encourage internal job applications and moving around within the company, but there aren't many opportunities if you didn't major in software.
Pros
culture, several locations, sometimes allowed to work from home, flexibility
Cons
hard to move up from Customer Service
Good beginner workplace
Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 16, 2018
I found this was a place to start as a call center agent. I would take calls from both home owners and travelers and often have to take care of the situation should they find themselves stranded (they couldn't access the property or the property was changed at the last minute.)

Whereas the atmosphere is indeed more relaxed than other corporate cultures, it's better to work for them starting your career as a call center agent as opposed to trying to advance as an experienced one.
Pros
Relaxed, friendly management, great co-workers, free lunches
Cons
management could use a little work
Plenty of team activities
Marketplace Operations (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 8, 2018
Overall this is not a terrible place to work. If you are at least at an S2 pay grade life becomes a bit easier. Unfortunately as this company is based in Austin the pay does not match the cost of living and is a reason for a lot of employees stress.
The company does have a lot of team activities but there were all organized and started by employees.
The company is also going in a direction that most property owners are against.
Pros
4 weeks PTO
Cons
High stress due to negative owner calls
Valued all areas except Customer Experience
Premier Partner Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2018
HomeAway is a great company to work for, but they didn't value their Customer Experience employees as much as they should. They consistently over looked their opinions and didn't recognize the talent they already had in the company. Since the Customer Experience employees didn't have the educational background on their resume they were automatically excluded from transferring to different aspects of the company. As I was leaving the company, they were setting up programs to help curve this, but it took six months before I even saw a hint that those programs were taking off.
a place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 24, 2018
I loved working for Home Away. They do have high standards, but try to also work with you to get you to the point they would like you to be. ..
Great company for other departments other than Customer Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2018
I should've done more investigating into the Customer Service Representative role because what I was told I was going to be doing was definitely different than what I ended up doing. Yes, you speak to entitled homeowners and help them with whatever questions they have but the worst part they really don't like to tell you about is helping travelers. I have never experienced something so draining in my life.

A supervisor told me they never want me to feel like I'm "chained to my desk" but there are strict schedules you have to adhere to and if you're a minute or two late they're ready to jump on you. They're also quick to put agents on a performance plan for minuscule things and they have no intention on making it better. There's a reason why turnover is so high.

If you can handle entitled customers in a call center environment and very little collaboration or ability to move from your desk, this could definitely be your job.
Pros
generous PTO, well stocked kitchen
Cons
sick time took forever to accumulate, insane metrics standards
amazing culture, micromanaging supervisors
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 1, 2018
i was drawn to HomeAway because of its reputation as a fun, diverse place to work. The culture is great, there are a lot of fun events and clubs or groups to join. The call center is 24/7 so you are expected to work weekends and holidays. You get offered a schedule upon getting a job offer and you either accept it or don't. I was offered a choice between 1pm-10pm or 7am- 4 pm both with days off being Wed & Thurs. Not ideal for people with kids, but we made it work because the benefits are great. Unfortunately this type of schedule does take a toll on your family life, no matter how "balanced" the company claims to be. Additionally, the supervisors are all out for their own success and micromanage everything to the point of obsession.
Pros
Free breakfast Fridays, free snacks and drinks, benefits
Cons
Shift schedules, managers
Great company to work with
Pay to Procure Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2018
HomeAway is an exciting top tier technology company that is running ahead of the pack when it comes to innovation and industry disruption. HomeAway is focused on becoming one of the best companies to work for
Burn out culture
TRAINING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 18, 2018
The company is growing rapidly, and overall, it's been a good experience.

However, there is a pervasive burn-out culture here that has driven away a lot of talented people.

Okay benefits, very good PTO, and pay is competitive for the area. There is a lot of opportunity to learn and grow, but at the risk of exhaustion after a year or two.
HomeAway is an awesome place to work!
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 2, 2018
I really enjoyed working at HomeAway. The team was all very smart and motivated, the management was exceptional and the culture was the best of any place I've ever worked. There were difficult times as we incorporated companies that we'd purchased and brought them into our tech stack, but the great engineers ensured through cooperation and innovation that the process always went well.
Pros
Company culture and the folks that worked there.
Lead Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2018
I was employed by one of the companies that HomeAway bought out, BedandBreakfast.com, and as such was brought into the fold through a corporate merger. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at HomeAway and would love to stay with them if the opportunity arises, but due to the nature of our business I believe that might be impossible.

I'm able to work from home doing my position as a lead support specialist, but working remote hasn't afforded me the opportunities that it does other members of the HomeAway staff that are local.
Pros
Amazing Benefits, Great local work environment, flexible employment opportunities.
Cons
Lack of career advancement opportunities for remote employees, resource management toward product advancement
Not good since Expedia took over
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 1, 2018
HomeAway itself is a good company, with a chill vibe and smart people. Unfortunately, Expedia is trying its best to ruin this. Navigating between the 2 extreme cultures is very difficult, and there's always the feeling of inevitable takeover if Expedia has their way. HomeAway is relaxed and understands the need for work/life balance and continuing education. Expedia just wants you to put in the hours, doesn't matter if anything is getting accomplished. Not to mention they pinch pennies, especially for travel. Ironic, isn't it?
Pros
Austin Living
Cons
Seattle takeover
Integrated Property Managers Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2018
Management is always ready to help to improve your skills.
There a lot of space professional growth within HomeAway and the whole Expedia Group. I would totally advise the company.
HomeAway is a Great Company
Engagement Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 21, 2018
I have enjoyed working at HomeAway. My co-workers were very welcoming and I felt a part of the team immediately. The work is interesting and different every day.
I recommend applying for a job with HomeAway.
Great perks but difficult to get any work done
MARKETING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 8, 2018
Amazing benefits, overall great company culture, but management within my organization was weak and unprofessional. Lots of opportunities for growth and advancement at HomeAway.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HomeAway. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight